PDA

View Full Version : Chromatic dragons interbreed?

JonahFalcon
2009-02-01, 03:00 PM
:smalleek:

OK, the implications are a bit too broad for me to consider with the concept of chromatic dragons interbreeding...

SPoD
2009-02-01, 03:10 PM

OK, the implications are a bit too broad for me to consider with the concept of chromatic dragons interbreeding...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, who said they interbreed? What, he can't have a friend come over? And even if it is a date, does every date a teenager has lead to breeding?

I took it as a joke on the idea of parents who are subconsciously racist, but trying to not be. Their kids might be friends with (or even dating) a member of another race. Because they want to be open and accepting, they tell other people about how open and accepting they are to allow their son/daughter to see them. Of course, the very fact that they are so proud of allowing their child to spend time with another race is subtly racist in itself, because if they were completely color blind, they wouldn't even think to mention it.

hamishspence
2009-02-01, 03:23 PM
added to which, pre-3rd ed, there were occasional mentions (the half-red half-blue Redeemed dragon of Myth Drannor, for example.

In third ed, the Half-drgon template can be added to almost anything- including dragons

In 4th ed, there are Polychromatic dragons- dragons who had another colour of dragon in their family tree, and manifest a power from that colour, as well as plain hybrids, who have normal powers of one colour, but can appear as anything from normal, to mixed, to the other colour.

So you could have a creature that looks exactly like a White, with all the powers of a Red.

So, yes, dragons interbreeding is a concept of long standing.

Izmir Stinger
2009-02-01, 04:34 PM

And where exactly did you think all those purple, orange and teal dragons came from?

hamishspence
2009-02-01, 04:39 PM
Purple and orange were in Dragon Compendium- they were true-breeding species.

in 4th ed, Purple became the Deep Dragon.

Teal, however, is cited in 4th ed as typical colour for a green-blue hybrid.

A white/red one would be a Pink Dragon ("No pink dragons and stuff") :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2009-02-01, 05:09 PM
What's so wrong with dragons of different colors interbreeding anyway?:smallconfused:

hamishspence
2009-02-01, 05:15 PM
nothing whatsoever. Though 4th ed Draconomicon refers to such hybrids as "mules" and its not clear if they are fertile or not.

I think the rule is hybrid takes after one parent, as do its offspring, but from then, powers from the other bloodline can sometimes crop up.

In 3.5, on the other hand, just applying the appropiate Half-dragon template works.

AslanCross
2009-02-01, 06:01 PM
I wonder what color black and green would produce, though.

Maybe a striped variety?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-01, 06:20 PM
I wonder what color black and green would produce, though.

Maybe a striped variety?Black Dragon + White Dragon = Chess Dragon!

JonahFalcon
2009-02-01, 06:37 PM
Whatever a black/green hybrid would be, it'd have blood like an Alien.

thubby
2009-02-01, 06:56 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, who said they interbreed? What, he can't have a friend come over? And even if it is a date, does every date a teenager has lead to breeding?

yes, yes it does :smalltongue:

honestly, a 1/2 breed like that would be so boring. acid+acid? blek. and it would look god-aweful

JonahFalcon
2009-02-01, 07:06 PM
yes, yes it does :smalltongue:

honestly, a 1/2 breed like that would be so boring. acid+acid? blek. and it would look god-aweful

No.

Black = acid attack
Green = chlorine gas attack

Poison is not acid.

Geno9999
2009-02-01, 07:07 PM
*note; the following post does not reflect an opinion of an frequent DnD player.*
Um, dude? Why are you freakin' out? It's not like each color is an separate species altogether. their still part of the species "Draco" or "Dragon". Now for some, it's the Half-humaniod Half-dragon that can send squick.

Mando Knight
2009-02-01, 07:39 PM
No.

Black = acid attack

Poison is not acid.

Pure chlorine gas is quite acidic. In 3.5 Greens have a corrosive acid breath. In 4e they have poison breath to make them different from other breeds. (seriously, in 3.5 both blacks and greens have access to plant growth as an SLA, immunity to acid, and water breathing. BORING. Mix it up, will ya?)

Polychromes aren't anything surprising to me at all: their chief goddess herself is pentachromatic, so a polychromatic would by no means be a ridiculous concept to the lesser chromatics (reds might object, though), especially if they're pious.

thubby
2009-02-01, 07:41 PM
No.

