PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Brave and the Bold

WitchSlayer
2009-01-30, 08:57 PM
This show... This show...
If you want to see Plastic Man and Elongated Man being pulled in a taffy puller? You can.
You want to see Batman turned into an ape? Yup
Want to see Plastic Man shooting gold and jewels out of his mouth? Got it.
You want to see Aquaman summon a lymphocyte and ride it through Batman's blood stream? Uh-huh

I don't see how this can be anything but one of the greatest cartoons of all time.

Starscream
2009-01-30, 10:11 PM
When I first saw the trailers for this series, I was upset. I grew up on the Animated Series, which is in my opinion one of the greatest cartoons of all time. It's various spin-offs were pretty dang good as well. Well, Beyond was kind of crap.

Still, the mere fact that Plastic Man would be featured gave me pause (if ever there was a hero who needs more exposure, it's him), so I watched a couple of episodes.

And I have to say, it's pretty well done. It didn't cause me to drop to my knees and declare that "Paul Dini" was clearly a pseudonym for God like I did when I first saw Animated as a kid, but I enjoyed it. Not every episode is a masterpiece (Ted Kord could kick Jaime Reyes into next week. That is all.), but overall it's an entertaining show. That fact that some of the lesser known DC heroes get a chance in the sun along with Batman is awesome, and the animation, while jarring at first, has grown on me a bit.

I've never really understood why so many comic book readers treat the Silver Age like a utopian era, but it's nice to see that not every superhero cartoon needs to embrace the "grim 'n gritty" aesthetic to be entertaining.

Mando Knight
2009-01-30, 11:06 PM
(Ted Kord could kick Jaime Reyes into next week. That is all.)

Batman thinks so, too. :smalltongue:

This is the Batman. The one with the right gadget for 90% of everything on his utility belt, and his martial arts and Batcave for the remaining 10%.

Next week: Batman uses Green Lantern tech to defeat a guy with a purple power ring. Last week: Batman defeats Ted Kord's uncle while telling Jaime about his camaraderie with Kord. Christmas special: Batman beats up Robo-Santas with an emotionless android that seeks the meaning of Christmas.

This is Rule of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool). Batman and friends: They He Fights Crime! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyFightCrime)

KnightDisciple
2009-01-30, 11:10 PM
Batman thinks so, too. :smalltongue:

This is the Batman. The one with the right gadget for 90% of everything on his utility belt, and his martial arts and Batcave for the remaining 10%.

Next week: Batman uses Green Lantern tech to defeat a guy with a purple power ring. Last week: Batman defeats Ted Kord's uncle while telling Jaime about his camaraderie with Kord. Christmas special: Batman beats up Robo-Santas with an emotionless android that seeks the meaning of Christmas.

This is Rule of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool). Batman and friends: They He Fights Crime! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyFightCrime)

This.
And it is "grim-and-gritty" (well, Bats is). Or, at least, the over the top, rule of cool version of grim and gritty. Which makes it even better.

Hectonkhyres
2009-02-01, 11:28 PM
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, that contains Plastic Man can be anything but awesome. To say otherwise is to contradict the basic structure of the universe.

Yulian
2009-02-10, 03:13 AM
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, that contains Plastic Man can be anything but awesome. To say otherwise is to contradict the basic structure of the universe.

You've...never seen the mid-80s Plastic Man show.

Have you?

Honestly...meh. Show's not doing it for me. Maybe it's pitched too young, but Aquaman's characterization, for example, I honestly found grating.

Maybe it's just that I've grown so very tired of comic-book related stuff still being seen, to a great extent, as camp, and this is camp. Not that it's terrible, but it's as if it's taken a step backwards from what could have been a renaissance of comic-related series. We had the magnificent DCAU...then we backslid with The Batman and it's toyetic nature, now this.

It's nice to see some B-listers, yes...I mean, to actually see Kamandi on screen for the first time makes me wish the King had lived to see it...but then we get well...this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Coeloptera/batsmashballs.jpg?t=1234253346

Oh yeah...why "Funhouse"? It was obviously Superfriends-style Toyman on roids. Red Tornado in that...I'd so grown to like him in JLA lately...oh well.

- Yulian

kpenguin
2009-02-10, 03:37 AM
I, for one, like the camp. I see it as a counter to the ultra-realistic and gritty Nolanverse Batman. Both approaches to Batman have their advantages.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-10, 04:32 AM

Have you?

Honestly...meh. Show's not doing it for me. Maybe it's pitched too young, but Aquaman's characterization, for example, I honestly found grating.

Maybe it's just that I've grown so very tired of comic-book related stuff still being seen, to a great extent, as camp, and this is camp. Not that it's terrible, but it's as if it's taken a step backwards from what could have been a renaissance of comic-related series. We had the magnificent DCAU...then we backslid with The Batman and it's toyetic nature, now this.

It's nice to see some B-listers, yes...I mean, to actually see Kamandi on screen for the first time makes me wish the King had lived to see it...but then we get well...this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Coeloptera/batsmashballs.jpg?t=1234253346

Oh yeah...why "Funhouse"? It was obviously Superfriends-style Toyman on roids. Red Tornado in that...I'd so grown to like him in JLA lately...oh well.

- Yulian

I think they have a super-embargo, no Superman characters.

thubby
2009-02-10, 08:44 AM
not as good as the old animated series, but it certainly has its charms. has just enough camp to make it fun without overdoing it.
it is targeted rather young, something I'm acutely aware of at least once per episode.

TheEmerged
2009-02-10, 11:40 PM

Have you?

*snip*

- Yulian

Can't speak for the other poster, but I remember the first season of the old Plastic Man show with some fondness (the second season, with Baby Plaz, exists in that same nether region as Matrix 2/3 and Superman 3/4/Returns -- they do not exist, evidence to the contrary). Could be nostalgia-covered lenses of course.

I run into your later complaint about people still thinking it's the Silver Age all the time, Yulian. I had a lengthy discussion about Aquaman just last week in fact. "Look, $coworker, even when the SuperFriends was on the air Aquaman wasn't being depicted that way in the comics. He's actually one of the oldest superheroes, with long-standing mythic roots*. His powers haven't been limited to "breathes water, talks to fish" for nearly 20 years now."

*yes, I know the character actually started out with Sci-Fi roots, work with me here :smalltongue:

----------------
As for Brave & Bold, it comes on at a bad time for me and I've only caught two episodes -- both of the Beetle episodes, ironically. It looked like it had some charms (although I don't think I'd like what I saw of its take on the Outsiders) and doesn't deserve to be badmouthed just because it doesn't rise to the level of TAS.

Then again, I might think differently if I saw the full context of Yulian's spoiler :smallredface:

kpenguin
2009-02-10, 11:44 PM
Then again, I might think differently if I saw the full context of Yulian's spoiler :smallredface:

Check it out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxW_53efVxI)

WitchSlayer
2009-02-11, 01:43 AM
The thing is, it's not trying to be Batman: The Animated Series. It's not even really going for a Batman show. It's a team-up show. They use Batman to draw people into watching it.

JerryMcJerrison
2009-02-11, 08:57 AM
Am I the only one whose first thought was "What why the hell is Batman being voiced by Hoss Delgado? And why is that awesome?"

Hectonkhyres
2009-02-11, 06:02 PM
Am I the only one whose first thought was "What why the hell is Batman being voiced by Hoss Delgado? And why is that awesome?"
Wait... oh god. You're right.
Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.
*head kersplodes*

Innis Cabal
2009-02-11, 06:29 PM
Even more mind numbing? Oswald from The Drew Carry Show

madmotoristmonk
2009-02-11, 06:59 PM
Wait, Hos del gado? Voicing Batman? My nephew watches it and I enjoy it myself. It also gave me an excuse to finally get that series DVD of the old Animated Series, which the kid loves (seriously ask him what dark deco is and watch his eyes light up) I'll wait until he's thirteen and slip him a few issues of Knightfall, Hush (purely for the Jim Lee ashtetic) and obviously the Dark Knight Returns.

Point is, Bats is nothing short of an American icon. He's open to so many interpretations and the show is pretty much for kids given the sheer outlandishness of it. (Although we always knew he could punch out meteors, super powered megelomaniac gorillas, bowiling balls, etc)

But I will agree with the idea that some of the character interpratations came out on the annoying side of adaptation distilation. Green Arrow (blech, give me the liberal), Green Lantern (never really that big a fan anyhow), But honestly--writers, nothing you can do will ever make Aquaman cool. If Aquaman ended world hunger, sucker punched Chtulu's Pimp, and then proceded to star in a three hour long sextape with Megan Fox, Beyonce, & Selma Hayek.....he'd still be one of the most outdated heroes ever (Namor too)

Hectonkhyres
2009-02-11, 07:26 PM
But honestly--writers, nothing you can do will ever make Aquaman cool. If Aquaman ended world hunger, sucker punched Chtulu's Pimp, and then proceded to star in a three hour long sextape with Megan Fox, Beyonce, & Selma Hayek.....he'd still be one of the most outdated heroes ever (Namor too)
Growing facial hair, cutting off one of his own hands, grafting a jagged blade onto the stump, and turning into The Man With No Name marching out of the surf to cut a bloody swath through all that oppose him doesn't make one cool?

Because, in one version, that is exactly what happens.

Admittedly, he still doesn't hold a candle to The Question... but, really, who can? The things on the ends of shoelaces are called aglets and their true purpose is sinister.

Ascension
2009-02-11, 08:56 PM
And Namor has the satisfaction of knowing that even if Reed Richards is the object of Sue's love, HE will always be the object of her lust. Aquaman will never be as cool until he cuckolds Superman.

kpenguin
2009-02-25, 04:58 AM
Who's excited for Deep Cover for Batman and Game Over for Owlman? I know I am!

I'm kinda dissapointed with Brave and the Bold version of the Syndicate (the members beside Owlman seem to be simple pallete swaps of their good versions), but I am loving Red Hood as a good version of Joker I dunno about you guys, but I've never found Jokester a cool character.

Also, Golden Age Joker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iDLwSrkx4)

Tamburlaine
2009-02-25, 08:08 AM
I'm pretty sure this cartoon is the best thing to happen since Batman invented sliced bread.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/SPS9czzUk3I/AAAAAAAAFBo/4CKHQshi1sY/s400/wes_bread.jpg

endoperez
2009-02-25, 09:10 AM
I saw an episode.

In it, flying things that clearly will be more than seagulls are closing to a cruise ship. :smallsmile:

Then we see they are Pterodactyls. :smallbiggrin:

Then we see the gorillas riding them. :smallconfused:

Then the laser-gun-things. :smallamused:

By the time six pterodactyls flew away with the ship, now full of humans mutated with Gorilla Grodd's E-ray (for evolving humans into intelligent apes!)... :biggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-02-25, 10:41 AM
And Namor has the satisfaction of knowing that even if Reed Richards is the object of Sue's love, HE will always be the object of her lust. Aquaman will never be as cool until he cuckolds Superman.

Plus, Namor gets fish to obey him via violence. "What's that? you don't want to hit that Nazi on your own? Well, I'll use you as a club then."

And Brave and the Bold Aquaman's alright.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-26, 05:45 AM
The Brave and the Bold Aquaman is definitely more OUTRAGEOUS than Namor.

Dienekes
2009-02-26, 11:38 AM
I think the line that best describes this show

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Cause I'm seeing gorilla's riding pterodactyls with harpoon guns, steeling a boat."
"It's Gorilla Grodd"
"It's messed up, is what it is!"

Yes, it's messed up. Perfectly.

Tamburlaine
2009-02-26, 06:16 PM
It's been said before that batman needs to strike the right balance between light and dark, between camp and grittiness, in order to be at his best. I think with The Dark Knight trilogy being, well, dark, that The Brave And The Bold being lighter and more campy strikes the perfect balance for Batman bat-brilliance.

And there was much rejoicing.

Mando Knight
2009-02-26, 06:29 PM
The show introduced me to Mogo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogo). That is enough. :smalltongue:

Dienekes
2009-02-26, 06:35 PM
Technically I'll put my vote that I'm way more interested in the dark and gritty Batman, if he exists alone I'd be content.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy a well done campy version when it comes along.

Yulian
2009-02-26, 10:22 PM
The show introduced me to Mogo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogo). That is enough. :smalltongue:

You didn't know?

Well, I guess...Mogo Doesn't Socialize after all...

- Yulian

Mando Knight
2009-02-26, 10:51 PM
You didn't know?

Well, I guess...Mogo Doesn't Socialize after all...

Didn't read much Green Lantern prior. Actually, most of my exposure to the DC universe comes from the DCAU...

kpenguin
2009-02-26, 11:07 PM
Dude, Mogo's only the tip of the iceberg. The Green Lantern Corps also contains a sentient math equation and a smallpox virus.

chiasaur11
2009-02-26, 11:24 PM
Dude, Mogo's only the tip of the iceberg. The Green Lantern Corps also contains a sentient math equation and a smallpox virus.

All created by Alan Moore.

Man did more than Watchmen. In fact, he created all three of those guys in one backup.

TheEmerged
2009-02-26, 11:43 PM

Wait, Mogo showed up on Brave And Bold? And nobody told me!

BTW, that old "Green Lantern Corp" story was one of the best ever. I may not be a fan of much that Alan Moore has done but I *love* that one.

Mando Knight
2009-02-26, 11:54 PM
Wait, Mogo showed up on Brave And Bold? And nobody told me!

It's one of the newer episodes, the one where the Green Lanterns on Oa are defeated by Despero and Batman uses an exoskeleton powered by Hal Jordan's power ring (within which most of the Green Lanterns are trapped) to team up with Sinestro, Guy Gardner, and Gnort; and Despero then dominates Mogo and intends to Colony Drop it on the planet with the highest concentration of super-beings.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-27, 03:54 AM
Batman isn't even really that funny. He's more of a comic foil for the rest of his cast, although he does say a dry one liner once in a while.

Ascension
2009-02-27, 04:00 AM
It's one of the newer episodes, the one where the Green Lanterns on Oa are defeated by Despero and Batman uses an exoskeleton powered by Hal Jordan's power ring (within which most of the Green Lanterns are trapped) to team up with Sinestro, Guy Gardner, and Gnort; and Despero then dominates Mogo and intends to Colony Drop it on the planet with the highest concentration of super-beings.

That is an epic-sounding episode summary. Might have to actually check this thing out after all.

Vic_Sage
2009-02-27, 04:23 AM
I can't belive it, its OUTRAGEOUS that somone wouldn't like B&tB Aquaman. Did you not hear his tales of adventure nor the time he wore an eyepatch to disguise himself so he could go on that pirate busting adventure?

Haven
2009-02-27, 05:28 AM
That is an epic-sounding episode summary. Might have to actually check this thing out after all.

You definitely have to.

Although G'Nort is annoying beyond all reason. You can tell they were out to see if they could outdo Jar-Jar Binks, and they succeeded, but just because it was obviously on purpose doesn't make it much less annoying. Quite the opposite really.

Enlong
2009-02-27, 02:36 PM
Oh yes, I loved the Green Lantern Corp. episode. I really think I'm gonna have to do some catching up on the GL mythos, because the Corp is so cool. I mean, seriously, a planet as a Green Lantern? You don't get any cooler then that.

Of course, another cool one was the one with Merlin, mainly because of the end.
Batman and Green Arrow draw Excalibur. Then Batman passes Excalibur to Green Arrow who fires it like an arrow at Morgan LaFey!
You don't get much more rediculously awesome like that. Except for Batman punching out a meteor.

But I am really looking forward to the alternate dimension episode tonight.

edit:
Yanno, if they wanted to make the reveal of the alternate reality guys a surprise, they shouldn't have spoiled that with those commercials all week.

Dienekes
2009-02-28, 02:17 AM
wait... people dislike Aquaman? How?

chiasaur11
2009-02-28, 02:24 AM
Oh yes, I loved the Green Lantern Corp. episode. I really think I'm gonna have to do some catching up on the GL mythos, because the Corp is so cool. I mean, seriously, a planet as a Green Lantern? You don't get any cooler then that.

Of course, another cool one was the one with Merlin, mainly because of the end.
Batman and Green Arrow draw Excalibur. Then Batman passes Excalibur to Green Arrow who fires it like an arrow at Morgan LaFey!
You don't get much more rediculously awesome like that. Except for Batman punching out a meteor.

But I am really looking forward to the alternate dimension episode tonight.

edit:
Yanno, if they wanted to make the reveal of the alternate reality guys a surprise, they shouldn't have spoiled that with those commercials all week.

Heck, there's a Green Lantern from a species with no concept of colors or light.

Rot Lop Fan, the F-Sharp Bell.

Even has his own custom oath.

Ascension
2009-02-28, 02:27 AM

What, you expect children to remember a commercial they watched last week? They're like goldfish with their memory spans, aren't they?

:smallwink:

Enlong
2009-02-28, 02:31 AM
wait... people dislike Aquaman? How?

Superfriends, that's how.

I like Red Hood. He's a perfect example of the "what if" story. Though I do wonder how he sees out of that mask.
Wait, let me rephrase that.

I think Red Hood is a pretty cool guy. Eh fights Owlman and doesn't afraid of anything.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-28, 05:09 AM
I love Red Hood's voice, can't wait to see how the actor pulls off the Joker. He did play Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Dad, Peppermint Larry AND Illidan Stormrage, after all.

Dienekes
2009-02-28, 10:41 AM
Superfriends, that's how.

I will not claim that the normal Aquaman isn't, well, pathetic. But the one in Brave and the Bold is just so amusing.

Haven
2009-02-28, 11:40 AM
Wow, that fight between Owlman and Batman at the beginning was the best action sequence in the whole show so far. It was amazing.

And, man, only this show could get away with "It's like looking into a funhouse mirror...of evil!"

Enlong
2009-02-28, 12:44 PM
I love Red Hood's voice, can't wait to see how the actor pulls off the Joker. He did play Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Dad, Peppermint Larry AND Illidan Stormrage, after all.

Here's a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJx1rsCF7fo) quick peek. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SkNX5Ko6A&NR=1) Man, after seeing The Dark Knight, its real wierd to see a Joker who isn't frickin' terrifying.

I will not claim that the normal Aquaman isn't, well, pathetic. But the one in Brave and the Bold is just so amusing.
Oh, I know (or I assume, haven't yet seen his episode), but Superfriends kind of built up an "Aquaman is lame" stigma that he's having trouble shaking, even with awesome incarnations like the one in this show or in JLU.

Mando Knight
2009-02-28, 12:58 PM
Here's a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJx1rsCF7fo) quick peek. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SkNX5Ko6A&NR=1) Man, after seeing The Dark Knight, its real wierd to see a Joker who isn't frickin' terrifying.

Ooh! What's this one do?

...an entire wing? For moi?

MCerberus
2009-02-28, 08:16 PM
I just managed to catch an episode, and I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. It's a good break from the current crop of "everything sucks I hate being a hero" without being Adam West cheesy. I can see why people compare this to The Animated Series because it's good enough to invite a comparison (even if the bar is pretty high).

Sometimes it's good to just have crime fighting and one-liners. Hopefully it can shove The Batman out of my memory completely *shudder*.

alchemyprime
2009-03-03, 12:25 PM
Okay, in the Injustice Syndacate episode (Deep COver for Batman, with the Red Hood) did anyone else notice these little bits:

Don't read without seeing first. Otherwise its not as funny.

B:TBATB Was designated Earth 23, which before CoIE and after 52, there still is no designated one. I think we found it!

Earth 161 was a zombie planet. Nice poke at Marvel Zombies in my opinion. (For non-Marvel fans, normal Marvel is 616. DC is prone to do this with bigger numbers, and Marvel uses huge numbers to tease DC for having 1, 2, 3, 11, etc.)

Yup, I love the Brave and the Bold.

Enlong
2009-03-03, 12:41 PM
Oh man, I just saw the one with Aquaman and the Atom. This version of Aquaman is just... ridiculously awesome, old chum. Huzzah!

sealemon
2009-03-03, 01:47 PM
I really didn't want to like this series. I'm of the old school, BTAS...um, school, and I really expected this to be like that steaming plate of crap otherwise known as That Stoopid Kripto Cartoon.

But yeah, this is a pretty good series, with some (actually several) moments of awesome.

Don't read without seeing first. Otherwise its not as funny.

B:TBATB Was designated Earth 23, which before CoIE and after 52, there still is no designated one. I think we found it!

Earth 161 was a zombie planet. Nice poke at Marvel Zombies in my opinion. (For non-Marvel fans, normal Marvel is 616. DC is prone to do this with bigger numbers, and Marvel uses huge numbers to tease DC for having 1, 2, 3, 11, etc.)

Oh, yeah. I really liked that shout out as well.

Also, I'm enjoying the campy version of Aquaman (Like the Batman, Aquaman is long overdue for a bit of camp), and I LIKE the way Red Tornado's arms transform into turbines in order to produce tornadoes. Cool stuff.

