PDA

View Full Version : Cyborgs in 4E: How Would You Do Them?

Leliel
2009-01-31, 05:04 PM
Well, given the general amount of major injuries that occur in D&D, it wouldn't be suprising if some medically-minded wizard came along and, seeing all the missing limbs that couldn't be fixed by divine magic due to physical law/time constraints, said "Hey, I can replace these: I just need a few golem parts!" Pretty soon, people start getting these replacement limbs simply for the upgrades, and lo and behold, a fantasy version of cybernetics is born.

Now, of course the PCs are going to want a few golem parts for themselves, and I thought it would be cool if they were given some (for 4e, of course, since I don't know other editions).

However, I have no faith in my homebrewing skills, so...

How would you create cyborgs in 4e?

I was thinking feats needed before you can equip the parts, both to balance out the stat gain and to represent the strength/will needed to get implants stronger then that of the normal body.

Also, NO HALF-GOLEMS. While this may be more justified in 4e then in 3.5-you could say that the elemental spirits contained within the golem parts overwhelm their master and take control of him-I think it's rather unfair to take control away from a player just beacuse he's a player who wants to get stronger.

nightwyrm
2009-01-31, 05:10 PM
Have you taken a look at the undead grafts in Open Grave? If you refluff them a bit, they may be what you're looking for.

mikeejimbo
2009-01-31, 05:33 PM
Some of the stuff that applies to Warforged might work for cyborgs, too.

Limos
2009-01-31, 05:38 PM
Just let a human take Warforged component feats. Maybe force him to do something, maybe take another feat, to gain the Cyborg status.

RTGoodman
2009-02-01, 12:17 AM
Have you taken a look at the undead grafts in Open Grave? If you refluff them a bit, they may be what you're looking for.

That sounds like a good idea.

Alternatively, maybe create a series of powers for "Cyborgs" that you can only get through multi-classing (like the Spellscarred stuff).

Behold_the_Void
2009-02-01, 04:20 AM
The bloodline system that is coming out may be another good way to take it, a succession of feats for various abilities.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-01, 04:24 AM
That sounds like a good idea.

Alternatively, maybe create a series of powers for "Cyborgs" that you can only get through multi-classing (like the Spellscarred stuff).

I think that this, crossed with the exotic weapon training feat chains from Dragon, would be a really interesting way to go about this. Is it equipment? Is it you? Is it training? All three!

MartinHarper
2009-02-01, 07:38 AM
Just let a human take Warforged component feats. Maybe force him to do something, maybe take another feat, to gain the Cyborg status.

This. Also, give the player the "Construct" keyword (but not the "Living Construct" abilities).

I'm more interested in the fluff. Presumably the cyborg parts will be based off warforged magic/technology. Warforged in 4e have various life-like processes, such as a blood equivalent that may or may not be fluffed as an oil-like substance. Would you have each part have its own pump for its circulatory system?

Tyrmatt
2009-02-01, 08:06 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with the Open Grave grafting system. It's almost exactly what you're after. Just add imagination!

bosssmiley
2009-02-01, 09:27 AM
The bloodline system that is coming out may be another good way to take it, a succession of feats for various abilities.

Bloodlines? Would those be "Birthright"-style bloodlines? Or 3E-style "Granny got it on with a monster" bloodlines? :smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2009-02-01, 09:49 AM
Bloodlines? Would those be "Birthright"-style bloodlines? Or 3E-style "Granny got it on with a monster" bloodlines? :smallconfused:

I do believe the latter, but mostly because I have no idea what "Birthright"-style bloodlines would be. There's an article in the most recent Dragon about Dhampyrs which uses the bloodline stuff, I think, so lemme check that out and see if I can find a good quote/description of them for you.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the latter, with normal folk mating with monsters and whatnot. The Dhampyr article says they're the result of a male vampire mating with a mortal female. Basically, the "bloodline" system is that you pick a normal race and then take the "Heritage" feat at 1st level for your bloodline. After that, there are a whole slew of feats that give you other related powers.

Baron Corm
2009-02-01, 01:37 PM
Cyborg template for 3.5e. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65345)

The LA is a bit too high right now for PCs, as it was mostly meant to create crazy monsters, but I could tweak it if you want. It was such a cool idea that I might just do that anyway (in the post itself). I realize that you don't play 3.5 though :P

Yakk
2009-02-01, 02:48 PM
Create a multi-class only class, similar to the Spellscarred class in the 4e FRP book. You take power-swap feats to use your golem limbs to create magi-tech style effects.

Ninetail
2009-02-02, 02:47 AM
Another alternative would be to stat them as magic items.

Replacement arm? That's your arm slot, so it can have powers similar to other arm-slot magic items. Replacement legs? Movement powers.

On the plus side, it's simpler and more straightforward. On the minus side, it's simpler and more straightforward.

turkishproverb
2009-02-02, 02:57 AM
Another alternative would be to stat them as magic items.

Replacement arm? That's your arm slot, so it can have powers similar to other arm-slot magic items. Replacement legs? Movement powers.

On the plus side, it's simpler and more straightforward. On the minus side, it's simpler and more straightforward.

We can rebuild him...Faster...stronger...we have the magic...

Halaster
2009-02-02, 07:14 AM
Hi.

Rolemaster had a class of healers specializing in prosthetics. They carved them from various materials, then used spells to animate them, temporarily on the lower spell levels, then permanently later on and could even make them look like living flesh. Perhaps a paragon path for clerics that contains appropriate powers might cut it. So you have a utility power that makes normal prosthetics move under the command of the wearer and daily or encounter powers that boost them (bonus to strength and dex etc.). Would tie in with the support role of the cleric, but it would be fairly specific.

CU,
Halaster