PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Upgrading My Video Card - Please Help, Oh PC Hardware ExpertsitP!

DrowVampyre
2009-01-31, 06:44 AM
Ok, so after having run my first raid in WoW tonight at an abysmal <5 fps in boss fights, I think, even with my limited budget, I have no choice but to upgrade something. Currently, I'm running a Gateway GT5268E system, the only additions being a GeForce 7300GT graphics card and a memory boost to 4GB, running Vista 32-bit Home Premium. The processor is a Core 2 Duo E6300.

That said, the thing that I think needs the biggest upgrade is the video card. I was looking at this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127399) one, but I don't know how good it is...or if my power supply can handle it. I have no problem upgrading my power supply if needed, but I don't know anything about which to use, what to look for, etc., and I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible because I really don't have money to blow - I was trying to hold off with this system long enough to save up enough to put together a whole new, good system...

So...does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about what to do here? Is that a good video card? Is it too good to actually notice much on the rest of my system?

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-31, 07:52 AM
My friend plays WoW, and his computer runs a GF 6, I think, with <3GB RAM, and a Pentium 4 processor. It's handled everything WoW's thrown at it with a minimum of lag. Perhaps you have background processes running, or your settings are too high, because with your system you shouldn't be getting less than, say, 15fps.

DrowVampyre
2009-01-31, 08:03 AM
Really? I don't know what it could be...I just checked my processes, and in total there's like...~6% CPU usage aside from WoW. Only programs I run with it are my antivirus (in gamer mode so most everything is off), AIM, and keyboard, mouse, and gamepad control stuff (and of course things like my audio card).

And my display settings aren't super high - resolution is at 1200x800 (which is what my desktop is at), and most everything is at minimum - spell detail is like 2 spots from highest because you need it to see some of the boss things, and texture detail is at high (it's high or low, but I tried low and didn't notice much improvement). Specular lighting is off, shadows are low, weather detail low, ground effect low, view distance medium...nothing's at highest. Normally I get 25-50 fps, but in those boss raids I was at like 2...

Erloas
2009-01-31, 10:49 AM
The 7300 is not a very good card, its a multi-media based card that is about 3 generations old now. As for the other person running a 6XXX series card, well the 6800 cards are a lot better, and the 6600 cards are about the same as the 7300.

One thing that is pretty obvious when dealing with this sort of thing is that everyones definition of "runs fine" is completely different. Especially when you don't know what sort of settings they are running at or what sort of situtions they are in when playing.

The 4650 and 4670 are very good budget gaming cards, in fact I bought the 4650 for my step-brother to play WoW and he said it made a world of difference in absolutely everything he did in the game (which didn't surprise me at all).

As for the power supply, it should run on a decent 350W power supply, and a mediocre or poor 400-450W supply. Not sure what Gateway uses, my aformentioned stepbrothers computer was an Acer (who now owns Gateway) and they used a good brand of PSU, but it was only 250W so it wouldn't run it and I had to upgrade that as well. You can find the information for your power supply by opening the case and looking at it, all the relivent information should be put on the side where it can be read with the case open and not having to remove anything. Look for the total supply power, the brand and the power on the 12V line (either 12V at X Amps max or total of X Watts to the 12V line).
The 46XX series cards don't require a secondary power input, they get all their power from the PCI-E slot, so you don't have to worry about the power supply having any PCI-E power cables (however if you buy a new one they almost all come with it and its not a bad idea to have for future upgrades anyway if you do end up replacing the PSU)

DrowVampyre
2009-01-31, 05:48 PM
Ok, I'll take a look later on today. I think it's a 300w power supply (why do they insist on squeaking by instead of giving enough for upgrades? >_<) but I'm not entirely sure.

What brand and specs, aside from 400-450w, should I look for in a power supply?

Crispy Dave
2009-01-31, 07:28 PM
try this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034) card it should be fine with your power supply. Also its nice and cheap.

Milanius
2009-01-31, 07:50 PM
What brand and specs, aside from 400-450w, should I look for in a power supply?Thermaltake, Chieftec, OCZ, Zalman... and get at least a 500W power supply.