Black = acid attack

Poison is not acid.

from the SRD

Breath Weapon (Su)

A green dragon has one type of breath weapon, a cone of corrosive (acid) gas. :smallconfused:

David Argall
2009-02-01, 08:20 PM
The standard D&D, or fantasy in general, rule is that 1 male [any type] + 1 female [any type] = 3. So the presumption would be that a black dragon would prefer another black, but in a pinch would accept a different color, or anything else that held still or didn't resist too much.

Quorothorn
2009-02-01, 08:30 PM

A white/red one would be a Pink Dragon ("No pink dragons and stuff") :smallbiggrin:

+1 for Sword in the Stone reference. :smallbiggrin:

Prak
2009-02-01, 08:49 PM
Pure chlorine gas is quite acidic. In 3.5 Greens have a corrosive acid breath. In 4e they have poison breath to make them different from other breeds. (seriously, in 3.5 both blacks and greens have access to plant growth as an SLA, immunity to acid, and water breathing. BORING. Mix it up, will ya?)

Polychromes aren't anything surprising to me at all: their chief goddess herself is pentachromatic, so a polychromatic would by no means be a ridiculous concept to the lesser chromatics (reds might object, though), especially if they're pious.

Actually, with as arrogant and domineering reds are... I could see them the perpetrators of quite a number of half breeds.

Mando Knight
2009-02-01, 09:09 PM
Actually, with as arrogant and domineering reds are... I could see them the perpetrators of quite a number of half breeds.

True... so long as they get to be the dominant partner of the pairing...

Assassin89
2009-02-01, 09:11 PM
I'm seeing the interbreeding of the black and green dragons as part of some plot for creating a more powerful monster.

Prak
2009-02-01, 09:31 PM
True... so long as they get to be the dominant partner of the pairing...

they're the strongest type shy of gold dragons, they will be.

Finwe
2009-02-01, 09:49 PM
they're the strongest type shy of gold dragons, they will be.

About equal with silvers, too.

Prak
2009-02-01, 09:53 PM
are they? didn't remember that. But you see my point.

Rotipher
2009-02-01, 11:05 PM
IIRC, there was a hybrid silver/mist dragon in a 2E-era Dungeon adventure. Not a chromatic mix, but another sign that it's plausible, even in pre-3E scenarios.

Also, there's a scene in one of the (very few) Mystara novels, in which a very old and aggressive male red dragon corners a much younger gold dragon female. Only the timely arrival of her future mate saved the she-dragon from being raped by the powerful red.

3Power
2009-02-02, 12:11 AM
According to the draconomicon (pg 27) Dragons of different colors interbreed, but such cases are extremely rare. It's also stated that the offspring of such pairings are usually left to fend for themselves.

Since I'm guessing you just use the half-dragon template for such creatures, it seems like the offspring gets an additional breath weapon, immunity, and stats from the template.

Much more odd than that part of the comic, however, Is that black dragons tend to eat their young if they don't leave the nest by a certain age after giving a fair warning (Which, if that younger dragon truly was a young adult, should have been two age categories ago). I know, it's the giant's campaign setting, and rule of funny, but I just thought I'd point that out. :smalltongue:

Shott
2009-02-02, 12:37 AM
Maybe Burlewian dragons have attended some sort of family counseling?

Highwarlord
2009-02-02, 12:40 AM
I took it as a joke on the idea of parents who are subconsciously racist, but trying to not be.

I actually took the open minded thing to mean they were open minded about their kid having a party while they were gone.

David Argall
2009-02-02, 01:26 AM
black dragons tend to eat their young if they don't leave the nest by a certain age after giving a fair warning (Which, if that younger dragon truly was a young adult, should have been two age categories ago).
"Tend" means there are exceptions, and a female with a dead mate and one surviving child would seem a prime candidate to be one of those exceptions.

snoopy13a
2009-02-02, 01:29 AM
It was implied that they could hook up not necessarily produce viable offspring.

the_tick_rules
2009-02-02, 02:00 AM
Why not? Dragons apparently get down with humans from time to time, why not each other?

isocum
2009-02-02, 04:34 AM
i thought when dragons interbreed, color&breath attack comes from one parent, probably the mother. for example when a red male mates a green female, offspring would be green. or was it some certain setting, and not a general rule?

Optimystik
2009-02-02, 04:44 AM
i thought when dragons interbreed, color&breath attack comes from one parent, probably the mother. for example when a red male mates a green female, offspring would be green. or was it some certain setting, and not a general rule?

