PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] My House Rules

newbDM
2009-01-29, 08:44 PM
The following are my homebrewed cosmology's house rules.

This thread is where I will be storing, organizing, and gradually over the years updating my multiverse's rules.

Note to my players:
Do not post in this thread.

By the time you read this this thread will probably too old, and bumping it would be considered thread necromancy according to the forum rules of this site.

Updating this opening post (aka the OP) will not cause this thread to bump to the front page, so I will still be able to update it as needed.

Disclaimer from the DM:
As you might or might not be aware, I run a multiverse which is both low-magic and low-wealth.

For some players this style of gaming is clearly not for them, but for others like myself it is quite enjoyable.

Please be aware of this if you decide to play.

What you need to read before playing:
You DO NOT need to read every word of my house rules to get started (It would be appreciated, though. :smallbiggrin:).

To start making your character you really only need to read the following:

All of the Basic Information Everyone Needs to Read section.
The parts of the Race Changes section which relates to the race you want to play. First skim over the Races specific changes subsection to see if any changes have been made to the race you want to play. Secondly skim over the Favored Class changes subsection to see if a change has been made to the race you want to play.
The parts of the Class & Prestige Class Changes section which relates to the class you want to play. First see if there are any changes to the class you want under the Class Specific Changes subsection. Only read Classes, Prestige Classes & Multiclassing if you are interested in multiclassing or a prestige class, only read Prestige Class Prerequisites if you are interested in a prestige class, and only read Gaining a familiar, animal companion, mount, etc. if your class relates to one of those creatures or if you want to take the Handle Animal skill for your character.
In the Other Changes section the only subsection you need to read in it's entirety is the Combat Mechanics (Don't worry, it is not necessary to memorize it word for word. You'll get used to it during play). Then simply skim over Feat Changes and Skill Changes to see if any feats or skills you want to take for your characters are mentioned there.
Everything else is for the most part optional, and/or for you to read at your leisure. Even the Magic Changes section is not necessary to read unless you are really determined to play a caster. However, be warned that eventually all of this will come up in-game.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Updated June 26, 2009

Differences In My World
(As of June 26, 2009)

Basic Information Everyone Needs to Read

Alignment:

• No playing evil characters! Anything else is fine.

• Chaotic Neutral does not mean "Chaotic Evil Lite", nor does it mean "Chaotic Stupid".

If I determine that you are in fact playing a "Chaotic Evil Lite" character, the character will become an NPC under my control in my multiverse. You may then roll up a replacement character.

Chaotic Neutral characters are not "Chaotic Stupid". Much like a LG character is not "Lawful Stupid", but is often interpreted as such.

• Depending on the campaign I might decide players do not need to choose an alignment for their characters. In these cases role-play your character as you feel he/she would act, and I will keep notes of their behavior and decide for myself what I feel their alignment is for game mechanics relating to alignment. If your character is doing something (such as a class) which requires a specific alignment you must still fulfill those requirements. Again, no evil characters!

• There are no set alignments for creatures/races in my setting. Certain races might be slightly likelier of being of a certain alignment due to their racial deities, but only slightly. Therefore, you are almost as likely to see a good red dragon as you are to see a good gold dragon, and you are almost as likely to see an evil gold dragon as you are to see an evil red dragon.

There are exceptions to this rule, such as demons, devils, and celestials. However, even this is more lenient in this setting.

• If your character's alignment shifts to an evil alignment, it becomes an NPC in my multiverse under my control. You may then roll up a replacement character.

Dice Conventions:

a) If you feel a dice is cocked do not touch it, and inform me immediately so I may make a ruling.

b) If it lands on the floor reroll it.

c) I might not want to observe and verify every die roll. I am expecting all my players to use the honor system. However, if I catch, or feel someone is purposefully trying to cheat I might ask you to leave.

Nonattending Players:

a) If you are not able to make it to a game please try to inform me ahead of time.

b) Unless you have given an in-character reason for why your character is going to be missing in our previous gaming session, I will personally decide what has transpired to your character during the period of time he is absent.
*Insert cliche BBEG laugh*

Rolling up characters:

1. Roll 4d6.

2. Drop the lowest die from the 4d6.

3. Add the remaining 3d6. Write this number down.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 six times.

5. Once you have all six scores consult page.8 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook to see if you qualify to reroll your stats (Under Rerolling right below Table 1-1 ). This is known as "Crib Death".

6. Assign your six scores as desired to your stats table (Str, Dex, Con, Int, etc.)

7. Now under your six stats add a seventh stat named Comeliness.

8. Roll 3d6. Add the appropriate modifier from the sample table below to this roll and place it in your Comeliness stat. Not all creatures and other factors (such as templates) are included in this table, so ask the DM to look for your specific modifier in chapter two of his book.

Comeliness Table
{table=head]Example Creature Creature|Average Appearance|Modifier
Gubbering mouther, Zombie|1|-5
Ankhag|2-3| -4
Belker, Giant fire beetle|4-5|-3
Bugbear|6-7|-2
Orc, Half-Orc|8-9|-1
Dwarf, Gnome, Human, Tiefling|10-11|+0
Aasimar, Giant Owl, Halfling, Half-Elf|12-13|+1
Elf, Pixie, Red dragon|14-15|+2
Dryad|16-17|+3
Copper Dragon|18-19|+4
Will-O'-Whisp, Matthias|20-21|+5
Succubus|22-23|+6
Nymph|24-25|+7
[/table]

• If you have a low score in a stat role-play it appropriately! If your character has a low Int he is probably stupid. If your character has a low Wis then he is probably not very wise when it comes to making appropriate decisions. If your character has a low Cha then he is probably very awkward in social situations.

Language Changes:

Common

• Common is no longer an automatic language for races or creatures who are not Human, or Half-Human such as Half-Humans/Half-Elves, Half-Human/Half-Orcs, and the O-Stili. However, Common is now available as a Bonus Language option for all PCs and NPCs.

Exceptions: Members of immortal or long-lived races who have existed since before the Last Great Human War still retain Common as an Automatic Language.

Note: Remember that the Skill: (Speak Language) is available as normal for all you who wish to learn Common. However, instead of costing 1 Rank it costs 2 (or 3 if Cross-Class), since it is now considered a dead language in most parts.

Note #2: In my games I keep track of the time and year in-game for each gaming session, so as the years and ages pass through my various campaigns I will eventually remove Common as a bonus language to all races when I feel that the human dominance of the multiverse has finally faded into history.

Other Languages

What languages a character knows in-game, and what language he can possibly learn is not as easy as simply picking from the languages list in the Speak Language section of the skill section in the Player's Handbook. Although many of my games are light-hearted and fun oriented, I still like to have a certain level of realism in my homebrewed campaign setting.

It just does not make sense to me that a dwarf fighter on the material plane who has never plane traveled (which is not very common in my setting, or really in any officially published setting) to know Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal, or possibly all of them. These are the languages of hell, heaven, and the much crazier hell after all.

Since most games/adventures/campaigns tend to start in the "normal" environment for D&D (usually on the surface, in a civilized culture, city, or town which is often multicultural/multiracial to some extent) the following lists made to show what languages an individual would know are based on the assumption that the PCs are starting off from such a place, or that they originate from such locations. However, if an adventure/campaign significantly differs from this norm (such as a campaign originating in the Underdark with drow and such) they will all need to be much different. In addition, if you can come up with a backstory relating to your character as to why he/she would know a specific language language we might be able to work it out in-game.

However, characters who purposely seek to learn and research rare or even otherworldly languages can if they choose, but it will usually take a bit more effort than just stopping by a local library. Even secret racial languages (such as Githyanki) can be learned by characters, but to do so one must find (or force) someone to teach them.

Note: Some languages may appear on multiple lists.

Note #2: This list replaces the standard racial Bonus Languages. You still get a Bonus Language per point of intelligent score modifier, but your character must be able to qualify for any of the languages not listed under Common, or Somewhat Common.

Common languages on Origin:

These are the most widespread languages, and the most likely to be known by members of any race.

-Armandish: (Language of the Armands)
-Dwarven (Along with Dwarven now slowing becoming the dominant trade language once again)
-Elven (Along with Dwarven now slowing becoming the dominant trade language once again)
-Gnome
-Gol-Kaa (Language of the Goliaths)
-Halfling
-Ibixian (Language of the “Goatfolk”)
Notes:
*This language is treated as Common only for those who have had contact with the residents of the Centaur Hunting Grounds, which is where most of the Goatfolk on Origin still reside.
-Kenku (Language of the Kenkus)
-Tuilvilanuue (Language of the Raptorans)

Somewhat Common languages on Origin:

Although used in large numbers throughout this world and many other, these languages are usually as widely known as the Common ones (see above) due to belonging to races and/or cultures known for not being as friendly or outreaching to strangers. However, these races still trade enough, or even travel among the other races for access to their languages to be easy enough for most to learn. Adventurers are especially likely to pick up these languages.
-Gnoll
-Goblin
-Kobold
Note on Kobold:
*Although in essence a different dialect of Draconic, this version of it has changed and evolved enough over the years to be significantly different enough for the average speaker to not be able to not be able to transfer between the two. Although natural born kobolds, and natural born dragons and draconic descended races can communicate between the two, other creatures who take either language as a second language can not. Kobold Draconic is by far the most widespread version of Draconic among the mortal races.
*The Urd subrace of kobolds still speaks this language.
*Spriggans often “take the trouble” to learn kobold (why, even I am not sure).
-Orc
-Giant

Racial Languages

These languages tend to be much less common among other races because either they are closely guarded secrets by those who use them, there has not been enough communication with outside races for the language to have spread (except to a handful of individuals. see below), or at the very least the odds of a creature teaching it to another (often considered "lesser") race is extremely unlikely.

Note: Occasionally merchants who regularly trade with tribes/settlements of these races will pick up these rare and obscure languages. These individuals are quite rare, often hard to find, and will usually charge decent coin for their services.

Note #2: Characters from the below races obviously know their native language.

Format is
Language: common speakers - Setting

Setting Key
OA = Oriental Adventures
DM = Dragon Magazine

-Aboleth: Aboleth's
-Asherati: Asherati
Notes:
*Asherati is treated as a Common for those who come from deserts wastes, since this is where Asherati likely reside.
-Avolakia: Avolakias
-Beholder: Beholders
-Bhuka: Bhukas
Notes:
*Bhuka is treated as a Common for those who come from deserts wastes, since this is where Bhuka likely reside.
-Blink dog: Blink dogs
-Boggle: Boggles
-Buommi: Buommans
-Busos: Busos - OA
-Darfellan: Darfellans
-Dark One: Dark ones
-Desmodu: Desmodus
-Draconic: dragons
Notes:
*Although dragons are rarely seen by anyone, and for most exist mostly in stories and legends races descended (or supposedly descended) from dragons such Draconians and Kobolds retain the language, or at least a form or different dialect of it.
*Sages and the well educated, usually from the older lived races, often learn this archaic language much like sages today IRL might learn Latin. Such individuals have passed down and preserved this language since ages past when dragons were much more common.
-Drow sign language: Drow
-Diopsid: Diopsids
Notes:
*The Diopsid speak using light glands on their bodies, so it is impossible for other creatures to learn it.
-Dvati: Dvati -DM
Notes:
*The Dvati language requires two creatures speaking simultaneously to properly use it.
-Feline: Catfolk/Tibbits -DM
Notes:
*According to the Tibbits' entry in the Dragon Magazine Compendium this language can not be learned by other non-cat creatures/races.
-Grimlock: grimlocks
-Hadozee: Hadozee's
-Kappa: Kappas – OA
-Ibixian: goatfolk
-Jermlaine: Jermalines
-Kuo-Toan: Kuo-Toa
-Loxo: Loxos
-Lupin: Lupins -DM
-Nezumi: Nezumi -OA
-Nycter: Nycters
-Roper: Ropers (Homebrewed back from older editions!)
-Sahuagin: Sahuagins
-Shadowlands: Bog hags, dokufu, Shadowlands oni- OA
-Sphinx: Sphinxs
-Spirit Tongue: Spirit folk, celestials, dragons
-Sporebat: sporebats
Notes:
*”Sporebats speak their own language which is unintelligible to all other listeners" FF
-Stonesinger: stonesinger
-Susurrus: susurrus
Notes:
*A Susurrus speaks hollow-sounding language, which most other creatures do not have the
vocal capacity to reproduce.
-Tako: Tako's -OA
Notes:
*Takos have their own language based on tentacle movements and coloration changes.
*Although understanding this language might be possible, unless you are a mindflayer speaking it might be a whole other matter.
*Tasloi: Tasloi's -OA
-Tengu- OA
-Treant: Treants
-Tusk Terror: tusk terrors
-Vanara: Vanara -OA
-Worg: worgs
-Yuan-ti: Yuan-Ti
-Zern: Zerns

Otherworldly Languages

These languages are languages usually only spoken on the Inner and Outer Planes. Your average person on the Material would not know how to speak the language spoken by the chaotic devils of the Abyss, nor would he understand the songs sang by the angels and celestials of the heavenly Celestia. Most individuals would not even be aware that such languages even exist.

