PDA

View Full Version : Archery prestige classes

KeresM
2009-02-01, 11:57 AM
I recall looking at a prestige class called 'Darkwood Sniper', and now I am unable to find it again. I would have sworn it was in a wizard's publication, but apparently I'm wrong.

Anyone know where this might be? Or have any other good sources for ranged combat prestige classes that don't suck?

PrGo
2009-02-01, 12:01 PM
3E Masters of the Wild.

Eldariel
2009-02-01, 12:01 PM
Deepwood Sniper is in Masters of the Wild (3.0) and is a fairly good class
Darkwood Stalker is in Complete Warrior (3.5) and is a fairly crappy class

Other archery PrCs of note:
Order of the Bow Initiate (Sword & Fist, 3.0) - solid
Order of the Bow Initiate (Complete Warrior, 3.0) - crappy
Peerless Archer (Silver Marches, 3.0) - solid
Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin, 3.5) - decent
Cragtop Archer (Races of Stone, 3.5) - decent (awesome for what it does, but what it does isn't the best thing ever)

Other than that, non-Archery specific classes such as Pious Templar (Complete Divine, 3.5), Templar (Defenders of the Faith, 3.0) and Weapon Master (Sword & Fist, 3.0) are pretty good.

EDIT: Since you asked for "ranged combat", I'm forced to mention Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle, 3.5) and Master Thrower (Complete Warrior, 3.5), both of which kick total ass.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-01, 12:41 PM
Complete Psionic gives the Soulknife the Soulbow - Turn your Mind Blade into a Mind Bow.

Assassin89
2009-02-01, 12:50 PM
What about arcane archer?

Eldariel
2009-02-01, 12:51 PM
What about arcane archer?

It's a 2-level long class for Wizards who want to shoot anti-magic fields far away. Costs quite a few feats towards that goal. Ironically, has very little to do with archery.

Spiryt
2009-02-01, 01:01 PM
Deepwood Sniper is in Masters of the Wild (3.0) and is a fairly good class

It always seemed as pretty strong class to me, and pretty much no brainer for any archer character.
Other archery classes like Arcane Archer give you some weird (and weak) stuff while DS just give you insane range, powerful criticals, and a ability to hist more frequently. Simple and solid.

Eldariel
2009-02-01, 01:08 PM
It always seemed as pretty strong class to me, and pretty much no brainer for any archer character.
Other archery classes like Arcane Archer give you some weird (and weak) stuff while DS just give you insane range, powerful criticals, and a ability to hist more frequently. Simple and solid.

Well, it seems powerful compared to 3.5 Archery PrCs (which nobody ever uses, and for a good reason), but less so when it you put it next to 3.0 Order of the Bow Initiate and Peerless Archer. All 3 of them are extremely solid and allow for different, fine archer characters; Peerless Archer can perform for melee tricks such as Power Attack and Attacks of Opportunity with a bow, Deepwood Sniper really takes the Rogue-shtick in archery and Order of the Bow Initiate is the Fighter (in style, not in suckitude) of Archery - it just improves in the basic archery without really specializing in any areas; some extra damage, extra attacks, higher attack rolls, extra stat to attacks, no-AoO attacks, the works.