PDA

View Full Version : How to pump spell DCs

Mooch
2009-01-31, 01:00 PM
I am playing a level 23 caster (sorcerer 5/ Pevishan spell siphon 5/ fatespinner 5/ archmage 5/ magos incardente 3) in a homebrewed campaign setting (no epic magic allowed) that is ruled by dragons. I have access to any book.

Instead of epic spells as a sorcerer I took a feat that gives me the sorcerer spells known and spells per day progression again from levels 21-30 and in addition to that i get a +1 to DC and spell checks to beat SR per level.

This is a fairly high powered game and almost anything goes (already used wish loop to get +5 to all stats for example), but the problem is that the DM likes to use mobs that have ridiculously high saving throws at us (+45 and up to all) so in order to even have a chance i need to pump my DC I currently have a base of 32 (10+18(Cha of 48)+4(feat)) and then also have greater spell focus (evocation) and spell focus (abjuration)

So what can I do to pump my DC up so that I might have a chance of using a few spells per day that have saving throws

Nohwl
2009-01-31, 01:15 PM
boost charisma as high as possible. could you pick a low level adjusted race that gives a bonus to cha? assimar is +2, which means another +1 to your save dcs. you could use aging penalties to get another +3. grab a cloak of charisma + 6, and ask if he will allow a custom magic item that boosts your charisma even more.

Siosilvar
2009-01-31, 01:17 PM
Instead of epic spells as a sorcerer I took a feat that gives me the sorcerer spells known and spells per day progression again from levels 21-30 and in addition to that i get a +1 to DC and spell checks to beat SR per level.
Remember that you also get a +1 DC per spell level. If you can cast above 9th level, use Heighten Spell.

Dogmantra
2009-01-31, 01:19 PM
Heighten spell:
Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit

A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

It ought to help the lower level spells, but obviously 9th level can't be heightened.

EDIT: those darned ninjas!

AmberVael
2009-01-31, 01:24 PM
Heighten spell:

It ought to help the lower level spells, but obviously 9th level can't be heightened.

It can once you become Epic. :smallbiggrin:

TaintedLight
2009-01-31, 01:32 PM

What feat is that? It sounds pretty broken in all honesty, but I suppose that if there's no epic magic in your campaign it's still fair.

Mooch
2009-01-31, 04:12 PM
The feat I took is called Power Infustion which is a homebrewed replacement for epic spells which were deleted

Heighten magic would help but the mobs are still able to save roughly 50% of the time against a DC 43 (9th lvl abjuration) with the -10 to saves from the fatespinner capstone ability

I plan on taking improved spell capacity (for 10th lvl slots) next level so heighten will help a little bit

are there any other buffs besides eagles splendor that will help

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-31, 04:22 PM
Enervation.

No save, each negative level drops all saves by one. Just have to hit with a RTA.

By now, you should be able to do Quickened Enervation followed up by a Twin Ray Empowered Enervation for 1d4+1+(2d4+2)*1.5 negative levels in one round. Follow up next round with save or screwed of choice.

Siosilvar
2009-01-31, 04:32 PM
Enervation.

No save, each negative level drops all saves by one. Just have to hit with a RTA.

By now, you should be able to do Quickened Enervation followed up by a Twin Split Ray Empowered Enervation for 1d4+1+(2d4+2)*1.5 negative levels in one round. Follow up next round with save or screwed of choice.

Twinned is a different metamagic. Both Twin Spell and Split Ray are in Complete Arcane, though.

Assassin89
2009-01-31, 04:35 PM
There are two non-epic feats that increase the DC of one school

Spell Focus [General]

Choose a school of magic.
Benefit

Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.

Greater Spell Focus [General]
Benefit

Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select. This bonus stacks with the bonus from Spell Focus.

arguskos
2009-01-31, 04:39 PM
Didn't notice, but did anyone suggest Ability Focus (spells)? It's technically a monster feat (IIRC), and it is cheesier than Limburger, but I'm fairly certain that it works. Basically, it gives you a free +2 to the DC's of your spellcasting. It's in the Monster Manuel. :smallwink:

Arcane_Snowman
2009-01-31, 04:41 PM
Shneeky is absolutely correct, Enervation seems like the best option.

Retrain some spells and get the following (if you do not already have them): Greater Arcane Fusion, situated in Complete Mage, and Arcane Spellsurge from Dragon Magic. This allows you to fire off a lot more spells each turn (seeing as Greater Arcane Fusion does not expend spell slots)

Mooch
2009-01-31, 04:52 PM
I will take a look at greater arcane fusion and arcane spellsurge once I am back to my books but it looks like arcane thesis(enervation) is becoming a one of the few choices

is split ray empowered enervation 5th level after arcane thesis? (i think split is only a +1 before the reduction) or is there a better combo of metamagics to use with it

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-31, 04:56 PM
I will take a look at greater arcane fusion and arcane spellsurge once I am back to my books but it looks like arcane thesis(enervation) is becoming a one of the few choices

is split ray empowered enervation 5th level after arcane thesis? (i think split is only a +1 before the reduction) or is there a better combo of metamagics to use with it

Split Ray is +2, so is Empowered (which is why I suggest Empowered rather than Maximized, which is a +3, and on average is not as effective as Empowered with a 1d4+1 roll)