PDA

View Full Version : [4.e] Need help making a gladiator

Guinea Anubis
2009-01-30, 06:56 AM
So my PCs are at the last stage of a gladiator tournament. They have been doing 5v5 matches. But for the last match I want all five of them to take on the champion of the ring. So please help me make a guy that can stand up against five level 4 PCs.

I was thinking of making him like a PC but a little over the top. Something like a two weapon ranger that uses two, two handed weapons or something along the lines of that.

Totally Guy
2009-01-30, 07:14 AM
Stick to the NPC creation rules. Make a level 4 NPC then apply a class template. This class will make up to a level 4 elite so he's still not formidable enough yet. When picking powers go with the flavourful 2 weapon ones.

Then add a toolbox template to make him up to a solo encounter. Try to find something with a decent offensive power. Lots of templates are designed to be used with a bodyguard or commander type unit, so don't fall into this trap.

Asbestos
2009-01-30, 11:05 AM
What? He's barely a level 4 encounter then (remember its a 5 man party and a 'solo' is really the equivalent of 4 monsters)
Darn you, RTG.
This dude needs to start at level 5 or 6 in order to be a challenge (perfectly acceptable to throw a level 7 at them, but that might be too rough)

Hold on... I'm building a real SOB here, will post when I finish.
Sorry, had class. Anyway, here's the 1st one, made the quick and dirty way by adding templates to a standard monster and then adjusting it to Solo levels.
Edit: Whoops, I think I need to boost his defenses ever so slightly... and let's change that first encounter power to an at-will, this guy is 5 monsters afterall. If you feel like its too much, just change Rhino Strike back to an encounter power or maybe a recharge 5,6 power.

Dragonborn Gladiator Level 5 Solo Solider
Medium natural humanoid XP 1000
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +3
HP 260; Bloodied 180; see also dragonborn fury
AC 22; Fortitude 24, Reflex 18, Will 15
Speed 5
Action Points 2
Saving throws +5
Regeneration 5
Basic Longsword (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+11 vs. AC (+12 while bloodied); 1d8 + 3 damage.
Footwork Lure (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+11 vs AC (+12 while bloodied); 1d8 + 3 damage, the gladiator shifts 1 square and slides the target into the space it left.
Rhino Strike (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
The gladiator charges and uses this attack in place of a melee basic attack, it does not provoke opportunity attacks from the movement during the charge.
+11 vs AC (+12 while bloodied); 2d8 + 3 damage.
Dragon Breath (minor; encounter) ✦ Cold
Close blast 3; +6 vs. Refl ex (+7 while bloodied); 1d6 + 2 cold
damage.
Crack the Shell (standard; daily) ✦ Weapon
+11 vs AC (12 while bloodied); 2d8 + 3 damage and the target takes ongoing 5 damage and -2 to AC (save ends both)
Dragonborn Fury (only while bloodied)
A dragonborn gains a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.
Shielded Sides (minor; encounter)
Until the end of its next turn the gladiator gains a +2 power bonus to AC and reflex and does not grant combat advantage to creatures flanking it.
Impetuous Spirit (immediate reaction, when an enemy leaves an
adjacent square; at-will) ✦ Weapon
The gladiator makes a melee basic attack against an
enemy, even if the enemy is shifting.
Martial Recovery (free, when the gladiator misses with
a melee attack; recharges when the soldier uses impetuous spirit)
✦ Weapon
The dragonborn soldier makes another melee attack against the
same target.
Murderous Frenzy
The gladiator gains 1 action point the first time it
reduces a foe to 0 hit points in an encounter.
Savage Rebuke (immediate reaction, when hit by a melee
attack; at will)
The gladiator makes a basic melee attack

Alignment Any Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Endurance +9, History +4, Intimidate +8
Str 16 (+5) Dex 15 (+4) Wis 12 (+3)
Con 15 (+4) Int 11 (+2) Cha 9 (+1)
Equipment scale armor, light shield, longsword

In addition the Dragonborn Gladiator has the following features.
Combat Challenge
In combat, it’s dangerous to ignore a fighter. Every time you attack an enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target. The mark lasts until the end of your next turn. While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include you as a target. A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place. In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.
Combat Superiority
You gain a bonus to opportunity attacks equal to your Wisdom modifier. An enemy struck by your opportunity attack stops moving, if a move provoked the attack. If it still has actions remaining, it can use them to resume moving.
Fighter Weapon Talent
Choose either one-handed or two-handed weapons. When using a weapon of your chosen style, you gain a
+1 bonus to attack rolls. (Already added in)

