PDA

View Full Version : Can we have Roy back yet?

WhiteHarness
2009-01-29, 05:23 AM
Please?

He's been dead for how many strips now?

The other characters don't interest me as much, and this comic is beginning to drag. I want to see the Order of the Stick finally make some progress in their actual mission instead of the endless side-trips. With each new strip, I hope that some progress will be made, and instead I am usually disappointed with more setbacks. It's exhausting...

Kaytara
2009-01-29, 07:02 AM
Then again, there are those of use who're not just interested in Roy and enjoy seeing some high-quality character development.

If the others don't interest you as much, sorry, but tough for you. It's rather ironic that you're complaining about the comic dragging just when both the action and the update pace have picked up by a hugely friggin' significant margin. XD

And what do you mean, progress in their mission? Celia and Haley have just secured the Thieves' Guild support in recovering and raising Roy. This is the closet we've been to his resurrection in in-comic weeks.

Nimrod's Son
2009-01-29, 08:35 AM
I really don't understand this desire to have Roy brought back to life as soon as possible. Roy is, by quite some margin, the most often-featured character in the entire comic, and still regularly features in strips to this day. The story and characterization continue to improve, yet an awful lot of people keep clamoring for the days when it was just six people walking together 'round a dungeon, and the plot was no more complex than "find and kill the bad guy". The action had to move on from there, or the comic would have gotten stale very quickly... and likely not appealed to people who don't play D&D at all.

Janmorel
2009-01-29, 11:51 AM
Can we have Roy back? Nope, but V may be visiting him real soon...

David Argall
2009-01-29, 03:11 PM
Please?

It will be 200 soon enough, but have faith. It probably won't hit 230.

I really don't understand this desire to have Roy brought back to life as soon as possible.
Because this idea of the split party was dubious to start with, and does not improve with age. 2-3 people just can't interact in nearly as many ways as 6.

Roy is, by quite some margin, the most often-featured character in the entire comic, and still regularly features in strips to this day.
So? He is the star of the show. He's supposed to be the center of the action, not an off-screen commentator.

B.I.T.T.
2009-01-29, 03:29 PM
Patience, young skywalker. Roy will return when it is dramatically appropriate, the emperor has foreseen it.

TheBST
2009-01-29, 03:34 PM
Because this idea of the split party was dubious to start with, and does not improve with age. 2-3 people just can't interact in nearly as many ways as 6.

[Roy] is the star of the show. He's supposed to be the center of the action, not an off-screen commentator.

Really? I'm enjoying this arc/book more with every strip. Character development for a start. Without Roy to marshall them, the rest of the order have displayed sides of themselves we'd never have otherwise never seen.
The scope of the comic's world has expanded, the quest to save the world has become more realistically complicated and while it's been episodic by nature, the set-pieces have been well-orchestrated and the comic's been allowed to have more shades of darkness without sacrificing humour. Any other problems as far as I can see are ones that are inescapable as far as 'middle acts' go. The tangential parts of epic stories can be the most enjoyable parts- 'journey, not destination' and all that.

Oh and as for Roy's current state; 'supposed'? There are only four aspects to any story that are 'supposed' happen: beginning, middle and end. Anything else goes.

Zack Norglad
2009-01-29, 05:05 PM
Roy isn't the only thing that makes OOTS a great comic; it's the combination of well done characters, interesting plot lines (both main and sub plots), good humor and... Other stuff.

Roy still appears, and he still has a dominant role in the comic... His fathers blood oath actually makes the main plot of the whole series, and at the moment, his actions are irrelevant.
None the less, he is still quite important and will surely return one day (issue).

Mr. Pin
2009-01-29, 06:05 PM
I, too, would like to see Roy back, but we have to wait for it. I wasn't there, but I'm sure that the veteran OOTSers among you remember when Haley couldn't talk, or when Vaarsuvius was a lizard, or when Belkar had that *&^%$##$%^ing Mark of Justice (Belkar? Not killing things? BLASPHEMY!!!).

So, when Roy comes back, he'll be better than ever. Have Faith. Remember You're It:smallwink:

ThisIsNotDan
2009-01-29, 06:54 PM
There are only four aspects to any story that are 'supposed' happen: beginning, middle and end. Anything else goes.

*Still waiting for fourth aspect*

Optimystik
2009-01-29, 07:17 PM

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't. :smallwink:

Assassin89
2009-01-29, 07:23 PM
I, too, would like to see Roy back, but we have to wait for it. I wasn't there, but I'm sure that the veteran OOTSers among you remember when Haley couldn't talk, or when Vaarsuvius was a lizard, or when Belkar had that *&^%$##$%^ing Mark of Justice (Belkar? Not killing things? BLASPHEMY!!!).

So, when Roy comes back, he'll be better than ever. Have Faith. Remember You're It:smallwink:

Can we stop pointing out the B-plots and get on with the discussion? Roy is going to return, but there might be a few surprises when he returns.

TheBST
2009-01-29, 07:28 PM

The fourth aspect is Conflict.

I thought that went without saying.

Yeah I forgot to add it.

(Not a Mathematics Graduate)

Spoomeister
2009-01-29, 09:43 PM
Didn't we go over the "it's only so slow b/c you see a new strip every couple days, but in the compliation books the side threads fly by" thing a couple days ago?

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-29, 10:09 PM
I really don't understand this desire to have Roy brought back to life as soon as possible. Roy is, by quite some margin, the most often-featured character in the entire comic, and still regularly features in strips to this day. The story and characterization continue to improve, yet an awful lot of people keep clamoring for the days when it was just six people walking together 'round a dungeon, and the plot was no more complex than "find and kill the bad guy". The action had to move on from there, or the comic would have gotten stale very quickly... and likely not appealed to people who don't play D&D at all.

Quoted for truth. While I think that Haley tends to dominate the strip with her side plots more than Roy, it's true that he is one of the most important characters in the story, and has already gotten his share of development. Elan, Belkar, and V are now getting their chances to get some spotlight, and I like it. The fact that OotS has an irregular update schedual hurts when telling a story, but that's how it is. OotS isn't a series of gags anymore, it's a humor based story with characters that are more developed than many acclaimed novels do. *coughtwilightcoughlotrcough*

The answer to your question is simple. Can we have Roy back? No, now that you asked. He will never be in another strip again. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Emilinah Adams
2009-01-29, 10:53 PM
Roy won't be dead to much longer. He has already learned the all important techniques from his grandfather that will surely come in handy in the up coming battles and Haley has gotten control of the thieves guild and should be in possession of Roy's body shortly. Most of the hurdles to Roy's return have been cleared. And remember although it seems like a long time since Roy has died there is only so much story you can tell in a few comic panels. Besides he still gets appearences and whole strips dedicated to him in the afterlife.

Nenec
2009-01-30, 06:45 AM
Come on, even if dead he still keeps being the aim of every action the others do. If there was no side-strips the comic would be closed in 100 strips. I was frankly a little tired by Roy avenging his father, Roy rebuilding his sword, etc and the other characters only following him with only few moments for themselves. Maybe I could say: when is Xycon going to reappear? I really miss his black humor...and he's been missing way longer than Roy.

Refar
2009-01-30, 07:28 AM
New reader\poster. Just read upto being uo-to-date in the past few weeks...

I don't care about Roy that much, nor do i concider him main "star". The comic is about all the Order. Still (actually because) the OT kind of hit the nail with the rest of the post.

[...]and this comic is beginning to drag. I want to see the Order of the Stick finally make some progress in their actual mission instead of the endless side-trips. With each new strip, I hope that some progress will be made, and instead I am usually disappointed with more setbacks. It's exhausting...

Actually it draged since the fall of Azure city. It's still good read, a funny joke every here and now... But the big picture for me is:
Halley & Celias fumbling - Marginally interesting. Palladins & Kubotas intrigues outright boring. (Including Durakon & Elans involvement - these guys need the rest of the party to shine, more than anyone else).
The last few strips were pretty cool, because V was in them. Even then... after 4th strip, where - despite a lot, patly funny, things happen - no progress is made (rather degress actually...) even V beginns to drag.

Long write short - the Order and it's characters are funny, because of the interaction in the party. An "good character development" is possible in the Party as well - or better - than soloing.

Edit: I am sure the author does have a paln how to develop the story, and does not need every-and-any-one to drop by and tell him how to make comic.
Just voicing my impression\oppinon as reader here.

Gilmiril
2009-01-30, 09:17 AM
Can we have Roy back yet?