Enlong
2009-03-18, 08:39 PM
I liked the recent one a lot. Mopey Aquaman is just funny, and then after he gets better, we get more over the top awesome. How can Batman keep up with the stuff he's done so far in this series? by pulling in Earth's moon from lightyears away to cause an eclipse of an alien sun and halt the alien superweapon, that's how!

chiasaur11
2009-03-18, 10:26 PM
I liked it too. Opener was a tad disappointing though. I guess no Question will ever again reach the heights of JLU.

Oh well.

Enlong
2009-03-18, 10:29 PM
I liked it too. Opener was a tad disappointing though. I guess no Question will ever again reach the heights of JLU.

Oh well.

"The plastic tips on the ends of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."

chiasaur11
2009-03-18, 10:59 PM
"The plastic tips on the ends of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."

Topically applied fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay! It does render teeth detectable by spy satellite!

Jayngfet
2009-03-18, 11:16 PM
While I was put off by his beard(combined with the swimsuit), I must say if Justice League aquaman was neon genesis evangaleon of aquamen, this aquaman is the gurren lagann of aquaman.

...Yeah, I don't get where I'm going with this.

Enlong
2009-03-18, 11:17 PM
While I was put off by his beard(combined with the swimsuit), I must say if Justice League aquaman was neon genesis evangaleon of aquamen, this aquaman is the gurren lagann of aquaman.

...Yeah, I don't get where I'm going with this.

Evangelion Aquaman?

OUTRAGEOUS!

WitchSlayer
2009-03-19, 01:04 AM
This weeks episode has Batman in an alternate costume and teams up with Etrigan back in the 19th century.

Enlong
2009-03-19, 01:08 AM
This weeks episode has Batman in an alternate costume and teams up with Etrigan back in the 19th century.

Well, maybe Etrigan will get some better characterization. All I really got from his last appearance was "huh. Less foreboding then the JLU incarnation" and "hey, he rhymes!"

Haven
2009-03-19, 01:13 AM

I think he probably could have, if they'd given him more to do than two lines or so of dialogue, both of which were based on emphasizing the word "Question"...

Sad!Aquaman was just so unnatural, and oddly affecting. But then watching him punch out bad guys in boredom, and then start to smile a little in the middle of the fight...and then his triumphant return at the end, where he actually gets to come up with the plan...that was glorious.

Otherwise the episode was kinda "meh". The Gordanians were gloriously saturday-morning-cartoon-y, though.

WitchSlayer
2009-03-19, 03:41 AM
Well, maybe Etrigan will get some better characterization. All I really got from his last appearance was "huh. Less foreboding then the JLU incarnation" and "hey, he rhymes!"

The rhyming is really a clincher for me, as they do it in almost all his comic book appearances. And as for the Question, I wouldn't be surprised if they made him less like the conspiracy theorist Question that they made up for JLU, and more like either Objectivist Question or Zen Question.

chiasaur11
2009-03-19, 09:35 AM
The rhyming is really a clincher for me, as they do it in almost all his comic book appearances. And as for the Question, I wouldn't be surprised if they made him less like the conspiracy theorist Question that they made up for JLU, and more like either Objectivist Question or Zen Question.

Which, don't get me wrong, would be swell. Just, you know, less swell.

Also, in his first appearance, he didn't do much.

Haven
2009-03-19, 01:31 PM

Okay, if we get Zen!Question I'd be happy. Come to think of it, that's probably what's gonna happen, because it's very much in the spirit of "anyone who's been animated before gets done-over in one of their other interpretations", plus it makes this yin-yang obsessed guy a bit more sensible as an opponent for him (assuming that he is, in fact, going to show up later, which makes sense since, unlike everyone else who's appeared, he got away).

WitchSlayer
2009-03-20, 11:05 PM
Today's Brave and the Bold was pure, undiluted awesome in my eyes.

Nevrmore
2009-03-20, 11:40 PM
"Aww, he wants a hug."

"'He' is not hugging you. He is merely interpreting you as a foreign body to be surrounded and destroyed."

"Sure feels like a hug to me! And since we found you in Batman's blood stream, I think I'll call you...Platelet!"

"That's a lymphocyte."

Honestly I usually don't go for superhero series, but this one has an irresistible charm that makes me keep coming back for more.

Enlong
2009-03-21, 12:38 AM
Today's Brave and the Bold was pure, undiluted awesome in my eyes.

It had Sherlock Holmes fighting with a sword he keeps in his cane. That alone would have made the episode for me. Holmes unflappably reacting to demons, a soul-stealing criminal, and pulling Batman through time? The flawless sherlock scan used to deduce Batman's status as a crimefighter? Batman going to Hell and back to stop today's supervillain? All just icing. :smallamused:

WitchSlayer
2009-03-21, 01:36 AM
It had Sherlock Holmes fighting with a sword he keeps in his cane. That alone would have made the episode for me. Holmes unflappably reacting to demons, a soul-stealing criminal, and pulling Batman through time? The flawless sherlock scan used to deduce Batman's status as a crimefighter? Batman going to Hell and back to stop today's supervillain? All just icing. :smallamused:
That must be some thick icing.

Enlong
2009-03-21, 01:41 AM
That must be some thick icing.

The icing is made out of cake.

HolderofSecrets
2009-03-21, 02:44 PM
The icing is made out of cake.

Well what do you know, the cake is a lie.

Haven
2009-03-21, 07:06 PM
I think someone on the writing staff just really didn't like Sherlock Holmes. I can understand him not getting the anagram, because he didn't know about Etrigan. But Holmes doesn't have a need to prove himself, certainly not against an unknown like Batman. He's content to let others come to erroneous conclusions, and when he finds someone who matches his wits he's glad about it!

Also: "You'll find my reflexes as sharp as my mind!" *Seconds later, gets brained by Craddock's cane*

That said, it was refreshing to see him drawn not wearing a deer hunting cloak. And the scene where Batman's getting sent home was oddly heartwarming:

Sherlock: "How did you really deduce my identity?"

Batman: "Everyone knows who you are. You're the world's greatest detective."

Enlong
2009-03-21, 07:09 PM
I think someone on the writing staff just really didn't like Sherlock Holmes. I can understand him not getting the anagram, because he didn't know about Etrigan. But Holmes doesn't have a need to prove himself, certainly not against an unknown like Batman. He's content to let others come to erroneous conclusions, and when he finds someone who matches his wits he's glad about it!

Also: "You'll find my reflexes as sharp as my mind!" *Seconds later, gets brained by Craddock's cane*

That said, it was refreshing to see him drawn not wearing a deer hunting cloak. And the scene where Batman's getting sent home was oddly heartwarming:

Sherlock: "How did you really deduce my identity?"

Batman: "Everyone knows who you are. You're the world's greatest detective."

What about the thing where he finds Craddock's hideout based on the mud in the wheel tracks? I thought that was pretty cool. Also, the fact that they gave Homes a sword-cane.

Shadowbane
2009-03-22, 11:20 PM
Wait... oh god. You're right.
Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.
*head kersplodes*

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this reaction.

WitchSlayer
2009-03-24, 06:11 PM
Bad news, everyone. No new Batman: The Brave and the Bold until May.

Yulian
2009-03-24, 10:51 PM

And why was Holmes an abusive jackass toward Watson? Seriously, the "dumb Watson" characterization never ceases to grate on me.

And which writer is gay for Gentleman Ghost? Lot of Craddock in this show already.

Etrigan had, essentially, no characterization or personality whatsoever. He was just Blood's "win button". Often, they're at cross purposes. Heck, Blood barely had a personality, either.

Meh. Just not doing for it for me. I probably won't go back to watching it after the hiatus. Oh well, 'least I gave it a few episodes.

- Yulian

Dienekes
2009-03-25, 01:30 AM
Just saw last episode.

It was amusing, but I think it was one of the lowest of the bunch.

I thought Holmes as an abusive jackass to Watson was actually pretty funny, and I'm disappointed it's looking like Gentleman Ghost is becoming a main villain. He didn't seem as interesting to me as some of the others.

Enlong
2009-03-25, 02:21 AM
Just saw last episode.

It was amusing, but I think it was one of the lowest of the bunch.

I thought Holmes as an abusive jackass to Watson was actually pretty funny, and I'm disappointed it's looking like Gentleman Ghost is becoming a main villain. He didn't seem as interesting to me as some of the others.

... Gentleman Ghost becoming a main villain... another villain who, despite being in the open, explicitly was not captured...

... Gentleman Ghost + Equinox team-up?

kpenguin
2009-03-25, 02:23 AM
I want a B'wana Beast main team-up episode.