PDA

View Full Version : A 4th edition Half-Elf Rogue/Paladin build help

realbombchu
2009-01-31, 10:50 AM
Can you give me an effective build using just the Player's Handbook that combines these two classes into a detective-like character? I want him to be an unmarked Medani inquisitive from the city of Sharn. He's also going to be a lawful good member of the Puritan sect of the Church of the Silver Flame, although this may change as time goes on.

I'm not too picky about the details of the build, but I would prefer artful dodger over brutal scoundrel, and training in the skills Insight and Perception are vital, regardless of how you obtain them.

I don't need all 30 levels, just one through ten, if you want to help me out. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the new version, and I've never been good at strategy anyway. Thank you!

Oh, and if you could recommend a paragon path and/or epic destiny, that would be great, but not required.

kamuishirou
2009-01-31, 11:09 AM
I don't have everything here, as I'm at work, but might I recommend multi-classing Ranger instead of Rogue. You'd be able to go Strength build with Paladin and take the Ranger multi-class feat, which can give you Perception.

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-31, 11:39 AM
Okay, I would first off take Rogue as your base class. This'll give you most of skills you want on your character.
Multiclass Paladin is one of the better ones, IMHO. Once they're marked by Divine Challenge, you can maintain it by constantly engaging them.

This would work better with a Drow or Halfling, for Cha + Dex, but Half-Elf may be serviceable.

I think you'll want (at level 1):

18 DEX
14 CHA (+2 Racial for 16)
11 CON (+2 Racial for 13)
10 STR
8 INT
10 WIS

If you feel you cannot afford 18 DEX for RolePlaying reasons, then you can take 16 DEX, and pump up your WIS and INT as necessary.

It goes without saying that any power swaps you take will be from CHA-paladins. You won't have the STR to pull off anything else.

Feats:
Level 1: Multiclass Paladin
Level 2: Toughness (for a bit of an HP boost)
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency Parrying Dagger (if you're marking stuff, you'll need the AC boost)
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting (for Two-Weapon Defence)
Level 8: Two-Weapon Defence (For the +1 AC/Ref)
Level 10: Action Surge (PHB) - Human Feat (for Sneak Attack rerolls on Action Points)

I recommend Daggers (and later some Parrying Daggers) for your weapons, for the +1 ATK bonus.

Paragon Path: The Swashbuckler of Martial Power (the target of my mark grants CA to all my allies? I get to run around taunting enemies? Yes Please!) is my first choice for your build, but if you don't have MP than Master Infiltrator isn't bad.

Epic Destiny: Eternal Seeker (for extra Paladin Powers and for picking up other neat stuff).

That's my 2 cents.