PDA

View Full Version : Well it's worth a shot. Soldier

Dienekes
2009-01-30, 03:12 AM
This is my first ever real homebrew. And I want all of you folks to tear it up as best you can. What works? What sucks? What's broken and what makes little to no sense.

The Soldier is essentially my answer to an attempt at mixing a Fighter and a Marshall class. I wanted him to be more based around the idea of the rugged veteran who leads through example than the Charisma based Marshall as well as giving it abilities that shrink the gap between martial and magic characters.

Soldier
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Bonus Feat, Combat Tactic

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Tactics Per Round +1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Combat Tactic, Shield Training +1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Tactics Per Round +2, Combat Tactic

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Shield Training +2

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Combat Tactic

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat, Tactics Per Round +3

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Combat Tactic, Shield Training +3

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Brothers in Arms

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Tactics Per Round +4, Combat Tactic

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat, Shield Training +4

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Combat Tactic

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Tactics Per Round +5

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Combat Tactic, Shield Training +5

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Tactics Per Round +6, Combat Tactic

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Shield Training +6

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Combat Tactic

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat, Tactics Per Round +7[/table]

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d10.
Class Skills
The Soldier’s class skills are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (architecture) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Ranks Per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
The following are class features of the soldier.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A soldier is proficient with all simple weapons and martial weapons. As well as with all armor and shields (including tower shields)

Bonus Feat: Receive at 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20

Combat Tactic: Every odd level a soldier may pick a Combat Tactic from the list below. At first level the soldier can only have one Combat Tactic in effect at any given time. The exact rules are different for each individual tactic.

The List of Tactics
Ambush: Initiated as a free action during a surprise round all attackers’ gain +2 to attack. The effect lasts until the end of the surprise round. The tactic is considered in use for 2 full rounds.

Attrition: As a free action all allies within 30 feet of the soldier gain +4 to attack and -2 to AC. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to your Wisdom modifier.

Bonus Feat: a soldier gain a combat feat that he qualifies for in place of a Combat Tactic.

Hit and Run: As a standard action, you and all allies within 20 feet may take a 10 foot step as if it were a 5 foot step, not provoking an attack of opportunity, even after performing a full round action. The effect lasts for 4 rounds.

Meat Shield: As a free action. All allies within 10 ft + 5 per point of Wisdom Modifier who attempt the Aid Another action grants their ally +5 AC instead of the normal +2. The effect lasts for 2 x your Wisdom modifier.

Pincer Movement: As a standard action if you and at least 1 other ally are flanking an opponent one of the two of you receive +1d4 to their damage. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to your Wisdom Modifier.

Shield Wall: As a standard action, if there are at least 2 allies adjacent to you all adjacent allies gain +3 to their AC. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to your Wisdom modifier

Skirmish: As a standard action, all allies within 50 feet of the soldier add their Wisdom bonus to their AC as a dodge bonus. The effect lasts 5 rounds.

Flying Wedge: As a standard action you and all allies adjacent to you gain +4 to attack and +1d4 to damage. A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic. The effect lasts for 2 rounds.

Guerrilla Combat: All allies within 50 feet of the soldier gain a bonus to their hide and move silently checks equal to their Wisdom modifiers. A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic. The effects last for 5 minutes.

Hammer and Anvil: As a standard action if you and at least 1 other ally are flanking an opponent one of the two of you receive +2d4 to their damage and +2 to attack. A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic. The bonuses do not stack with Pincer Movement. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to your Wisdom Modifier.

Misdirection: As a standard action. At the start of all allies, within 30 feet, turns they may make a feint check as a free action. A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic.

Pepperpotting: As a free action, you and all allies in 50 feet using a ranged weapon or magic attack add your Wisdom bonus to their AC and hide skill (does not stack with Guerrilla Combat). A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic. The effects last for 2 minutes.

Phalanx: As a standard action, if there are at least 2 allies adjacent to you, both with shields, all allies adjacent to you or any ally adjacent to you gain +4 AC, +8 against ranged attacks. A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic. The bonuses do not stack with Shield Wall. The effects last for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Turtling: As a free action you or any one ally within 30 feet of you may take a move action. A soldier must be level 9 to get this tactic. While the effect instantaneous it counts as an ongoing tactic for 3 rounds.