Sounds like my kids saying, "Are we there yet?"

We'll get there when we get there.

The other characters don't interest me as much, and this comic is beginning to drag. I want to see the Order of the Stick finally make some progress in their actual mission instead of the endless side-trips. With each new strip, I hope that some progress will be made, and instead I am usually disappointed with more setbacks. It's exhausting...

Two things:

First, this comic pokes fun at D&D, and every major RPG campaign (not just D&D) that I've been in has broken into separate quests at times, and the comic is simply delving into that aspect.

Second, you may think they're not making any progress, but they are. Others have pointed out progress made in the Haley/Belkar arc, and I trust there will be progress made here too. More importantly, I eagerly wait to see how Rich weaves the various arcs back together into a cohesive unit.

I do admit to sometimes feeling like the Order can't get a break, but I can be patient and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Linkavitch
2009-01-30, 05:58 PM
There are three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't. :smallwink:

And people like us, who make smart-but-funny comments about them.:amused:

Shadic
2009-01-30, 06:55 PM
Roy died in my Senior year in High School, and I'm a Sophomore in College now. Considering how I found the strip in the first Oracle mini-arc, he's been dead for a vast majority of the time I've been reading the strip, which is sad, considering the fact that he's my favorite character.

I understand the story need for him to be gone for so long, but I really would like him back. Oh well.

Nenec
2009-01-31, 11:23 AM
Considering how I found the strip in the first Oracle mini-arc, he's been dead for a vast majority of the time I've been reading the strip, which is sad, considering the fact that he's my favorite character

Never considered reading it from the very fist strip?

Person1123
2009-01-31, 05:45 PM
I don't want roy back, so much as I want V to stop being the way s/he is, and Belkar and V and Haley to be together. However, I like having a commentator.

Shadic
2009-01-31, 05:50 PM
Never considered reading it from the very fist strip?
I never said that I didn't, I merely stated how far the comic had come by the time I found it.

Heck, I have all the books, and a shirt, too.

Zbyhnev
2009-01-31, 07:06 PM
It is interesting to see everybody's preferences for different characters.

Myself, I dig for Vaarsuvius. And Belkar. Those two are by far the most interesting personages in the order.

Spiky
2009-01-31, 10:46 PM
Can we have Roy back? Nope, but V may be visiting him real soon...
Doubtful, considering the large gap in alignment.

Really? I'm enjoying this arc/book more with every strip. Character development for a start. Without Roy to marshall them, the rest of the order have displayed sides of themselves we'd never have otherwise never seen.
Really? Care to name one?

While I agree that Rich has improved in his character development as the comic has wended onward, development of non-Roy characters was excellent well before the death of Roy. Sure, there has been more since, but it isn't because Roy is "out of play". Roy has also had quite a bit more development since dying. But I would call none of it new character traits, just more info.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-31, 11:09 PM

While I agree that Rich has improved in his character development as the comic has wended onward, development of non-Roy characters was excellent well before the death of Roy. Sure, there has been more since, but it isn't because Roy is "out of play". Roy has also had quite a bit more development since dying. But I would call none of it new character traits, just more info.

What about Elan, V, and Belkar? They all have had character development that has changed their personalities significantly. Elan has learned that his actions have consquences and that the hero doesn't always save the damsel in distress. Belkar has become a much more careful in how he acts in the world around him, and if my hunch is right, will start to turn more good before his death. And V...if his change isn't obvious to you, I suggest a good pair of glasses and a copy of "Common Sense for Dummies."

Optimystik
2009-01-31, 11:51 PM
And people like us, who make smart-but-funny comments about them.:amused:

Who, me? I'm innocence itself! :smallbiggrin:

It is interesting to see everybody's preferences for different characters.

Myself, I dig for Vaarsuvius. And Belkar. Those two are by far the most interesting personages in the order.

I'm dying for Durkon to get some nice, meaty character development. He's the only one who hasn't! :smallfrown:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-01, 04:43 AM
Dear gods.

The character becomes more centeral after his death, and you are complaining? Roy will return and it will be when he can be returned! End of! I for one am GLAD that dspite the lampshade hung on it Rich is going out of his way to avert the revolving door of the afterlife. Death was a pain for Roy.

