PDA

View Full Version : [Star Wars] How do you feel about droid heroes?

Kiero
2009-01-30, 08:59 AM
I'll admit it's a rather bizarre prejudice of mine, I don't like "droid heroes". For me watching the movies, all the droid characters (particularly R2D2) came across as little more than mobile plot devices who kept the story moving. They didn't really have motivations of their own, and weren't really the focus of the story.

When playing the KotOR videogames, I absolutely loathe all the droid characters they give you, and won't play them unless I have to to get past a particular bit of plot.

So when I run Star Wars games, I don't allow droid PCs, which is why I'm rarely bothered when the rules don't make much effort to cater for it. Because for me, droids are pure NPC fodder, not for PCs. Sure you can make efforts to detail droids who are different, have unique programming that makes them like organics (and there have been a few examples in the EU, like Guri (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Guri) - who conveniently looks human), but I'd rather see organic characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of my distate comes from a dislike of hard sci-fi. Few of those tropes really appeal to me, my focus is more on the pulp and fantastical elements than the tech.

Am I alone in this particular proclivity? Does anyone else have strong feelings one way or another about what role droids should play in a game?

Myou
2009-01-30, 09:27 AM
Droids are definitely not hard sci-fi. ;D

I don't really like so-called droids much as main characters either, I think banning them as PCs would be fine.

Kiero
2009-01-30, 09:40 AM
Droids are definitely not hard sci-fi. ;D

No, my point is that a lot of the elements involving droids come from the sci-fi part of the myriad genre conventions blended together in Star Wars.

Darth Stabber
2009-01-30, 10:30 AM
Banning them is certainly your prerogative, but I like them. R2D2 I find to be an interesting character. Yes, he's the good little mechanic, but not just because of doing what he"a told. His crowning moment of awesome in the third movie was destroying the super battle droids with oil and is rocket boosters, and there are countless other examples of r2d2 saving the heroes through his thinking for himself as opposed to following orders dogmatically. Plus droids are so customizable, you pick the features you want and put them together, though i believe that you should get more starting cash for building your character, in fact When i gm I halve the cost factor to give more toys to the toy, if they start to get overpowered, Ion rifles exist.

Uin
2009-01-30, 10:41 AM
I don't play them myself purely for HP and Fort Defense issues but climbing claws and jump servos are mighty fun.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-01-30, 10:46 AM
Droids do seem pretty boring.
Mostly because the list of possible character concepts is kinda short:
we have either a "who am i?" inquisitive child(think "I,robot"), or a homicidal maniac/better-than-you type(like HK-47 and Skynet), or indeed a plot device(such as R2-D2 or the Terminator). Or we get an actual human character with different stats.

Although RP options are limited, any of abovementioned concepts may lead to interesting character interaction, which is actuzlly fun. Still, i don't think it's gonna last.

But hey, i wouldn't ban droids in my game: it's always good to have a little diversity in the party. even when they stop behaving droid-like(as in Darths&Droids), they are still metal guys who get blasted by ion guns and need repair instead of healing.

Hzurr
2009-01-30, 11:11 AM
The OP kindof has a point about the droids in the starwars movie. Essentially, they're the narrators of the story. They see pretty much everything from start to finish. (Also, R2D2's crowning moment in Episode 3 comes at the end of the movie, when they only choose to have C3P0's memory wiped. This was something a friend and I had been hoping for, because it means that during movies 4-6, R2D2 knows exactly what's going on, and is just being a little jerk. It's awesome.)

Also, OP, if you didn't play with any of the droid characters in KotoR, you really missed out. Playing with HK-47 is a blast, and if I remember, T3 is pretty amusing in the second one.

Banning droids in SWSE games is a bit more understandable. They definitely change the game, because they can have different abilities, vulnerabilities, immunities, etc. that normal PCs don't have. I mean, gassing a chamber might seem like a good idea, but the droid is just going to sit there and not care. Similarly, while Ion guns might not pose a threat to PCs, that droid will be running for his life.

That being said, I've played both droid, and non-droid characters in StarWars games, and I can't say that having droids is a bad thing. I had a lot of fun with mine (I was the possession/body guard of one of the other characters who was playing a noble, so I got to threaten anyone who I considered was being "rude" to him. It was awesome).

