PDA

View Full Version : SWSE Campaign help

Darth Stabber
2009-01-29, 12:57 PM
If you are a certain droid noble or Force sensitive pugilist I know do not read this. Seriously, you two know darn well who you are.

So I am starting up a SWSE campaign @ lvl 3, the characters are working for the jedi in Huttspace trying put a stop to the depredations of a sith lord by the name of Darth Savagus in the kotor time frame. The jedi of this particular sector are based in the gigantic space cruiser Scion of the Force. The campain will be lots of investigation leading up to the realization that even with all of Savagus' might he is but an apprentice to greater still Sith, who is actually one of the leaders of the Hutt council that petitioned the jedi to help with the savagus problem. The problem is there will be a lot of pitched battles throughout the course of the story, and I need some way to handle this type of encounter, because it seems (much like D&D) the system is designed to handle small tactical encounters rather than open battle. I have the relative makeups of the various factions stated up, i just need a simple way have the PCs fight through these battles of epic proportions.

Kiero
2009-01-29, 01:42 PM
While not the most elegant of solutions (since it costs money) isn't there a system for mass combat in the Clone Wars Campaign Guide?

Failing that, would some other mass combat system do? There must be a load out there for free systems, and some people made themselves.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-01-29, 01:45 PM
erm... a Hutt Sith lord? that's pretty epic on its own)

so, it's gonna be a full-scale war and you don't know how to DM this sort of thing, am i right?

the first thing that comes to me is using starships.
there won't be as many as foot soldiers, and each requires a crew to operate, which reduces the number crunch drastically

second, the PCs might not take part in the open battle, but rather do some covert ops while others fight out there.

third is somewhat related to first: use groups instead of single units in a huge battle. it's similar to using starships.
you just re-draw the usual encounter on a totally different scale. when it's necessary, go into detail. when it's not, you're moving whole companies and squads instead of single soldiers.

well that's pretty much the way i'd run that sort of thing.

Talya
2009-01-29, 02:10 PM
The SWSE Clone Wars campaign guidebook has rules for large scale conflict that would work in any setting. I've heard reports it's elegant, simple, and most importantly fun, in game use, but those reports are second hand. I haven't tried it.
Edit: Ninja'd!