Kaytara
2009-02-01, 05:13 AM

It is in every way because Roy is "out of play". Roy was the only one every single character on the team listened to and obeyed, at least to a certain extent. And the character development Shadow has already mentioned is all due to there being no leader to tell them what to do.

Haley has been using her new-found sense of responsibility to act as a leader and organize a resistance movement. Obviously, she wouldn't have needed to do that if Roy were still alive.
Belkar doesn't obey Haley the way he obeyed Roy, causing him to resume sliding into deeper and deeper evil and eventually get his comeuppance and subsequent epiphany. He likely wouldn't have dared to kill the Oracle had Roy been present, either.
Elan too has been forced to make a reality check and realize both how out of his own depth he is and how badly he needs to improve. He even directly and unfavourably compares himself to Roy in the process.
Vaarsuvius has become a complete solo player, among other changes. Obviously, all for lack of Roy to rein him in.
Even Durkon has changed a bit. Before, he was all wise benevolence and no malice. Now, he's acting a bit more like his grumpy old pre-meeting-Roy self.
"Blast it, lad, have ye gone completely daft, instead o' yer usual mostly daft?"
Not to mention his almost spiteful comment at V's use of Prismatic Spray.
"Aye, well, ye got lucky. Tha were a foolish risk."Even though they had just defeated an opponent against whom they were pretty much hopelessly outmatched. Not to mention his impatient "Ye damned arrogant piece of..." earlier.

So yes, there are definite changes, not all of them for the better. I'm content to let Roy remain dead a while longer just to see how the characters handle these problems on their own rather than with a quick miracle fix from Roy.

The_Void
2009-02-01, 06:48 AM
I'm dying for Durkon to get some nice, meaty character development. He's the only one who hasn't! :smallfrown:

He did have that whole thing with Hilgya. But I agree, it has been a while.

I don't know whether to agree with the OP or not. The literary, creative and analysing parts of me love the new aspect that the comic has gone in. However, the mindless fanboy in me just wants to see the whole group back together again.

amuletts
2009-02-01, 08:46 AM
My theory is that all of OOTS will die. First Roy copped it, now V. is going to join him in the afterlife. Eventually they will all be there playing some sort of rpg with Gygax.

Mastikator
2009-02-01, 09:25 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Roy never comes back to life. And I don't see what the big loss, is. It's not like they had much chance against Xykon to begin with, and it's not like him being dead invalidates his presence.

Kiero
2009-02-01, 09:38 AM
Frankly, anything that will end this dull story arc involving V alone. Hell, the entire run of V-not-sleeping has been boring.

Kaytara
2009-02-01, 12:05 PM
Frankly, anything that will end this dull story arc involving V alone. Hell, the entire run of V-not-sleeping has been boring.

...Because it has caused to Vaarsuvius to act in an unexpected, new and unpredictable way, and it is boring to see your beloved characters develop in unexpected, new and unpredictable ways?

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-01, 12:28 PM
Short answer (to the title) no.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I want more of V!

Kaytara
2009-02-01, 01:20 PM

I want more of V!

Seconded. ^^ Vaarsuvius is the one with the least appearances anyway. While I feel extremely sorry for poor V, I'm really enjoying this V-focussed arc, too.

Aris Katsaris
2009-02-01, 02:17 PM
Can we have Roy back yet?

Please?

NO.

Your question translates to "Can we please just ruin the entire plot, violate narrative causality, negate every strip that has come since Roy's death, because I somehow personally correlate everything that I don't like about the strip to Roy's absense from the rest of the team."

NO. We can't have Roy back yet, because Haley doesn't yet have Roy's body back. NO, we can't have Roy back yet, because Haley doesn't currently have access to a high-level cleric yet. Perhaps she'll have these things in five or ten strips, but NOT YET.

NO, I don't want Giant's plans for the comic utterly ruined, just because some people can't abide change and want everything reset to the status quo, like a sitcom.

Even if/when Roy gets back, why do you think whatever you dislike in the current strips would revert back to the way they were? Things will NEVER be back the way they were -- that's what the very concept of a plot entails: things changing.

If you want the things back the way they were, you have the archive. If you want things keep changing you keep reading the updates.

Sometimes things will change, and sometimes things will change back. I don't know if Roy will return in five or fifty or five hundred strips, or NOT AT ALL, but he must only return (if ever) in obedience to the STORYLINE, not in obedience to the desires of people who don't like the idea of a storyline at all.

I want to see the Order of the Stick finally make some progress in their actual mission

The order of the Stick has never made any progress in their "actual mission" since they destroyed Xykon's first fortress at comic #120. That means that either #120 was the last strip of OoTS you've enjoyed or that you were actually enjoying seeing the order of the stick NOT make progress.

I'm guessing it's the latter. But you never realized they weren't making progress because you were seeing Xykon and Roy on screen. Which means you miss characters, not some vaguely defined "progress" on some vaguely defined "actual mission".

What you call "actual mission" is merely one storyline among many. Can you understand that other readers may be interested in vastly different storylines that the one you'd prefer to read about. Right now for example, this dragon interests me about a dozen times more than Xykon and the gates, even though Xykon's is the grander scheme.

Or are my wishes to see this storyline evolve not valid because it's not the "actual" mission?

I don't want Roy returned, except when it will actually help ALL the storylines evolve. You on the other hand want the storylines I like trashed.

WhiteHarness
2009-02-01, 05:24 PM
You...want the storylines I like trashed.
If I do feel that way, it isn't because I hate the storylines--it's because of your attitude...

NO...
NO...
NO...
NO...
NOT AT ALL...

Optimystik
2009-02-01, 05:40 PM

I want more of V!

Yahtzee! :smallwink:

He did have that whole thing with Hilgya. But I agree, it has been a while.

All that encounter did was cement his stereotype. Saying he "developed" from ranting about dwarven honor to Hilgya is like saying V developed from ranting about wizardry to Elan. Which is to say, not at all.

I don't know whether to agree with the OP or not. The literary, creative and analysing parts of me love the new aspect that the comic has gone in. However, the mindless fanboy in me just wants to see the whole group back together again.

Give him a cookie to quiet him, it's grown-up time :smallsmile:

@Aris Katsaris: Calm down, will ya? The rules say to always remember there's a person behind that username you're railing at.

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-01, 08:26 PM
NO.

Your question translates to "Can we please just ruin the entire plot, violate narrative causality, negate every strip that has come since Roy's death, because I somehow personally correlate everything that I don't like about the strip to Roy's absense from the rest of the team."

NO. We can't have Roy back yet, because Haley doesn't yet have Roy's body back. NO, we can't have Roy back yet, because Haley doesn't currently have access to a high-level cleric yet. Perhaps she'll have these things in five or ten strips, but NOT YET.

NO, I don't want Giant's plans for the comic utterly ruined, just because some people can't abide change and want everything reset to the status quo, like a sitcom.

Even if/when Roy gets back, why do you think whatever you dislike in the current strips would revert back to the way they were? Things will NEVER be back the way they were -- that's what the very concept of a plot entails: things changing.

If you want the things back the way they were, you have the archive. If you want things keep changing you keep reading the updates.

Sometimes things will change, and sometimes things will change back. I don't know if Roy will return in five or fifty or five hundred strips, or NOT AT ALL, but he must only return (if ever) in obedience to the STORYLINE, not in obedience to the desires of people who don't like the idea of a storyline at all.

The order of the Stick has never made any progress in their "actual mission" since they destroyed Xykon's first fortress at comic #120. That means that either #120 was the last strip of OoTS you've enjoyed or that you were actually enjoying seeing the order of the stick NOT make progress.

I'm guessing it's the latter. But you never realized they weren't making progress because you were seeing Xykon and Roy on screen. Which means you miss characters, not some vaguely defined "progress" on some vaguely defined "actual mission".

What you call "actual mission" is merely one storyline among many. Can you understand that other readers may be interested in vastly different storylines that the one you'd prefer to read about. Right now for example, this dragon interests me about a dozen times more than Xykon and the gates, even though Xykon's is the grander scheme.

Or are my wishes to see this storyline evolve not valid because it's not the "actual" mission?

I don't want Roy returned, except when it will actually help ALL the storylines evolve. You on the other hand want the storylines I like trashed.

Wow...that's quite a rant there. Let's take a deep breath and think for a bit. First off, you BOTH are intitled to an opinion, so he can want Roy back and you can want to see how the story fleshes out. That doesn't give either of you the right to flame eachother.