From Draconomicon: all in-game statistical attributes come from one parent or the other. For example, the offspring of a blue and green dragon would either have the powers and abilities of a blue or those of a green, not a mix of both. Appearance, however, could be a mix, or it could even have the appearance of one and the ability of another. Fire-breathing black dragons are possible this way.

daggaz
2009-02-02, 04:52 AM
No.

Black = acid attack

Poison is not acid.

Green acidic blood? Sounds like an Alien to me. Besides, chlorine is usually highly acidic when organically bound, and is highly corrosive in its natural state.

ghost_warlock
2009-02-02, 04:53 AM

Purples are also in 2nd ed. They has a lazer breath weapon! :smallbiggrin: Well, they can also breath an energy cloud thingy...

Kranden
2009-02-04, 03:14 AM
Wow this thread is getting a little too dorky even for these forums

Manga Shoggoth
2009-02-04, 05:18 AM
Black Dragon + White Dragon = Chess Dragon!

I was going to suggest a grey dragon myself, but the implications of this are sooo much more interesting.

I can see such a dragon looking down at a chess board, a mere symbol of its macheveliian (sp?) and labyrinthine plotting...

King of Nowhere
2009-02-04, 05:31 AM
You just give me the idea: sooner or later I'm going to put my party on the path of the fearsome pink dragon!

AtomicKitKat
2009-02-04, 06:23 AM
I don't see a problem with the appearance. Granted, the teeth would be messed up as hell, but all Chromatics have crocodile-like snaggle-teeth. Would have a Green's headcrest/frill, with the Black's forward-facing horns. Would likely breathe some kind of acid blob that could knock you out.:smallcool:

Athaniar
2009-02-04, 08:19 AM
Wow this thread is getting a little too dorky even for these forums

If you really think that, you obviously haven't been around these forums long enough.

ericgrau
2009-02-04, 09:16 AM
It was implied that they could hook up not necessarily produce viable offspring.

His mother said it, grandchildren are implied :smalltongue:.

Telonius
2009-02-04, 09:31 AM
I think the more important question is... would the resultant offspring be colored as though it were in RGB, or in CMYK? The PHB dragons seem to suggest RGB, since they have red, green, and blue; a white dragon would have equal heritage of the three. But then that leaves the black dragon ... how to explain this conundrum? :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2009-02-04, 09:38 AM
From Draconomicon: all in-game statistical attributes come from one parent or the other. For example, the offspring of a blue and green dragon would either have the powers and abilities of a blue or those of a green, not a mix of both. Appearance, however, could be a mix, or it could even have the appearance of one and the ability of another. Fire-breathing black dragons are possible this way.

I think this is how I would want it to work. Sounds neat and logical (and still able to fool players if the GM is evilll).

As for the whole interbreeding thing: As someone pointed out, dragons seems to enjoy doing it with various humanoids, why not other dragons?
Besides it is a (not only D&D) fantasy staple, the interbreeding thing. Personally there would be much weirder things out there... Why not the gnome / elf combo, or the Catgirl - Wolfman hybrid...

Mando Knight
2009-02-04, 11:34 AM

You may have been thinking of something else entirely. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay_of_Pok%C3%A9mon#Pok.C3.A9mon_breeding)

Donald
2009-02-04, 01:26 PM
What's so wrong with dragons of different colors interbreeding anyway?:smallconfused:

Nothing, but let's see them try to rent a liar in the nice part of the kingdom. :smalltongue:

I want to breed a red dragon with a silver. The baby should be candy apple red with silver highlights. It's look just like a 57 Chevy with the chrome package. :smallsmile:

mcv
2009-02-04, 01:59 PM
Green acidic blood? Sounds like an Alien to me. Besides, chlorine is usually highly acidic when organically bound, and is highly corrosive in its natural state.

How about simple hydrochloric acid?

Scarlet Knight
2009-02-04, 10:29 PM
So you could have a creature that looks exactly like a White, with all the powers of a Red.
So, yes, dragons interbreeding is a concept of long standing.

Red dragon biddy #1: "Have you seen Scarlet's new baby?"
Red dragon biddy #2: "I KNOW! White as a yeti's backside."
Red dragon biddy #1: "She say's it's an albino!"
Red dragon biddy #2: "Riiiight! And how long ago was her skiing trip?"

