PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing in 3rd Ed.

Rakim Avishot
2009-01-29, 09:50 PM
I am quite new to D&D 3.5e, since my dad only plays 2nd, and I have a few questions about multiclassing:
1) If you multiclass, can you gain ranks in your original class later. ex: Rogue/Barbarian 4/2 gains a level. Is this possible: Rogue/Barbarian 5/2?
2) What about prestige classes? ex: Rogue/Shadowdancer 7/3 levels into Rogue/Shadowdancer 8/3?
3) What is "multiclass note" in prestige classes?
Please excuse my inexperience.:smallbiggrin:

Found answer to number three, so nevermind.

Nohwl
2009-01-29, 09:53 PM
1. yes
2. yes
3. i dont know

Siosilvar
2009-01-29, 09:57 PM
Remember that there's a 20% experience penalty per class two or more levels apart from another. Your race's "favored class" is excluded from this.

EDIT: As are PrCs.

Rakim Avishot
2009-01-29, 10:00 PM
K. Thanks a lot you guys.

Draz74
2009-01-30, 01:51 AM
1. yes
2. yes

With some exceptions (Monks and Paladins).

Eldariel
2009-01-30, 05:51 AM
Also, unlike in AD&D, there's no limitation on using your abilities; regardless of their choice, all abilities are a fair game with no XP penalties for a multiclassed character.

kamikasei
2009-01-30, 06:05 AM
Essentially: every time you gain a level you can take it in any class you like, except that some have prerequisites (e.g. you have to be lawful to be a paladin, chaotic to be a barbarian, you have to have various feats or skills or abilities to take a PrC, etc.). Many combinations will be absolutely terrible but a great many are possible. Example: you can be a rogue 1/fighter 2/barbarian 1/ranger 3/wizard 2/sorceror 3/bard 1/cleric 7. You'll just suck at all of those things.

There are exceptions, which will be specifically mentioned in the class description.

Aquillion
2009-01-30, 06:25 AM
Example: you can be a rogue 1/fighter 2/barbarian 1/ranger 3/wizard 2/sorceror 3/bard 1/cleric 7. You'll just suck at all of those things.New challenge: Make this build not suck. Or at least, try and make it as non-sucky as possible. You must have the classes listed, and your stats must use some sane setup, but all other choices made are fair game.

BobVosh
2009-01-30, 06:31 AM
New challenge: Make this build not suck. Or at least, try and make it as non-sucky as possible. You must have the classes listed, and your stats must use some sane setup, but all other choices made are fair game.

That is EASY. Date the DM. Or at least put out.

Well if I'd known it'd be taken like that I'd have made it a real challenge. Beguiler 2/wizard 2/sorcerer 2/cleric 2/druid 2/archivist 2/artificer 2/warmage 2/warlock 2/psion 2...

Nah, it is funnier with core only classes.

kamikasei
2009-01-30, 06:32 AM
New challenge: Make this build not suck. Or at least, try and make it as non-sucky as possible. You must have the classes listed, and your stats must use some sane setup, but all other choices made are fair game.

Well if I'd known it'd be taken like that I'd have made it a real challenge. Beguiler 2/wizard 2/sorcerer 2/cleric 2/druid 2/archivist 2/artificer 2/warmage 2/warlock 2/psion 2...

Aquillion
2009-01-30, 06:37 AM
That is EASY. Date the DM. Or at least put out.But the goal was to avoid sucking...