PDA

View Full Version : Mindflayer stats 3.5

Froogleyboy
2009-01-29, 08:04 PM
could someone post the stats for a mindflayer from the MM

Starbuck_II
2009-01-29, 08:17 PM
Illegal because it isn't open content/SRD allowed.

You can find it in Complete Psionic or Monster manual only.

BRC
2009-01-29, 08:20 PM
Not legally they can't.
WoTC decided to make a few things not OGL, which is why they are missing from the SRD. Now, we can talk about strategies to fight mind flayers, nifty things DM's have done with mind flayers, ect ect. But it would be illegal to post the stats themselves.

Thurbane
2009-01-29, 08:42 PM
You could try Crystalkeep...

RS14
2009-01-29, 08:47 PM
Debatable illegal.

The idea for a game is not protected by copyright. (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html) The same is true of the name or title given to the game and of the method or methods for playing it.

Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in the development, merchandising, or playing of a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.

Some material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game, or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container, may be registrable.

I firmly believe that the mechanics governing the Mindflayer are not covered by copyright within the U.S. That said, a presentation of those mechanics within a stat block most definitely is.

Regardless of the legality of posting the mechanics of the Mindflayer, it appears to be against the forum rules. This is sensible; even if it is clearly legal to do so, I wouldn't want to be forced to defend posting them in a court, nor would I want to be responsible for making legal trouble for Rich.