Ledeas
2009-02-05, 01:23 AM
I am not sure what scares me more, the fact this went on for 2 pages, or the fact I enjoyed reading it.

I got a better idea about matting habits of Dragons. It's your game, make it work how you want.

besides I got lots of black dragon Friends.

Snake-Aes
2009-02-05, 08:19 AM
Apparently dragons breed with whatever they feel like.

I fear for the day adventuring parties will go out hunting red-half-dragon dire badgers

MorhgorRB
2009-02-05, 08:24 AM
I was going to suggest a grey dragon myself, but the implications of this are sooo much more interesting.

I can see such a dragon looking down at a chess board, a mere symbol of its macheveliian (sp?) and labyrinthine plotting...

No, no! It'll count as a lawful evil dragon, and a party of level one's will have to play chess and beat him... for thier lives!

>.>!

kaptainkrutch
2009-02-06, 02:32 AM

Deep dragons were around before 4e came out. I have a deep dragon miniature.

AtomicKitKat
2009-02-06, 12:44 PM
or the Catgirl - Wolfman hybrid...

Someone out there has already written fanfiction that would lead to the creation of one. 2 words: Gallon. Felicia.

hamishspence
2009-02-06, 01:31 PM
I mentioned that in the Black Or Purple thread- what I mean to say was, the Deep Dragon, a type of very long standing, got renamed the Purple in 4th ed, whereas in 3.5 Deep Dragons and Purple Dragons were separate.

Same applies to the Sand Dragon and the Brown- separate in 3.5, the same (sand dragon renamed Brown) in 4th.

Wanton Soup
2009-02-06, 05:36 PM
And even if it is a date, does every date a teenager has lead to breeding?

Hmmm. I take it you're still pree-teen then:smallconfused:

Mum's away.

Girl likes you.

You already have some "instructional manuals" for inspiration.

You're a Young ADULT.

And you play canasta with her...?

Wanton Soup
2009-02-06, 05:44 PM
Why not? Dragons apparently get down with humans from time to time, why not each other?

I'm pretty sure they change form before getting on with a human....

Ouch. Or no fun at all.:smallredface:

Glyphic
2009-02-06, 05:51 PM

Mum's away.

Girl likes you.

You're a Young ADULT.

I'd say this also depends on the proximity of the Green's mother, or possibly father... :smalleek:

Quorothorn
2009-02-06, 06:14 PM

Mum's away.

Girl likes you.

You're a Young ADULT.

What's wrong with canasta? :smallconfused:

I'm pretty sure they change form before getting on with a human....

Ouch. Or no fun at all.:smallredface:

That's probably Standard Operating Procedure, yeah. You might, however, find occasional exceptions, but I don't know how far we want to think in that direction.

Occasional Sage
2009-02-07, 08:16 PM
Chromatic dragon inbreeding goes back to a 1e Dragon Magazine article titled "Completing the Color Wheel" or something to that effect. The purple dragon from 2e was originally stated out there.

His mother said it, grandchildren are assumed :smalltongue:.

Fixed that for you.

EDIT: The DragonDex (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/) lists that article title as "The Missing Dragons" and gives the issue number as 65(28), whatever that means. Ah, and RPGnet (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=7974) has an index of articles, showing this in #65.

Wardog
2009-02-08, 09:39 AM
Nothing, but let's see them try to rent a liar in the nice part of the kingdom. :smalltongue:

Q: Where does a 10-ton hybrid dragon with fire and/or acid breath rent a lair?

A: Anywhere it wants to!

derfenrirwolv
2009-02-08, 10:27 AM
Theres no indication that any mating would actualy be fruitfull. From the young couples perspective, thats probably a bonus in the relationship.

hamishspence
2009-02-08, 10:42 AM
its rare (very rare) for it to occur or be fruitful, but it is sometimes fruitful, and has appeared in multiple editions of D&D.

Chronos
2009-02-08, 03:19 PM
I'd be interested in what Ms. Green's family thought of the pairing, since they would almost certainly have thought of black dragons as inferior. Or, similarly, how Mamma Black would have reacted to Junior dating a white dragon.

Wanton Soup
2009-02-08, 04:28 PM
What's wrong with canasta? :smallconfused:

You still need a good hand.

Wha wha whaaa

Optimystik
2009-02-08, 05:28 PM
You still need a good hand.

Wha wha whaaa

That joke was so bad it needs a will save for half! :smallamused: