PDA

View Full Version : "Let magic guide your blade" [3.5 Feat]

kentma57
2009-02-01, 02:55 AM
“Let magic guide your blade”

Magic can manifest itself in many ways; some are rather, while other are more subtle. This is one of the latter. Magic makes up all that exists in our realm, and can be used in many ways, ‘The Path of Least Resistance’ as it is known to some, represents the natural flow of magic in our universe and if one has the proper knowledge, skill, and reflexes one can harness this flow to deliver a deadly strike.
Typically this path is followed by sorcerers who are naturally at ease with magic, though bards and druids are also known to take it up. Wizards can learn this art but rarely sync up to the natural chaos that it the flow of magic. No Cleric has ever taken up the path as their magic is granted to them directly, from the gods; though there are rumors of Wee Jas granting the required knowledge to some of his followers.
When put to use this technique resembles a dance as the user swings back and forth, leaps into the air and drives their blade home; this is due to the chaotic nature of natural magic streams.
There is a draw back to all this though; because of the focus required to sync up with the natural magic streams; one only has enough time to focus when an opponent is distracted.

The Flow of a Blade [General]

Prerequisites:
Sneak Attack +1d6, the ability to cast True Strike

Benefit:
When using Sneak Attack against an opponent who has been denied their Dex bonus to AC, make a DC 5 Concentration check; if you succeed you caster level is used to determine sneak attack damage.

Special:
Wizards and Clerics receive a -1 penalty to their caster level for calculating their sneak attack damage.

If you have any ideas I would love to hear them, it is 3 in the morning and it could probably use some work. I'm off to sleep now.

Shades of Gray
2009-02-01, 03:38 AM
Seems decent, but I'm generally not good with balance. I was wondering, why cleric and wizards? Is it because their magic is less... flexible and natural? If so, you may want to add Archivist in the same boat as them.

Maybe a psionic version as well? There must be some sort of psionic true strike...

kentma57
2009-02-01, 09:41 AM
Seems decent, but I'm generally not good with balance. I was wondering, why cleric and wizards? Is it because their magic is less... flexible and natural? If so, you may want to add Archivist in the same boat as them.

Maybe a psionic version as well? There must be some sort of psionic true strike...

Clerics have a different form of magic, and wizards are less flexible; as for other classes it is DM discretion I just listed the basic caster and gave you an idea of who can use the feat well.
So basicly if you are not a bard, Sorcerer, Cleric, Wizard, or Druid(who I forgot to talk about) you just have to give a good argument to your DM.

Baron Corm
2009-02-01, 01:06 PM
Does this replace your sneak attack damage or add to it? I'm assuming the former, so it's basically for sneak attacking ray users and stuff? It's basically assuming a 1 level dip in rogue... and no more? Pretty good for that effect, although you should put a cap on the max caster level (20), because otherwise it will be pumped far and beyond what even a straight rogue could do.

I'm not so sure I like the 1d6 sneak attack requirement though, because the feat punishes you for taking more rogue levels. Maybe you should just change it to a base attack bonus requirement. This would be cool because it would allow you to get into things like arcane trickster without losing gobs of spellcasting too.

Fiery Diamond
2009-02-04, 02:26 PM
Does this replace your sneak attack damage or add to it? I'm assuming the former, so it's basically for sneak attacking ray users and stuff? It's basically assuming a 1 level dip in rogue... and no more? Pretty good for that effect, although you should put a cap on the max caster level (20), because otherwise it will be pumped far and beyond what even a straight rogue could do.

I'm not so sure I like the 1d6 sneak attack requirement though, because the feat punishes you for taking more rogue levels. Maybe you should just change it to a base attack bonus requirement. This would be cool because it would allow you to get into things like arcane trickster without losing gobs of spellcasting too.

Agreed on the first bit - although I think all CL boosters that aren't specifically stated to be for determining the effects of spells (which wouldn't apply to this feat) are non-core.

Second bit isn't true. A prerequisite that says +1d6 sneak attack means that you must have at least +1d6 sneak attack- that's how prerequisites work unless otherwise stated. Look at the BAB requirements- you aren't penalized for having a higher BAB, you know.

@OP: I like it, I think it's an interesting feat.

kentma57
2009-02-06, 01:45 AM
Agreed on the first bit - although I think all CL boosters that aren't specifically stated to be for determining the effects of spells (which wouldn't apply to this feat) are non-core.

Second bit isn't true. A prerequisite that says +1d6 sneak attack means that you must have at least +1d6 sneak attack- that's how prerequisites work unless otherwise stated. Look at the BAB requirements- you aren't penalized for having a higher BAB, you know.

@OP: I like it, I think it's an interesting feat.

Have not been on in a while but nice to hear some feedback. I do think it needs some work but it is going in the right derection. Up date soon.

It might work better as an, add you casting class, but that does not seem to fit the idea that magic is doing the work AKA caster level.

ps: How would you feel if I tied it into spell levels?