PDA

View Full Version : Different Ways to Swing Your Sword[Magic Item]

TheOOB
2006-10-03, 05:28 PM
Magic Weapon Special Abilities

Finesse
A finesse weapon uses it's wielders skill and dexterity to quickly dart past an enemies guard. An finesse weapon uses it's wielders Dex score to determine the weapon's attack bonus and damage

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Cat's Grace; Price +2 bonus.

Insightful
An insightful weapon uses it's wielders intellect and cunning to find weak spots in an opponents guard and strike true. An insightful weapon uses it's wielders Int score to determine the weapons attack bonus and damage.

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Fox's Cunning; Price +2 bonus.

Intuitive
An intuitive weapon uses it's wielders perceptions and intuition to get a feel for an enemies movements and deal a telling blow. An intuitive weapon uses it's wielders Wis score to determine the weapons attack bonus and damage

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Owl's Wisdom; Price +2 bonus.

Brutish
A brutish weapon uses it's wielders sheer physical strength to break through an opponent's guard. A brutish weapon uses it's wielders Str score to determine the weapons attack bonus and damage

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Bull's Strength; Price +2 bonus.

Spirited
A spirited weapon uses it's wielders charm and strong individual spirit to distract opponents and make them easier to hit. A spirited weapon uses it's wielders Cha score to determine the weapons attack bonus and damage

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Eagle's Splendor; Price +2 bonus.

Steady
A steady weapon uses it's wielders endurance to wear an opponent's guard down and eventually strike it's target. A brutish weapon uses it's wielders Con score to determine the weapons attack bonus and damage

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Bear's Endurance; Price +2 bonus.

pyrefiend
2006-10-03, 05:41 PM
I dont know... if a wizard gets a sword that goes by his Int score, suddenly he is actually a good melee attacker. Not that I'm saying he can live for long. Maybe you could balance these weapons by making them work at half the modifier.

TheOOB
2006-10-03, 05:53 PM
Thats something I considered. I'd like to think that since one of these weapons costs at least 18,000gp is a balancing factor, which is a lot for a wizard to be spending on a weapon at low level.

I'll cut down the bonus and/or make it cost more if people think the enhancements are too powerful. I'm thinking of cutting out the con one entirely because con is allready valuable to everyone.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-03, 06:02 PM
...how is a Brutish longsword +1 any different than a longsword +1, besides costing more?

ExHunterEmerald
2006-10-03, 06:12 PM
That dex enhancement would be a Very Nice Thng To Have (tm) for my rogue.
...Shame he's...y'know...second level. Pinch your pennies, Terry.

pyrefiend
2006-10-03, 06:27 PM
I doubt that anyone would put the brute factor on a melee weapon...

TheOOB
2006-10-03, 06:37 PM
...how is a Brutish longsword +1 any different than a longsword +1, besides costing more?

It wouldn't, but a brutish longbow could be a very nice ranged weapon for a melee character.

Triaxx
2006-10-03, 09:08 PM
On the other hand, a Steady Dwarven Waraxe, in the Hands of a Dwarf?

Or a Finesse Longbow in the hands of an Elven Ranger?

TheOOB
2006-10-03, 10:15 PM
Or a Finesse Longbow in the hands of an Elven Ranger?

A finesse longbow would be rather pointless, the ability changes what ability applies to attack and damage, not how it is applied, so a longbow still wouldn't gain additional damage.

I am removing Steady however, it's more then a little abusable.

McBish
2006-10-03, 10:56 PM
Spirted rapier for the bard, nice. ;D

Jarl
2006-10-03, 11:12 PM
Finesse and Intuitive weapons use the word "Insightful" to describe them in the crunch portions.

-Heads up.

TheOOB
2006-10-04, 01:15 AM
Finesse and Intuitive weapons use the word "Insightful" to describe them in the crunch portions.

-Heads up.

Fixed. I guess Spellcheck doesn't catch stupid copy-and-paste errors.

Anyways, any more opinions on the power level of these abilities, should they be toned down, should they cost more, are they just terrible, or have I made something that is acually good?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 10:09 AM
Let's put it this way: I'd use it.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-10-04, 10:12 AM
Hm....spirited weaponry, eh?
Yeeee-oink!

*Skedaddles*

zad101
2006-10-04, 11:04 AM
would a finesse composite bow use your dex instead of your strength for damage?

TheOOB
2006-10-04, 05:31 PM
would a finesse composite bow use your dex instead of your strength for damage?

Assuming that the bow was modified for a stronger pull. for instance a finesse composite longbow with a +2 Str Pull would add up to 2 of your dex bonus to damage rather then str.