PDA

View Full Version : AMF, or why everyone should wear special hats/belts ...

PinkysBrain
2009-01-29, 08:17 AM
AMF is uber ... but there is an extremely simple counter to it, it's certainly simple enough that any wizard should have realized it (because they are supposed to be smarter than me). Shrink item can turn anything to cloth, shrink item is surpressed in an AMF ... emanations can't turn corners.

Do the math.

lord_khaine
2009-01-29, 09:31 AM
so, you suggest that a wizard should cover himself in walls turned cloth?
while in theory it might sound possible, then i dont belive its very practical in the end.
if were a wizard, then i would not think it very smart to risk getting crushed by my own hat, just because some punk got lucky with a dispel magic.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-29, 10:46 AM
A pointy wizard hat increased 16 fold in size is more like a tipi than a hat, plenty of room inside ... hell, you could put door in it ...

lord_khaine
2009-01-29, 10:49 AM
yes, but i dont think a tipi is enough to block a antimagic field, else the wizard might as well just hold a bedsheat up and then dimension door away.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-29, 11:02 AM
It's the size of a tipi, it's made of a stone shaped wall of stone.

PS. I'd let the bedsheet work, it's not so different from a towershield (which also works). The problem with this is the fact it takes an action and generally you will be grappled or otherwise incapacitated before you get the chance.

tyckspoon
2009-01-29, 11:34 AM
A pointy wizard hat increased 16 fold in size is more like a tipi than a hat, plenty of room inside ... hell, you could put door in it ...

And then when you enter the AMF your Shrunken Wall of Stone returns to full size, leaving you stuck inside a big stone tipi. You're not in the AMF, but you also don't have line of sight or effect to anything, so you can't really do much until you teleport/passwall/open the doorway you put in it. At which point you're exposed to AMF again minus a giant pointy stone hat. Good plan.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-29, 11:49 AM
If you DD or teleport away you are not exposed to the AMF, whether you walk out, fly out, DD out or do whatever, you have options ... you are in control. If a mean old dragon or barbarian grappler is sitting on top of you in a AMF they are in control.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-01-29, 12:14 PM
Ok, first off, where does it say that emanations are blocked by walls?

second, assuming that works, is there a reason you can't wear a Shrinked glass hat, so you can see out? Granted, you'll still be somewhat vulnerable, but the AMF enemy will have to break into your hat first, so you may (if you have high enough initiative) have a round to escape.

Is there some other transparent substance you could construct this tipi hat out of that would let you escape?

Of course, there's always the solution of not blindly walking into an AMF...

-JM

lord_khaine
2009-01-29, 12:18 PM
It's the size of a tipi, it's made of a stone shaped wall of stone.

in that case you still risk getting crushed by your hat if it sits in a wrong angle when you get hit by the antimagic field or dispel magic.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-29, 12:52 PM
Ok, first off, where does it say that emanations are blocked by walls?
From the magic section of the SRD/PHB :
" A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres."

second, assuming that works, is there a reason you can't wear a Shrinked glass hat, so you can see out? Granted, you'll still be somewhat vulnerable, but the AMF enemy will have to break into your hat first, so you may (if you have high enough initiative) have a round to escape.
Glass, mud, stone, whatever, as long as it can break line of effect.

Not walking into an AMF is not an option if the AMF comes to you. As for crushing, optimize the weight not to hurt too bad and/or consider the belt instead.