PDA

View Full Version : [Scion] Hey, i herd u liek Demigods...

Raz_Fox
2009-01-30, 10:06 AM
To make a long story short, I'm looking at picking up a new RPG system this spring - something a bit fantastic and curious, something different from my RPG of choice, D&D. I did a bit of research, and a White Wolf RPG caught my eye - Scion. A game about demigods in the modern era, with a heavy focus on mythology, enough to catch my interest and keep it. I'm thinking about buying the rulebook, but I'm a very cautious buyer. So, I decided to turn to the Playground for answers to a few questions I have about Scion:

Does it have a good system? Easy to learn, easy to play with, that actually works? Could clever kids catch on quickly and play easily?
Is it as dark as White Wolf's WoD games, or is it a brighter setting? Is it possible to make it brighter/more idealistic?
Put bluntly, is it worth buying and playing?

Give me your opinion on the game, please! I'm interested in hearing from people who have actually played it, and can tell me how good it is. :smallsmile:

shuyung
2009-01-30, 06:35 PM
I play in a Scion game. I'd say the system is fairly easy to use. It's a Storyteller system, so if you've played one...

Setting-wise, it's Earth, with the caveat that all of different pantheons exist and like to spend quality time with mortals. In the same vein, everything else from myth and legend exists. The darkness vs. light spectrum is wholly dependent on what you introduce from myth. Stay away from Baron Samedi or Hades or the like if you want to keep things lighter.

I enjoy the game I'm playing in. I consider it worth playing and buying, but I'm interested in mythology.

Friv
2009-01-30, 07:07 PM
First warning: If your players are used to D&D, and unprepared, then they will tear Scion to shreds.

The game is profoundly rock-paper-scissors. As a rule, most of the time you're either playing to your opponents' strengths, in which case your ass will be handed to you on a silver platter, or they're playing to yours, in which case they just get flattened. There is no middle ground. If you enter a situation where everyone's strengths apply, you will have an unending stalemate.

Now, with that in mind, the game is a lot of fun, and I love the setting. But the mechanics are deceptive, because they look crunch-heavy and are, in fact, not. So if your group is willing to not try to go after mechanical advantages and to just relax and have fun, you'll have a great time. Otherwise, you'll have an unending headache that will drive you to contemplate unleashing a Titan just to have relief.

JerryMcJerrison
2009-01-30, 07:22 PM
I played a short game using it, and it was pretty fun. Gotta like a game where you can start out with a concept of "I wanna punch a jeep in half".