But really, do you think the Giant cares what he thinks? Do you think that the Giant is going to change the entire storyline just because ONE person out of hundreds of thousands of people who read OotS doesn't like the direction the comic is taking? The Giant stays away from these kinds of threads for a reason: because he doesn't like being told how to his job. You don't need to rant at somebody just because they have an opinion. It's not going to change anything.

To the original poster: Roy is coming back, the Giant has confirmed this. The question is how and when. Be patient, he'll be back by the end of this arc.

Assassin89
2009-02-01, 08:29 PM

Spore review to be more precise.

Again Roy will return, but there might be a different dynamic within the group.

Quorothorn
2009-02-01, 09:48 PM

*Snaps fingers.* I wanted to say that. Thou art skilled in the ninja arts, Optimystik!

archon_huskie
2009-02-01, 10:12 PM
Please?

Roy will not be back until he is back. Worrying and complaining about it will not bring him back any faster.

Also consider the idea that he will not be back at all. . .

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-01, 10:14 PM

All that encounter did was cement his stereotype. Saying he "developed" from ranting about dwarven honor to Hilgya is like saying V developed from ranting about wizardry to Elan. Which is to say, not at all.

@Aris Katsaris: Calm down, will ya? The rules say to always remember there's a person behind that username you're railing at.

Oh... my... god... someone actually got the reference without me poking you towards it.

Spiky
2009-02-02, 01:52 AM

You must be new here. This is the OOTS forum, not the comic itself. In the comic, characters are allowed to tell us new things, have adventures, even entertain readers at times. That's just not acceptable here. Saying you LIKE the OOTS comic is a sure sign that you don't belong. You will likely look like V in a matter of days if you don't capitulate and whine about the comic, instead.

The Minx
2009-02-02, 01:58 AM
Oh... my... god... someone actually got the reference without me poking you towards it.

It seems quite a few did.

<<

>>

Would someone please clue me in? :smallredface:

Quorothorn
2009-02-02, 02:50 AM
It seems quite a few did.

<<

>>

Would someone please clue me in? :smallredface:

It's a reference to Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's online game review video show "Zero Punctuation": specifically, his review of the "Spore" game, in which he...well, see for yourself (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/218-Spore). Great play on the Big No.

Kiero
2009-02-02, 06:21 AM
...Because it has caused to Vaarsuvius to act in an unexpected, new and unpredictable way, and it is boring to see your beloved characters develop in unexpected, new and unpredictable ways?

No, because V is the most boring character of the Order by a long way. This recent strip is about the first time the character has had any actual development at all. There's nothing unexpected about a character having development, just surprise that it's taken this long.

My interest has had an uptick from zero to a very small amount with the mention of V having children.

Kaytara
2009-02-02, 06:42 AM
No, because V is the most boring character of the Order by a long way. This recent strip is about the first time the character has had any actual development at all. There's nothing unexpected about a character having development, just surprise that it's taken this long.

My interest has had an uptick from zero to a very small amount with the mention of V having children.

I disagree that this strip is the first time V has been showing development. Vaarsuvius has been getting developed all the time since the battle at Azure City, the first major change evident when Durkon talks to him about it during the wedding and V turns out to have been blaming himself for their defeat.

Also, not changing much for the past few hundred strips does not equal boring. Vaarsuvius has a very intriguing personality, not the least of it because of his alignment ambiguity. During the whole comic, we kept seeing snippets of different sides of V. Vaarsuvius is, by far, the most mysterious member of the Order as well as the most unpredictable one. I fail to see how that can be considered boring.

And where did I say that development itself is supposed to be unexpected? I said the way V develops is unexpected. It's a whole strange mixture of guilt, callousness, hero complex and megalomania... Several hundred strips ago, who would've thought V would turn out like this?

The_Void
2009-02-02, 07:51 AM

I don't know, it seemed to me that he didn't really believe in all that dwarven honour stuff, but he'd been taught to believe it his whole life. I'm just going by the look on his face afterwards though, so it's ambiguous enough to stick any interpretation you want on it.

Don't worry, I just wrote a fanfic, all my inner fanboys are calm. :smallsmile:

Kiero
2009-02-02, 08:14 AM
I disagree that this strip is the first time V has been showing development. Vaarsuvius has been getting developed all the time since the battle at Azure City, the first major change evident when Durkon talks to him about it during the wedding and V turns out to have been blaming himself for their defeat.

Also, not changing much for the past few hundred strips does not equal boring. Vaarsuvius has a very intriguing personality, not the least of it because of his alignment ambiguity. During the whole comic, we kept seeing snippets of different sides of V. Vaarsuvius is, by far, the most mysterious member of the Order as well as the most unpredictable one. I fail to see how that can be considered boring.

And where did I say that development itself is supposed to be unexpected? I said the way V develops is unexpected. It's a whole strange mixture of guilt, callousness, hero complex and megalomania... Several hundred strips ago, who would've thought V would turn out like this?

I've never found V very interesting. Once the initial mirth of the ambiguous gender thing wore off, there hasn't been much to him/her. V is surrounded by a lot more interesting characters, seriously all of them, even straight-man Roy has more going for them. Hell, even many of the recurring NPCs are more complex and engaging.

It seems V is the classic case of all power and no personality. All he/she ever does is get peevish at everyone else and play their overly verbose schtick.

Aquillion
2009-02-04, 01:51 AM
Shadow;5726995']To the original poster: Roy is coming back, the Giant has confirmed this. The question is how and when. Be patient, he'll be back by the end of this arc.Just like he 'confirmed' that Miko would be around for the strip's entire run? :smalltongue:

Jural
2009-02-04, 02:04 AM
I will say these two things:

1) I like the Roy character, and he seems to be the central "moral compass" and driving force for the Order. Also, much of the party's humor really derives from their interactions with Roy.

2) I really miss Xykon! And I don't see Xkyon getting more panel time until Roy is back (just too many subplots if V, Roy, Elan and Durkon, and Belkar and Haley all are interspersed with Xykon too!)

So I'm rooting for Roy to be back ASAP. I'm also enjoying the current comics and updates.

David Argall
2009-02-04, 02:42 AM
No, because V is the most boring character of the Order by a long way.
That "honor" belongs to Durkon, rather clearly. Of course, a lot of people around here seem to define "boring" as "I don't like the character" rather than "never does anything", and Durkon is boring enough that nobody dislikes him.

Just like he 'confirmed' that Miko would be around for the strip's entire run?
He didn't confirm it, tho he did make it easy to make the mistake that he did.

it seemed to me that he didn't really believe in all that dwarven honour stuff, but he'd been taught to believe it his whole life.
He very much believes it. See Origin "I know that lad. He's so lawful that...he will--even if..."

Milcho
2009-02-04, 03:53 AM
Not that we're taking votes or anything, but I miss the fun the entire group had fighting between each other and with others.

I'd like to see what Roy's reaction to a lot of these events will be, even if he doesn't come back to the living just yet.

I don't see why people take so strong and agressive stances, as user comments have rarely, if ever, had any effect on what Rich has planned.

It's sort of interesting though to think, what would Roy do in any situation like these recent once?

Kaytara
2009-02-04, 01:40 PM
I've never found V very interesting. Once the initial mirth of the ambiguous gender thing wore off, there hasn't been much to him/her. V is surrounded by a lot more interesting characters, seriously all of them, even straight-man Roy has more going for them. Hell, even many of the recurring NPCs are more complex and engaging.

It seems V is the classic case of all power and no personality. All he/she ever does is get peevish at everyone else and play their overly verbose schtick.

All power and no personality? :smalltongue: Well, for one thing, the former clearly not being completely the case is an important part of that personality.
Also, what about how V handled Haley's crush on Elan? Trying to clue him in during the bandit arc? Abusing the +2 circumstance bonus? Clearly being happy for her after it was all resolved?
How about it when V supported Roy's decision to go rescue Julia? How about V's latest arc and his feeling of responsibility for the group's failure during the battle? What about V obviously having a conscience, yet having no qualms taking extreme measures?

Based on that, I don't think you're looking at V's character very objectively, but I suppose there's no accounting for taste.
Though I feel I must point out that it would be very hard to have 20-page discussions about the alignment and ethics of a character who is "boring".

Snake-Aes
2009-02-04, 02:50 PM

Doubtful considering the dragon wants V to live through the vengeance actually.

If i was an evil, vengeful dragon mamma, odds are I'd also not let V die while the revenge takes it's course.