PDA

View Full Version : Help with a character build

TaintedLight
2009-01-31, 12:42 PM
I'm starting a campaign soon, and there's a class from Heroes of Battle that I've been looking to try out. The Dread Commando is apparently quite good and it has some fun flavor opportunities that I would like to try also. As a reference for team optimization, the rest of my party includes a human samurai, a human artificer (Eberron campaign), and an elf psion specializing in psychokinesis. I currently have a Warforged Rgr 1/Ftr 3 that I am hoping to advance into the prestige class. My DM has agreed to let me treat Hide and Move Silently as class skills with the alternate skillset rules, and the list of feats I have taken include Mithril Body, Shocking Fist, Dodge, and Mobility.

Can this build be improved?

Samakain
2009-01-31, 05:13 PM
i would ^^ but i'm unfamiliar with the PrC your using.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-01-31, 05:42 PM
How optimized is your group? It's hard to tell just from classes, especially when there are 3 different Samurai.

What sources are you using, how close do you guys stay to WBL, and why the heck did you take Dodge/Mobility and Ranger all the way to 3?

Being unfamiliar with the class and cut off from my books, sorry I can't be more helpful.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-31, 06:21 PM
There is very little optimizeable about the class ... get a ring of blinking and hit stuff. Ranger 2/fighter 4/dread commando ... and convince your DM to let you use your slam attack in addition to TWF (otherwise shocking fist is a bit of a waste).

AslanCross
2009-01-31, 06:54 PM
For the Dread Commando, I think it'd be a good idea to get as much sneak attack or sudden strike dice as much as possible. I wouldn't recommend the Ninja class, but Rogue would do well to maximize this. Skirmish dice would be okay too, though that scales a lot slower than sneak attack.

Do you fight with ranged weapons or melee? If you're ranged, you could take levels in Scout but use the Snipe alternative class feature, which lets you deal extra damage as long as you attack unseen from a distance. (Though yeah, Sudden Strike has limited range, so that might not be such a good idea.)

TaintedLight
2009-02-05, 01:45 AM
How optimized is your group? It's hard to tell just from classes, especially when there are 3 different Samurai.

What sources are you using, how close do you guys stay to WBL, and why the heck did you take Dodge/Mobility and Ranger all the way to 3?

Being unfamiliar with the class and cut off from my books, sorry I can't be more helpful.

I have Dodge and Mobility as prereqs for DC, and the level of Ranger allows me to keep relatively good HD, a full BAB, and have enough skills to get Hide and Move Silently up quickly. I considered Rogue, but I wanted more health and full BAB.

Malacode
2009-02-05, 01:58 AM
As you have Dodge and Mobility, Shot on the Run might be worth taking. I assume you're using a bow of some kind? With the ability to remain hiding while moving, you can really take advantage of your SS damage while remaining in any cover in the area (Or get the Psion to help you out in that area with some powers). Also, the Armoured Ease class feature you get at 2nd is someting you really want to take advantage of. As a warforged, that's pretty much covered though. Best advantage is the Initiative bonus, which stacks with others like it (For example, the Marshal ability)

So yeah, as with any class, look at the class features and try to find ways of getting them to all work together

Edit: Also, try and get a hold of a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis when you get the chance and the money... HiPS and a bonus to Hide and Move Silently, as well as a number of other goodies. It's well worth it for a character like this. Imagine it. A hulking warforged brute with a bow running staight past someone, shooting them in the head with a bow way too small for their hands... And the target didn't see them do it.

TaintedLight
2009-02-07, 02:58 PM
As you have Dodge and Mobility, Shot on the Run might be worth taking. I assume you're using a bow of some kind? With the ability to remain hiding while moving, you can really take advantage of your SS damage while remaining in any cover in the area (Or get the Psion to help you out in that area with some powers). Also, the Armoured Ease class feature you get at 2nd is someting you really want to take advantage of. As a warforged, that's pretty much covered though. Best advantage is the Initiative bonus, which stacks with others like it (For example, the Marshal ability)

So yeah, as with any class, look at the class features and try to find ways of getting them to all work together

Edit: Also, try and get a hold of a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis when you get the chance and the money... HiPS and a bonus to Hide and Move Silently, as well as a number of other goodies. It's well worth it for a character like this. Imagine it. A hulking warforged brute with a bow running staight past someone, shooting them in the head with a bow way too small for their hands... And the target didn't see them do it.

The setting of the campaign has our party as a unit in Cyre just before the end of the Last War, so it's highly unlikely that anyone besides the samurai will start with anything more than nonmagical gear. With the cash I was alloted, I bought a longsword, a buckler, a light crossbow, and two daggers. What I really need help with is deciding what kinds of feats I should go for. I have access to HoB, PH2, ComAdv, PH, ECS, and RoE.

My current buld has the character looking like this:

Rgr 1/Ftr 3

STR 16
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 11
WIS 12
CHA 10

Feats: Mithral Body, Dodge, Mobility, Track (bonus for ranger), Weapon Focus [Longsword]

I'll post the skill spread sometime soon if I get a chance.

I just feel like there must be some better feat to take than WF. I want to try not to be absolutely on the front lines of battle all the time since I rolled pretty badly for HP (36).