View Full Version : A [Creature] I am trying to get together

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-09-29, 06:13 PM
Kobold Infantry
Large Construct
HD: 10d10+30 (80 hp)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 30 feet.
Armor Class: 21 (-2 Dex, -1 size, +14 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+20
Attack: Slam (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 Slams (2d6+6) +10 to hit
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Ballista
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/adamantine; Passenger
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will See below
Abilities: Str 23, Con -, Dex 6, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Environment: Kobold Militia
Organization: Alone, pair, 3-6 (Squad), 20-40 (Contingent)

Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Not unlike a four-legged spider at first glance, but the steel and wires show through. The small creature riding in it is well defended against attack within this iron shell behind thick glass.

The Kobold infantry is not a typical construct of its own but rather, a vehicle for another. It runs on a combination of magic and technology that more than makes up for a kobolds lack of physical prowess, though any small creature can run one of these machines.

To actually be able to pilot one of these creations, you have to have the Pilot Feat or you will act as if under the confusion spell unless you make a DC 20 intelligence check. If the check is successful three times in a row, the improvising pilot has figured it out and can continue using the machine as normal until he exits. Any difficult maneuvers, (GMs Discretion, but usually anything that would make use of a skill in movement) will require a roll again from an untrained pilot.

Combat
The pilots of such machines are usually trained and know tactics well. They will avoid confrontations they cannot win, but may try to win by attrition in larger groups if forced to.

Passenger (EX): The machine is actually a carrier for another creature, therefore any intelligence, wisdom or charisma based skills are based off of the pilot’s stats. Mind-effecting spells can effect the pilot within as well as long as they do not need a direct line of sight. Finally, the vision of the infantry is based off of what the pilot is capable of.
If the pilot wishes, he may take the turn of the Infantry in the combat round to do anything he is normally capable of. This can include spell casting, but as a note, he does not have an unobstructed view of anything outside of the machine. To get in and out of the machine takes 1 round and exposes the pilot to attack.

Ballista (EX): As a full round action, the infantry can fire a ballista bolt (3d8 19-20 Range Increment 120ft) from a bay in its back. This provokes an attack of opportunity as with any other ranged attack. Full loaded, the infantry has 20 bolts.

I am not sure if this is done better somewhere, but I want sort of like a "Tank" feel from this thing. As for the feat that goes with it...

Pilot [General]
You can use pilot a craft that normally baffles others.
Prerequisites: Int 13
Benefit: Select a craft that is unusual. You can use a machine without the normal penalties for normal movement, and for movements that take a skill check, you have to make a knowledge (Engineering) check: DC 10.
Normal: You will act as if under the confusion spell unless you make a DC 20 intelligence check. If the check is successful three times in a row, the improvising pilot has figured it out and can continue using the machine as normal until he exits. Any difficult maneuvers, (GMs Discretion, but usually anything that would make use of a skill in movement) will require a roll again from an untrained pilot.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-10-01, 02:38 PM
Thats freaking sweet. How much does one cost?

fangthane
2006-10-01, 07:02 PM
Pilot seems the sort of thing which might be a skill rather than a feat, no? I'd actually tend to make it a dex-based check too, given that I'm assuming you're looking at something like a powered-armor suit a la Starship Troopers (not the movie) or at the end of Aliens. That's your call though, and it's not a big deal either way; kobolds are neither stupid nor clumsy as a breed.

Jacob_Gallagher
2006-10-01, 10:23 PM
Like it, however, I agree that Pilot should be a skill. I know it is in SW D20.

Maerok
2006-10-02, 05:13 PM
Pilot -> UMD or Ride?

fangthane
2006-10-02, 05:37 PM
heheh I'd call it neither, but give it a potential +2 synergy from either, increased to +4 if you have at least 8 ranks in both :) I'd make the trained skill dex-based, but I like the idea of an int check to figure it out if you're not competent, and allow the synergies to either type of check.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-10-02, 08:04 PM
Random button pushing for the win...

That aside, maybe it should be a skill but then, I like the idea of a feat being needed. Hrrrmm...

As for making one, I am not sure so I might have to invoke the powers of one of the more knowledgable board dwellers for suggestions....

I might add a couple more things like this as kolbolds in my game world are trap makers/engineers of remarkable skill whose temperment is dependant on the dragon 'elder' that runs their clan.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-10-02, 08:30 PM
Pretty wicked.

Also, I anticipate your getting of a more squirrelic avatar, for they are awesome.

Again, above monster in moderately wicked. I do not brag to be any kind of expert on the matter of homebrewing, so I can't help you much with the balance issues, but that thing is sweet. Just sayin'.