PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] teleport prevention

Narmoth
2009-02-01, 01:04 PM
Hi, I'm playing in a campaign where the main antagonists have an annoying tendency to disappear to be reoccurring villains another time to my great annoyance.
Mostly they do it with teleport, but other spells, might be used as well. I would also guess that some of them have contingency spells as well
Now, the questions is how to force them to stay:

We've already tried to freeze the person in place after he was unconscious, and he still got away.

What I was thinking was some kind of darts or bolts that I could get him with on a distance, which should disrupt any spells cast. Does such things exist?

Other suggestions?
Also, I play a blackguard. But we have a lvl 8th cleric, a lvl 10 assassin and a about lvl 8 or 9 arcane caster of undefined class

Jack_Simth
2009-02-01, 01:12 PM
Hi, I'm playing in a campaign where the main antagonists have an annoying tendency to disappear to be reoccurring villains another time to my great annoyance.
Mostly they do it with teleport, but other spells, might be used as well. I would also guess that some of them have contingency spells as well
Now, the questions is how to force them to stay:

We've already tried to freeze the person in place after he was unconscious, and he still got away.

What I was thinking was some kind of darts or bolts that I could get him with on a distance, which should disrupt any spells cast. Does such things exist?

Other suggestions?
Also, I play a blackguard. But we have a lvl 8th cleric, a lvl 10 assassin and a about lvl 8 or 9 arcane caster of undefined class

You want the spell Dimensional Anchor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalAnchor.htm) and possibly a set of Dimensional Shackles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dimensionalShackles)

If you pick up a Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring) weapon, you can fit Dispel Magic in there.

edit:
Not that it matters. The guy's using Teleport (a 5th level spell), when you've got a party level of 8 or 9, and appears to be making it Contingent. Your opponent either has a DM shield, or is not what he appears to be. It won't actually help to stop teleportation, in either case.

Eldariel
2009-02-01, 01:16 PM
While it might be nuking a fish, getting him into Anti-Magic Field one way or another should solve those problems (like teleporting next to him with a shaped AMF online, or using Master Abjurer's level 10 ability or some such). Dimensional Lock in the combat area should also be an easy, functional means and perfectly usable during Time Stop (although that's unavailable before level 17, so it's probably a bit into the future still). Knocking 'em unconscious and keeping 'em in Anti-Magic/Dimensional Shackles (or mindraped) or such is the easiest way though.

ericgrau
2009-02-01, 02:01 PM
Your caster can also ready an action to counterspell with the same spell or a dispel magic. Perhaps as an added backup besides preparing a dimensional anchor spell or scroll.

Narmoth
2009-02-01, 03:11 PM
Your opponent either has a DM shield, or is not what he appears to be. It won't actually help to stop teleportation, in either case.

Yes, he has a DM shield. I'm trying to blast through it. The DM is aware of that he'll piss the group off cardinally if absolutely all efforts are countered with deus ex machina

While it might be nuking a fish, getting him into Anti-Magic Field one way or another should solve those problems (like teleporting next to him with a shaped AMF online, or using Master Abjurer's level 10 ability or some such). Dimensional Lock in the combat area should also be an easy, functional means and perfectly usable during Time Stop (although that's unavailable before level 17, so it's probably a bit into the future still). Knocking 'em unconscious and keeping 'em in Anti-Magic/Dimensional Shackles (or mindraped) or such is the easiest way though.

Would it be possible to imbue a bolt with antimagic field and fire it on the wizard, thus negating his spellcasting?

Eldariel
2009-02-01, 03:25 PM
Would it be possible to imbue a bolt with antimagic field and fire it on the wizard, thus negating his spellcasting?

Unless you have an Arcane Archer in the party... By default, AMF is centered on you, which is something you'll have to work around if you intend on casting it at other characters. Having it in effect around you and just walking next to him, or having a shaped version in effect and teleporting will work.

Keld Denar
2009-02-01, 03:26 PM
You mean like....Antimagic Ray? Check out Spell Compendium for more details...

Otherwise, hire a beholder? There is a feat in Lords of Madness that allows the beholder to target a single person with his Antimatic Eye. Just keep him in Antimagic and kill him.

Sure, it'll probably be expensive to hire a beholder with the feat you need, but in the end, won't the look on your DMs face be priceless?