Note: There are exceptions to this, which are listed under each language when appropriate.

Format is
Language: common speakers - Setting

Setting Key
OA = Oriental Adventures
DM = Dragon Magazine

-Abyssal: Demons
Exceptions:
*Tieflings descended from demons, and other creatures who descend from demonic blood learn this language innately, as by instinct.
-Auran: air creatures
Exceptions:
*Creatures who take to the skies are also likely to know this language, often due to millennia of contact and trade with with the Plane of Air and/or creatures from there.
*This includes Avariels, Reptorans, and Giant Eagles.
-Aquan: water creatures
Exceptions:
*Aquatic Variants of standard races.
-Buommi: Buommans
-Celestial: celestial creatures
Exceptions:
*Aasimars, and other creatures who descend from celestial blood learn this language innately, as by instinct.
-Diabolan: Diaboli -DM
-Formian: Formians
-Ghost Elven: Ghost Elves -DM
-Githyanki: Githyanki¹
-Githzerai: githzerai¹
Howler: Howlers
Notes:
*"If there is a language within the howls as some have suggested even spells cannot decipher it." MM3.5
-Glucose: candy creatures
-Ignan: fire creatures
Exceptions:
*Fire Elemental Racial variant of the standard races (see Unearthed Arcana)
*Infernal: Devils
Notes:
*Tieflings descended from Devils, and other creatures descended from infernal blood learn this language innately, as by instinct.
-Kaorti: Kaortis
-Khen-Zai: Ethergaunts
Notes:
*Ethergaunts communicate with each other using their own language, Khen-Zai, which cannot be learned by those who lack their unique anatomy.” -FF p.65
-Lumi:lumi
-Neraph: Neraphim
-Nerra: Nerras
-Odopis: Odopis
-Phiuhl: Phiuhl
Notes:
*"Phiuhls speak no audible languge but they appear to communicate with one another" FF
-Rhek: Rheks
-Slaad: Slaadi
-Shadowswyft: shadowswyfts
-Sylvan: fey
Note:
*Although no longer truly fey, elves still pass this language down in their various cultures. Many elves still have close contact with fey races, and most respect and admire them in some way. Even the drow have some innate longing for what once was.
-Terran: earth creatures
-Windsong: windblades

Secret Languages

-Druidic
-Githyanki: Githyanki¹

Special Cases

-Undercommon
Although this language is usually found only in the Underdark, it has become widely used by criminal organizations and those who deal in the underworld of civilizations on the surface. Rogue may take this language freely, and characters who deal with such individuals on a regular bases may eventually pick up this language.

Common languages for Underdark dwellers

-Dark Ones: dark Ones
-Diopsid: Diopsids
Notes:
*The Diopsid speak using light glands on their bodies, so it is impossible for other creatures to learn it.
-Dwarven: dwarves
-Elven: drow
-Gnome: deep gnomes
-Gol-Kaa: goliaths
-Grimlock: grimlocks
-Kobold: Kobolds
-Nycter: Nycters
-Undercommon: drow, mindflayers

Common languages for Aquatic Races

-Aquan: water creatures

-Darfellan: Darfellans

-Dwarf
-Elven
-Gnome
-Hadozee: Hadozee's
-Halfling
-Kappa: Kappas – OA
-Kobold: Aquatic Kobolds
-Sahuagin: Sahuagins
-Tako: Tako's -OA
Notes:
*Takos have their own language based on tentacle movements and coloration changes.
*Although understanding this language might be possible, unless you are a mindflayer speaking it might be a whole other matter.

Common languages for Desert Races

-Armandish: Armands
-Asherati: Asherati
-Bhuka: Bhukas
-Dwarven
-Elven
-Gnome
-Halfling
-Kobold
-Loxo: Loxos

Languages of Fey

-Elven
-Ibixian: goatfolk
-Jermlaine: Jermalines
-Sylvan: Centaur,Pixies, etc

Dead Languages

-Illumian: Illumians
Notes:
*The Illumians are believed to have all died out across the multiverse during the Last Great Human War.
-Rokugani- OA
Notes:
*This was the native language of a distant human empire. This empire fell along with the city states of Flanes during the Last Great Human War.

¹"similar enough to the tongue of the the githyanki that either could understand the other if they chose to speak" MM3.5

Speaking Out of Character:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/MrSnuggleBunsCropped.png
Mr. Snuggle Buns

This is Mr. Snuggle Buns. He is our official Out-of-Character Teddy Bear. While a game is in progress, you must gain possession of Mr. Snuggle Buns, and hold him up high in the air in order to speak out-of-character. Otherwise, everything you say is considered in-character.

Non-Core Rules:

• Any non-core rules (classes, powers, spells, feats, etc.) you wish to use must be run past me for approval. If they are in a book, magazine, or other source I do not own please try to make a copy of the specific rules you wish to use for me (not the whole thing!). Either a physical or digital copy will do.

• Notes on specific books:
-Third Party books: I am a fan of third party books. If you have one you would like to use feel free to pass it by me.
-Complete Psionics: Forget about it. As far as I am concerned it doesn't exist. If you wish to use something from it pass it by me, but no errata or rules from it are mandatory.

• I consider Dragon Magazine material (from before the licenses were taken away by WotC) to be as official as WotC printed material.

• WotC has a large amount of 3.x material available on their site.

• The official setting sites for the older edition settings such as Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, etc hold material I am will to look over. I am quite fond and supportive of said sites and groups.

• I am willing to look over homebrewed material from either the WotC or Giants in the Playground forums.

Player Styles:

• Powergaming is not encouraged.

• If you are a rules lawyer you might find my game somewhat unenjoyable.

• Having a solid well thought-out background story for your character would be appreciated!

Experience and Leveling Up:

I do not use the XP method of character level progression suggested in the 3.5 Player's Handbook and the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide.

I do not grant experience after every session, but instead I personally keep note of each character's personal progress, my assessment of each character's personal level of mechanical/statistical power, my assessment of each player's competence with his character, and an overall assessment of the entire adventuring group's level of power, abilities, and competence. I then inform the player(s) when their character(s) have gained a level.

Some of (but not necessarily all) the factors I consider when assessing character advancement are:

Personal character goals achieved, and accomplishments. Other characters may or may not benefit from helping another achieve their personal goals.
Group/Party joint goals achieved, and joint group/party accomplishments.
My assessment of individual character, and overall party power. Logically, if I see that the group, or an individual, is plowing through encounters effortless I will adjust things as needed. At the same time, if I feel that the group, or individuals, are not ready to advance I will adjust things as needed.

Some (but not all) of the reasons I considered before making this decision were:

The fact that I use low-magic and low-wealth require that I make logical adjustments to certain creatures and their suggested CRs, since their CRs are based on the suggested XP, wealth, and magic systems in the PHB1 and DMG1.
The changes to my game world also affect the relative "power" of player characters, so I need to take a more direct role in assessing a character's and the entire party's true level of power and competence.
I wish to take a more active role as the DM in judging the level and abilities of both the group of adventurers as a whole, and each character individually. I mean this in terms of game mechanics, as well as each player's ability to run his character. The feel that the "standard" XP/leveling system does not account for this, and allows (or in my opinion forces) players to advance to a higher level of gaming before they are ready for it. I have seen this multiple times in my gaming experiences, and I have gone through it myself.
I desire to run a more in-depth and personal style of game for my players and their characters. The "standard" fast-pace XP system simply does not allow for such games, since it was clearly intended for quicker dungeon crawl and module style games. I try to run a campaign which revolves around the life story of heroic characters, instead of the story of a few quick dungeon adventures.

newbDM
2009-01-29, 08:45 PM
In my campaign world I will be significantly altering some rules and mechanics:
(Additions to this list will be added over time.)

Magic Changes

An Explanation of How Magic Works in My Multiverse (Both Arcane & Divine):

n my setting magic can be looked as a "process" by which those few who have access to it can manipulate, or even break reality to their will.

This "process" requires three separate step:

Step 1: The Power Source

Magic, whether divine or arcane in nature, requires a "power source" to function. This source of power must be of massive quantity, for it must bend the fabric of reality itself to it's wielder's will.

This "power" supplied by these sources can not be described easily, and divine and arcane power are two very different beasts. Some scholars describe this power as the pure unrefined state of the universe, contained and harnessed to reshape reality after it has settled into it's current state. Others believe the power used to achieve magic originates from beyond even the multiverse itself (from where is not certain), explaining why it is able to bypass the very laws of physics which govern the various realities of the cosmic wheel. Many more theories abound of course, but these are among the most pursued by scholars.

The gods themselves serve as the power sources for their Divine Casters. Bestowing a small portion of their colossal power within each of their chosen vessels. However, though the gods are entities on a level of existence which is incomprehensible to most mortal minds, their power is not truly limitless so they must be wise in distributing it among their followers.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/932a637662e05759b5b83ca9924282fe-1.jpg

(Above is an adept being bestowed her god's power after her morning prayer.)

Sources of arcane power can come in many different forms, though all are rare, and all are viciously sought by countless beings and organizations from throughout the Great Wheel. The appeal of an arcane power source is that it frees one from reliance on another being such as a god. However, one must still have the scarce knowledge of how to focus and manipulate this cosmic power (see Step 2 below), which is why many Arcane Casters originate from the ranks of Divine Casters.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Mountain_Of_Light_by_muslimz-1.jpg

(Above is a depiction of a mythical spellbook.)

Step 2: Focusing The Power Into Our World

As stated above having access to a power source, though a feat of immense and widespread significant on it's own, alone does not mean one can create "magic". The power must still be brought into our reality. This requires that the power be focused through a specific physical item who's properties will interact with the energy to achieve a desired effect. Which item is used for which "spell" varies depending on what effect the "caster" is trying to achieve.

Usually the strain caused by this process damages or completely destroys the object used as the "focus". Because of this most focuses are one use items. Holy symbols are an exception to this, for they are protected by the deities they embellish.

Sometimes a bit more effort on the caster's part is needed to achieve a desired magical effect when simply focusing the cosmic power is not enough. This is when a caster might insert Somatic Components and/or Verbal Components into a spell to further manipulate the energy to his liking.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Lulu_casting_a_fire_spell.jpg

Step 3: The Result

The cosmic power, now properly focused and manipulated to achieve a goal, fully enters our reality and attempts to change it as the caster had planned. (This is akin to how an alchemist might mix and manipulate chemicals to make them suitable to achieve a specific purpose, such as melting rocks or exploding.)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/__G_S_V___Alexandria__s_Spell_by_Mo.jpg

All Magic (Both Arcane & Divine):

Magic is an extremely rare thing to come across on the Plane of Origin. Divine magic is usually only seen in the largest of holy temples, while arcane magic is almost exclusive to the mighty dragons.

Learning Spells

• Whether arcane or divine, no mage simply learns new spells at level up. All casters must either track down a spell to add to their repertoire, or they must research spells on their own.

A caster can learn up to as many spells as indicated in her class's Spells Known table. Casters with spellbooks have no limit to the number of spells they can potentially learn.

All casters must learn their spells using one of the two following methods:
a) Although scrolls are extremely rare items, a caster who happens to come across one can learn a spell from it using the following method, provided it is on her spell list.

Note: Arcane casters can also use the following method to learn spells from a spellbook. However, only Wizards and a handful of their arcane spellcaster lackeys posses such powerful items, so they are both extremely rare and guarded viciously.

No matter what the spell’s source, the caster must first decipher the magical writing (see Magical Writings). Next, she must spend an entire week studying the spell. At the end of the week, she must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). If the check succeeds, the caster understands the spell and has learned it (provided she has not reached her Spells Known limit). A wizard can proceed to copy the spell into her spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook in the PHB)). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

If the check fails, the caster cannot understand or copy the spell. She cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until she gains another rank in Spellcraft. A spell that was being copied from a scroll does not vanish from the scroll.

Note: A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from her specialty school.

b) A caster can attempt to use Independent Research to learn a spell from her spell list.

To attempt to learn a spell through independent research a caster needs access to a Research Lab. A research lab contains various equipment and tools for experimentation, and a small library of rare books dealing withe either arcane or divine arts essential for the caster's research to be successful. A Research Lab with a library of books relating to divine magic may cost anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 gp depending where it is being constructed (as determined by DM), while a Research Lab containing a library consisting of books relating to arcane magic is virtually priceless.

Independently researching a spell requires two months of continuous work per level of the spell being researched, and the use of supplies costing 1d10*100gp per spell level (4d10*100 for a lvl 4 spell). After this time period is complete the character may attempt a spellcraft to see if she manages to learn the spell (see above).

If the check fails the time spent is lost and the costly supplies are wasted. However, a caster may immediately try researching the same spell once again if she so chooses.

Material Components & Foci

• All spells require either a material component or a focus to function, even if one isn't listed on the spell's entry.

Below is a list of spells and their required material components and or focuses. This supersedes any material components and focuses which might be listed on the spell's original entry. If there is a spell you wish to use which is not currently listed here please inform me and I will decide on it's appropriate components. Any verbal components, somatic components, and/or XP listed on the spell are still required as normal.

-Blink: (M) The sucker from the tentacle of a Displacer Beast, or a bit of fur from a blink dog.

-Bull's Strength: (M) A flask of ogre blood.

-Cat's Grace: (M) A whisker from a predatory dire feline.

-Cure Minor Wounds: (M) A cotton ball.

-Cure Light Wound: (M) A rare herb known as Cleanse in common.

Note: Cleanse can only be found in the wild. In small cities and larger communities with temples where adepts, or even clerics, reside a small market exists for this herb. Although usually only the local temples' divine casters have need for the herb, a wondering adept is usually allowed to purchase the herb if there is some to spare. The common market price for a Cleanse Herb is 50gp, although it might fetch a higher price in smaller communities or in places where there is usually no market for it.

-Cure Moderate Wounds: (M) A very rare and beautiful flower known as Lunar in Common (Most other races tend to have a similar meaning name for it relating to the moon).

Note: Lunar is a beautiful moonlight-blue flower, which shines with a magical aura of sparking lights surrounding it that resembles the moonlight sparkling off the waters of a crystal clear lake. It posses great healing potential, even for those who do not understand magic. Lunar only sprouts from the ground during a full moon, and unless plucked before the sun rises on the next morning it bursts into a small cloud of small white spores once the sun's first rays touches the small plant's petals. These spores are caught by the wind and spread across the land. The flower's magical sparkle remains even after being plucked from the ground.

Lunar is so potent at heeling that even an arcane magic user can gain some benefit from it. One capable of casting arcane magic can attempt to use a dose of lunar to cast the spell Cure Minor Would, even if she would not normally be able to cast said spell. There is an 80% chance the arcane caster will succeed (this includes the automatic 5% failure chance).

Lunar fetches a fine price in the open market. A common price for lunar in communities with a demand for it is around 300gp, although prices may vary greatly in any community.

-Cure Serious Wounds: (F) A flower that blossomed in the area where a unicorn slept.

-Cure Critical Wounds: (F) A feather freely given by an archon.

-Fireball: (M) A scale from a salamander.

-Fly: (F) A feather from an eagle that lived on the Plane of Air.

-Haste: (F) The caster's own body. This causes the caster to age one full year after the spell is complete. Elves, Fey, and immortal Outsiders instead lose one point of Con for one solar cycle.

-Regenerate: (M) A bit of troll hair.

-Reincarnate: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains five years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power need to form an entirely new body for the fallen, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The reincarnated creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan (based on the creature it returns as).

b) No creature can be forced to undergo this ritual against it's will.

c) Elves and Fey, due to their immortal nature, can not "sacrifice" what is essentially a small fraction of infinity. Instead when elves or fey volunteer to be the focus of this spell they instead enter a long deep sleep which will last five years. There bodies essentially enter a form of suspended animation while it slowly replenishes the life force it lost. Their bodies will not require food, water, or anything besides air during this period, and their bodies cease producing waste.

d) Half-Elves who have chosen an elven lifespan react to this as an elf would. Half-Elves who have chosen a human's lifespan react to this as a human would. Half-Elves who have not yet reached their twentieth cycle can not become focuses for this spell.

e) Although living constructs posses souls, their life force is too different for them to act as focuses for this spell, even for other living constructs.

-Resurrection: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains twenty years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power needed to restore the fallen to life. His own life force provides the raw life material needed to repair (or completely rebuild) the fallen's body, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The resurrected creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan.

c) Elves and Fey, due to their immortal nature, can not "sacrifice" what is essentially a small fraction of infinity. Instead when elves or fey volunteer to be the focus of this spell they instead enter a long deep sleep which will last twenty years. There bodies essentially enter a form of suspended animation while it slowly replenishes the life force it lost. Their bodies will not require food, water, or anything besides air during this period, and their bodies cease producing waste.

d) Half-Elves who have chosen an elven lifespan react to this as an elf would. Half-Elves who have chosen a human's lifespan react to this as a human would. Half-Elves who have not yet reached their twentieth cycle can not become focuses for this spell.

e) Although living constructs posses souls, their life force is too different for them to act as focuses for this spell, even for other living constructs.

-True Resurrection: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains forty years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power needed to restore the fallen to life. His own life force provides the raw life material needed to repair (or completely rebuild) the fallen's body, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The reincarnated creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan.

c) Elves and Fey, due to their immortal nature, can not "sacrifice" what is essentially a small fraction of infinity. Instead when elves or fey volunteer to be the focus of this spell they instead enter a long deep sleep which will last forty years. There bodies essentially enter a form of suspended animation while it slowly replenishes the life force it lost. Their bodies will not require food, water, or anything besides air during this period, and their bodies cease producing waste.

Arcane Casters:

Arcane magic is a rare art practiced almost exclusively by a few races in the multiverse. Among the mortal races arcane casters are almost nonexistent, but for those rare few who have managed to master arcane magic the rewards are immense.

On average an entire race of creatures spread throughout the various planes and worlds has at most a handful of wizards among it's numbers. Other types of true arcane casters are just as rare, or even rarer (some are even unique to a single individual).

Some races are considered not to have a sole arcane caster among them, such as the savage orcs. The dying humanity is believed to be down to it's last (and many believe final) wizard Elminster.

The most common arcane casters are the Arcane Spallcasters, though true arcane casters always refer to them as "semi-true casters" and argue they are merely over-glorified apprentices.

Exceptions to this trend

-Dragons:
(See The Sorcerer under Class Specific Changes below)

-Fey and Elves:
Fey are as much magic as they are flesh and bone. They posses an understanding of the multiverse and the natural forces it is composed of unlike that of any other creature. This gives them an ease with magic rivaled only by that of the dragons. In addition no fey can ever truly die, so every fey arcane caster who has ever existed still wonders the multiverse today.

Pure-blooded fey can take levels in arcane Classes and Prestige Classes without restriction, though they must still be trained in their desired class(s). Half-Fey of all types benefit from this as well. Note that such fey are almost certainly in the service of either the Seelie Court or the Queen of Air and Darkness, and so preoccupied in the conflict between the Seelie and Unseelie that it is almost unheard of for one to be spotted outside the Plane of Faire or the Seelie Court's traveling realm.

Although elves have long since broken away from the fey, to some extent they still retain some of their fey blood and magic. Of all the "mortal" races, elves are by far the most skilled with all forms of magic.

All elves have a 5% chance of being born with an innate talent for arcane magic. Provided they can obtain a suitable tutor, these individuals can take levels in arcane Classes and Prestige Classes without restriction, though they must still train in their desired class(s). However, in all the multiverse elves are still only slightly higher in number of arcane casters than the truly mortal races, for the secrets of the arcane arts are still held secret by even the elven arcane casters. The First Ones were an exception to this, but they are all but gone.

Note: The biggest significance of this is that they can potentially train as sorcerers.

Divine Casters:

• Although all divine magic is granted by the gods themselves, even the most powerful deities only have so much power to divide among their worshipers. This means that in essence all divine casters are direct manifestations of their deities on the various planes. They are all personally chosen by their god to act as vessels through which it channels it's divine power to influence the many worlds and planes of existence simultaneously. These individuals represent the deity, and are responsible for carrying out it's wishes.

• The number of divine casters a deity commands is directly proportional to the deity's level of power (Greater, Intermediate, Lesser, Demi, Quasi, Small).

• Below is the average number of divine casters in a deity's temple based on settlement sizes (assuming the deity has a following in said settlement):
{table=head]Settlement Size|Population#|of divine casters
Thorp |20-80|Odds are at most there is a small shrine for the deity.
Hamlet|81-400|None.|May have a small chapel lead by a resident, elder, or even leader.
Village|401-900|May have a small chapel lead by an expert dedicated to the deity. These individuals are known as Acolytes.
Small Town|901-2,000|One adept leading a small church and 1d3 acolytes.
Large town|2,001-5,000|1d3 adepts leading a moderate church and 1d10 acolytes.
Small City|5,001-12,000|1d6 adepts leading a large church and 2d12 acolytes.
Large City|12,001-25,000|1 Divine Spellcaster leading a temple, 1d8 adepts, and 3d20 acolytes.
Metropolis|25,001 or more|1 Cleric leading an entire monastery, 1d3 Divine Spellcasters, 1d12 adepts, and 2d% acolytes.[/table]

• A divine caster not associated with a church/temple/monastery/etc, or some other religious order dedicated to a deity, pantheon, or group of like minded deities is unheard of. All divine caster PCs must have a religious organization they are bound to. Even savage races have some form of religious order within their communities, albeit less strict and ordered.

• Divine casters receive great respect and admiration among their deity's followers. To most those who wield their god's power are important individuals. They view these blessed souls as vessels containing the power and wisdom of their very god. Even the lowest adepts are always payed careful attention to whenever speaking, and they will also be welcomed and offered food and shelter.