Encirclement: As a standard action if you and at least 1 other ally are flanking an opponent one of the two of you receive +4d4 to their damage and +4 to attack. A soldier must be level 15 to get this tactic. The bonuses do not stack with Pincer Movement or Hammer and Anvil. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to 2 x your Wisdom Modifier.

Lay Siege: All siege weapons being used within 25 feet +5 per point of Wisdom modifier the soldier has gain +10 to hit and deals double damage against fortifications. A soldier must be level 15 to get this tactic.

Overruning: As a standard action, delivering Coup de Graces are a free action to any ally within 25 feet of the soldier. A soldier must be level 15 to get this tactic. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to your Wisdom Modifier.

Testudo: As a standard action, if there are at least 2 allies adjacent to you, both with shields, all allies adjacent to you or any ally adjacent to you gain +6 AC, +10 against ranged attacks. A soldier must be level 15 to get this tactic. The bonuses do not stack with Phalanx or Shield Wall. The effects last for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Tactics Per Round: At first level a soldier can only have 1 Combat Tactic working at any given time. At level 2 and every 3 levels after the amount of Combat Tactics that can be working at any given time improves by +1 to a maximum of +7 (or 8 full tactics) at level 20.

Shield Training: A soldier has been trained on how to catch spells with their shields. At third level a soldier can add +1 to their Reflex Save for saves against magic as long as they are using a shield. This improves by +1 every three levels thereafter.

Brothers in Arms: At 10th level. If a soldier should ever be controlled or forced to make an action of physical force against someone they would consider to be a comrade they can make a resist check of Will Save + 5. This is only to resist the action, it does not free the soldier from the spell.

Well that's it. I'm hoping if I get enough positive feedback to make more tactics to choose from.

Now my questions are, about the Shield Training and Brothers in Arms they are essentially there to make wizards and other powerful magic users not be able to completely destroy them. I don't think Shield Training was too powerful as the type of magic it defends against is generally considered one of the weaker options and Brothers in Arms is very limited in when it works. So what do you think, too much anti-magic, too little to be able to stand up against any half decent magic opponent?

Also the tactics, are they too confusing with the different lengths for each one? Do you think they aren't strong enough, or too strong?

Well, hope you folk like it. Now go tear it apart.

Frog Dragon
2009-01-30, 08:39 AM
This would stand well amongst the ToB classes and for a first homebrew it is outsanding. However don't plan on using this with the core fighter. This will make it obsolete. With ToB it's a good class. The combat tactics look balanced though I didn't take a detailed look.

Dienekes
2009-01-30, 09:52 AM
Wow, thanks.

Yeah, it is stronger than a Fighter, but then I thought it was fairly agreed upon that just about everything is. It should be noted that my group uses a Pathfinder Fighter specifically because of this, and that was what I was trying to balance it with.

Yakk
2009-01-30, 12:01 PM
Free actions with durations seem strange to me. The ones that "count as on" sort of work, but the tracking would be annoying.

Maybe some kind of TP system? (tactics points) Ie, a level 1 Soldier might have 1 TP, going up to 8 TP at level 8. The Soldier gets back 1 TP per round. A power that "counts as lasting 3 rounds" would cost 3 TP to use. The Soldier might be allowed to take a full-round action to refresh his TP to full.

Give tactics levels, or steal from the psy system and have each tactic auto-upgrade based on your class level. (Instead of the ad-hoc system of "requires level 9"). In multiple cases, you have low-level tactics that become obsolete (and you have no way of getting rid of the low level one as written) -- someone who is good at flanking at level 1 shouldn't be punished for wanting to be good at flanking at level 10.

Shield Training doesn't quite work, because not all Soldiers will use shields. The result is dead levels...

The class lacks a capstone, which is popular.

Many of the standard action powers .. aren't good enough. They involve giving up an attack (or even a full attack).

Dienekes
2009-01-30, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the insight Yakk.