If you don't like them, I don't really think you're RUINING THE GAME OMG!!!! but having droid characters can be really fun.

Talya
2009-01-30, 11:26 AM
When playing the KotOR videogames, I absolutely loathe all the droid characters they give you, and won't play them unless I have to to get past a particular bit of plot.

How can anybody loaths HK-47? I can see not liking T3M4, he had no personality to speak of. But HK-47 is the heart and soul of the KotOR games!

Mando Knight
2009-01-30, 11:46 AM
How can anybody loaths HK-47? I can see not liking T3M4, he had no personality to speak of. But HK-47 is the heart and soul of the KotOR games!

Confirmation: I agree with this poster's assessment of HK-47. Any maligned feelings for the droid are certainly errors introduced into your meatbag processor. HK-47 is the coolest robot ever (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=93).

Talya
2009-01-30, 12:00 PM
Indeed. In fact, the only malevolent AI anywhere that can compete with HK-47 for overall coolness is GLaDOS.

Attilargh
2009-01-30, 12:06 PM
If I were the snarky type, I'd point out that just as there are no droid main characters in the movies, there are also no Wookiee main characters in the movies.

So of course I will. Do you also ban Wookiees from your games? :smalltongue:

Now, I am kidding, but quite frankly, I don't really understand why you dislike droids. Yes, the droids are not the main characters of the movies. Neither are Chewie, Jar-Jar or Commander Rex. At least the way I see it, about all of them have just as much personality and depth as Artoo and Threepio.

And no, I didn't use T3 either, but how anyone could not love HK is utterly beyond me.

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-30, 12:14 PM
The only thing I really don't like about droid heroes is a minor balance issue...

If you're a droid PC and you don't like your skill/talent selection, you can simply reprogram them. Organic PCs don't have that option unless the GM decides to houserule it. Likewise, if your droid is destroyed, you can simply load a backup of yourself into another droid, problem solved. Organic PCs might get a funeral, if they're lucky.

chiasaur11
2009-01-30, 12:18 PM
If I were the snarky type, I'd point out that just as there are no droid main characters in the movies, there are also no Wookiee main characters in the movies.

Now, I am kidding, but quite frankly, I don't really understand why you dislike droids. Yes, the droids are not the main characters of the movies. Neither are Chewie, Jar-Jar or Commander Rex. At least the way I see it, about all of them have just as much personality and depth as Artoo and Threepio.

And no, I didn't use T3 either, but how anyone could not love HK is utterly beyond me.

Statement: I am confused as well, fleshbag.
Pensive statement: Even the standard explanation for lovable robot hatred, that of the fleshwad being evil, fails.
Query: Is it not true HK-47 is one of the beings who best exemplifies evil in its most enjoyable form?
Enthused Deductive leap: Perhaps the subject is a self hating robot?

Kiero
2009-01-30, 12:50 PM

The movies aren't the sole, or even one of the main determinants of what is in or out of my Star Wars games. Frankly I couldn't care less about anything that took place in the OT, I don't play in the Classic/Rebellion era at all.

That was more to curtail some of the oft-trotted arguments, which start with "well in the movies...".

I don't much like droid characters, it just so happens that the movies back me up on one element of my stance, that they're plot devices not protagonists.

As to HK, he was entertaining the first time you played the game. But once that novelty has worn off, the fact that he's completely useless, and all the organic characters are better (especially in the second game) quickly overrides the appeal. Besides which making most of the other characters into Jedi is far more fun than whatever it is you get out of wasting your breath talking to droids.

Demonix
2009-01-30, 01:00 PM
Indeed. In fact, the only malevolent AI anywhere that can compete with HK-47 for overall coolness is GLaDOS.

Disagree. SHODAN puts them both to shame. Why settle for psycopathy when you can become a GOD?

chiasaur11
2009-01-30, 01:17 PM
Disagree. SHODAN puts them both to shame. Why settle for psycopathy when you can become a GOD?

Disturbing statement: This reminds me of the Shodan Glados slash that's been circling the internet for a while now.

