PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e - New Genasi templates

Neithan
2009-01-29, 04:15 PM
I made four new genasi templates for my campaign. I'm quite happy with them, but I'm actually unsure if they are not actually too powerful. So I would like to hear some comments and suggestions:

Air Genasi
Air genasi are the descendands from both mortal and an air elemental ancestor (for example a Jinn).
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Air Genasi are agile and smart, but also tend to be fickle and overconfident.
- Monstrous Humanoid.
- Darkvision 60 ft./18m
- +2 on all saves against spells with the [Air] discriptor.*
- Magic Affinity: Genasi have a natural connection to the magical energies of the Elements. They gain 3 spirit spell points**, even if they know no spirit spells.
Air blast: Air Genasi can cast Air Blast as a sudden spell-like ability. (A 1st level spell that knocks a creature prone.) Casting the spell spends 1 spirit spell point.
Level advancement: +1 / 1,000 XP***

Earth Genasi
Earth genasi are the descendands from both mortal and an earth elemental ancestor (for example a Dao).
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma: Earth genasi are strong and robust, but not too talktive or empathic.
- Monstrous Humanoid.
- Darkvision 60 ft./18m
- +2 on all saves against spells with the [Earth] discriptor.
- Magic Affinity: Genasi have a natural connection to the magical energies of the Elements. They gain 3 spirit spell points, even if they know no spirit spells.
Rock Fist: Earth Genasi can cast Rock Fist as a sudden spell-like ability. (A 1st level spell that allows a single unarmed strike that deals 1d6 damage and recieves a +4 bonus to attack and damage.) Casting the spell spends 1 spirit spell point.
Level advancement: +1 / 1,000 XP

Fire Genasi
Fire genasi are the descendands from both mortal and a fire elemental ancestor (for example an Efreet or Salamander).
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom: Fire genasi are both smart and charismatic people, but not always too patient.
- Monstrous Humanoid.
- Darkvision 60 ft./18m
- +2 on all saves against spells with the [Fire] discriptor.
- Magic Affinity: Genasi have a natural connection to the magical energies of the Elements. They gain 3 spirit spell points, even if they know no spirit spells.
Fire blast: Fire Genasi can cast Fire Blast as a sudden spell-like ability. (A 1st level spell that deals 1d6 points of fire damage as a ranged touch attack.) Casting the spell spends 1 spirit spell point.

Water Genasi
Water genasi are the descendands from both mortal and a water elemental ancestor (for example a Marrid or a Nayad).
+2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Water genasi are tough and wise, but they usually don't make good talkers.
- Monstrous Humanoid.
- Darkvision 60 ft./18m
- +2 on all saves against spells with the [Water] discriptor.
Water leash: Air Genasi can cast Water leash as a sudden spell-like ability. (A 1st level spell that creates a tendril of water, that either creates a splash of water like from a bucket, or deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage as a ranged touch attack.) Casting the spell spends 1 spirit spell point.

*There are a lot of Air, Earth, Fire, and Water spells in my campaign, so this ability is actually almost as useful as elves +2 against enchantment, I think.
*Next to arcane and divine magic, I also use spirit magic, which is used by druids and bards, and also by the witch, which is a custom base class that is essentially a nature-sorcerer that uses psion-rules. The Magic Affinity is essentially like the Naturally psionic trait from most EPH.
***I want to handle LA like your character starts with negative XP or a lower starting XP score than other characters of the campaign. So the character is not always 1 level behind the others, though abilities that are hugely benefical at 1st level become completely usless at 12th or 19th level. But I'm not so sure that under that system a -1,000 XP penalty is actually equal to a +1 LA. Also, it's a template and not a race, so in combination with a human or dwarf, this might actually be worth more than +1 (considered that you can practically pay it off, over time).

watsyurname529
2009-01-29, 07:24 PM
The templates are good, and pretty well designed. They seem to be on the high side of LA +1, especially the Earth and Water ones, because a penalty to charisma is not worth that much in a penalty (compared to other mental stats and physical stats).

For the LA problem, check Unearthed Arcana. It has a rule called LA buyoff, which is similar to what you're describing, but it works slightly different and shows how to buyoff higher LA. I think you can find the rules free at the DnD Wiki, check my sig.