PDA

View Full Version : [Feat]Desert Stride

Ravenchild
2006-10-04, 04:49 PM
So as I play may my spring attack/skirmish damage desert wind style sword sage i begin to look for ways to increase my speed to make the most of spring attack, and the numerous desert wind maneuvers based around my movement. I've notice only two options:
1-Multi classing into monk, barbarian or scout and lsing valuable iniator levels

2-the dash feat, which for a feat give you a whopping extra 5ft while not encumbered in light armor. Seriously wth was wotc thinking? Every class that get this gets it in 10ft increments, and most game setting realeased by ppl other than wotc offers a feat with a +10ft bonus (and even some wotc did do like star wars and d20 modern)....

Just seems silly to me that wotc would offer a whole set of class abilities based on speed but no real option to increase said speed that doesnt cost far mor than its worth

So I came up with this altenative, it makes up the 5ft difference between it and dash with some steep requirements. I think it balances out ok, and fills a gap that wotc should have filled themselves.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Desert Stride
You learn to move with the speed of the whirling desert winds.
Prequisites: Desert Fire, and Spring attack
Benefit:you gain a +10ft bonus to you movement while unencumbered and in light armor.

Normal: You have to suck it and waste 3 class levels (and effectively lose 4 iniator levels) to gain this ability

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 05:05 PM
Other options:

1. Play a class with a high base speed. (Thri-Kreen (XPH), for instance, have a 50, and Varags (MM-IV) have a 40.)
2. Acquire Boots of Command-Word Longstrider (+10)
3. Acquire Winged Boots (Fly speed 60!)
4. Acquire Boots of Command-Word Expeditious Retreat (+30)
5. Acquire Boots of Haste (+30)
6. Acquire (slightly more expensive) "wrong-slotted" versions of the items above.

Ravenchild
2006-10-04, 07:15 PM
all good ideas, but i was hoping to have people critique the idea of the feat on the merits of balance (so when i hit level 9 two weeks from now i know whether or not i have leg to standon arguing for it)

HellFencer
2006-10-04, 07:21 PM
I'd say that in addition to the prereq's you have, you should add in a DEX requirement, perhaps a 16 or 18 DEX in order to warrant that much increased speed?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 07:28 PM
You know, I went back and edited in a critique, but apparently it disappeareded. So: I think it's a worthwhile feat, but I think that it should apply only while you're in a Desert Wind stance, like Shadow Blade/Shadow Trickster.