Amused statement: It led to discussion of a game where the two compete for the player's affection.

Bitter statement: Sadly, it will probably never come to pass.

Talya
2009-01-30, 01:43 PM
As to HK, he was entertaining the first time you played the game. But once that novelty has worn off, the fact that he's completely useless, and all the organic characters are better (especially in the second game) quickly overrides the appeal. Besides which making most of the other characters into Jedi is far more fun than whatever it is you get out of wasting your breath talking to droids.

Query: Did you have HK-47 fully upgraded with all Baragwin droid upgrades, and a Baragwin heavy repeating blaster, as well as completing all four of his upgrade mini-quests? I find it difficult to believe you found him inferior to the fragile and incompetent meatbags that comprised the crew of the Ebon Hawk at that time--with the possible exception of the various Jedi, of course. But violence always follows the Jedi, which can provide much entertainment for an HK unit.

The amusement factor. SHODAN is not as entertaining.

Kiero
2009-01-30, 03:41 PM
Query: Did you have HK-47 fully upgraded with all Baragwin droid upgrades, and a Baragwin heavy repeating blaster, as well as completing all four of his upgrade mini-quests? I find it difficult to believe you found him inferior to the fragile and incompetent meatbags that comprised the crew of the Ebon Hawk at that time--with the possible exception of the various Jedi, of course. But violence always follows the Jedi, which can provide much entertainment for an HK unit.

For one, shooters are distinctly inferior to melee-based characters in the game (even if not as bad as in the first game). For two, dual-pistol shooters are better than rifle-users. HK loses out on both counts. He's not a patch on en-Jedi'd Mira or Atton as a shooter. He also can't whip out the healing/inspiration stuff whenever needed, or use a lightsaber when the enemy gets too close.

LibraryOgre
2009-01-30, 03:58 PM
Funny, it feels like I just had this conversation. ;-)

However, I'll say what I said there: playing a droid in SW should be a trial from a couple different angles.

1) Extreme specialization. d6SW conveyed this very well... most droids had horrible attributes (1D for almost everything), but they had great skills. In their area of specialization, they were frighteningly competent. Outside of them, they were largely useless.

2) Social factors. In the eyes of the law, droids are not people. They're not even slaves. They're equipment. Droids don't just get refused service in shady cantinas, they get summarily shut down, their memories erased, etc. because their owners misbehaved. While this can have its upside (no one pays attention to droids, because they're not people), it also means that a person who keeps his droid with him at all times is kinda like the guy who's always got his blanket... it's visible and odd.

Darth Stabber
2009-01-30, 04:04 PM
Concession: Engaging targets while you are alone is more effective in hand to hand combat.

Clarification: It should be noted that with 2 jedi or other wise melee inclined characters to back a fully upgraded HK-47 unit, The players capacity to create piles of dead meatbags is most assuredly worth the slot in your party

Statement: once fully upgraded and supplied the proper equipment, HK-47 is a strong threat and leaving the Ebon hawk with out his expert assistance would be inadvisable.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-01-30, 04:20 PM
Actually, in KotOR 2, the Exile could wipe the floor with enemies completely alone, especially by the end of the game. Stasis field & Force storm are powers to be reckoned with.

Kiero
2009-01-30, 04:40 PM
Actually, in KotOR 2, the Exile could wipe the floor with enemies completely alone, especially by the end of the game. Stasis field & Force storm are powers to be reckoned with.

Never mind the end of the game, get someone to cast Insanity and mop up the paralysed enemies. Even with my lightside Exile, I still had Kreia or Visas to do that for me.

Dogmantra
2009-01-30, 04:47 PM
I'm not too sure, since I've never played a Star wars RPG, but there's something appealing in a hero that communicates solely with beeps saving the world.

Frog Dragon
2009-01-30, 05:01 PM
Droids do seem pretty boring.
Mostly because the list of possible character concepts is kinda short:
we have either a "who am i?" inquisitive child(think "I,robot"), or a homicidal maniac/better-than-you type(like HK-47 and Skynet), or indeed a plot device(such as R2-D2 or the Terminator). Or we get an actual human character with different stats.

Although RP options are limited, any of abovementioned concepts may lead to interesting character interaction, which is actuzlly fun. Still, i don't think it's gonna last.

But hey, i wouldn't ban droids in my game: it's always good to have a little diversity in the party. even when they stop behaving droid-like(as in Darths&Droids), they are still metal guys who get blasted by ion guns and need repair instead of healing.
I disagree with the RP restrictments. I have a droid character that fits neither of those molds.
It's a wiseass. It's efficiency oriented. It can easily get annoyed at stupid things done. It's extremely intelligent. I don't think it's either an inquisitive child or a crazy psycho who thinks hes better than you yet he's still a very believable droid. I see no RP restriction.

ericgrau
2009-01-30, 05:05 PM
Ditto. R2-D2 is the true hero of the star wars trilogy. At least 4-6.

Sci-Fi robots tend to get their appeal from human traits or some relation to them. R2-D2 is a tenacious little bugger, which we can understand through the beeps thanks to C3PO's and Luke's reactions. HK-47 has a lot of bastard personality. Data from Star Trek wants to be more like humans, even though he has the extra capabilities of an android. Etc.

_Zoot_
2009-01-30, 05:17 PM
I was hoping to play a droid character in a upcoming sci-fi campaign, i really hadn't intended to make him a child like or psychopathic charter.....

I understand that some may not like droids, but i like them enough and i think that most people wouldn't feel to strongly one way or the other.....

hamishspence
2009-01-30, 05:20 PM
Bollux & Blue Max in the Han Solo Adventures were a bit different from Artoo and Threepio.

I wonder how often Star Wars has done interesting droid heroes- more heroic than Threepio and better talkers than Artoo?

Matthew
2009-01-30, 05:43 PM
We had somebody play a protocol droid; it was funny for a while, but eventually it was time for a change. I am not really that fussed about it. If somebody wants to play a droid, I would let them, but I would not give them any special consideration and I would make it clear from the start what problems might exist, just as with any other character concept.

Tohron
2009-01-30, 05:49 PM
For one, shooters are distinctly inferior to melee-based characters in the game (even if not as bad as in the first game). For two, dual-pistol shooters are better than rifle-users.

That isn't really correct. Although melee-ers can inflict damage faster that shooters, a shooter can utilize hit-and-run tactics to deal a continual barrage of shots to melee foes who can't even retaliate - without speed boosts, you will at worst be getting two rounds of shots off before they can deal an attack, giving you time to retreat farther. With Force speed or Plague, it's not even a contest.

As for pistols vs rifles/heavy weapons, Suvam's rifles and heavy weapons, fully upgraded, are definitely nastier than dual pistols.

Triaxx
2009-01-30, 06:01 PM
Droid characters? Mad love for them. We use them as minions and such for main characters. Much easier to have droids do all the heavy lifting.

As for Droid PC's? Sure. They're fun and for players like me, who don't actually like to RP if we can avoid it, playing an unsocial droid with an E-web blaster in my chest is great.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-01-30, 06:32 PM
It's a wiseass. It's efficiency oriented. It can easily get annoyed at stupid things done. It's extremely intelligent.

sounds very much like Dr.House to me))i personally wouldn't notice the difference between RPing a truly sophisticated machine and RPing a human with a metal body. so it's really your call)

That isn't really correct. Although melee-ers can inflict damage faster that shooters, a shooter can utilize hit-and-run tactics to deal a continual barrage of shots to melee foes who can't even retaliate - without speed boosts, you will at worst be getting two rounds of shots off before they can deal an attack, giving you time to retreat farther. With Force speed or Plague, it's not even a contest.

that's a matter of personal preference. blaster combat looks so much crappier in kotor than melee combat that i wouldn't go all shooty. also, melee characters just tear everyone to pieces without all the annoying running. And with Force, you don't really need guns)

Kiero
2009-01-30, 08:02 PM

As for pistols vs rifles/heavy weapons, Suvam's rifles and heavy weapons, fully upgraded, are definitely nastier than dual pistols.

Any character with Force Jump makes a mockery of attempts to stay at range. Which my Exile character usually is. Bizarrely it seems to work even with armour on.

Besides run and gun gets really boring after a short while, and as mentioned, the animations are crap.

Agrippa
2009-01-30, 08:06 PM
sounds very much like Dr.House to me))i personally wouldn't notice the difference between RPing a truly sophisticated machine and RPing a human with a metal body. so it's really your call)

This is just a bit off topic but I think you'll understand. The more I think about it the more I realize that House would be the perfect Jedi. He goes out of his way to avoid personal attachments except for Wilson, bases his actions off of pure reason instead of emotion the best he can and is focused discovering the truth more than on the wellbeing of any one individual.

True Greg hates authority, verbally mistreats everyone around him, has commited various misdomeanors and fellonies, lacks empathy for the most part, has sex with call girls, manipulates his coworkers and patients for his own gain, downloads internet porn and tortured one of his patients mostly out of spite. But why should that stop him from joining the Old Jedi Order? This would be along with his fellow Jedi Knight Jonathan Teatime and "Doctor" Thadeus Venture.

Sadly both the Doctor and Kurosaki Ichigo are too emotional and have developed far too many personal attachments (to all innocent life in the universe) to be Jedi. Most likely theu'd be Sith during the days of the Old Republic. You'd probably like to punch out George Lucas right about now. So would I.

Atamasama
2009-01-30, 08:18 PM
This is just a bit off topic but I think you'll understand. The more I think about it the more I realize that House would be the perfect Jedi. He goes out of his way to avoid personal attachments except for Wilson, bases his actions off of pure reason instead of emotion the best he can and is focused discovering the truth more than on the wellbeing of any one individual.

True Greg hates authority, verbally mistreats everyone around him, has commited various misdomeanors and fellonies, lacks empathy for the most part, has sex with call girls, manipulates his coworkers and patients for his own gain, downloads internet porn and tortured one of his patients mostly out of spite. But why should that stop him from joining the Old Jedi Order? This would be along with his fellow Jedi Knight Jonathan Teatime and "Doctor" Thadeus Venture.

Sadly both the Doctor and Kurosaki Ichigo are too emotional and have developed far too many personal attachments (to all innocent life in the universe) to be Jedi. Most likely theu'd be Sith during the days of the Old Republic. You'd probably like to punch out George Lucas right about now. So would I.
House pretends to be unattached emotionally, but you know deep down he's filled with numerous conflicting emotions. He definitely suffers from pride, he hates his father, hates himself... He'd be the Dark Side's dream candidate.

Back to droids, I consider them the same way I consider aliens in Star Wars. They are different than humans, are subject to prejudices, are often considered property (alien slaves are common at least in Imperial times), and can have advantages that make them ridiculously powerful compared to human PCs or disadvantages that make them unattractive to play. But I wouldn't bar players from playing a droid any more than I'd bar them from playing a wookiee. You just have to use your judgement. A binary load-lifter wouldn't make for a good character, nor would a hyper-intelligent rancor, but a medical droid would be as fine a character as a mon calamari.

Mando Knight
2009-01-30, 08:40 PM

Ichigo would fit perfectly with Luke's Jedi Order, though...

Tohron
2009-01-30, 08:47 PM
Any character with Force Jump makes a mockery of attempts to stay at range.

Not really. You're still getting at least 2 rounds of attacks for every attack of their's, and you can only make a single attack with force jump, whereas a blaster can be making 3+ attacks/round. A fully upgraded lightsaber isn't that much more powerful than a fully upgraded blaster.

I've solo'd the Star Forge with a blaster Jedi btw.

Mando Knight
2009-01-30, 09:00 PM
and you can only make a single attack with force jump,

Nope. Dual-Wield. Two lightsabers, two attacks. With boosted power. Add to that Force Speed and Valor, and you can usually finish off each target in a single jump + full attack, then jump to the next.

Agrippa
2009-01-30, 10:07 PM
Ichigo would fit perfectly with Luke's Jedi Order, though...

That's why I was talking about the Old Jedi Order. They'd probably take Teatime instead and then suffer the consequences. I shudder to think what the Dark Knight's Joker would have been in the days of the Old Republic. Thank God that the New Jedi Order embraces emotions and personal attachments instead of shunning them.

Talya
2009-01-30, 11:36 PM
Bah. Blasters are clumsy and random. Lightsabers are more elegant weapons, from a more civilized time.

Seriously though, if you don't cheat and load up on extra Casus Fett's heavy blaster pistols, HK-47 with a big baragwin repeater will wipe the floor with Carth and his John Woo double blaster action.

The_Snark
2009-01-31, 12:33 AM
That's why I was talking about the Old Jedi Order. They'd probably take Teatime instead and then suffer the consequences. I shudder to think what the Dark Knight's Joker would have been in the days of the Old Republic. Thank God that the New Jedi Order embraces emotions and personal attachments instead of shunning them.

Asceticism is not at all the same as emotionless sociopathy, you know. The old Jedi Order had its flaws, but it wasn't that bad.

On topic, I'm actually kind of divided. In theory, I like droid characters. In practice... they're hard to make interesting. Someone posted something about most characters falling into three basic groups, and I'd agree—only I'd define them as the introspective group (sometimes Asimov-like), the construct superiority group (all HK ripoffs, plus some more original characters), and the happens-to-be-a-droid group, where the character simply isn't any different because they're a droid. All of those can work, especially when you mix and match to ensure you're not playing a cliché... or you can just embrace the cliché; it's not like Star Wars is a bad setting for that.

A lot of this is true for aliens, too; try making four or five different characters of the same (non-human) race, and see if they feel similar. It's certainly doable, especially for the more human-like races, but for some it's hard—and it's even harder when you try to use the cultural traits you're given, rather than making a human with a funny forehead. The problem really derives from most non-human races in Star Wars being essentially humans, with a few cultural or biological gimmicks thrown in.

Ascension
2009-01-31, 12:49 AM
Although I find HK-47 amusing, I find that his popularity is precisely the problem with droid heroes. Of all the droid heroes I've encountered... I think all but one were assassin droids thinly disguised as protocol droids with at least some degree of flesh-hate worked in. And even the one remaining droid is 4th degree. Why won't anyone play a non-combat role with a droid (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/10/24/)? Or if you insist on combat, do it... indirectly. Like an R2 with levels in Saboteur who plants explosives to fight indirectly since its programming won't allow direct violence.

I like droids and I like Mandalorians in the source material, but in RPGs they have a tendency to come off as thin copies rather than full characters.

Integrated weapons and shields get kind of annoying, too, from a GM's perspective.

EDIT: I'd like to see a droid character who really deals with the fallout from a droid's immortality. The footman droids in Dark Rendezvous delved into the issue to some extent, but given that the book's main focus was generally elsewhere they didn't really get the screentime for a full exploration of the concept.

horseboy
2009-01-31, 07:07 AM
Back in the d6 era I ran an HRD (Human Replica Droid). Course, back then I was really into cyber punk and the "What makes you human?" question. One of the problems with playing droids in Star Wars is that they're not really AI's. They're more SI's (Simulated Intelligences). At some point they hit a wall of "My programming does not cover this" or C3P0's common "That [action] would violate my programming." You're always a puppet of someone else's will. If you're willing to take on that limitation then yeah, I'd let you play one, however, it's a rare player that can do it.

Knaight
2009-01-31, 09:17 AM
I know Robotic heroes can work, but the AI and SI differences would make droids harder. One of my most successful sci-fi games was set in a dystopian future, where robots are just beginning to get actual AI, and not SI, and achieving sentience. The humans meanwhile have mostly avoided personally engaging in war and such, instead building robots to fight for them, but as the robots are getting intelligent, they aren't happy about this. Then the game started with the players, a new model just out of experimental phase (post prototype, but the first model), build for high adaptability breaking out of the facility in which they were stored. As in figuring out how to knock their boxes off a conveyor belt, and sneak into a weapon room and adapt a couple guns before security robots(old SI models) showed up. Robot characters work, are fun to play, and can make for really interesting settings, but droids are more questionable.

Frog Dragon
2009-01-31, 09:22 AM

Lol I've only heard of DR.House passingly and don't really know about it. So that was not my intend :smallbiggrin: