PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Half-Vampire.

Jeivar
2009-01-30, 07:34 PM
I have a fondness for half-vampire characters like Blade and Bloodrayne, and I'd like to play a D20 version of one, but the +2 level adjustment of the official version is kind of a turn off. So I'm trying to design a less powerful one, that nevertheless packs a punch. Now, I'm not the most D20 savvy person around, so maybe higher-level nerds than myself can give me some feedback. :)

DHAMPIR/HALF-VAMPIRE

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity.

+4 on Listen, Spot, and Move Silently Checks.

+2 on Will saves vs enchantment effects.

Darkvision, up to 60 feet.

Charm Gaze: Works by making a Gaze Attack against a target within 30 feet as a Standard Action. The target is affected by Charm Monster, using the Half-Vampire's HD as caster level (Will save negates) If the creature makes a successful save, it is immune to Charm Gaze for 24 hours.

Light Sensitivity: A Half-Vampire is dazzled in bright sunlight of within the radius of a Daylight spell.

Blood Thirst: The Half-Vampire temporarily loses 1 point of Constitution for every three days that s/he goes without drinking blood from either a living or freshly slain mammal. One Constitution point drained equals one point regained by the Half-Vampire. The Half-Vampire's fangs aren't sharp enough to use in combat, but can be used to drink from helpless or sleeping creatures. The Con damage inflicted by the blood draining heals in three days for each lost point.
---------------

So, what do you think? I'm hoping this is enough of a scaling down to negate the level adjustment, especially with the Light Sensitivity and Blood Thirst weaknesses I added. The latter one in particular can make life hard for a Good-aligned Dhampir.
Do you think I could get away with adding the Scent feat?

lesser_minion
2009-01-30, 07:50 PM
I think that at the moment it's still just slightly in the +1 level adjustment range, but I would probably add in scent.

It seems like a nice idea in general, I guess.

Llama231
2009-01-30, 08:03 PM
Is this for 4e?
Or is it a 3.X template?

StoryKeeper
2009-01-30, 09:36 PM
@^ I think this is a race for 3.5

I'd say drop the skill bonuses and the Charm Gaze, and add in Scent.

Dark Vision counters Light Sensitivity
Con damage counters Double Ability Bonus

Leaves you with Scent and will save bonus. Sounds balanced for a LA+0 to me. Maybe even keep the skill bonuses or add in another small thing.

I like it and am glad someone got around to homebrewing so that I don't have to do it for myself. The half-vampire template in Libris Mortis is good, but +2 LA seems a bit unnecesarry when you could take a more barebones approach like this.

Jeivar
2009-01-31, 04:15 AM
@^ I think this is a race for 3.5

I'd say drop the skill bonuses and the Charm Gaze, and add in Scent.

Dark Vision counters Light Sensitivity
Con damage counters Double Ability Bonus

Are you saying to drop the skill bonuses and Gaze because they're overpowered, or because Scent is more useful?

As for Dark Vision countering Light Sensitivity; Does every special ability need to be countered by something? Ordinary Dwarves have Dark Vision, and they're LA+0.

But anyway, I'm glad you like my little design.

StoryKeeper
2009-01-31, 11:48 AM
Are you saying to drop the skill bonuses and Gaze because they're overpowered, or because Scent is more useful?

As for Dark Vision countering Light Sensitivity; Does every special ability need to be countered by something? Ordinary Dwarves have Dark Vision, and they're LA+0.

But anyway, I'm glad you like my little design.

Charm Gaze and Skills:
Charm gaze felt like it could go without sacrificing much flavor, and a +4 to so many skills just seemed a bit much. Maybe if you lowered the bonus to a +2? I'm thinking you put them in there to represent heightened senses and a natural sneakiness, am I right? I'd probably drop the move silently altogether, and maybe keep the others at a +2. If it's a sneaky sort, he can invest the skill points.
And yeah, scent is great for those *sniff* *sniff* "Blood" moments.

Special Abilities Being Countered:
As a rule, they don't have to be countered, but because you are aiming for a +0 LA, it helps you to be balanced for that Level Adjustment when you have detriments to counteract your benefits.
Basically, you can say "sure, he's good in the dark, but Light Sensitivity makes him less good in the light." or "Sure he has two positive ability modifiers, but his Con gets damaged unless he sticks his neck on the line (or someone else's) to feed once in a while."

Jeivar
2009-01-31, 01:08 PM
Charm Gaze and Skills:
Charm gaze felt like it could go without sacrificing much flavor, and a +4 to so many skills just seemed a bit much. Maybe if you lowered the bonus to a +2? I'm thinking you put them in there to represent heightened senses and a natural sneakiness, am I right? I'd probably drop the move silently altogether, and maybe keep the others at a +2. If it's a sneaky sort, he can invest the skill points.
And yeah, scent is great for those *sniff* *sniff* "Blood" moments.

Special Abilities Being Countered:
As a rule, they don't have to be countered, but because you are aiming for a +0 LA, it helps you to be balanced for that Level Adjustment when you have detriments to counteract your benefits.
Basically, you can say "sure, he's good in the dark, but Light Sensitivity makes him less good in the light." or "Sure he has two positive ability modifiers, but his Con gets damaged unless he sticks his neck on the line (or someone else's) to feed once in a while."

Well, I went with the extra skill points because the character is the offspring of a supernatural predator, but you're right, maybe +4 is too much.
As for Charm Gaze, I really want to leave it in, as a scaled-down version of the Vampiric Gaze power. Plus, it's useful to any class.

How about this:

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
+2 to Listen, Spot, and Move Silently
+2 on Will saves vs enchantment effects
Darkvision up to 60 feet
Light Sensitivity
Bloodthirst
Charm Gaze (DC is 10+ 1/2 level + Charisma modifier)
Scent

Plus, I'm wondering if I should have some sort of Spot roll to see if people notice the fangs. Which most people would naturally not have a good reaction to . . .

StoryKeeper
2009-01-31, 06:21 PM
Hmmm... maybe if the charm gaze was once/day? I don't know, I've seen charm type stuff abused a bit in the past, so it's hard for me to be unbiased. As for the fang thing, I'd say it would be a spot check whenever it was important enough to allow an NPC to make one, and on a success, they're disposition is a tad worse toward you.

Jeivar
2009-02-01, 03:24 PM
Hmmm... maybe if the charm gaze was once/day? I don't know, I've seen charm type stuff abused a bit in the past, so it's hard for me to be unbiased. As for the fang thing, I'd say it would be a spot check whenever it was important enough to allow an NPC to make one, and on a success, they're disposition is a tad worse toward you.

Hm. You may be right about the Charm thingie. I can drop that and still keep the flavor I want. Scent it is then.

But aren't there more people around with opinions on my little template? I'll give you all Epic-level Illusion cookies for your thoughts. :smallsmile:

Pyrusticia
2009-02-28, 05:14 AM
How about this:

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
+2 to Listen, Spot, and Move Silently
+2 on Will saves vs enchantment effects
Darkvision up to 60 feet
Light Sensitivity
Bloodthirst
Charm Gaze (DC is 10+ 1/2 level + Charisma modifier)
Scent

Plus, I'm wondering if I should have some sort of Spot roll to see if people notice the fangs. Which most people would naturally not have a good reaction to . . .

I agree, lose the Charm. Nice flavor, but too easily abused. Plus, it doesn't fit too well if you're using half-vamps like Blade as a model...charming is one thing he's not. :smallwink:

I'd go ahead and throw in the Spot check for the fangs, as well...if they are noticed (and the half-vampire can choose to deliberately show them, if desired), the following applies:

-1 stage on the reaction table
-2 modifier to using Diplomacy
+2 modifier to using Intimidate

One other thing to consider...is the race positively or negatively aligned, energy-wise? In other words, do positive spells heal, and negative harm (like most living races), or vice-versa (like all undead)? You could make a valid case for either, so it really depends on what flavor you want.

All in all, sounds good! I'll probably be borrowing it for my games. :smallsmile: