PDA

View Full Version : Archer feats

Frog Dragon
2009-01-29, 01:52 PM
True Shot
As you shoot your arrows go past the winds and find the spot to hit regardless of circumstances
Prequisites: Precise Shot +3 BaB
Benefit: Your ranged projectiles halve weather penalties and magical AC bonuses that only apply against projectiles. It also goes halves effects such as Wind Wall only inducing a 50% miss chance.

Defensive Shot
Even as the fighters are upon, you find the moments to fire and reload you projectile weapons
Prequisites: Point Blank Shot BaB +8
Benefit: You no longer take Attacks of Opportunity for shooting, reloading or drawing ammunition when threatened.

Mobile Shooter
Mobility and shooting your bow walk side by side with you. You can shoot while running and release a torrent of arrows mid-trip
Prequisites: Shot on the run
Benefit: You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon after a move action. You may also make a standard attack with a ranged weapon after a double move action.

I hope these mitigate why archers are weak compared to other classes. It does not fix the damage problem, but it does make archers more viable in situations where they would normally suck such as a wizard who basically has a Win button against archer builds and when the fighters haste on you and you can't shoot without taking a crapload of AOO:s

Frog Dragon
2009-01-30, 08:15 AM
Any comments? I am not really sure on these, but the rogue's archer build in the game I'm DMing isn't really doing much in combat without special circumstances. The TWF ranger outdamages him on a massive level and he doesn't have much other things going for him. I made one more feat that helps the archer keep the gap between him/her and the fighters for a little longer.

J-H
2009-01-30, 08:35 AM
The Order of the Bow Inititate from CW already has a Defensive Shot type ability.

Frog Dragon
2009-01-30, 09:13 AM
I have a limited library to draw on and CW isn't in it
I have Core CSCO, CADV, PHBII, AaEG and ToB

And crystalkeep has the unfortunate tendency to always lag my browser to a halt.

Baron Corm
2009-01-30, 03:23 PM
One of the main selling points of archery, if not THE main selling point, is that you don't need Mobile Shooter. You can stand still and get a full attack on a guy instead of having to move to him.

TWFing's major drawback happens to be this very thing. If they can't get a full attack, their whole build is pretty much wasted. If the TWFer is outshining the archer, and you're DMing, just give scenarios where it's harder to get a full attack off.

Roderick_BR
2009-01-30, 09:34 PM
I like. Some suggestions:
True Shot: Make it that it ignores 50% of defenses. It means that AC bonuses are halved, attacking an invisible enemy has only 25% of missing, DR is reduced to half it's absortion bonus, and effects like Wind Wall are considered 100% failure, so it's reduced to 50% failing chance.

Defensive Shot: As it was said, many ways to get it, including an epic feat, but since some epic feats has been changed into regular feats (Spellcaster Harrier -> Mageslayer, for example), I think it's fair.

Mobile Shooter: I don't think you need it. A similar feat that already exists is the Manyshot, to shot several projectiles at once, just a little different mechanic.

Frog Dragon
2009-01-31, 03:41 PM
Good point on the true shot I'll edit that in. I wsa myself a little iffy on point blank destroying all defenses against it.

Llama231
2009-01-31, 04:12 PM
Antimagic Shot
Prequisites: Caster Level at least 1, B.A.B. +5
Benefit: You ranged attack ignores all effects of magic that would hinder it, with a caster level below your own total level.

Frog Dragon
2009-02-01, 04:56 AM
Good one for gishes Llama231 if it could actually beat casters of equal level. If your a gish facing of against an equally leveled pure caster then that's no use. hir caster level is higher than yours and thus the feat has no effect whatsoever. It's only useful against mooks which you would annihillate anyway or other gishes. The dual progression feats for casters are something that would be great for this one as they give you caster level so it's equal to a pure mage's.

But it's a good idea though.

Ashtagon
2009-02-01, 05:12 AM
The big deal about archery builds is that they can attack from a range. By the time a melee build can close with you, he should al;ready be dead from all the arrows stuck in him.

naturally, archery builds suck in situations where they can't use their range to good effect. Which is just common sense. Archery needs some love, but higher rates of fire aren't it.

Triaxx
2009-02-01, 07:42 AM
Written for a player using lots of arrows for very little damage over all.

Overdraw
Prereq: Str 15, Dex 17
Effect: A character with overdraw may draw their bow farther than normal, sacrificing accuracy for the potential to do more damage. For each two BAB sacrificed, one damage is added to the arrow's potential damage. Damage stacks with Composite bows, but may not be used on crossbows.
Normal: May not overdraw bow.