Narmoth
2009-02-01, 04:56 PM
Unless you have an Arcane Archer in the party... By default, AMF is centered on you, which is something you'll have to work around if you intend on casting it at other characters. Having it in effect around you and just walking next to him, or having a shaped version in effect and teleporting will work.

If I and the cleric could walk next to him, we could probably take him down in one round. We aren't getting close enough. I was able to shoot a poison bold in him and get him unconscious (probably by rolling a 1. The dm was very surprised).

Molant
2009-02-01, 05:41 PM
Get your assassin to take that sucker to the morgue! With a good attack, he'll have three opportunities to shut that sucker down until the DM clerics the punk back to life: Death attack, poison and sheer sneak attack damage.

Just have him cast invisibility and sneak up on the guy in combat (more difficult than it sounds, especially with DM watching). At tenth level, Death Attack DC should be at least 15 and sneak attack should be +7d6. Combine that with black lotus, which he should have anyway and it's a will save, fortitude save and a lucky hit point total to avoid death.

Now, I'm not too familiar with blackguards, but you might be able to at least interrupt his casting. Cleric could possibly counterspell the teleport or at least help the assassin to get through with distractions/buffs.

If you're arcane caster is a wizard, then he has access to teleport at level nine. Just counterspell it.

PinkysBrain
2009-02-01, 06:42 PM
Okay, so I assume this is core ... lets see what we can expect, a contingent teleport, a ring of counterspells with dimensional anchor cast into it, invisibility (perhaps dust of disappearance) and next time something to protect him from poison too.

Prepare to deal with all that.

First things first though, scry him (or if he has flunkies scry the flunkies first, they have worse saves).

quick_comment
2009-02-01, 08:59 PM
Dimensional lock is like an area dimensional anchor.

You could also use dimensional strike (psionic power) to get a fighter-type with mageslayer right next to him.

Other ideas include poisoned arrows (he needs at least int 10+spell level to cast whatever spell he uses to escape), silence and grappling.

Frosty
2009-02-01, 09:27 PM
Anticipate Teleport from the Spell Compendium will give you advance warning to prepare when the baddies do teleport in. Commence the beatdown!

Teron
2009-02-02, 02:30 AM
Dimentional anchor is probably the best choice at your level and should get the job done fine, but I think the psionic power divert teleport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/divertTeleport.htm) deserves mention as the most entertaining. :smallamused:

Narmoth
2009-02-02, 04:39 AM
Just have him cast invisibility and sneak up on the guy in combat (more difficult than it sounds, especially with DM watching).

As I said, we never face him in combat (except for the first time, when we almost killed him I think). Therefore I need to hit him with something ranged so we can close in for combat with him.

Also, he has damage reduction, and some other nasty things that I don't know what is, as I'm unfamiliar with 3.5, playing mostly 2nd ed

Scrying him was a good idea. Actually a great idea, since he has an item we are supposed to retrieve

Eldariel
2009-02-02, 04:49 AM
Use a scroll of Dimensional Lock. That should prevent him from escaping. Then just make sure you've got detection for invisibility and hiding and you're good.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-02, 05:12 AM
As others have said, Dimensional Anchor is the best bet.

Kyouhen
2009-02-04, 02:18 AM
Here's a thought. If you can't hit him with a Dimensional Anchor for whatever reason, maybe try casting Dimensional Anchor on an arrow and pop it square in his back where he can't reach it. Even if your DM decides that the spell only stops the arrow from warping, it's still going to leave a nasty gash when he decides to leave the arrow behind. :D

TempusCCK
2009-02-04, 02:31 AM
Smiting Spell feat from Players Handbook II. Making the Arcane Archer irrelevant never looked so good.

That or take Anti-Magic Ray. It's a good spell to have regardless.

Shademan
2009-02-04, 05:18 AM
teleportation was only used one time actually. when you met him in the tower he jumped on the roof ;D
and the assassin used teleport (or some similar spell. cougcough!) when you met them at the bridge.
but hey, finding those anti teleport thingies might be a good idea indeed!

Narmoth
2009-02-04, 08:28 AM
Nah, he couldn't. He sneak attacked in the first round, making it impossible for him to counterspell the ice storm cast on them that round. He terefore could not teleport them away next round. Only possibility is that the mage had a contigency teleport cast on himself that teleports him away when he get's unconcious. Anything else is simply rules defying cheating.

Shademan
2009-02-04, 08:50 AM
yeah... that is EXACTLY what happened!
yees...
i'm not very proud of what i did....