PDA

View Full Version : Multi class build help 3.5

EvilJames
2009-01-30, 05:28 AM
I'll be playing a 3.5 game soon starting at 10th level and we will be going into the Underdark. So I was hoping to get a few opinions on my build.

I am making a Neraph, Psychic Warrior 2/Cleric 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Disciple 3
His Domains are Chaos/War
His feats are: Zen archery, Speed of thought, Obtain Familiar, Psicrystal Affinity, Mortalbane, and Planar Familiar. He also has Weapon Focus (longsword) from his war domain.

For invocations I was thinking: Entropic Warding, Miasmic Cloud, and Hideous Blow
For his Psionics, I was thinking: Burst, and I'm not sure yet

I managed to roll really well for once so his stats are as follows: Str: 16, Dex: 14, Con: 13, Int: 14, Wis: 18, Cha: 17 I already put the bonuses into str and dex

I realize that Obtain familiar and psicrystal affinity probably aren't the most optimal of feats for me to take, but I like characters that have little companions that travel with them, even when they aren't in a party. I didn't really want to take planar familiar but I wanted my familiar to have hands and when I asked the Dm about it. He said he'd rather I take a feat and then he'd allow something like that so now I have an Anarchic toad with hands and can walk on his hind legs(in all other respects he's just like any other anarchic toad). Anyway this means I need the remaining feats to work even harder. Also any suggestions on Invocations and Psionics would be helpful.

Oh yeah for his first Gift of the Divine patron He'll be taking the one that can let him heal with the eldritch blast

JeminiZero
2009-01-30, 06:04 AM
I realize that Obtain familiar and psicrystal affinity probably aren't the most optimal of feats for me to take, but I like characters that have little companions that travel with them, even when they aren't in a party.

You're a cleric. Alignment permitting, you can animate dead. Or you could get Dead Walk as a warlock.

The familiar in this case is not merely sub-optimal, it may eventually become a liability. Because familiars are tied to the levels of 1 of your spellcasting classes (warlock or cleric), and when you go Eldritch Disciple, your familiar does not advance. Whic means that at higher levels it will be really weak and easily die.

Which would be fine if your familiar's death had no impact on you, other than needing to resummon it (like an animal companion). However, when familiars die, you lose XP, so over time you are stuck with the dilemma of whether to summon a weak easily killable familiar that drains your XP when it dies, or to forgo the familiar and waste the feat. A familiar is fine if you attach it to to a pure or near-pure base class.

Other than that, I would recommend picking practiced spellcaster cleric and warlock. you don't need Cha that high. You can gun for Warlock invocs with no save.

I would also recommend dropping the Psy-War levels. You don't really need the power points or the feats. Go something like 4 cleric / 1 warlock / 5 Eldritch Disciple. Drop Miasmic Cloud and Hideous Blows for Spider Climb, See the Unseen and/or Eldritch Glaive. You can also get a lesser invoc like fell flight, walk unseen, eldritch chain, charm, or dead walk.

EvilJames
2009-01-30, 02:55 PM
Actually the familiar is going up in levels since I took him as a feat and not a class feature. He advances with whatever arcane classes I have so the Warlock and eldritch disiciple levels stack for him, at least that's how it reads in the Complete Arcane. Undead are a no go. I asked. I'm a neutral cleric in a good party, I'm also the healer. It's not going to fly.

The Psy warrior is something I wanted so I could combine hideous blow with Mortal bane and his deep crystal Longsword. We are actually making characters on Saturday, so I'll have time to think about it. See the unseen sounds good. I wasn't sure about miasmic cloud, I just had an idea in my head of him using it to cover escapes but it's aoe seemed a little small.

However I defiantly don't want to be doing 4/1 cleric/ warlock (which is the minimum for eldritch disciple) because I don't want to take the exp penalty.

wadledo
2009-01-30, 03:20 PM
The Psy warrior is something I wanted so I could combine hideous blow with Mortal bane and his deep crystal Longsword. We are actually making characters on Saturday, so I'll have time to think about it. See the unseen sounds good. I wasn't sure about miasmic cloud, I just had an idea in my head of him using it to cover escapes but it's aoe seemed a little small.

However I defiantly don't want to be doing 4/1 cleric/ warlock (which is the minimum for eldritch disciple) because I don't want to take the exp penalty.

You're an 7th level+ cleric.
Divine Power

Also, you're going to want to use your Invocations for something more useful than the equivalent of a 1st level spell.

Aren't you going to take Xp penalties anyway, seeing as none of your classes are ranger?

AmberVael
2009-01-30, 03:50 PM
Technically you can't get Obtain familiar, as you have no Arcane Caster level. Warlock doesn't count. Even if it DID count, it is specifically stated that it doesn't qualify for things that require the ability to cast spells, which Obtain familiar specifies in its description (your familiar only gains abilities off of all classes that cast arcane spells.)

I suppose that doesn't matter though, if the DM approves.

Aren't you going to take Xp penalties anyway, seeing as none of your classes are ranger?

No. All of his classes are within one level of each other, meaning he takes no penalties. Only if you have multiple non favored classes with unequal levels do you actually take penalties.

EvilJames
2009-01-31, 12:58 AM
Actually warlocks do count for arcane caster levels. It's just anything with a spell casting level requirement they don't qualify for. since as you said, warlocks don't cast spells. However they are still casters.

Edit: after looking at the feat description again, it does say something about spells at the end, but I'm assuming that it's a typo as it contradicts the feat requirements.
Edit: Also it seems I do need a high charisma as most of my Edritch disciple abilities require that a use a turn undead to use them.