PDA

View Full Version : A new holiday?

Felixaar
2009-02-01, 12:42 AM
Once every five or six years, a very special weekend comes up - and this is one of those years. February Thirteenth is Friday Thirteenth, and the Saturday is Valentine's Day/Death Metal Day.

But, the Sunday has always lacked something - I propose we create a new unofficial holiday, to occur on the fifteenth of february, only when the thirteenth is friday.

It'll join the ranks of my other unoffical holidays - Maypril Fools Day (May 23), Bacon Day (Jul 17), and Steve Day (Jun 2).

So... any ideas?

thubby
2009-02-01, 12:51 AM
zombiepocalypse awareness day!

Rutskarn
2009-02-01, 12:51 AM
Visit Chocolate Hammer and Make At Least 5 Comments Day.

afroakuma
2009-02-01, 12:53 AM
If it weren't so awesome I'd have to shoot you for the shameless plugs, Rutskarn.

Felixaar
2009-02-01, 12:54 AM
zombiepocalypse awareness day!

This has potential. We could all have awareness ribbons, the colour of rotting flesh.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-02-01, 12:54 AM
Don't forget to add Dude Day to your list of unofficial holidays. It's on March 14th every year. Instead of the guy bringing flowers and chocolates to his girl, the girl is supposed to bring beer and nachos to her guy (presumably while he watches sports).

Rutskarn
2009-02-01, 01:08 AM
If it weren't so awesome I'd have to shoot you for the shameless plugs, Rutskarn.

It's what I do.

That and the topiary work.

Boo
2009-02-01, 01:19 AM
And I hurt peoples brains.

On that note, I'd like to say that a Zombie Appreciation Day is in order.

Flame of Anor
2009-02-01, 12:14 PM
The symbol could be a crossed chainsaw and shotgun. Maybe a Latin motto...I don't know the Latin for zombie, though.

amuletts
2009-02-01, 09:54 PM
When is Talk Like a Pirate Day? I always miss it :(

Assassin89
2009-02-01, 09:58 PM
When is Talk Like a Pirate Day? I always miss it :(

September 19.

ghost_warlock
2009-02-02, 03:01 AM
Don't forget to add Dude Day to your list of unofficial holidays. It's on March 14th every year. Instead of the guy bringing flowers and chocolates to his girl, the girl is supposed to bring beer and nachos to her guy (presumably while he watches sports).

The issue with this is that there's a significant population of individuals who expect something like this to happen almost every single day. It isn't so much an idea for a holiday as it is a glorification of a thankless reality for some.

But...now back to your regularly-scheduled light-hearted thread! :smalltongue:

Proposals:
I-Just-Got-Back-from-the-Vet-and-I-Didn't-Get-Neutered-Day (appropriate given the proximity of V-Day :smallwink:)
The trees have Arbor Day and micro-organisms get a whole season of vaccinations devoted to futile attempts to wipe them out, I say we start a Fungus Appreciation Day for our much-maligned contributors to the nutrient cycle!
So, we have Talk Like a Pirate Day...how about Talk Like a Sailor Day? Any takers? No? Aw... :smallfrown:
Is there such a thing as Webcomic Appreciation Day? Maybe something like everyone tries to make and host their own webcomic, using whatever software they have available? Or maybe we could drag this out for a whole month, like NANOWRIMO...NADRAWEMO - (inter)National Drawing Webcomics Month? February would work great; try to make 30 posts to your webcomic in 28 days... :smallwink:

Alarra
2009-02-04, 02:27 AM
Why is May 23rd Maypril Fools Day?

B-Man
2009-02-04, 02:46 AM

One problem. 14 March is Pi day (using the American date format).

Also, Japanese Valentine's Day, the girl gives the guy she wants to be her valentine chocolate.

averagejoe
2009-02-04, 03:25 AM
What is it with you Aussies and holidays? I think you're just trying to systematically turn every day into a holiday.

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome. Sign me up.

Felixaar
2009-02-04, 03:58 AM
Why is May 23rd Maypril Fools Day?

*shrug* because May 24th was busy? Nah, it was kind of just the first day I came up with the idea. I'm suprised it took me that long into the month to think of it.

Joe, you know you love it.

Hmmm... interesting ideas, but nothing really stands out yet :smallconfused: keep 'em coming, people! We need something that has activities related.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-02-04, 08:56 AM
We had High Five Day once in college. It was fantastic. You would go around giving high fives to everyone you met, and since I went to a large school, that included many complete strangers.

Groundhog
2009-02-04, 09:59 AM
*shrugs* Random Hug Day?

Felixaar
2009-02-05, 01:52 AM
I'm afraid I've once again gone and ignored everyones suggestions.

I hearby declare that from now one, the third sunday of every month shall be henceforth known as totally not opposite day.

I'm lookin' forward to this one.

ghost_warlock
2009-02-05, 05:57 AM
Can May 2nd be Gratuitous Fanservice Day?

Ms.Malbolge
2009-02-05, 06:21 PM
I'm all for the fanservice day!:smallwink: Especially if GW is part of said fanservice!

I have nothing new to add really.

:wanders off:

Felixaar
2009-02-05, 06:30 PM
Can May 2nd be Gratuitous Fanservice Day?

Shouldn't every day be gratuitous fanservice day?

Ms.Malbolge
2009-02-05, 07:32 PM
Shouldn't every day be gratuitous fanservice day?

Felixaar wins.

Don't know what he won.

But he won it.

Still want my GW fanservice though.

:wanders off again:

littlebottom
2009-02-05, 09:10 PM
is there a "talk like darth-vader day"? *keeer-chuuuuuuuu* "i find your lack of enthusiasm about this idea... disturbing" *keeer-chuuuuuu* :smallbiggrin:

i dont know how you would make that breathing into an onomatapia... but i gave it a go...:smallwink: