PDA

View Full Version : Something I don't understand

TheBlackArcher
2009-01-31, 05:21 AM
Well, the Oracle dropped numerous hints about Belkar's death and everyone at the moment seems to think V will die but why would the Oracle not have said anything about V's death if it happens even earlier than Belkar's. I think the chances of V dieing are very slim.

Krinn
2009-01-31, 05:30 AM
Roy died even earlier, but the oracle didn't talk about it either

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-31, 05:40 AM
The "as for the Elf" comment the Oracle made before he was killed could have been an attempt to blame Belkar for V's death in the future (if you're clutching at straws, you could argue that Belkar is partially responsble for V feeling as though his/her magic is useless when you look back to when V was trying to scry on Haley).

Kaytara
2009-01-31, 06:10 AM
The "as for the Elf" comment the Oracle made before he was killed could have been an attempt to blame Belkar for V's death in the future (if you're clutching at straws, you could argue that Belkar is partially responsble for V feeling as though his/her magic is useless when you look back to when V was trying to scry on Haley).

There's an even better way to pin anything bad happening to V on Belkar: the messenger birds.
After they're done dining, Haley says to Belkar "If you see any more of those birds, let me know". This implies that while Haley obviously did the shooting (based on the arrows), Belkar was the one who spotted them and is thus at least partially responsible for the failure of V's spell.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-31, 06:28 AM
I'd forgotten about that. It would fit considering how much of a stretch Belkar "causing the death" of Windstriker was (the explanation made sense for both Roy and Miko due to Belkar's actions directly contributing to their deaths).

Assassin89
2009-01-31, 09:02 AM
For Belkar causing the deaths of those five he mentioned, a more complete answer would be:
You kill one directly, one will be in Celestia, but not dead, and for three you will directly contribute to their deaths. Sure the Oracle would still die, but Belkar would not ask for a refund.

LuisDantas
2009-01-31, 09:31 AM
Roy is very much dead.

Likely to be ressurrected eventually, but quite dead all the same.

Optimystik
2009-01-31, 01:05 PM
Roy died even earlier, but the oracle didn't talk about it either

/thread

Even if he'd seen ALL their deaths, he'd still be more likely to mention Belkar's than anyone else due to the racial hatred.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-31, 03:07 PM
The foreshadowing is obvious as well. We see Belkar going from the lowest low (Mark of Justice) to a new high (being able to cause mayhem without getting in trouble.) V, however, is undergoing the opposite (From being to most powerful member in the party to being a complete wreck who may or may not become evil at this point.) Somethings gonna happen when these two come back together, and if V goes evil, we can expect it won't be good.

hamishspence
2009-01-31, 03:09 PM
Technically its gnomes and fey, not halflings, that kobolds despise. Halflings come close behind though, either that or OOTS readjusts the enmities.

Optimystik
2009-01-31, 03:10 PM
Just remember: V's not at his highest point yet. :smallamused:

Whether the dragon snacks on crunchy elf right now or not, we haven't seen the last of him.

@ Hamish: Hard to judge with only three halflings given extensive dialog in the strip, but I'd say it does given Yikyik and Belkar's instantaneous and mutual dislike (he calls the kobold "freakshow" and they end up brawling even before the 'stab of opportunity' bit) and it would explain also his attitude towards the Oracle. But then, that could just be Belkar.

Dentarg
2009-01-31, 03:33 PM
I believe in the Oracle's defense, I guess he could just not have mentioned it because it didn't seem like it'd be important to the party, also why should he say everything that's going to happen? Doesn't that ruin a good fraction of the storyline?

- Dentarg

Optimystik
2009-01-31, 04:47 PM
I believe in the Oracle's defense, I guess he could just not have mentioned it because it didn't seem like it'd be important to the party, also why should he say everything that's going to happen? Doesn't that ruin a good fraction of the storyline?

- Dentarg

That was my point exactly - he could have seen all of their deaths, but only felt compelled to mention Belkar's because of his intense dislike. His very curt prediction and "Next!" seem to jive with that outlook.

Of course, his dislike doesn't have to be racially motivated; it could just be because he saw his later death at Belkar's hands.

Lazy Fat Man
2009-01-31, 06:51 PM
I think The Oracle mentions only Belkar because the other deaths will be temporary, while belkar's will be the eternal kind of death.

Actually I believe the Oracle said "He will draw his last breath ever", which does not preclude undeath of some kind. Or being turned into a fish. :smalltongue:

LuisDantas
2009-01-31, 07:03 PM
Actually I believe the Oracle said "He will draw his last breath ever", which does not preclude undeath of some kind. Or being turned into a fish. :smalltongue:

Fishes breathe water, so yes, it does preclude becoming a fish :)

EyethatBinds
2009-01-31, 07:38 PM
If the oracle just told them everything that happened from their visit until they all die it would be needlessly messianic and would spoil most of the story. Also, he's make a lot less money.

Lazy Fat Man
2009-01-31, 07:43 PM
Boop! I knew I was going to get flack for that fish comment. My understanding is that breathing ,when referring to organisms, requires inhaling and exhaling of air, which, also in my understanding, require lungs and a diaphragm. But I make no claims to be an expert in the English language, so I will withdraw my fishy comment. :smallsmile:

Pun intetended, You made me withdraw my comment I attack with vicious puns!

Sonata Arctica
2009-01-31, 08:08 PM
"As for the elf", Belkar was responsible for Roy's death. That led to Haley staying behind at Azure City. Which led to those failed attempts to scry on Haley that led to V's departure from the group. And now that he/she is alone, the dragon kills him/her.

Not that V. wouldn't die were the group altogether now, probably this dragon would kill the entire Order of The Stick, but this qualifies to me as much as Belkar killing Roy.

Just a thesis =P

factotum
2009-02-01, 02:45 AM
The simple answer to the OP is this: why should the Oracle have dropped hints about V's death? He's only been in about four comics, he's not going to drop hints about every single possible thing that might happen in the future! For instance, he never dropped a single hint that Azure City was going to fall to Xykon's army, did he?

David Argall
2009-02-01, 04:16 AM
"As for the elf", Belkar was responsible for Roy's death. That led to Haley staying behind at Azure City. Which led to those failed attempts to scry on Haley that led to V's departure from the group. And now that he/she is alone, the dragon kills him/her.

Not that V. wouldn't die were the group altogether now, probably this dragon would kill the entire Order of The Stick, but this qualifies to me as much as Belkar killing Roy.

Essentially this theory amounts to saying that no matter what happens, V will eventually die, and Belkar will, one way or another, be a cause of that happening. This is true, and true no matter what the actual future is, which makes the prediction absolutely worthless. We can not predict from it whether V will live or die in the current situation, or in any other situation.