PDA

View Full Version : NWOD suppelment

Egiam
2009-01-30, 11:50 AM
I just started WOD. What suppelmentary New World of Darkness books do you playgrounders reccomend? I'm not talking about Changeling or Vampire, but antagonists and armory. This also includes suppelment for Supers, such as Winter Masques.

Thanks,
Egiam

Egiam
2009-01-30, 03:52 PM
Hmm... anybody?

Semidi
2009-01-30, 05:56 PM
I personally don't think Armory is worth it. Just use your imagination when coming up with weapons and run it by your storyteller.

Antagonists is OK. I personally prefer just coming up with my own abominations to wreck havoc.

My favorite supplement is "Book of Spirits" it has some good mechanics for creating a great set of antagonists. Spirits work a lot like ghosts but aren't from dead things. For instance, you can have a spirit of wrath that's causing problems, a machine spirit, a spirit of a city, a spirit of a location, a tree spirit, and ect., with all of them being engaging opponents, allies, or wild cards (expecially if you're running Mage or werewolf, but they aren't bad for Changeling and Vampire).

Second Sight isn't bad if you're into psychics.

As well, Ghost Stories and Mysterious places are good books for ready-made plots, which aren't too shabby.

Egiam
2009-01-31, 02:46 PM
Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Anyone else?

loranthis
2009-02-01, 08:25 AM
Second Sight - Psychics and magicians and some Cthulhu cultists. Very flavorful, but so many XP is needed to use cool effects.

Armory - If you want a variety of guns or a security camera or a helicopter with official stats, you will need it. Skip otherwise.

Reliquary - Low-powered magic item book. It may be interesting if you want a magic coat of invisibility or a magic glasses of nudity or a cursed blade (for a 20~30xp). If you don't want magic items on modern setting, don't buy it.

Vamp Books
VtR VII - Badass antagonists of Vampire the Requiem. Uber-powerful kinslayer assassins of the night. Stories are intriguing.

oWoD Vampire the Masquerade Player's Guide Revised Edition : It may be seem weird to suggest oWoD book, but it has informations about good character development and how to redeem bad characters.

VtR Ordo Dracul - Covenent book of psuedoscience and occult researchers. Nice settings, and more Coil of the Dragon(Remove some ill effect of Vampirism).

Bloodline books - Too many to buy. So many useless bloodline to players. Who want to play a vampire tied into a building so he can't walk outside his house?:smallfrown:?

MickJay
2009-02-01, 08:55 AM
Bloodline books - Too many to buy. So many useless bloodline to players. Who want to play a vampire tied into a building so he can't walk outside his house?:smallfrown:?

I always thought these things were either for people who already chose their bloodline (so they could get a better feel of it), or for storytellers who wanted to flesh out antagonists/npcs better. That old Baali book, for example, if you want to run players through a Baali lair, it's a great source of ideas on how to create that lair.

Clementx
2009-02-01, 10:48 AM
Asylum and Tales from the 13th Precinct are both flavorful setting books, if your stories deal with insanity or running into law enforcement (both really common consequences of dealing with hidden horrors).

Armory is really blah, since you can invent everything using the core weapon guidelines. They just did the work for you. Martial art styles are nice, though.

Emong
2009-02-01, 11:03 AM
Inferno - Rules for stating demons, demonic pacts, and a minor (I think) template for mortals that have been possessed be demons.

Antagonists - It's good for the ST, but no one else really.

War Against The Pure - Has rules for making your own shifter breeds within the Werewolf setting.

Comet
2009-02-01, 11:29 AM
Seconding Second Sight and Book of Spirits.

Second Sight because it was the most fun to read for me. And we all know WoD books are at least 70% coffee table reading material. :smallbiggrin:
Book of Spirits is good if you dont have Werewolf. Spirits are pretty central to the new WoD and this book explains them pretty well, I've been told. Also animistic spirit worlds are generally awesome.

Antagonists is pretty nifty too, but I thought it was kinda slim.

NeoVid
2009-02-04, 04:19 PM
I third those two.

My suggestions are both books that are technically setting-specific, but not really.

Damnation City: supposed to be a Vampire book, but really a guide to designing and populating a city that will be useful and interesting to run.

Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss is probably the most disturbing book in the setting. A Mage book, but works hard to at least have sidebars about how all these Abyssal manifestations would appear in the other games.

Speaking of Mage, it has a lot of great books, but Tome of the Mysteries is the only must-have, since it's basically the second core rulebook.

Egiam
2009-02-04, 06:16 PM
Thanks for posting. I have changeling and LOVE IT. What are some good suppelments for that?

Has anyone done Shadows over the UK (I think that is what it is called)?

P.S. I already have Autumn nightmares.

Warpfire
2009-02-04, 06:49 PM
I liked Winter Masques a lot, mainly because it has a bunch of new kiths as well as a couple new Court systems. You can always use more kiths. Next would probably be the latest, Night Horrors, Grim Fears. At first I wasn't that interested because it was an antagonist book, but it actually has a bunch of interesting characters and merits/tokens/etc.

Equinox Road is also pretty cool, though it looks like your group would have to be going in a fairly specific direction for you to get the most use out of it.

Semidi
2009-02-04, 07:54 PM
In terms of Changeling supplements:

I like Winter Masques (basically a Seeming and Kith book), Rites of Spring (basically the magic, contracts, and hedge book), and Lords of Summer (basically the court book). All of them are good.

My personal favorite out of them though is probably Lords of Summer because of all the court detail in it. Also, it comes with some court contracts (I specifically like the Winter Court ones because... well I play a winter court guy and sorrow-frozen heart is seriously bad-ass).

Oh and side note:

I skimmed Inferno today and it looks really cool. I think they could have even made it its own genre... But they didn't so whatever. I plan on playing a Lucifuge (from Hunter: The Vigil) demonolist soon, and the book is awesome for that.