As for the free actions required taking rounds I'll have to work on the wording a bit. What I was trying to say was that it takes a free action to initiate to tactic but it lasts or counts as being on for the purposes of Tactics per Round

Yeah, I also think the tracking would really screw with the flow of a battle, and I'll try and think of a correct way. I don't want to use the Marshalls 2 auras on at all times mentality.

The auto upgrade for tactics is a good idea. I think I'll implement it as soon as I think of more tactic options. As of now there are only about 20 and if I take away the improved versions of each tactic I'll be cutting down the options a lot.

I'm keeping Shield Training as this class is based around the idea of a shield warrior similar to most ancient soldiers.

I was thinking about the capstone Veteran: All tactics count as a free action to initiate. But I thought it would be too cheap.

Yes, the standard action powers do limit the soldier in combat for a round. But I figured being able to pull off the tactics while still performing attacks equivalent to a fighter or barbarian would be beyond the point broken. Do you think I should make the tactics stronger?

Idea: How would making the durations longer for the tactics and having Tactics per Round be instead Tactics per Encounter work? Would this be too 4Eish? I think it would help clean up some of the bookkeeping.

Egiam
2009-01-30, 03:03 PM
TP? *giggle, giggle, snort, giggle*

No, seriously that actually sounds kind of cool.

Nice homebrew. I don't really have any sound advice, except maybe to limit the feats one can get.

Yakk
2009-01-30, 03:36 PM
Random thoughts. I fully expect that many of these should be, and will be, rejected.

TP thoughts:
Soldiers get 1 TP at level 1. They gain additional TP at level 4 and every 4 levels afterward.

Soldiers get 1 Tactical Action per round. They can gain additional Tactical Actions by giving up a Standard Action.

Soldiers can regain up to their Wisdom bonus (min 1) in TP by spending a Tactical Action surveying the battlefield.

Soldiers know 1 Combat Tactic for every odd level.

---

Training:
At level 2 and every 4 levels afterwards, a Soldier gains a Training from the following list. Only 1 Training can be "in use" in a particular round. Switching which Training you are using requires a Tactical Action.

Deflecting Shield Training: While using a Shield, gain a +1 bonus to Reflex and Touch AC, +1 additional for every 5 class levels of Soldier.

Opportunistic Polearm Training: Gain a +1 bonus to hit with opportunity attacks while using a Polearm, +1 for every 5 class levels of Soldier.

Deadly Sword Training: Gain a +1/+2/+4/+6/+10 bonus to damage at level 2/5/10/15/20 when using a Sword.

Viscious Axe Training: Gain a +2 bonus to confirm criticals when using an Axe, +1 additional for every 5 levels of Soldier.

Mobility Training: You can make a 5' step once per round as a swift action.

Bow Sniper Training: Gain a +1 bonus to hit for every round spent aiming with a bow on your first attack with the bow on an adjacent round, to a limit of +1+1 for every 5 levels of solider. In addition, deal +1d6+1d6 for every 5 levels of soldier damage when you hit after such aiming.

Unarmed Training: ...

Armor Crushing Hammer Training: When you hit a target with a Hammer, place a -1 smash penalty to their AC until they readjust their armor (full round action, provokes AoO). This penalty increases by -1 for every 5 levels of Soldier, and does not stack with itself. It cannot lower a target's AC below their Touch AC.

etc.

Notice I did away with bonus feats. No point on stepping on Fighter toys.

The Tactics provide a resource management system. The Trainings act sort of like Fighter Feats (make you better at stuff passively), but are specifically designed to avoid the "put all of your eggs into one basket" that bonus feats encourage.

And by using mod 4 as the basis, we do away with any dead levels...

1: 1 TP, 1 Tactic
2: 1 Training
3: 2 Tactics
4: 2 TP
5: 3 Tactics
6: 2 Trainings
7: 4 Tactics
18: 5 Trainings
19: 10 Tactics
20: 6 TP, Capstone

This is aimed to generate something like the Quadratic growth rate of a spellcaster (but doesn't have to have the "I win" buttons of the spellcaster).

Stycotl
2009-01-30, 04:57 PM
is your avatar name from the gates of fire?

haven't had time to fully read through it yet, but it does like pretty interesting so far. will get back to you with something concrete later.

Knaight
2009-01-30, 08:34 PM
Shield Training: At third level and every 3 levels after a soldier has been trained on how to catch spells with their shields. A soldier can add +1 to their Reflex Save for saves against magic as long as they are using a shield. This improves to +6 at level 18.

Its worded kind of oddly. Try this:

Shield Training: A soldier has been trained on how to catch spells with their shields. At third level a soldier can add +1 to their Reflex Save for saves against magic as long as they are using a shield. This improves by +1 every three levels thereafter.

You might also want to add touch attacks.

Dienekes
2009-01-31, 01:51 AM
Thanks folk.

To Yakk: Those are some interesting ideas.

I'm possibly thinking of splitting into 2 groups Shield Training and Weapon Training. Shield Training is pretty basic, maybe add touch attack, but then the max would only be +3 (Increasing at 3, 9, and 15) The Weapon Training would come up with some new ideas (possibly borrowed or stolen from your list increasing at 6, 12, and 18)

I'm not sure if I like Tactic Points, though I would like others opinions on it.

I'll rewrite the tactics as leveling, and see if that gives a positive feedback.

Knaight: I was thinking about adding touch attacks, but I thought that would give him too much anti-magic power. Maybe if I have it split as suggested above with in the end +3 Ref, +3 Touch. Or is this too weak to make a difference now? Oh and thanks for the rewrite and it's been edited.

Stycotl: Vaguely, Dienekes actually was a warrior mentioned Herodotus Histories as the Spartan given the awards of aristea (basically called the best fighter of the battle) in Thermopylae. I've been using this as a name even before I knew of Gates of Fire, but yeah. I think that Pressfields portrayal of him is amazing. Hope you look over the class and tell me what you think

Knaight
2009-01-31, 09:29 AM
Knaight: I was thinking about adding touch attacks, but I thought that would give him too much anti-magic power. Maybe if I have it split as suggested above with in the end +3 Ref, +3 Touch. Or is this too weak to make a difference now? Oh and thanks for the rewrite and it's been edited.

Well odds are a soldier in heavy armor would get a +1 dex bonus to Ac, +6 for touch attacks, maybe havng a +2 or +4 deflection bonus. Thats 19-21 AC, at level 18, against +9 BAB, a dexterity bonus of +2 in all likelyness, weapon focus ray for anyone who uses them frequently for another +1, cats grace for +2, coming to +14, meaning that a 5 or 7 is going to need to be rolled to get past it. Getting a full +6 to both is fine. As for reflex saves, things aren't much better. The shield makes stuff easier to avoid, but fortitude, will, and non-existent save spells still go through. +6 to both at the end is fine.

Stycotl
2009-01-31, 12:24 PM
brothers in arms is a cool touch.

needs a capstone. badly.

maybe even a subcapstone at 15th level or somewhere around there.

the tactics i see as confusing, mostly for high-level characters that have a number of them active at a time. i don't know for sure, and won't till i playtest or see it playtested, but it seems like it would be a pain to keep track of. it would be similar to having 8 different buff spells active at a time, but they change every 2-4 rounds.

i'm not sure if that is as much of a problem as it initially looks, and it certainly seems interesting still.

as far as subcapstone abilities, an eventual immunity to mind effects could be cool. maybe at 7th level or so they gain a save bonus. then at 12th level it increases, and then at 16th level it becomes an immunity.

that would simulate the actual intellect and will that a seasoned soldier really has to have in order to survive and keep surviving, and the increased tolerance to fear and coercion.

for a capstone, i'd think something martially awesome would be appropriate. what? i don't have a clue. maybe give them a +5 to their reach for one attack every round, and/or the ability to strike any two squares with the same attack once per round (similar to the war mind).

Dienekes
2009-01-31, 02:57 PM
Ok, let’s see if this works better.

