PDA

View Full Version : Price for augmented compression item?

MustacheFart
2009-02-01, 12:26 PM
Hey all,

I've got a couple questions. I know the general breakdown of determining market price for magic items (items with spell/day, continuous spell effects, etc) but I'm a little confused when it comes to psychic powers.

Psion handbook lists a bunch of items with specific powers you can make and some with powers you choose but those are limited use(dorjes, power stones, etc). What if I want an unlimited use item or at least one that replenishes itself, for ex. uses per day?

I'd like to get a ring of Compression augmented to decrease size by 2 categories(1 augmentation, 7pp total). How much would it cost for such an item? What about same ring augmented to decrease size by 2 and last min/level (2 augmentations, 9 pp total)? Finally, how about same ring as previous with third augmentation to make activating it a swift action (all 3 augmentations for power, 15 pp total)?

The Glyphstone
2009-02-01, 12:30 PM
Psionic items are a bit wonky to price, because augmenting doesn't change the effective level of the power. Technically, Compression would be PL(1) timex ML (7) x (price for use frequency).

Personally, I'd price it as if it were a power of the level that would normally spend those points, so a 7-point Compression would be a 4th-level power for purposes of item creation.

So by RGAW, a Ring of Augmented Compression at will for 2 sizes would be 1x7x2000 = 14,000. If you treat it as a higher-level power, it becomes a 56,000GP item.

MustacheFart
2009-02-01, 01:13 PM
Now do you have to be a psychic character to use the ring you mentioned? I know you need to be to use the specific items listed in psychic handbook but what about nonspecific items like you mentioned? I mean you don't gotta be a caster to use a necklace of fireballs.