PDA

View Full Version : Longspear and Shield

Fizban
2006-10-04, 12:05 AM
So I was reading another thread and the subject of old roman/greek etc soldier using longspears and shields at the same time. Then I remebered a feat I saw once that allowed one to use a longspear and a shield at the same time to duplicate that. And now I'm thinking: why not just stop mincing words and make a feat of it:

*Feat name here* [Fighter]
Prerequisites: *here*
Benefit: You may wield a two-handed weapon for a creature your size in one hand.

The main purpose here is to allow someone to wield weapons such as spears, longspears, glaives and other polearms while using a shield. The weapon is still only weilded in one hand, so it's worse than Improved Buckler Defense or an animated shield, and I'm pretty sure a greatsword or axe in one hand is no bigge. The main problem I forsee is that it walks all over the bastard sword and friends, maybe that could be included in the prerequisites.

So, comments, ideas?

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2006-10-04, 12:42 AM
The only time they did that was in mass forms, pressing forward. The only had on direction to jab.

So that feat won't be that accurate.

TheOOB
2006-10-04, 01:20 AM
Wielding a longspear and a shield isn't really effective as an individual tactic. In groups where the people in front use their shields and the people in back use their spears it works, but people who worked solo would use shortspears instead.

Fizban
2006-10-04, 02:36 AM
Okay, so it's completely realistically inaccurate. Well then, what about for DnD balance and mechanics and whatnot. I still like the idea of using a longspear iin one hand with a shield and I keep thinking there could be some other cool uses for it, like scythe one handed.

kanachi
2006-10-04, 09:25 AM
I can to some degree understand the oppertunity for a feat to allow a person to weild a long spear and shield at the same time, i would however only allow them to add half their strength bonus to the damage.

As for allowing the same for weapons such as scythe.. well thats not only massivly overpowered (why would anyone use a long sword when you can weild a great sword??) but its also quite unrealistic. You would require a strength of atleast 18 to pull this off i would recomend.

TheUdjat
2006-10-04, 10:01 AM
Wait, isn't that what monkey grip does? (If it doesn't, what does it do?)

Otherwise, I think it's basically okay for two-handed weapons to be two-handed. But, y'know, if one really wanted to be Cloud, I'm sure there could be something for that.

Maybe instead of a feat to make weapons, in general, usable in one hand, maybe the feat applies to only a specific weapon? And maybe it has to be a weapon that one already has Weapon Focus and/or Weapon Specialty in? That might fix some of the balance issues. Or maybe 'just piercing weapons', etc.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 10:04 AM
Wait, isn't that what monkey grip does? (If it doesn't, what does it do?)
Monkey Grip lets you hold a bigger weapon at a smaller penalty. That's it. Kinda lame.

Matthew
2006-10-04, 10:43 AM
The last thing D&D really needs is more Feats [/Heresy]

The problem with this Feat is that it could potentially allow a Character to use a Great Sword in one hand and therefore a Great Sword in each hand. Since you have to take an Exotic Weapon Proficiency [1 Feat] to use even the pitiful Bastard Sword in one hand, I would suggest that this is not a good idea for regular D&D play; I am not saying you should not allow it, but I would not, on conceptual grounds if nothing else.

On the other hand, I fully sympathise with your desire to allow Characters to use the Spear / Long Spear in one hand. To some extent, what follows depends on your conception of these weapons; for my part I envision the Spear as being up to six feet long and the Long Spear as being over six feet.

The easiest solution is to just follow the Bastard Sword model and have the Javelin, Spear and Long Spear be Simple Two Handed Weapons that with Martial Proficiency can be used One Handed. The only objection I have ever really heard is that this causes the Spear to outclass the Trident; I would suggest allowing the latter a +2 to Disarm Rolls, if it becomes a concern, as it seems conceptually agreeable.

The Long Spear need not be allowable under this system, but I usually do, as it gives it a reason to be used by Martial type Characters.

Hope that helps.

TheHawk
2006-10-04, 11:06 AM
Maybe if you limit it to piercing weapons? You still have the scythe problem but...

Peregrine
2006-10-04, 01:32 PM
How about setting weapons against a charge with one hand? That at least is a step closer to reality. I think.

JellyPooga
2006-10-04, 01:49 PM
Maybe if you limit it to piercing weapons? You still have the scythe problem but...

or just limit it to spears / spear-like weapons (Piercing reach weapons maybe). A feat that allows that is by no means broken really - Bastard Sword requires a Feat to wield 1-H, a feat that allows another 2-H weapon 1-H, especially if it has more prerequisites. Maybe something along the lines of:

Spear Master (I couldn't think of anyting else)
Choose a 2-H Piercing weapon with reach or Spear. You are proficient with wielding that weapon with one hand, a tactic that is especially useful when used in formation.
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (selected weapon), B.A.B +3
Benefit: You can wield the selected weapon with 1 hand as long as it is sized for you.

Another option would be to include the shield part (so you don't have people weilding 2 spears). Along the lines of

Spear and Shield [Weapon Style]
Choose a 2-H Piercing weapon with reach or Spear. You are proficient with wielding that weapon with one hand and a shield in the other a tactic that is especially useful when used in formation.
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (selected weapon), Proficiency with Large and Small Shields, B.A.B +3, Improved Shield Bash (?)
Benefit: When using a Large or Small Shield, you may use the selected weapon one handed.

The second one suits the idea better I think (and allows you to threaten all squares in a 10ft radius), but the first is more generic.

fangthane
2006-10-04, 02:02 PM
Hoplite Grip
Prerequisites: Base attack +1, proficient with spears, proficient with shields larger than bucklers
Benefit: When wielding a two-handed spear or similar reach piercing weapon, you may also take advantage of using a medium or smaller shield without penalty. Use of a spear in this manner is one-handed and adds only the wielder's strength bonus (rather than 150% as normal for a two-handed weapon)