Soldier
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Combat Tactic

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Tactics Per Encounter +1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Combat Tactic, Shield Training +1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Tactics Per Encounter +2, Combat Tactic

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Shield Training +2

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Combat Tactic

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat, Tactics Per Encounter +3

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Combat Tactic, Shield Training +3

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Brothers in Arms

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Tactics Per Encounter +4, Combat Tactic

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat, Shield Training +4

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Combat Tactic

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Tactics Per Encounter +5

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Combat Tactic, Shield Training +5

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Tactics Per Encounter +6, Combat Tactic

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Shield Training +6

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Combat Tactic

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat, Tactics Per Encounter +7, Veteran[/table]

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d10.
Class Skills
The Soldier’s class skills are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (architecture) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Ranks Per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
The following are class features of the soldier.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A soldier is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Bonus Feat: Receive at 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20

Combat Tactic: Every odd level a soldier may pick a Combat Tactic from the list below. At first level the soldier can only use one Combat Tactic during an encounter.

The List of Tactics
Ambush: Initiated as a free action during a surprise round all attackers’ gain +2 to attack. The effect lasts until the end of the surprise round. At 7th and 15th level this bonus increases by +2 to a maximum of +6 at 15th level.

Attrition: Initiated as a free action all allies within 30 feet of the soldier gain +4 to attack and -2 to AC. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to twice your Wisdom modifier. At 7th and 15th level the bonus to attack increases by +2 to a maximum of +6 at 15th level.

Bonus Feat: a soldier gain a combat feat that he qualifies for in place of a Combat Tactic.

Encirclement: Initiates as a standard action if your party has at least 3 separate pairs of flankers on a single target(requires at least 6 flankers) all allies participating in the encirclement gain +3 to attack and +2d6 to damage. The bonuses do not stack with Pincer Movement or Hammer and Anvil. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to twice your Wisdom Modifier or until the formation breaks. At 7th and 15th level these bonuses increase by +2 to attack and +1d6 to damage to a maximum of +7 to attack and +4d6 to damage.

Feigned Retreat: Initiated as a standard action, 2 allies (including the soldier) within 30 feet of the soldier may make an instant move action out of combat without provoking an attack of opportunity caused by leaving a combat zone. Next round all enemies that make a move action to one of the allies that had just retreated suffer a -2 penalty to AC. At 7th and 15th level the number of allies allowed to move increases to 5 at 7th level and at 15th level all allies within 30 feet of the soldier may make the move action, also the penalty to AC increases by -2 to a maximum of -6 by 15th level.

Flying Wedge: Initiated as a standard action you and all allies adjacent to you gain +2 to attack and +1d4 to damage. The effect lasts for 3 rounds as long as the allies remain adjacent to you. At 7th and 15th level this bonus increases by +2 to attack and +1d4 to damage to a maximum of +6 to attack and +3d6 to damage at 15th level.

Guerrilla Combat: Initiated as a free action, all allies within 50 feet of the soldier gain a bonus to their hide and move silently checks equal to their Wisdom modifiers. The effects last for 5 minutes. At 7th and 15th level these bonus increase by +2 to a maximum of their Wisdom modifier +4 at 15th level.

Hammer and Anvil: Initiated as a standard action if you and at least 1 other ally are flanking an opponent both of you receive +1d4 to their damage. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to twice your Wisdom Modifier. At 7th and 15th level this bonus increases by 1d4 to a maximum of +3d4 at 15th level.

Hit and Run: Initiated as a standard action, you and all allies within 20 feet may take a 10 foot step as if it were a 5 foot step, not provoking an attack of opportunity, even after performing a full round action. The effect lasts for 4 rounds. At 7th and 15th level the bonus lasts for 2 rounds longer to a maximum of 8 rounds at 15th level.

Lay Siege: Initiated as a full round action, a siege weapon being directed by the soldier gains +5 to hit and deals double damage against fortifications. At 7th and 15th level the soldier may direct an additional siege weapon and gains an additional +5 to hit to a maximum of directing 3 siege weapons with +15 to hit.

Meat Shield: Initiated as a free action, all allies within 10 ft + 5 per point of Wisdom Modifier who attempt the Aid Another action grants their ally +5 AC instead of the normal +2. The effect lasts for twice your Wisdom modifier.

Misdirection: Initiated as a standard action, at the start of all allies, within 30 feet, turns they may make a feint check as a free action. At 7th and 15th level add +2 to the feint check to a maximum of +4 at 15th level.

Loose Formation: Initiated as a free action, all allies within 60 feet of the soldier who are not adjacent to any other ally receive +4 to their Reflex and Touch AC. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to twice your Wisdom Modifier. At 7th and 15th level these bonuses increase by +3 to a maximum of +10 at 15th level.

Overruning: Initiated as a standard action, delivering Coup de Graces no longer provokes an attack of opportunity. At 7th level Coup de Graces can be delivered as a standard action. At 15th level Coup de Graces can be delivered as a free action. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to twice your Wisdom Modifier.

Phalanx: Initiated as a standard action, if there are at least 2 allies adjacent to you, both with shields, all allies adjacent to you or any ally adjacent to an ally adjacent to you gain +4 AC, +2 to attack. The bonuses do not stack with Shield Wall or Testudo. The effects last for a number of rounds equal to twice your Wisdom modifier. At 7th and 15th level these bonuses increase by +2 to AC and +1 to attack to a maximum of +8 AC, +4 to attack at 15th level.

Pincer Movement: Initiated as a standard action if you and at least 1 other ally are flanking an opponent one of the two of you receive +1d6 to their damage. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to twice your Wisdom Modifier. At 7th and 15th level the bonus increases by +1d6 to a maximum of +3d6 at 15th level.

Shield Wall: Initiated as a standard action, if there are at least 2 allies adjacent to you all adjacent allies gain +3 to their AC and Touch AC. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equivalent to twice your Wisdom modifier, however the bonus is only gained if the formation is intact. At 7th and 15th level the bonus increases by +1 to a maximum of +5 at 15th level.

Skirmish: Initiated as a standard action, all allies within 50 feet of the soldier add their Wisdom bonus to their AC as a dodge bonus. The effect lasts 5 rounds. At 7th and 15th level the range and effect length increases by 5 as well as an additional +1 to their AC to a maximum of 60 foot radius, lasts 15 rounds, and increases AC by Wisdom modifier +2 at 15th level.

Spear Wall: Initiated as a standard action, all allies adjacent to you who are using any spear or pole-arm weapon gain +2 to attack and are considered readied for a charge. At 7th and 15th level the bonus to attack increases by +2 for a maximum of +6 to attack, also at 15th level the adjacent allies deal triple damage instead of double damage against charging enemies.

Testudo: Initiated as a standard action, if there are at least 2 allies adjacent to you, both with shields, all allies adjacent to you or any ally adjacent to you gain +6 AC, +10 against ranged attacks but take a penalty of -4 to attack and movement speeds take a -5 penalty. The bonuses do not stack with Phalanx or Shield Wall. The effects last for a number of rounds equal to twice your Wisdom modifier but are only in effect if the formation is not broken. At 7th and 15th level the bonus to AC increase by +3 and the penalty to attack is reduced by 1 to a maximum of +12 AC, +16 against ranged attacks and takes a -2 penalty to attack.

Turtling: Initiated as a standard action you or any one ally within 30 feet of you may take a move action. At 7th level this tactic can be initiated as a free action. At 15th level a soldier can choose to allow 2 allies to perform a move action, or one ally and himself.

Tactics Per Encounter: At first level a soldier can only have 1 Combat Tactic working during an encounter. At level 2 and every 3 levels after the amount of Combat Tactics that can be used in an encounter improves by +1 to a maximum of +7 (or 8 full tactics) at level 20.

Shield Training: A soldier has been trained on how to catch spells with their shields. At third level a soldier can add +1 to their Touch Armor Defense and Reflex Save for saves against magic as long as they are using a shield. This improves by +1 every three levels thereafter, to a maximum of +6 at level 18.

Brothers in Arms: At 10th level. If a soldier should ever be controlled or forced to make an action of physical force against someone they would consider to be a comrade they can make a resist check of Will Save + 5. This is only to resist the action, it does not free the soldier from the spell.

Veteran: At 20th level. Once at the beginning of each of the soldiers turns he may initiate any Tactic as a free action.

I may be changing the bonus feats to something else as suggested by Yakk, but as of now they're remaining.

Does this seem better balanced? Or more streamlined?