PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Bats as Player Characters--Help!

LordZarth
2009-01-31, 12:21 PM
Awakened Bats as Characters

-10 Strength (minimum 1), +4 Dexterity, +4 Wisdom, -4 Charisma (minimum 1).
An awakened bat is a Magical Beast with the Augmented Animal subtype.
Diminutive size. +4 bonus to Armor Class, +4 bonus on attack rolls, +12 bonus on Hide checks, -12 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/4 those of Medium characters.
Space/Reach: 1 foot/0 feet.
An awakened bats's base land speed is 5 feet. It also has a fly speed of 40 feet with good maneuverability.
Low-light vision, blindsense 20 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: An awakened bat begins with two levels of animal, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +0.
Racial Skills: An awakened bat's animal levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot. An awakened bat has a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks, but only if its blindsense is not negated.
Racial Feats: An awakened bat's animal levels give it one feat.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
Favored Class: Druid.

Hi! Above, I have statted out how to play an Awakened Bat. Now, I need help with it. First, if someone could glance it over, and make sure the stats are right, that would be great.

Second--LA. If you want to eyeball the LA, that's helpful. If you hate RHD and want to tell me that the LA is negative, sure. What should the ECL of one of these with one class level be? Use any method. Use several methods, if you can!

If you know what Feature Points are and how they work, please include an FP breakdown of the race. If you don't, in the words of Arbitrarity:

FP are a custom way of evaluating the power of races. Without them, you generally rely on the listed LA of a race. If it doesn't have one, it's not intended to be played. The chart in http://yabathewhat.tripod.com/FP.pdf that is near the beginning indicates LA from FP. 0 LA is the first row, 1 LA the next, etc. They provide a range for balanced numbers of FP for a given LA. The second table is FP values for various ability score adjustments, starting at -10, to +80.
Next table is the modifiers for AB and BAB. I.e. if race gives a +1 to hit or something. This sort of organization continues. Find every element of the creature you're looking at, and add up the values in FP.

FP is actually designed to calculate ECL, not LA. ECL is LA+Racial Hit Dice.

The file is good. Alternatively it should be available here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bjfl13

Thanks for helping a real n00b!

LordZarth
2009-01-31, 03:30 PM
No-one? :smallfrown:

Llama231
2009-01-31, 04:03 PM
When it comes to this sort of thing, I am newbish two, but I could try to help.
Stats are good, could use higher Dex.
Seems like it needs NEGATIVE L.A....
That's my (almost literally) two cents.:smallsmile:

Raroy
2009-01-31, 07:48 PM
Minus ten strength is....excessive. Perhapses you could lower it to minus four so that the stat increases are on par with the decreases?

DracoDei
2009-01-31, 07:59 PM
The two racial HD should balance against their being picked as hard to hit wizards and clerics. Some would argue that they need LA as well or instead.

LordZarth
2009-01-31, 10:37 PM
What I really need is an LA breakdown. -10 Strength is the adjustment of an Awakened (by the spell) Bat.

Arbitrarity
2009-02-01, 02:56 AM
Cross-posted:

Awakened Bats as Characters

-10 Strength (minimum 1) (-7 FP), +4 Dexterity (+9 FP), +4 Wisdom (+9 FP), -4 Charisma (minimum 1) (-5 FP). Net (+6 FP)
An awakened bat is a Magical Beast with the Augmented Animal subtype. (+3 FP)
Diminutive size. +4 bonus to Armor Class (+36), +4 bonus on attack rolls (+36), +12 bonus on Hide checks (+6), -12 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/4 those of Medium characters (-? FP (~6)). (-4'ish average damage, ~-8) (Net 64)
Space/Reach: 1 foot/0 feet. (-5 FP)
An awakened bats's base land speed is 5 feet (? Not much). It also has a fly speed of 40 feet with good maneuverability. (38 FP)
Low-light vision (1 FP), blindsense 20 feet (16 FP)
Racial Hit Dice: An awakened bat begins with two levels of animal, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1 (8 FP), and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +0. (20 FP)
Racial Skills: An awakened bat's animal levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot. An awakened bat has a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks (4 FP), but only if its blindsense is not negated.
Racial Feats: An awakened bat's animal levels give it one feat.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
Favored Class: Druid.
Total: 152 FP.

Sorry, I had difficulty accessing this page, for reasons unknown. Now. There are the FP values, though I don't know about those values for diminutive size. Apparently LA +3, which seems odd. Lose a few for lack of slots, maybe, but size is a huge difference. Apparently, Tiny size is balanced, so that would make the race a LA+1, ECL+3.
I think I got that right. Damn, the diminutive size hurts, just for the AC and to-hit bonuses.

Bhu
2009-02-01, 03:37 AM
By Savage Species rules you'd get +1 LA for the Flight, -1 LA for the size/reach, and another +1 for the Blindsight, leaving you with a total +1. While Savage Species doesn't provide for negative LA for bad stats, in practice as bad as the negative stats are, and it not having a reach (thereby provoking attacks of opportunity every time you enter someone's square) I'd call it a draw.