Tactics:
The dragonborn gladiator uses footwork lure to escape from flanking and uses Rhino Strike to engage ranged attackers, while avoiding OAs from melee opponents. The conditions that allow the gladiator to take immediate actions means that it will almost never waste said actions. To review, anyone shifting away from the gladiator provokes Impetuous Spirit, which recharges Martial Recovery, opportunity attacks by the gladiator have a +1 bonus to hit and stop movement, and when hit by a melee attack the gladiator can take spend an immediate action to make a basic melee attack.

That's the first, will build up one from scratch as an NPC and I'll build another using a sprinkling of 3rd party material. I think it'll easily satisfy that 'over the top' feeling (hint: medium sized ettin? :smallwink:)

RTGoodman
2009-01-30, 06:47 PM
What? He's barely a level 4 encounter then (remember its a 5 man party and a 'solo' is really the equivalent of 4 monsters)

I'm away from my books, but I think that's wrong. I think all the stuff in 4E is designed for 5 PCs, and thus a Solo monster is the equivalent of FIVE standard monsters. Take a look at pg. 56 of the DMG (or maybe pg. 64 - I can never remember off the top of my head) and look at the XP chart thingy. A Level 1 Solo creature gives the same XP as 5 standard creatures (500 vs. 100, I think), not 4 standards.

RTGoodman
2009-01-30, 06:53 PM

I'm away from my books, but I think that's wrong. I think all the stuff in 4E is designed for 5 PCs, and thus a Solo monster is the equivalent of FIVE standard monsters. Take a look at pg. 56 of the DMG (or maybe pg. 64 - I can never remember off the top of my head) and look at the XP chart thingy. A Level 1 Solo creature gives the same XP as 5 standard creatures (500 vs. 100, I think), not 4 standards.

Mando Knight
2009-01-30, 07:02 PM
For a party of 4 level 4s, try a level 3 or 4 Solo for a "normal" fight, and a Solo of level 5 or 6 for a "hard" fight... or a level 7 Solo for a really hard fight. The "Dragon's Den" encounter template suggests a Solo of level n or n+1, where n is the encounter level. (roughly party level)

If the fight is the final one in a series of bouts, then I'd consider making it the "hard" encounter.

Asbestos
2009-01-30, 07:09 PM

Damn, you're right. Anyway, a level 4 encounter is NOT a challenge for a level 4 party, its a 'standard encounter'. So, regardless, I still think I should be making level 5/6 solo monsters. The next one I'm making comes with a little caveat to boost it up to a level 6.5/7 encounter if the PCs are doing too well...

Tengu_temp
2009-01-30, 07:37 PM
Damn, you're right. Anyway, a level 4 encounter is NOT a challenge for a level 4 party, its a 'standard encounter'. So, regardless, I still think I should be making level 5/6 solo monsters. The next one I'm making comes with a little caveat to boost it up to a level 6.5/7 encounter if the PCs are doing too well...

4e is designed in such a way that a "standard encounter" is challenging to a party of the same level. Especially if it includes elite or solo monsters.

Asbestos
2009-01-30, 09:07 PM
Alright, things go messy here, had to to go to both the monster making and NPC making rules. Its a Gnoll Barbarian wielding an Execution Axe with the Savage Berserker template applied. Statted up thusly he should definitely provide a significant challenge for the party, entering into 'hard' territories.

Mognyr the Joyful Level 6 Solo Brute
Medium Natural Humanoid XP 1250
Initiative +5 Senses: Perception +6; low-light vision
HP 280; Bloodied 140
AC 20; Fortitude 21; Reflex 18; Will 16
Speed 7
Saving Throws +5
Action points 2
Regeneration 5
Basic Axe (standard; at-will)
+12 vs. AC; 1d12 + 6 damage, or 1d12 + 8 while bloodied; see also pack attack below. Reroll any 1s or 2s on the damage roll and add 1d12 damage on critical hits.
Howling Strike (standard; at-will)
+12 vs. AC; 1d12 +6 + 1d6 damage, or 1d12 + 8 + 1d6 while bloodied; see also pack attack below. Reroll any 1s or 2s on the damage roll and add 1d12 damage on critical hits. Mognyr may use this in place of a melee basic attack on a charge and while raging does not provoke OAs during movement for the charge.
Axe Fall (standard; recharge 6)
+10 vs. Fort; 2d12 + 6, 3d12 +8 damage while bloodied; see also pack attack below. On a hit the target is knocked prone. Reroll any 1s or 2s on the damage roll and add 1d12 damage on critical hits.
Frost Wolf Rage (standard; daily)
+12 vs AC; Before the attack the target may make a melee basic attack, if it does, Mognyr deals an extra 1d12 damage (reroll 1s and 2s) with this attack. 3d12 + 6 cold damage, 3d12 + 8 damage while bloodied; see also pack attack below. Half on miss. Reroll any 1s or 2s on the damage roll and add 1d12 damage on critical hits. Until the rage ends, any enemy that hits Mognyr with a melee attack takes 5 cold damage.

Swift Charge (free action; encounter)
When Mognyr reduces an enemy to 0 hp he may make a charge attack as a free action.
Instinctive Charge (no action; daily)
When rolling initiative for the encounter, Mognyr gains a +5 bonus. In addition he gains a +2 bonus to the first attack roll he makes in the encounter.
Murderous Frenzy
Mognyr gains 1 action point the first time it reduces a foe to 0 hit points in an encounter.

Savage Rebuke (immediate reaction, when hit by a melee attack; at will)
Mognyr makes a basic melee attack.
Rampage
Once per round, when Mognyr scores a critical hit, he can immediately make a melee basic attack as a free action. He does not have to attack the same target that he critically hit.
Pack Attack
Mognyr deals an extra 2 damage on melee attacks against an enemy that has two or more of his allies adjacent to it.

Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Abyssal, Common
Skills Intimidate +10, Athletics +11
Str 19 (+7) Dex 14 (+5) Wis 12 (+4)
Con 15 (+5) Int 8 (+2) Cha 10 (+1)
Equipment hide armor, execution axe.

Notes:
As arena champion, Mognyr the Joyful (see, cause he’s a gnoll, and the hyena laughing… your PCs will be like “Mognyr the Joyful? Sounds like a pushover”) doesn’t have to necessarily play fair. As the main attraction, the folks running the arena may easily bias the fight towards their moneymaker. When Mognyr first becomes bloodied, 4 hyenas (pg 166 of the MM) are released from the gate Mognyr entered the arena through and act on the next turn (so basically right after whomever bloodied Mognyr).
Tactics:
Mognyr uses Instinctive Charge at the beginning of the encounter in order to win initiative, his first attack (the one he gets a +2 on) is Frost Wolf Rage. He then spends an action point to charge an enemy using Howling Strike (which, since he's now raging, causes him to no provoke OAs). If/when the hyenas are released, they focus on whatever target bloodied Mognyr and try to stay adjacent to whatever target Mognyr is attacking in order to get some benefit out of pack attack.

Edit: Damn, he is tough. Remember, only release the hyenas if it looks like the party is having it too easy with Mognyr, the only way I think they'll be able to do that is to go Nova on him, but still, maybe they'll get lucky?

Asbestos
2009-01-30, 09:19 PM
4e is designed in such a way that a "standard encounter" is challenging to a party of the same level. Especially if it includes elite or solo monsters.

Yeah, as a player I have not seen a group be truly challenged by an encounter of the same level as the party. As a DM I have learned that standard encounters of a level equal to or 1 level higher than the party are totally fine, but encounters of 2 or 3 levels higher than the party are actually 'hard'. That is what I mean by challenging, to use a Halo metaphor, I mean playing on Heroic or Legendary when I talk about a 'challenge', not Normal.

Also, the OP is asking for a critter, so I'm making him critters, rather than be pedantic maybe make a better one, one that you consider appropriate and 'challenging'.

Edit: Ok, done for today (and probably tomorrow, the gf will be in town and she gets uppity if I spend more than 5 min on GitP) So, I'll post up my final solo gladiator at some point over the weekend, hopefully still in time for the OP to use him. Basically its a medium sized ettin that's a combination of two separate NPCs. So, no templates applied other than the class stuff since the Dual Activation deal will make him an elite as is. I'm thinking one head is a Warlord (and does Warlordy stuff on its turn) and the other is some sort of striker. Or possibly a Swordmage, with the Aegis protecting the other head... meaning that for practical purposes the Swordmage is his own ally for his Aegis. It should end up like fighting two elites in one package. He asked for over the top, I'm making him over the top.