PDA

View Full Version : [Creature, Elem. War]The true ladies in the water

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-28, 12:59 AM
Wai

http://homepage.mac.com/roemhild/desktop-pictures/aqueous/mediafiles/l5.jpg

Gargantuan Elemental (extraplanar, water)
Hit Dice: 31d8+217 (365 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: Swim 200 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+9 deflection, +4 dex, -4 size), touch 19, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +23/-
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Cavitation, seastate, spell-like abilities, vortex
Special Qualities: Aquatic sight, blindsight 100 ft., darkvision, daughter of the wash, elemental traits, immunity to cold and fire, low-light vision, water dependence
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +16, Will +18
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 18, Con 24, Int 16, Wis 23, Cha 28
Skills: Concentration +27, Diplomacy +26, Knowledge (the planes) +37, Listen +42, Spot +42, Swim +48
Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightening Reflexes, Mobility, Run, Skill Focus (concentration), Toughness x3
Environment: Elemental Plane of Water
Organization: Solitary or Sisterhood (3-9 wai)
Challenge Rating: 24
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 32-96 HD (Gargantuan), 98-186 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

The wai, also known as daughters of the wash, can only be properly described as a presence, or more precisely, a disturbance. The water about takes on a sparkling clarity, and in places bubbles as it converts to steam. Spinning and dancing about all this are bits of ice ranging from the large to the miniscule in beautiful patterns and shapes. A latticework of icey strands constantly grow about the creature only to melt away a moment later, never the exact same design twice.

If water elementals were commoners, and primals the soldiers, a wai would be the queens and princesses of all that born of the waters. They consider the entire plane of water their body, and thus their domain, with that immediately surrounding their consciousness as their eyes and ears.

With the vastness of the plane wai are rarely seen, and even their existence is jealously guarded by other water elementals. Thus though they can exude no particular influence over their kin, wai command great respect. When danger threatens the plane it is often the wai that rallies the inhabitants.

A wai speak aquan.

Combat
A wai is not bothered by the threat of physical harm, and even in the face of magical opposition they can quite easily retreat to a safer section of water. If forced to fight or defend however

Aquatic Sight (Ex): A wai can see twice as far underwater as a human can see in normal conditions.

Cavitation (Ex): As a full-round action a wai can manipulate water in a unique way known as cavitation that for a brief instance forms a bubble about itself. The bubble immediately collapses, superheating the water which explodes outwards. Creatures within 60 feet are permanently blinded and take 20d6 damage, half of which is force, the other half fire. If a creature within the area makes a successful Reflex saving throw (DC 32), it takes only half damage and is not blinded.

Daughter of the Wash (Ex): A wai's presence automatically manipulates the water it inhabits at any moment as a physical manifestation. This 'body' is often an even mixture of ice, liquid and steam, though it may change these states at will. As such, a wai is completely immune to weapon damage, its essence the only vulnerable part of its self.

Seastate (Su): As a standard action a wai can exert its control over the water with 60 feet of itself, freezing it solid or heating it to boiling temperatures.

If freezing the water, it forms a sphere about itself as a Wall of Ice spell. Each round the wai remains in place and concentrates the wall's radius increases by 1 foot and its thickness by 1 inch to a maximum radius of 1 foot per HD.

If heating the water, those within ten feet automatically takes 10d6 fire damage each round. Each round the wai remains in place and concentrates the heated area increases by 5 feet to a maximum distance of 5 feet per HD. The bubbles produced in this area obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target).

Spell-like Abilities:
At will - Animate Water, Water Breathing. 1/day Summon Nature's Ally IX (water elemental only). Caster level 30th.

True Swim (Ex): A wai can move its consciousness from one location of a water source (this includes all its states, from vapor to ice) to another, as a normal being would direct their attention to a specific locale of their body. As such they may unmagically relocate their essence up to 3,000 feet as a full round action as long as the two locations are connected. Force affects and similiar spells and powers block this movement.

Vortex (Su): A wai can spin itself into a whirlpool at will, and remain in that form indefinetely. In vortex form, the wai can move through the water at its swim speed. The vortex is 10 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top, and 10 feet or more tall, depending on the wai's size. The wai controls the exact height, but it must be 20-100 feet.

The wai’s movement while in vortex form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the wai enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the vortex if it touches or enters the vortex, or if the wai moves into or through the creature’s space.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the wai take 2d8 + 2d6 fire damage when caught in the vortex and may be swept up by it. An affected creature must succeed on a DC 39 Reflex save when it comes into contact with the vortex or take the indicated damage. It must also succeed on a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful currents, automatically taking damage each round. An affected creature is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the vortex. The creature still takes damage, but can leave if the save is successful. The save DC is Strength-based.

Creatures trapped in the vortex cannot move except to go where the wai carries them or to escape the whirlpool. Creatures caught in the whirlpool can otherwise act normally, but must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the whirlpool take a –4 penalty to Dexterity and a –2 penalty on attack rolls. The wai can have only as many creatures trapped inside the vortex at one time as will fit inside the vortex’s volume.

The wai can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the vortex happens to be.

If the vortex’s base touches the bottom, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the wai and has a diameter equal to half the wai’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment. Those caught in the cloud must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

Water Dependence (Ex): A wai is incapable of leaving the elemental plane of water, being inexorably bound to the underlying fabric of the plane. Teleportation spells directed at a wai simply transports the water it currently inhabits, leaving it momentarily bodiless before the space is refilled.

Skills: A wai has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-28, 12:00 PM
What the hell is that picture? Its creepy. I get the feeling there's something there, but I can't quite see it. How fitting.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 12:21 PM
It burns, it freezes, it slices and dices (well, okay, it doesn't do that).

A question though. It is is my understanding that this creature has no physical form (hence the lack of attack modes and its ability to transport through water.

But it has a space and reach area.

So what happens if someone is inside that area?

What about things that force manifestation of incorporeal creatures? I understand this isn't incorporeal, but it'd be nice to know how to give it a physical form so one could attack it with something other than magic...and even then, how would, say, a scorching ray affect one? You can't target it, since it has no shape, so you'd be stuck AoEing the water and hoping you caught it in the area, an unlikely possibility considering its ability to teleport through water.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-28, 12:40 PM
A question though. It is is my understanding that this creature has no physical form (hence the lack of attack modes and its ability to transport through water.

But it has a space and reach area.
The water reacts about it however, and it can use it as manipulative digits and subsequently shows others where its consciousness lies.

So what happens if someone is inside that area?
The ice and turbulence within its space keeps others from sharing its same space as normal.

and even then, how would, say, a scorching ray affect one?
Nothing as it is immune to fire ;)

You can't target it, since it has no shape, so you'd be stuck AoEing the water and hoping you caught it in the area, an unlikely possibility considering its ability to teleport through water.
You can target the water disturbance which is basically a body that can't be damaged and is highly amorphous.

The Demented One
2006-09-28, 05:47 PM
What the hell is that picture? Its creepy. I get the feeling there's something there, but I can't quite see it. How fitting.
When you see it, you'll excrete bricks.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 06:25 PM
Maybe it's just my colorblindness, but I don't see anything.

Toric
2006-09-28, 07:34 PM
It may just be my cruddy connection, but I see a red X. :P

So it's a conscious nothing that can't be hurt by weapons, cold, or fire, and can teleport at will. You don't plan on anyone actually fighting this thing, do you?

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 07:41 PM
It may just be my cruddy connection, but I see a red X. :P

So it's a conscious nothing that can't be hurt by weapons, cold, or fire, and can teleport at will. You don't plan on anyone actually fighting this thing, do you?
Well, it is a CR 24. That's epic. There's a lot you can do when you're epic.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 08:40 PM
And so it begins. For those of you who don't know (probably everyone here except VT and D1) this is the third entry in the as yet unofficial elemental war. VT has chosen to represent water, The Demented One is earth, and I'm responsible for the plane of air. The first two entries are The Hunter of the Wind and Garet Overbough respectively, with more coming soon. This is great, VT, I'm just glad that I'm not the poor sap grom the plane of earth caught trying to kill this thing. One thing though: Let's try to keep this war at slightly lower levels; an uber elemental and some epic magical guardian, then it's all sub-epic to keep things balanced would be fair in my opinion.

P.S. if anyone who feels that they're creative enough for the position of the plane of fire and is brave enough to face this thing, PM me and I'll fill you in on the details so we can work something out.

The Demented One
2006-09-28, 08:42 PM
Did you not notice my Adamant Reaver (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11592449 03;start=0#0), Seraph?

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 08:46 PM
I can do fire. I like fire.

Heh.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 08:55 PM
Did you not notice my Adamant Reaver (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11592449 03;start=0#0), Seraph?
:-[
Sorry about that, I didn't see it. I'm extremely surprised by the lack of response to it, though it seems to point out that I'm not alone. I'll place comments on its page, as is appropriate. Now all we need is to get a compendium for this stickied and we're good to go.

theswarm
2006-09-29, 01:06 AM
How do you kill this thing!!!!

Toric
2006-09-29, 01:31 AM
Ah, now I can see the image.

Anyway, I have no experience with Epic campaigns, so I'll just take your word for it Fax.

Lykan
2006-09-29, 02:53 AM
How do you kill this thing!!!!
Very carefully.

And with heavy amounts of electricity damage.

martyboy74
2006-09-29, 08:24 AM
Very carefully.

And with heavy amounts of electricity damage.
Or an Energy substitution feat and lots of Electric Fireballs.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-29, 10:05 AM
Three words: Mind-Affecting Effects.

I mean, in some ways this thing is far easier to take out than the tarrasque, having absolutely no spell resistance or special healing.

martyboy74
2006-09-29, 04:40 PM
Yes! Iresistable Phantom Killers FTW!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-29, 04:56 PM
Yes! Iresistable Phantom Killers FTW!
*WHACK*

Their not irresistible.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-29, 06:26 PM
Alright then, VT, about that alliance I was talking about earlier...

mikoto
2006-09-29, 07:43 PM
what is this elemental war i keep hearing about

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-29, 08:13 PM
The elemental war is something that The Demented One, Vorpal Tribble, Fax Celestis and I are in the midst of right now, with each of us representing the planes of earth, water, fire and air respectively. It only really got started about three or four days ago, though my original drafts of the first combatant for the plane or air span back to the beginning of the month.

mikoto
2006-09-29, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the clarification.(Go Demented One Go!)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-29, 08:45 PM
CREEPY THREAD GO *shot*

martyboy74
2006-09-29, 08:50 PM
*WHACK*

Their not irresistible.
I just meant to use it with the metamagic... :(

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-04, 02:42 PM
Alright then, VT, about that alliance I was talking about earlier...
I can't seem to find the mail talking about it. Resend it? :-/

Btw, Seraph, here is an ally of the Wai, the Licosti (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11597386 53)