Divine mechanics:

All divine magic is granted from deities. This means everyone who wishes to use divine magic must have a deity who grants them their spells and abilities. If you are a divine caster who does not need/use domains you must still have a patron deity who grants you your spells and abilities. This also applies ti classes such as Druids and Rangers.

Specific powers/spells:

Some psionic powers and magical spells will be significantly altered in my campaign world.

Currently altered spells include:

Reincarnation
Reincarnation has been extensively rewritten for my games. I will not reveal the new reincarnation table(s) to my players, but be assured that they will be consistent. What I will say is that there is now a much wider range of possible outcomes.

Plane Shift
Plane Shift does not require a tuning fork to function. Instead you require either:
a) Very detailed knowledge of the plane and location you wish to visit (usually a Knowledge: [The Planes] check)

b) A very detailed mental image of the place. Something like being able to locate and examine a very detailed painting or portrait of said plane might suffice.

c) If you posses an item made or crafted on said plane using only materials harvested from said plane, you might be able to use said item as a focus. This will take a Concentration check and a full-round action to achieve. The base Concentration check needed is a DC30, but I am free to alter this depending on the current circumstances.

If you have this power/spell you are capable of shifting to any plane of existence. This includes all the published WotC settings, so you would be able to jump from Greyhawk, to Faerun, to Ebberon and back. This would also allow you to jump from one material plane to another (other DMs' worlds), so feel free to bring back old characters from other games if wish to.

Magic Items Specific Changes:

To craft a magic item one must infuse a small portion of himself into it.

XP is not used to craft magic items. Instead the crafter must use/transfer a small amount of his life force into the item being crafted. This is reflected by having a minimum of one hit point permanently drained for every 2,000XP required to craft the item.

Exceptions to this

Elves & Fey:
The immortal nature of elves and fey allow them to slowly restore the life force they lose. They will regain 1 HP lost in the process of crating a magic item for every 10 years they live afterward.

This has allowed elven communities to slowly stockpile over the centuries more magic item for soldiers/individuals than any other races. However, since even a single small outpost's armory most likely took hundreds of years worth of work to create elven governments rarely allow for magic items to be traded from their lands to other races, or even to other elves, and all privately owned magic items are usually kept track of by their governments. A majority of all elven magic items are owned by the governments, royalty, and nobles of elven lands.

newbDM
2009-01-29, 08:47 PM
Race Changes

Races specific changes:

Elves (All):
Elves descend from the fey, and the Seldarine were once part of the Seelie Court. This was before the Queen of Air and Darkness broke of to form the Unseelie Court. This also means that the Dark Seldarine were once part of the Seelie Court, since they were once part of the Seldarine. In fact, it is believed by some that it was the Queen of Air and Darkness herself who later tempted Lolth into darkness, in a humorous way mirroring what had happened to the Seelie Court in the Seldarine.

Elves still retain some of their fey magic. Once they reach their middle age category (p. 109 of the PHB) they cease aging any further physically (this overrules the PHB entry). However, due to their nature and outlook on life they due not get the mental benefits of Old and venerable age. They are immune to any spell or effect which would cause them to age an age category.

Elves may not die of old age, but they can still be killed by normal means, such as by the edge of a blade.

Elves (Specific Subraces):

High Elves:

• Alignment:
Due to their more structured society High Elves tend toward law more than most elves. Because of this their alignment is usually Neutral Good (NG).

Please see my section on High Elves on my website for more information about this change:
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/uniqueraces.htm#230542176

Half-Elves (All):
Half-Elves are now believed to outnumber Humans. Being wanderers by nature, and many having elven family to lie low with until the last human war ended allowed a large majority of them to survive. Although some did fight along their human brethren, their fey blood allowed many to break free from what had driven humanity madly into their own destruction.

Players wishing to make a Half-Elf characters may choose any one of the following options during their character's creation. Once this choice is made there is no going back. You must let me know which option you choose at the start of our first gaming session.

1. You may use the stats for a regular High Elf from pg.15 of the PHB instead of the Half-Elf stats from the PHB. Appearance, background, story, and games wise you are still a normal Half-Elf in every way.

If you talk to me I might allow you to use other elf races (such as those in the MM) for this purpose. I might even allow for Elf races with an LA, however, the Half-X elf/human must take the LA and any Racial HD as normal.

Such Half-Elves would usually be Half-Elves who were raised in an elven community. They are almost always Half-Elves who chose their elven parents' lifespan, due to the time required to learn the "elven way", but this is not required. Such Half-Elves prefer to view themselves as Half-Humans, rather than as Half-Elves

2. You may use the stats for a regular human from pg.12 of the PHB instead of the Half-Elf stats from the PHB.

Such Half-Elves would usually be Half-Elves raised in a human community. These Half-Elves vary on which life-span they choose, for many a human craves immortality.

3a. You may use the regular rules for Half-Elves from pg.18 of the PHB.

3b. To balance the regular Half-Elf out you may choose to also have the +1 skill point per level Humans receive on pg.12 of the PHB along with the regular Half-Elf rules from pg.18 of the PHB.

4. Half-Human variant from pg.171 of the DMG.

In addition all Half-Elves/Half-Humans must make an important decision once they reach twenty years of life. They must choose whether to follow their elven parent's ageless path, or to follow their human parent's lifespan. This decision is a very personal one, but they only have ten sunsets from the first sunrise of their twentieth year to decide. If they do not make a decision by the tenth sunset they automatically gain an elven lifespan by Corellon Larethian's will.

Half-Drow:
Half-Drow are also believed to outnumber Humans in the present day. However, most still reside in the underdark as slaves to their Drow kin.

Like the Half-Elf, players choosing to play a Half-Drow have a number of options. This choice must be made at character creation.

1. You may use the regular Drow stats from the MM1. You must take the regular LA.

These Half-Drow are always the children of noble drow parent.

Such Half-Drow are usually raised in the underdark by their Drow masters. They are always referred to as Half-Humans by the Drow, so most are accustomed to this title.

2. You may use the Lesser Drow from the Player’s Guide to Faerun pg.191. You must take the regular LA.

These Half-Drow are almost always the offspring of a lesser/common drow parent.

Such Half-Drow are usually raised in the underdark by their Drow masters. They are always referred to as Half-Humans by the Drow, so most are accustomed to this title.

3. You may use the regular rules for Half-Drow from Races of Faerun pg.62.

4. If you desire you can also take the nerfed Half-Drow in Drow of the Underdark.

All Half-Drow must make the same lifespan decision Half-Elves do.

Savage Races specific changes:
Note: With humanity mostly gone the Savage Races are quickly becoming major powers again competing with the Long-Lived Races. Therefore monstrous races are viable player choices, and I am willing to help accommodate players wanting to play them in any of numerous ways. Such methods can include buying off LAs using the rules in Unearthed Arcana, the Racial Progression rules from Savage Species, and others.

Below are monstrous races I have adjusted for various reasons.

Gnolls:

Recently gnolls have become a major power on Origin's continent Flanes. With humanity gone their numbers have swelled, and the competing tribes of Flanes' Western Planes have been united under a single leader.

After much discussion with other DMs and players I have come to believe gnolls are underpowered for an ECL 3 race. Therefore players wishing to play a gnoll may choose from the following options:

1. The players may choose to play a gnoll keeping it's two Racial Humanoid HD, but ignore the LA+1. Hence giving them an ECL 2 base character.

2. The players may choose to keep the LA+1, but lose the 2 Racial Hit Dice. Hence giving the players an ECL 1 base character, but losing the skill points, BaB, Feats, and saving throw increases given by those two Hit Dice/levels.

Favored Class changes:

Considering the big changes to magic in my cosmology, as well as my thematic changes to some races, some races' Favored Class entries simply no longer make sense.

Below are the races and subraces I have altered the Favored Class entry so far. I have so far only done the most common racial choices. If you have a race or creature with a magic oriented favored class please let me know, and I will assign it one I feel fits it well fluffwise.

Drow:

Standard MM1 Drow (aka "Noble Drow")

Favored Class:
A (Noble) Drow's favored class is Fighter (Male) or Adept (Female). This replaces the information found in the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Please see my section on Drow on my website for more information about this change:
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/uniqueraces.htm#209333438

Lesser Drow (aka "Common Drow")

Favored Class:
A Lesser/Common Drow's favored class is Fighter (Male) or Rogue (Female). This replaces the information found in Races of Faerun.

Please see my section on Drow on my website for more information about this change:
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/uniqueraces.htm#209333438

Elves:

High Elves:

Favored Class:
A High Elves' favored class is Fighter. This replaces the information found in both the 3.5 Player's Handbook and the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Please see my section on High Elves on my website for more information about this change:

Avariel

Favored Class:
An Avariels' favored class is Adept (for a member of the Peaceful Cast) or Fighter (for a member of the Warrior Cast). This replaces the information found in the 3.5 Races of Faerun.

Please see my section on Avariel Elves on my website for more information about this change:

Wild Elf

Favored Class:
A Wild Elves' favored class is Barbarian. This replaces the information found in the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Please see my section on Wild Elves on my website for more information about this change:

Wood Elf

Favored Class:
A Wood Elves' favored class remains Ranger. However, it uses the Champion of the Wild Ranger variant from Complete Champion (p.50), as do all rangers in my multiverse.

Please see my section on Wood Elves on my website for more information about this change:

Kobolds:

Standard MM1 Kobold

Favored Class:
A Kobold's favored class is Fighter. This replaces the information found in the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Please see my section on Kobolds on my website for more information about this change:
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/uniqueraces.htm#247487563

newbDM
2009-01-29, 08:49 PM
Class & Prestige Class Changes

Class Specific Changes:
(Additions to this list might be added over time.)

The Adept:
a) The Adept is the only caster class available at first level to PCs.

b) To take this class the player must have a background story explaining where the character received his magical training, and what the character did to earn this training. Depending on this background, and how it fits into the current campaign and/or campaign world the DM can choose to veto this character.

The Artificer:
a) Psionic Artificers are fairly common, and are especially common on Eberron.

b) Arcane/Divine Artificers are as rare (if not rarer) as any arcane class, and must still be in good standing a devotion of their deity for access to their divine magic.

Notes: Although magic artificers still use their life force (HP) to craft their items, they have a much more efficient at the process. Magic artificers do not have to use a of one HP point per magic item made, but instead they use their life force to create a secondary XP reserve. At any time of his choosing a magic artificer may choose to funnel a small portion of himself (1 permanent HP) into this secondary craft reserve, which grants the artificer enough XP equal to 1/3 of his normal craft reserve for that level. For example: A 6th level artificer would receive 50XP for every 1 HP. However, they still receive their standard craft reserve, which does not affect their life force.

Note:Magic items unique to magic (without a psionic parallel) can fetch an immense price.

The Bard:
a) The Bard class from the PHB is not available. Instead it is replaced with the Bard Prestige Class from Unearthed Arcana p.70.

This PrC can also be found in the SRD:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm

However, there are a few changes as follows.

This prestige class is only available to divine casters whose deity's portfolio and dogma is fitting for a patron of bards (completely at DM's discretion). For example, the elven deity Ye'Cind, and the gnome deity Garl Glittergold are two gods known to patron bards.
Ignore the following prerequisite for the bard PrC: "Ability to cast at least one 1st-level arcane spell from each of the divination, enchantment, and illusion schools.".
They use the spell list as is, but their spells are of a divine nature, not arcane.

The Cleric:
a) The Cleric is now a Prestige Class instead of a Class.

b) One can not decide to become a cleric. Instead it is solely up to the gods themselves to decide when they will bestow a portion of their power to a new individual, and whom it will be.

c) On the rare occasions when a faithful servant is chosen by it's deity to become one of it's clerics the god will personally give her a holy quest to fulfill in the deity's name. If the candidate is successful, upon returning to her temple all her adept (and divine spellcaster) levels are instantly replaced with an equal number of cleric levels. As she sets foot inside the sacred area she becomes a vessel for her god's divine power, and it's voice on among it's people(s).

d) Usually only those who have risen among the ranks of the deity's clergy have been chosen for this sacred task. This most often means advancing from adept all the way up to another clerc's retinue of divine spellcaster's. However, may vary from deity to deity and the culture's they rule over.

