PDA

View Full Version : Will Belkar fulfill his pledge?

magic9mushroom
2009-01-30, 10:18 PM
Was rereading OotS, and noticed something interesting.

Specifically, when Elan is captured by the bandits, Belkar's reason for going after him is:

"If anyone is going to earn XP from him, it's going to be me."

So, is Belkar going to make good on that pledge?

Kish
2009-01-30, 10:20 PM
Considering Elan is going to have a happy ending, and being betrayed and killed by another member of the Order wouldn't qualify, I'd say that's an almost definite "no."

Ozymandias9
2009-01-30, 10:30 PM
Well, his happy ending is also a good indication that no one else will earn XP by killing Elan, so technically, yeah, Belkar's statment will likely hold true.

magic9mushroom
2009-01-30, 11:43 PM
Considering Elan is going to have a happy ending, and being betrayed and killed by another member of the Order wouldn't qualify, I'd say that's an almost definite "no."

Resurrection?

Witrana
2009-01-30, 11:47 PM
Well, his happy ending is also a good indication that no one else will earn XP by killing Elan, so technically, yeah, Belkar's statment will likely hold true.

Belkar isn't getting a happy ending. He's gonna die.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-31, 02:36 AM
To be fair, Belkar would probably class going to the Abyss as a happy ending if he's as powerful as he is at the minute, which seems to be how the afterlife works in OotS (admittedly, the fact that there are significantly more powerful creatures then Belkar will probably mean it won't be happy for him for a few 100 tears at least). I don't really think his comment was a pledge either (he was probably just saying it due to being obsessed with gaining Exps.)

tcrudisi
2009-01-31, 10:03 AM
Belkar isn't getting a happy ending. He's gonna die.

Who's to say you both can't be wrong? Here's an example:
Elan is big on stories. This has all been an epic tale for him. So what if he's able to save Haley by sacrificing himself to the BBEG, while defeating the BBEG at the same time? Elan dies, but does so sacrificing himself for both Haley and the entire world. In my eyes, that would classify as a happy ending.

Oops. I was supposed to tie that in to Belkar killing him, wasn't I? Okay, let's say things get sped up very quickly. They are fighting the BBEG (perhaps the MitD) and Belkar gets dominated. Elan is able to do what I said above, except instead of it being the MitD that kills him, it's Belkar. Belkar gets to kill Elan, Elan dies while Haley holds him in her arms and tells him that she's pregnant and gets his happy ending. Belkar meanwhile, took enough damage that his Barbarian rage wears off, and he goes into negative hit points. He realizes that he killed Elan and dies a happy death.

I realize it's a little bit of a stretch. All I'm doing is trying to remind people that happy endings do not mean surviving. And Belkar could very well have a happy ending, as I outlined above.

Please people - don't interpret death to mean "sad" and life to be "happy." It's not always true.

Jeivar
2009-01-31, 10:16 AM
Well . . . on the issue of Elan's happy ending, and the unreliable nature of prophecies . . .

Has anyone considered that maybe Elan just goes to a massage parlor . . . ?

Z-dan
2009-01-31, 10:18 AM
I stick to my original theory- that Elan's 'happy ending' to the story was concerning his story-arc and not the epic story as a whole... therefore the happy ending was finally getting together with Haley. Though as said before me, he could see it as a happy ending even if he did die- so it's still feasible for Belkar to be the one that kills him