The Paladin:
a)The Paladin class from the PHB is not available. Instead it is replaced with the Paladin Prestige Class from Unearthed Arcana p. 70.

As the DM I feel that the background and prestige of the Paladin, based on it's fluff, is something which must be earned and achieved. Therefore, to become a Paladin a player must work for it.

If a game starts below the level this prestige class would become available to the PC then obtaining it must be role-played in game.

If a game starts at a higher level, then it is up to me to rule on whether you are allowed to already have the prestige class. Either way, background on the character and it's desire to become a Paladin would be required.

b) If you wish to play a Paladin your character must choose a deity and cause and serve said ideal perfectly. You must role-play this accordingly. This is the purpose of being a Paladin after all. (See Paladin Code below)

c) The Paladin's Code: The Paladin's Code must be written down in black and white, for the player and GM to refer to. It need not be exhaustive, but must cover the basic points. The player and GM should collaborate to come up with a code both of them are happy with. The Code is not subject to revision.

This PrC can also be found in the SRD:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm

The Ranger:
a) The Ranger class from the PHB is not available. Instead it is replaced with the Champion of the Wild Ranger variant from Complete Champion (p.50). If you do not have a copy of Complete Champion please ask to see my personal copy during our gaming session.

The Sorcerer:
a) Sorcerers are practically nonexistent in this campaign setting. As they are defined in the Player's Handbook they simply do not exist. The only "true sorcerers" are the dragons.

b) The various dragons, with the exception of the gem dragons who founded psionics, were the ones who discovered (some would argue invented!) arcane magic. This is why magic runs through their very veins, and why only they can truly spontaneously cast, control, and create it. This is also why almost all arcane spells were originally created by dragon, since they do not have the same difficulties learning spells and creating new ones as other races due (this means dragons/dragon sorcerers learn spells as it is described in the Sorcerer's entry in the PHB).

c) The only race aside from dragons who can freely taking the sorcerer class as they desire are Half-Dragons. This applies to Half-Dragons of all types, except for Half-Gem Dragons.

However, Half-Dragons still face the same difficulties learning new spells as all other races, and must still use the required components to cast their spells.

d) The only other way for a creature to be eligible for the Sorcerer class is if it is directly descended from a non-gem dragon ancestor. This must be reflected by possessing at least four Dragon Heritage Feats (see the Draconomicon and Races of the Dragon).

However, these creatures still face the same difficulties learning new spells as all other races, and must still use the required components to cast their spells.

The Wizard:
a) The PHB wizard is a Prestige Class instead of a Class.

b) A PC/NPC can only become a wizard by being accepted as an apprentice by a full-fledged wizard, and completing it's training under the wizard (1d6 years).

c) Wizards will never waste their time training anything less than an Arcane Spellcaster who already a basic grasp on arcane magic. Often a wizard will select these candates for wizardry from the best (or favored) amongst the Arcane Spellcaster "lackeys" he has personally taught.

d) Before granting a candidate apprenticeship the wizard will most likely give her a test or quest of some sort to measure her worth and abilities (see Test-Based Prerequisites above).

Classes, Prestige Classes & Multiclassing:

Taking a Prestige Class, and even a basic Class, assumes that you have learned the ways of said class somehow. This usually means that a creature had to learn it from some another creature, group, or organization which has already mastered said path.

For your first Class it is assumed that you went through the necessary training before the campaign or adventure began.

If you wish to take a Prestige Class, or Multiclass into another Class during the game you must seek out someone to train you in the class In-Game before you can gain it. It is not as simple as pulling out a book Out-of-Game and saying you want to be X and Y with a level dip of Z.

This process can be achieved in a number of ways. A character wishing to take levels in fighter might petition a town's local garrison for training. A Character wishing to take levels in Rogue might try getting training at a city's Thieves Guild. A character wishing to learn a divine class, or even a Cleric wishing to take a divine PrC, might be able to find training at a local temple. Maybe a Wizard or Sorcerer looking to enter an Arcane PrC can find apprenticeship under someone who has already mastered the class, or even at the organization the PrC is related to (such as The Arcane Order).

Prestige Class Prerequisites:

Test-Based Prerequisites

The prerequisites listed on a prestige class's entry serves more as a guideline than a strict rule.

For Example: In-Game the leader of a assassins' guild would not know that your character has 8 Ranks in hide, or that your Sneak Attack is at X number of d6. Such things do exist in his perspective, so they would not impress him. However, if your character were to bring him a jewel straight from the local noble's crown that would most likely impress him enough to offer you membership into his guild. This would be known as a Test-Based Prerequisite.

Test-Based Prerequisites serve as a way for an individual or an organization to measure the worth of a potential apprentice or recruit. Odds are that a character will be given some form of test before he is allowed to begin his training in a new Prestige Class, or even another Class.

Test-Based Prerequisites override the normal prerequisites of a PrC, so even if you meet the requirements you may not be allowed to train in the class (see Classes, Prestige Classes & Multiclassing above) until you "pass the test" as they say.

Some other example of a Test-Based Prerequisite could be:

a) An organization of arcane archers has recently finished the training of one of it's members, and there is now an opening for a new recruit. They announce that an archery competition will be held within a week. The winner of the competition will be allowed entry into their organization and given training.

b) A character might desire to learn the ways of a rogue, so he approaches a local thieves guild asking for some training. One of the guild's officers decides to give him a try. The guilds man walks the character to the city's most crowded plaza, buys himself some food at a vendor's cart, and sits down on a bench besides the plaza's central plaza. The officer then informs the character that he needs to pickpocket someone's money pouch, without getting caught, and bring it back to him by the time he finishes his meal.

Gaining a familiar, animal companion, mount, etc.:

These creatures never just appear out of thin air (regardless of what the published rules say). Unless I make an exception beforehand (somewhat unlikely!) your character must role-play the process of obtaining their chosen creature in game, even if it is as simple as going to the town's stables and buying a horse. If it is a very specific creature which is difficult to find, or is usually only found on another plane please tell me about it beforehand and I will try to work it into the game's plot.

newbDM
2009-01-29, 08:55 PM
Other Changes

Feat Changes:

All Feats
• Feats which I feel defeat and/or bypass the purpose of roleplaying are not allowed. The feat Master Manipulator (Player's Handbook II p.80) is a prime example of these types of feats.

Specific Feats Changes

Leadership

• Followers:
I run in a very logic and roleplaying based way, so I feel if a character (PC or NPC) is able to attract people to follow her/him then it doesn't matter what a simple feat restriction says.

This means that characters can attract followers without the Leadership feat, and that having the Leadership feat doesn't just make followers appear out of midair.

However, this also means that characters might need to care for their follower(s) needs, and perhaps even provide them shelter, meals, wages etc.

All followers are NPCs, and therefore are under the DM's control at all times.

• Cohorts:
For game balance "follower" a character attract which can affect the party balance would fall into the category of a cohort, be it a well trained soldier one recruits or a displacer beast one tames. For this reason, for the cohort to play participate in battle the controlling character must have the Leadership feat.

Again, just because you take a "feat" out-of-character doesn't mean a powerful cohort simply appears out of nowhere in-character for your PC. If you plan on taking the Leadership feat, and your character has not yet attracted a potential cohort NPC, then please talk to me about what your characters plans/goals are, and what you would like for the character to try and attract as a cohort. Then you must roleplay gaining the cohort in-game.

Cohorts are like any other NPC, and therefore are under the DM's control at all times.

Skill Changes:

Skill Synergies

• Skills which grant a synergy bonus to another skill give a +2 bonus for every five skill ranks a player has in said skill, instead of only +2 for the first five skill ranks.

Therefore, a player would get a +2 synergy bonus at 5 ranks, 10 ranks, 15 ranks, 20 ranks, 25 ranks, etc.

Changes to Specific Skills

Psicraft

Psionics is a relatively new force in the multiverse, or at last among the mortal races, for it has only recently begun spreading beyond the gem dragons at the beckoning of their recently ascended deity. Because of this it is extremely unlikely for anyone besides a manifester to know this skill.

Non-psionic classes with psicraft listed as a class skill do not have it in my multiverse, and no character can take cross-class ranks in it.

However, I encourage roleplaying, so for example a character who has had significant exposure to psionics, and chooses to pursue and research it might be able to eventually take cross-class ranks in it.

Spellcraft

Magic is far to rare, and it's secrets too closely guarded for anyone besides a caster to know anything about it besides the lore and legends told my the common folk.

Non-caster classes with spellcraft listed as a class skill do not have it in my multiverse, and no character can take cross-class ranks in it.

However, I encourage roleplaying, so for example a character who has had significant exposure to magic, and chooses to pursue and research it might be able to eventually take cross-class ranks in it.

Use Magic Device

Non-caster classes with Use Magic Device listed as a class skill do not have it in my multiverse, and no character can take cross-class ranks in it.

However, I encourage roleplaying, so for example a character who has had significant exposure to magic, and chooses to pursue and research it might be able to eventually take cross-class ranks in it.

Use Psionic Device

Non-psionic classes with Use Psionic Device listed as a class skill do not have it in my multiverse, and no character can take cross-class ranks in it.

However, I encourage roleplaying, so for example a character who has had significant exposure to psionics, and chooses to pursue and research it might be able to eventually take cross-class ranks in it.

New Skills

Use Technological Device

The Use Technological Device skill (along with the associated Tinker class) from the World of Warcraft - The Roleplaying Game (http://www.warcraftrpg.com/) splatbook is available in this multiverse.

If you do not have a copy of the World of Warcraft RPG please ask to see my copy if you're interested in this skill.

Combat Mechanics:

-HOUSE RULE: OUT-OF-TURN DODGE
Any time you are about to be attacked, you can give up your next
turn to gain a +4 dodge bonus to your AC. You must be able
to apply your Dexterity bonus to AC against the attack (so you
can’t use it when fl at-footed, for instance), and you declare this
before the attack roll is made. Your initiative does not change;
you simply do not take an action on your next turn. You gain this
dodge bonus until the next time your initiative comes up after
your “skipped” turn.
This rule gives a character the option of defending himself,
pro viding an additional element to combat tactics. It also
pro vides adventurers with addition tactical options, such as
a “wolf pack” tactic: When a group attacks a single target, whoever
the target retaliates against uses the out-of-turn dodge to
aid his AC, while each of the others attacks the opponent on
his or her turn.
—Andrew Finch
Unearthed Arcana Pg.118

-VARIANT: DEFENSE ROLL
Instead of adding a static +10 to your AC modifiers (look at your character sheets) you instead roll an unmodified d20 roll to your AC modifiers.

You roll this d20 only once a round when necessary. You use the same AC for all attacks made against you that round.

For example: Mialee has a Dex modifier to AC of +3, no Armor, a Necklace of Natural Armor +1, and a pair of Natural Armor +2. This gives her a total AC modifier of 6 (3+1+2=6). She is attacked by an Orc fighter on the 2nd round of combat. The Orc gets a total of 14 to hit Mialee. She rolls a d20 (getting a roll of 12) for her base AC and adds to it her +6 modifier. Her AC is now an 18 for this round of combat. Any other Orcs or other creatures attempting attack her this round must now roll against her AC of 18.
—DMG Pg.25

Note: There are no bonuses or penalties for rolling either a natural 1 or a natural 20 for a Defense Roll.

-VARIANT: ROLL INITIATIVE EACH ROUND
In my games initiative is rolled by each player, monster, and NPC each round. This avoids metagaming due o being able to predict each individual's position in the combat order, and I personally feel that it makes battles more fun and exciting by making it more unpredictable and making each round's events unexpected.

This also allows for characters and classes who are based around being agile, sneaky, etc to better take advantage of what they were made or designed for. For example, a player playing a rogue is much more likely to regularly end up higher in his initiative each round than a player who plays a bulky heavily armored and equipped fighter. I feel that this adds some realism to this difference between classes, and helps balance their survival a bit more, for a heavily armored fighter is able to survive regularly being last in a combat, but a rogue's place in initiative is much more important to her.

In addition, a character, monster, or NPC who rolls a natural 20 on his initiative check gains a Surprise Round for that round in which he can make a single Standard Action before regular combat begins. He may not switch this Standard Action for a Move Action, but he may perform free actions as normal. Afterward he renews his normal order in the initiative for that round.

However, a player, monster, or NPC who rolls a natural 1 on their initiative check are treated as flat-footed for that round.

Note: If a player, monster, or NPC has a class feature or racial feature which prevents them from ever being caught flat-footed they are not affected by rolling a natural 1 in initiative.

Economic Mechanics:

BARTERING
Bartering, the oldest form of exchange, occurs when
individuals trade goods for other goods without coins changing
hands. Among humans, bartering is most common in settlements of
only a few hundred (or less) inhabitants.
Elven, halfling and gnome communities also barter goods as
a primary method of exchange. The goods may be of equivalent
worth, where the gold piece value of the exchanging goods are
identical, or they may be of favorable worth. In favorable bartering,
the characters exchange goods that are not necessarily of equal gold
piece values. A starving fighter may trade his prized sword for a
bowl of stew, or a rogue may trade a set of masterwork artisan’s tools
(55 gp) for a set of ordinary thieves’ tools (30 gp).

Favorable bartering must always be role-played out, because the
perceived value of each item depends upon the item, character and
situation. In standard bartering, however, players may choose to
either role-play or use dice to set the price. Using dice to settle
bartering takes a maximum of three rounds, as detailed below.

Note: Although the following is mostly determined by mechanics,
before each roll both characters and NPCs need to role-play
the dialect related to the following roll in character. This might even
result in favorable, or unfavorable, modifiers to their rolls.

In each round, both characters roll 1d20, adding his or her
Charisma bonus to the result. Characters with the Bazaar Veteran
feat (see the KINGDOMS OF KALAMAR Player’s Guide) add +2 to this
roll. The winner of the roll forces the opponent to raise or lower the
price of the opponent’s barter item by 10%. Either character can
choose to stop here, or continue for a second or third round. Once
either character chooses to halt, the favorable bartering is ended and
the deal is set. Note that attempting to intimidate a prominent
merchant usually ends in the merchant calling for help and the
character being hauled away by the city guards.

For example, let us say that Mark’s character, a human fighter
named Kelghaz Hazar (Charisma 12, bonus of +1), chooses to enter
into bartering with a dwarf weaponsmith (Charisma 14, bonus of
+2) for a masterwork longsword (cost 315 gp). In the first round,
Kelghaz has a total roll of 16 (15+1), while the weaponsmith has a
total roll of 12 (10+2). Kelghaz wins, forcing the weaponsmith to
drop the value of the sword to 284 gp (315 – 10% = 283.5 before
rounding up).

Both characters choose to continue bartering, so they roll again.
Kelghaz has a total roll of 13 (12+1) while the weaponsmith has a
total roll of 15 (13+2). The weaponsmith wins, changing his mind
about how much his sword is worth, and raising its price back to the
original 315 gp.

Both characters choose to continue bartering for a final round,
and roll. Kelghaz has a total roll of 4 (3+1), and the weaponsmith
has a total of 10 (8+2). The weaponsmith wins, using his persuasive
salesmanship to convince Kelghaz that this sword is worth even
more. Kelghaz trades the weaponsmith an amount of goods equal
at least to 347 gp (315 + 10% = 346.5 before rounding up), and
walks away with the sword, scratching his head. If the characters
agree to a price and the Player Character (PC) refuses to pay, the
Non-Player Character (NPC) will act according to his nature. If
using the D&D rules, the DM may use a Diplomacy check to determine
the NPC’s reaction. Since the PC in this case begins from a
negative starting point, impose a –2 to –4 circumstance penalty to
the PC’s check.

DEGREES OF CRAFTSMANSHIP

Most crafted items are of what is known as “normal” or
“standard” quality. However, a character may also purchase items of
greater or lesser quality.

Masterwork:
The highest quality is known as “masterwork” quality. These items convey bonuses to their use through their exceptional craftsmanship, rather than through magical means. D&D players may consult the Craft skill in the D&D Player’s Handbook for more information.

Masterwork items are almost works of art in their own right. Masterwork weapons bestow a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls, masterwork suits of armor typically reduce armor check penalties by 1 and masterwork tools or other items give a +2 circumstance bonus to all related skill checks when using them. The bonuses given by multiple masterwork tools or other items do not stack.

Sovereign:
The next highest quality above standard is known as “sovereign”. Items of sovereign quality are prized for their combined strength and flexibility, but they are not the works of art that masterwork quality items are.

Creating a sovereign item works just like creating a masterwork item, but with a different price (+150 gp for a weapon, +75 gp for armor and +25 gp for a tool or other item) and DC. The DC depends upon the difficulty of the item created, as seen on Table 1-2: Craftmanship DCs. Sovereign weapons have a +1 bonus to damage rolls, sovereign armor is easier to put on and take off (reduce time required by two rounds) and sovereign tools or other items give a +1 circumstance bonus to all related skill checks when using them. The bonuses given by multiple sovereign tools or other items do not stack.

Standard:
These are the common everyday items. These are the items usually listed in in equipment lists, such as those listed in the PHB.

As with masterwork items, D&D players may consult the Craft skill in the D&D Player’s Handbook for more information. When attempting to create a
standard quality item, there are several Craft checks that must be made.
If these checks are failed, the crafter makes no progress and
may even ruin the raw materials. Rather than attempt to create a
good item and fail, unscrupulous crafters sometimes choose to
create an “inferior” quality item instead.

Inferior:
Creating an inferior item works just like creating a standard item, but with a different price (one-fourth of the listed price for a weapon, suit of armor, tool or other item) and DC. The DC depends upon the difficulty of the item created, as seen on Table 1-2: Craftmanship DCs.

A finished inferior item is worth half as much as the standard version, though they are often falsely sold at full price. When creating such an item, the character should use the half price to determine raw material cost and time spent.

Naturally, there is a danger in buying inferior goods. Inferior weapons have a –2 penalty to attack rolls, inferior suits of armor receive a -2 penalty to AC and inferior tools or other items give a –2 penalty to all rolls made when using them. The flaws in these goods can be detected with a successful Appraise check, revealing their inferior nature. (The DM may allow characters experienced in the use of a particular weapon or type of armor to add their experience level to the Appraise check. For example, a fighter who is a master swordsman is harder to fool with an inferior longsword, even if he has no ranks in Appraise and an average or even low Intelligence.)

There is a 2% chance (cumulative) that these inferior goods will fall apart each time they are used.

Shoddy:
Below inferior goods are “shoddy” goods. These are the worst of them all.

Creating a shoddy item works just like creating a standard item, but with a different price (one-fifth of the listed price for a weapon, suit of armor, tool or other item) and DC. The DC depends upon the difficulty of the item created, as seen on Table 1-2: Craftmanship DCs.

A finished shoddy item is worth a quarter as much as the standard version though, like inferior goods, they are often sold at full price. When creating such an item, the character should use the quarter price to determine raw material cost and time spent.

There is an even greater danger in buying shoddy goods. Shoddy weapons have a –3 penalty to attack rolls, shoddy suits of armor receive a -3 penalty to AC and shoddy tools or other items give a –4 penalty to all rolls made when using them. The flaws in these goods can be detected with a successful Appraise check. There is a 10% chance (cumulative) that shoddy goods will break or fall apart each time they are used.

{table=head]Item|Craft|Shoddy DC|Inferior DC|Normal DC|Sovereign DC|Masterwork DC
Armor and shields|Armorsmith|3+AC bonus|7+AC bonus|10+AC bonus|15+AC bonus|20+AC bonus
Longbows and shortbows |Bowmaking|4|8|12|16|20
Composite bows|Bowmaking|9|12|15|18|20
Mighty bows|Bowmaking|9+2/Str bonus|12+2/Str bonus|15+2/Str bonus|18+2/Str bonus|20+2/Str bonus
Crossbows|Weaponsmithing|9|12|15|18|20
Simple weapons|Weaponsmithing|4|8|12|16|20
Martial weapons|Weaponsmithing|8|12|15|18|20
Exotic weapons|Weaponsmithing|9|13|18|19|20
Very simple items (ex. wooden spoon)|Varies|2|4|5|12|20
Typical items (iron pot)|Varies|3|5|10|15|20
High-quality items (bell)|Varies|8|12|15|18|20
Complex or superior items (lock)|Varies|10|15|20|20|20
[/table]

Taking 10/Taking 20:

Taking 10 or Taking 20 is not allowed.

newbDM
2009-01-29, 08:59 PM
• Finally, the rules and mechanics of D&D are not set in stone. The DMG even states that its rules should be changed in favor of fun. If you have any ideas, if you want to do something a bit differently, or if there is just something fun you want to try please let me know! I can work with you.

As I improve as a DM I hope to run more role-playing oriented games. Therefore, as time goes on I will start to let things such as balance slide a bit in favor of role-playing. If you are looking for a simple hack -and-slash type of session I might not be the best DM for you. I am the kind of person who prefers laughs and fun at my table instead of mechanics and rules-layering.

Other less important differences:

• All dwarf females have beards.

• All Halflings wear shoes, and do not have big furry feet.

• Sentient constructs such as warforged, and outsiders such as demons, devils and celestials all have souls and afterlives. Outsiders are not simply reabsorbed into their plane.

• Petitioners retain their memories in their afterlives.

• Humans are not the dominant race in this world. They die too fast, are too divided, fight too many wars, and are way to rash and headstrong to be the dominant and increasingly powerful race they are portrayed to be in most settings and media. In fact, their numbers are significantly smaller than that of the older races, and humanity is currently dying out.

• Fey never truly die. When they are killed they are merely banished to the Plane of Faerie for 100 years. Afterwards they are free to leave to other planes. Occasionally a member of the Seelie Court might decided to intervene, and have it's petitioner serve it's banishment on the Seelie Court's planer realm instead. The Unseelie Court might decide to do the same, or they might have other, more sinister, plans for their evil petitioners.

• When spells such as Reincarnation and Resurrection are used on fey they will always return as fey. They will either return as another fey, or simply return as a fey of the same type they were previously (even with Reincarnation). Such spells lift the Fey's 100 year banishment and return them from the Plane of Faerie. As with non-fey, Fey may decide whether or not to return (see spell descriptions).

• All familiars can speak.

newbDM
2009-01-29, 09:01 PM
(Reserved)..

newbDM
2009-01-29, 09:02 PM
(Reserved)...

newbDM
2009-01-29, 09:06 PM
Oh, and I am also making this thread in the hope that the experienced DMs here can give me their opinions on all this while the thread is still within the first few pages of this forum.

I am still formatting all my current houserules, since it was originally in a simple Text format, but I should be done by tonight.

I will also be adding a few new rules on feats, skills, and psionics. They will also be up by tonight.

newbDM
2009-01-31, 10:34 AM
OK, formatting and update done.

For the time being these are my compete houserules.

hiryuu
2009-01-31, 11:08 AM
8. Roll 3d6. Add the appropriate modifier from the sample table below to this roll and place it in your Comeliness stat. Not all creatures and other factors (such as templates) are included in this table, so ask the DM to look for your specific modifier in chapter two of his book.

*SMACK*

I find long hair to be unattractive, and I certainly find tieflings to be more visually interesting than aasimar. Elves are a bit too thin for my liking, and what the heck is with giant owls? They're parasite-ridden sky vermin! What does this mean? It means that this stat is completely subjective.

As far as Mr. Snuggle-Buns goes, people will speak out of character without him. They will have to. Technically, describing a character action is out of character. Sometimes someone will make a gag reference their character wouldn't know about ("His name is Trumpy, and he can do magic things!"). Sometimes you'll be in breakaway and the other players may not want to watch the exchange. Not saying OOCspeak should be encouraged, but it's totally not the problem so many GMs take it for.

For most of the rest, I feel leery, but if you're a new GM, it's good to limit magic until you figure it out or you realize your players aren't going to be a pile of douches.

Also, what happens if your players create a chain of events that leads to humans getting back on top again?

newbDM
2009-01-31, 12:07 PM
*SMACK*

I find long hair to be unattractive, and I certainly find tieflings to be more visually interesting than aasimar. Elves are a bit too thin for my liking, and what the heck is with giant owls? They're parasite-ridden sky vermin! What does this mean? It means that this stat is completely subjective.

I wish I could better answer this, but I got the above table from the Book of Erotic Fantasy, so they decided what order to place them.

I believe they did this from the prospective of the "civilized" races of D&D, though.

And I agree that this would be subjective, but then isn't that when good improve DMing is needed? For example, an orc player would seem a lot more attract if it were in my orc mega-tribe city than say his/her scrawny "pointy" (what they call elves in my world) companion. Although it might not be due physical beauty, but rather physical fitness/brute strength/mating potential?

The main reason I added Comeliness as a 7th stat is to avoid the whole "Charisma does not equal physical beauty!" argument. Basically for my multiverse Charisma is a person's force of personality, while Comeliness is their physical beauty. Depending on the particular situation, PCs and NPCs will use one or the other for their checks. So a PC/NPC might use his/her Cha in a diplomacy check to get out of a potential fight, while he/she would instead use it's Com score in a diplomacy check to "get lucky" at a tavern.

As far as Mr. Snuggle-Buns goes, people will speak out of character without him. They will have to. Technically, describing a character action is out of character. Sometimes someone will make a gag reference their character wouldn't know about ("His name is Trumpy, and he can do magic things!"). Sometimes you'll be in breakaway and the other players may not want to watch the exchange. Not saying OOCspeak should be encouraged, but it's totally not the problem so many GMs take it for.

I am still in need of testing this house rule out. It's still on a trail bases, since I never truly got to use it. I will see if it helps, or causes more problems.

For most of the rest, I feel leery, but if you're a new GM, it's good to limit magic until you figure it out or you realize your players aren't going to be a pile of douches.

I am a new DM (hence the username :smallsmile:), so I agree on that part.

However, I do enjoy low-magic games, and I prefer the feel I am trying to create in my multiverse where magic is special and significant, rather that something you can get at every street corner for a few measly gps.

I understand this style of game isn't for everyone, and I will be making that very clear for any potential new groups/players I may get.

Also, what happens if your players create a chain of events that leads to humans getting back on top again?

I would completely let it fly.

I try to run a sandbox style world/cosmology. By this I mean that I do not run an a-z adventure plot line, where I lead the players by the nose, and what little bit of a world exists is completely centered around the PCs' actions and plot advancement. Instead I spend quite a bit of time fleshing out (and even mapping) a large world, and reading up on it's cosmology, so that the players are free to go in any directions they please. Because of this I'd so let something like you mentioned fly, that is if the players/PCs can figure out a way of pulling it off.

However, it might be a bit more difficult due to humans being on the verge of extinction. But then, that is one of the good parts of a sandbox style world, since it's the PCs/players jobs to figure out how to get them back on top, not mine. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and thank you for the reply. I appreciate the input!

hiryuu
2009-01-31, 12:39 PM
You can make magic special without limiting PC access. After all, these are the PCs. They are supposed to be the big, amazing dudes the world looks on with awe, that's what D&D is all about (even having a level in a PC class period should make you special; I'm used to games where if you have a prestige class, you're probably the only guy ever to have it and people are typically speechless or try to get your name if they see anything better than a 1st level spell out of you), since that's what epic fantasy is all about in general.

As far as comeliness goes, I'm not saying don't use it. If you want to, go ahead. I'm just saying that it's basically dictating what the PCs are attracted to or think looks cool or pretty, which is so subjective it's ridiculous. It also shoehorns character description. If someone want to play a woman who looks like ten miles of bad road, an average-looking scrawny guy with a creepy neck, or a dude who looks like a bronze god, they shouldn't have to hope to roll poorly, average, or well. It's like having a random chart for hair color or ethnicity. Some people might enjoy that, but for me, I sit down and write up a backstory, appearance, mannerisms, and all that first, usually before even picking a class and race, and I feel that having a randomly determined stat for what my character looks like feels like badly enforced roleplaying.

Ashtagon
2009-01-31, 12:51 PM
I find it ever-so slightly disturbing that whoever made the comeliness tables decided that giant owls are sexier than the average human.

newbDM
2009-01-31, 01:18 PM
You can make magic special without limiting PC access. After all, these are the PCs. They are supposed to be the big, amazing dudes the world looks on with awe, that's what D&D is all about (even having a level in a PC class period should make you special; I'm used to games where if you have a prestige class, you're probably the only guy ever to have it and people are typically speechless or try to get your name if they see anything better than a 1st level spell out of you), since that's what epic fantasy is all about in general.

I have hear people tell me that, but I feel it just doesn't make sense.

I just wish to run something a bit different, in a more classic fantasy style. Where magic is the stuff of legends, and a single dragon would scare the daylights out of an entire kingdom(s). Not how mundane they have boiled down to with every new edition D&D. This is one of my biggest turn-offs to 4.0 (WotC bragging about how "You can fight, and beat a dragon at level 1!"? WTF?). The way I see it, 99.9783% of DMs run the "standard" style of game (I have only had one DM who runs semi-low-magic), so there are enough places for people who need high-levels of magic in their RPGs to go.

As far as comeliness goes, I'm not saying don't use it. If you want to, go ahead. I'm just saying that it's basically dictating what the PCs are attracted to or think looks cool or pretty, which is so subjective it's ridiculous. It also shoehorns character description. If someone want to play a woman who looks like ten miles of bad road, an average-looking scrawny guy with a creepy neck, or a dude who looks like a bronze god, they shouldn't have to hope to roll poorly, average, or well. It's like having a random chart for hair color or ethnicity. Some people might enjoy that, but for me, I sit down and write up a backstory, appearance, mannerisms, and all that first, usually before even picking a class and race, and I feel that having a randomly determined stat for what my character looks like feels like badly enforced roleplaying.

Well, isn't that already what Charisma does?

Every DM I have come across uses Charisma as a measure of physical attractiveness and force of personality (hence the age-old debate/conflict over it). I just decided to divide it into one stat for personality, and a different one for looks.

I find it ever-so slightly disturbing that whoever made the comeliness tables decided that giant owls are sexier than the average human.

LoL.

Well, perhaps it's more on the lines that they are usually considered to be "graceful", "beautiful", and "wise" creatures? Not so much "sexy"?

JerryMcJerrison
2009-01-31, 01:35 PM
Hahaha, I love the OOC idea. I am totally stealing that. I will call him Yosep, the OOC monkey.

Ashtagon
2009-01-31, 01:39 PM
Well, perhaps it's more on the lines that they are usually considered to be "graceful", "beautiful", and "wise" creatures? Not so much "sexy"?

Comeliness is specifically all about physical appearance in every game definition I've seen. Grace and wisdom can be considered aspects of Charisma (although I'd personally consider wisdom to be an aspect of Wisdom). Which leaves beauty. Now, if you think giant owls are inherently more beautiful than humans, frankly, I don't think this is an appropriate forum for that topic.

JerryMcJerrison
2009-01-31, 01:43 PM
Comeliness is specifically all about physical appearance in every game definition I've seen. Grace and wisdom can be considered aspects of Charisma (although I'd personally consider wisdom to be an aspect of Wisdom). Which leaves beauty. Now, if you think giant owls are inherently more beautiful than humans, frankly, I don't think this is an appropriate forum for that topic.

So just call it Appearance. That's a generic enough word that there's no nits to pick, I think.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-31, 03:30 PM
To answer the question you asked on your WotC thread: yes, I think it would be helpful if you categorized all your HRs based on a player's need-to-know basis. For example have one category labeled EVERYONE MUST READ THIS, another category labeled DIVINE CASTERS MUST READ THIS, etc.

Every DM I have come across uses Charisma as a measure of physical attractiveness and force of personality (hence the age-old debate/conflict over it). I just decided to divide it into one stat for personality, and a different one for looks.
This is a pet peeve of mine. When describing my character, I don't like being constrained by a random score. For example I once played a sorcerer whose entire body was a mass of burn scars as a result of a childhood trauma--in fact the trauma was the source of his magical power. Maybe in your game appearance actually has mechanical effects, but generally I think that purely fluffy PC traits like appearance are best left up to the player's discretion. So when I DM, Charisma is purely social skills and force of personality.

TS

Triaxx
2009-01-31, 06:21 PM
My jaw hangs open. It is horrifying to comprehend all those house rules. I hope that your players aren't new to the game, or they'll be in shock when they revert to normal D&D.

Baron Corm
2009-01-31, 06:58 PM
There is the problem of Charisma being the most useless stat, and splitting it into "completely useless except for bards and sorcerers" and "completely useless except for diplomacy and bluff" really doesn't help.

I think you should forget that whole thing. The ability scores are not well defined anyway. Charisma is not the only one. Take Intelligence and Wisdom for example. And what the hell IS Dexterity anyway? I'm not so sure it's really a "physical" stat. Or Constitution? There are really people out there with natural resistances to poison and sword strikes? Really? They are game stats, that's what they are.

newbDM
2009-02-11, 03:35 AM
Hahaha, I love the OOC idea. I am totally stealing that. I will call him Yosep, the OOC monkey.

I am glad you like it. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I myself stole it from a member on the General board (forgot which...), so I can't claim originality on it.

Very good points. I guess it is kind of strange.

Then again, this is D&D. We already have Centaurs and Half-Dragons. Perhaps this is where the repturians and/or averials came from? Elves are kinda close to the giant eagles. :smalleek:

So just call it Appearance. That's a generic enough word that there's no nits to pick, I think.

Perhaps that is not a bad idea. Plus it is pretty descriptive, although I believe it's a bit to simple/obvious for some reason.

To answer the question you asked on your WotC thread: yes, I think it would be helpful if you categorized all your HRs based on a player's need-to-know basis. For example have one category labeled EVERYONE MUST READ THIS, another category labeled DIVINE CASTERS MUST READ THIS, etc.

Understood. Will work on it right now.

This is a pet peeve of mine. When describing my character, I don't like being constrained by a random score. For example I once played a sorcerer whose entire body was a mass of burn scars as a result of a childhood trauma--in fact the trauma was the source of his magical power. Maybe in your game appearance actually has mechanical effects, but generally I think that purely fluffy PC traits like appearance are best left up to the player's discretion. So when I DM, Charisma is purely social skills and force of personality.
TS

True, but all the DMs I have played with have used Cha as a sign of physical attractiveness as well, and all the players I know go by that method, so I believe it is common to the point of it being expected by players.

Plus, I prefer there to be some mechanics involved instead of players simply saying "Well, he is a Greek god". Plus, it gives players a reason to think about their Cha (and in my case Com) stats, instead of forgetting it as their "dump" stat. I always find it odd that the most socially inept people in D&D are the "legendary heroes".

My jaw hangs open. It is horrifying to comprehend all those house rules. I hope that your players aren't new to the game, or they'll be in shock when they revert to normal D&D.

Good point.

Again, I will try to organize them, or at the very least have a message at the top saying "You need to Read X, Y, and D to get the info on your character, his race, and his class. The rest you can choose to read at your leisure.".

Another_Poet
2009-02-11, 10:31 AM
True, but all the DMs I have played with have used Cha as a sign of physical attractiveness as well, and all the players I know go by that method, so I believe it is common to the point of it being expected by players.

Plus, I prefer there to be some mechanics involved instead of players simply saying "Well, he is a Greek god".

May I suggest an alternate solution?

(Well, I'm going to anyway. :smallsmile: )

Instead of splitting it into two stats, simply rename Charisma as Personality. Or Eloquence, if you prefer. Then there is absolutely no debate about whether it is physical beauty or not - it isn't, discussion over. Yet people don't have to hope for twice as many good rolls to play a social bard (needing a high Cha for spells AND a high comeliness for skills is really crippling to the bard who already needs several good ability scores to do well).

Also, if you think that Comeliness would be the primary stat for picking up people at bars, you should go sit at a bar and just people-watch for an evening. The beautiful person who sits in the corner and doesn't talk to anyone? Going home alone. The guy with the creepy eyebrows who tells great jokes and speaks with a lot of confidence? Getting lucky, almost guaranteed.

In other words, even though you're right that Charisma is not only about good looks, you're swinging the pendulum too far in the opposite direction. Don't create a nigh-useless good looks stat that will confine your players' roleplaying choices. Just rename Charisma and call it good.

If you're unwilling to do that - which would be foolish - then here is one other option. And I have to stress that it is an INFERIOR option. Don't jump on it just because it lets you keep Comeliness; Comeliness is a bad idea. But if you decide you absolutely have to keep it, then here is a way to make it (somewhat) less annoying to players. If a player wants their character to have "slightly above average" looks (Comeliness 12) or worse, they may have it automatically. If a player wants really good looks (Comeliness 13+) they must roll on the Comeliness chart. If they do not like their result they may make a single re-roll, and they must accept that result. Once they have rolled it is too late to go back to the default score of 12.

Plus, it gives players a reason to think about their Cha (and in my case Com) stats, instead of forgetting it as their "dump" stat. I always find it odd that the most socially inept people in D&D are the "legendary heroes".

To the contrary, the heroes of ancient legend are among the most socially inept people imaginable (especially by the standards of their own time and culture). This is so pronounced that academics have come to see it as one of the key traits every mythical hero must have. They must be a social reject of some kind. Their outcast status is typically both familial (unknown parents or unknown father, product of adultery, descended from supernatural beings, etc) and tied to their own behaviour (which includes Bad Behaviour ranging from insulting gods, defiling sacred customs and institutions, not listening to elders, not listening to divine messengers, not listening to kings/authorities, rape, murder, theft, adultery, general insulting attitude, kidnapping, killing hostages, killing innocent bystanders, deceitfulness and trickery, and so forth).

There's an obvious dramatic reason for this - it's more interesting and it gives them more enemies to fight. And there's also a moralistic reason: the hero is someone so alien to the normal way of life, so unlike a regular citizen/tribe member, that they are dangerous as well as helpful; normal people shouldn't try to act like heroes.

But in addition to those storytelling reasons, there's also a practical reason. People who have a normal upbringing and act politely don't get into adventures, so normal people don't become heroes. Socially inept people, however, don't usually have the option of just "blending in" - so most of them gfet ridiculed and a few of them fight tooth and nail to rise above the rest.

Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope this helps. If you want a 7th stat consider Luck or Divine Favour. That'll make it interesting.

ap

newbDM
2009-02-11, 12:43 PM
Wow. Finally finished reediting that thing. And until now I believed website designer was not a real job. :smalleek:

I have edited it for ease of reading, and I added an explanation of what what is essential to read and what isn't in the OP.

Did it work? Is it more manageable/actually usable now?

I have also added a new subsection titled Favored Class Changes, since last night I realized that my changes to magic left quite a few races in trouble concerning that aspect. Please let me know your thoughts on that part.

And yeah Another_Poet, perhaps I'll take it out. However, I want to at least give it a test run in a single campaign to see how the mechanics work (I did pay $35 bucks for that book...). If it is completely disliked like some members here feel it will be, I'll probably edit it out afterward. If it works out well, then perhaps I'll leave it.

Riffington
2009-02-11, 01:58 PM
Appearance (comeliness, attractiveness, beauty) is a very important part of any character. It influences how the players see the characters as well as how NPCs behave around them. Creating mechanics for appearance is a very reasonable thing to do. However, I do not believe it quite rises to the status of a 7th attribute. I especially don't want players to have to roll it.

Instead, I'd make Appearance a player choice, with exceptional appearances being a feat or flaw.

Those who take the effort to define their appearance (positively or negatively) could get a +1 or +2 on a skill such as Diplomacy, Intimidate, Gather Information, etc in many situations.
Those who want an exceptionally attractive character could take a feat, which might grant +2 to Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff, and Perform... but only as related to certain races. Great appearance would occasionally prove a liability, of course.
Those that permit flaws might give an exceptionally ugly character a -2 on all Cha skills except Handle Animal and UMD. This penalty would also apply to most Profession rolls.

Another_Poet: it is true that heroes break social norms; this does not make them socially inept. Princes and princesses seem to keep falling in love with them, after all.

It is also true that appearance does not allow one to meet people without making any effort to talk to them. However, it makes a big difference in how people see you. It makes a big difference in how easily you make friends, how desirable a mate (short or long term) you are, and even how much money you'll earn.

Another_Poet
2009-02-11, 03:15 PM
Another_Poet: it is true that heroes break social norms; this does not make them socially inept. Princes and princesses seem to keep falling in love with them, after all.

Correction: princes and princesses seem to have parents that keep marrying them off to heroes for personal gain. :)

My point is not that all real-world mythological heroes are socially inept, but many could be said (at the very least) to have Cha as their dump stat and get their way almost exclusively through a combination of fighting and just taking what they want. Not every hero fits this description but enough do that, contrary to what NewbDM said, it's not hard to believe that the great heroes who save the world would happen to be socially inept.

Also if they're really socially inept then they fit a much more modern heroic archetype, the cynical antihero, which many players love acting out. And as long as they can get along with the rest of the team (which is unrelated to having a Comeliness trait) there's no reason to crimp their style.

But coming back to the issue of Comeliness, I do like your (Riffington's) take on it. Have them be comeliness-neutral and either spend a feat to get extra comeliness or opt to be very un-comely (homely) as a character flaw.

And NewbDM, I'm sure there's plenty of other good stuff in your book even if you end up leaving out or altering Comeliness.

ap

newbDM
2009-02-22, 11:54 PM
Thank you for the input guys about Comeliness.

I am just going to give it a test drive in a campaign to see how it goes.

p.s. As a friend of mine pointed out, there is one more factor to consider on this subject. I run role-playing heavy, so looks and beauty have a lot more meaning. If I simply allow players to decide that their characters are Greek gods, then they are basically giving themselves a large advantage for free.

The feat idea seems interesting, but I see two issues with it:

Writing up a number of feats/flaws, and an entire system for it seems like too much work. By simply making it another score I just work it into an already made mechanic/part of the system, which I feel flows well and simply for what I need it.

Again I run roleplay heavy, so I need it to be more specific than a feat that says you are more (or less) attractive than the average person.

p.s.2. Do you believe the new format and mini-tutorial makes my houserules easier to manage and use?

p.s.3 Oh, and I added the Taking 10/Taking 20 subsection. I plan on finish the Favored class changes to the core and MM races soon.

Daracaex
2009-02-23, 01:40 AM
Make it a give-and-take. You can have good looks, which increases "interaction" rolls for the party, but are noticed more in a crowd and such. Ugly characters, on the other hand, detract from the party's interaction rolls, but people are less likely to be watching them. Maybe get an increase on intimidate rolls. Make it small mechanical effects, so the outcome isn't affected too much. Now, the rogue can either be the charismatic face or the quiet pickpocket. Or the fighter can be the scary-looking brute or the great leader.

Starscream
2009-02-23, 03:00 AM
I only played a campaign with a stat for Appearance once, but here's how the DM handled it.

The players rolled 3d6 (not 4d6-lowest as with other stats) and added their charisma modifier to the result. That way there was a correlation between looks and personality, but it was still possible to be ugly but charismatic, as well as beautiful but dull. People tend to find attractive people more persuasive, and charming people more attractive, but it's not a direct matter of cause and effect.

Races with a reputation for beauty (elves, assimar) got a +2. Those generally considered ugly (half orcs, goblins) got a -2. This bonus did not apply when dealing with members of your own race, because they were used to it. For instance, an elf is less likely to go gaga over a lovely elf maiden than a human is, because attractiveness is so common among that race. So an elf reacting to an especially beautiful elf will have basically the same response as a human reacting to an especially beautiful human.

As for the actual effects of Appearance, you added your appearance bonus plus half your charisma bonus (or your charisma bonus + half your appearance bonus if that gives a higher result) to all diplomacy, bluff, gather information, and perform skill checks. You also added your appearance bonus to the save DC of charm effects.

You double your effective appearance modifier when dealing with a member of the opposite sex. Presumably this is reversed when dealing with homosexual characters, but it never came up.

Your appearance bonus was only a factor when dealing with races of your own creature type, with a couple of exceptions. For the most part subtype was ignored; there's no reason a human wouldn't find a gnome, a dwarf, or even the occasional orc attractive. But a human probably can't even tell what constitutes beauty by kobold or lizard man standards, so there is no effect. A kobold actor performing for humans would have to get by on talent alone.

Likewise, a member of a different creature type could affect you if their race resembles your own. Nymphs are fey, and angels are outsiders, but they look like humanoids and so could affect them with their appearance.

hiryuu
2009-02-23, 11:26 AM
Don't forget that if you're adventuring, your appearance is going to drop like a rock. You go for a week without bathing or cleaning your teeth while regularly getting into fights and tromping around in swamps and ancient ruins and see how long you stay pretty. You'll rack up scars, lost teeth, an eyepatch, missing fingers, and if it's D&D, you might even rack up symbiotes, extra eyes and fingers, horns, and any number of other strange growths or concavities. Adventurers are basically psychopathic hobos, so it's likely they'll look like, well, hobos.

newbDM
2009-03-02, 12:06 PM
I just added the Experience and Leveling UP section I had been planing to add for a while. I would love to hear your thoughts on this part, and I would like to know if anyone else out there uses a similar method.

Don't forget that if you're adventuring, your appearance is going to drop like a rock. You go for a week without bathing or cleaning your teeth while regularly getting into fights and tromping around in swamps and ancient ruins and see how long you stay pretty. You'll rack up scars, lost teeth, an eyepatch, missing fingers, and if it's D&D, you might even rack up symbiotes, extra eyes and fingers, horns, and any number of other strange growths or concavities. Adventurers are basically psychopathic hobos, so it's likely they'll look like, well, hobos.

Hmm. Interesting point.

Then again, in a world without toothpaste, and where soup is super expensive, I imagine that this is what most people look like. So perhaps adventurers at least have the "rugged" and muscular/fit look to them?

newbDM
2009-03-15, 09:41 AM
Update:

I have added my stance on the CN alignment, and what happens if your character ****s to an evil alignment.

What do the pros here think about said rules?