PDA

View Full Version : Is "arrogant to asume not made enemies" ok?

Chaman
2009-02-01, 10:06 PM
wouldn't "naïve" be more suitable?

or

"Arrogant as to asume you didn't needed protection from your enemies"?

Kish
2009-02-01, 10:35 PM
From the dragon's perspective, it's pure arrogance, as Vaarsuvius casually killed her son and thought nothing of it.

Optimystik
2009-02-01, 10:38 PM
"Naive" implies that the thought of being scried on by enemies simply had not occurred to Vaarsuvius. "Arrogant" implies that he considered it, and then deemed it to be a negligible risk to one of his abilities.

Either is likely, so I'm not sure why the dragon considered the arrogance idea more favorable than V simply forgetting. On the other hand, for someone who remembers to consistently turn invisible before making water, not realizing he might have a powerful enemy does seem slightly less likely than not caring.

CapnBludd
2009-02-01, 10:41 PM
Naive would be thinking there were no enemies, arrogant would be not caring if there were any due to thinking s/he was so powerful s/he could handle any that came.

Kaytara
2009-02-02, 01:03 AM
To be honest, who could Vaarsuvius expect to go after them? Xykon would be able to break through any abjuration V could put up, anyway, and while V would probably succeed against the Linear Guild, if they failed to scry on him they would just scry on some other member of the Order. In short, there was no reason for Vaarsuvius to assume that someone was interested in him, personally.

Also, if V had shielded himself from scrying, he might have inadvertedly cut himself off from any attempts to contact them Haley might have made, too.

SPoD
2009-02-02, 08:02 AM
Either is likely, so I'm not sure why the dragon considered the arrogance idea more favorable than V simply forgetting.

Because she watched V interact with other people for at least five minutes?

I think what we have here is an empirical observation on the dragon's part that V IS arrogant, and than working backwards to extrapolate that this must be why V didn't bother shielding herself from scrying. Not the other way around.

David Argall
2009-02-04, 02:55 AM
Now it is arrogant for V to think she needs no defenders, but it is not clear it even ranks as naive to assume there is nobody coming after him. V has only been a minion up until now, and her crimes are at the orders of Roy. In effect, V may have pulled the trigger, but it was at the order of Roy.

TreesOfDeath
2009-02-04, 03:45 AM
Arrogant makes sense if your a pissed off mommy dragon

magic9mushroom
2009-02-04, 07:49 AM
I think the dragon was referring to V's hubris in assuming that she knew who all her enemies were.

Tom90deg
2009-02-04, 08:43 AM
Now it is arrogant for V to think she needs no defenders, but it is not clear it even ranks as naive to assume there is nobody coming after him. V has only been a minion up until now, and her crimes are at the orders of Roy. In effect, V may have pulled the trigger, but it was at the order of Roy.

True, but I think Roy, if he was the one caught, would at least offer some kind of apologies or explication. All V said was basically, "Yes, I did it, and I'm not sorry."

ericgrau
2009-02-04, 12:28 PM
IMO it's just a matter of terminology. Maybe naive would have been more accurate, maybe not. Either way "arrogant" is close enough and works for the dragon's zing.

Querzis
2009-02-04, 02:18 PM
Either is likely, so I'm not sure why the dragon considered the arrogance idea more favorable than V simply forgetting. On the other hand, for someone who remembers to consistently turn invisible before making water, not realizing he might have a powerful enemy does seem slightly less likely than not caring.

...Slightly less likely? Is that sarcasm? Arrogance is V most defining character traits while I never saw him being especially naive. The dragon just had to spy him more then two minutes to realize that, yes, its freaking arrogance.

Funny I dont remember Roy asking V to disintegrate the dragon. In fact, I remember him being quite scared by that.

Saying a captain is responsible for all the actions of his soldiers no matter what is already a really Lawfull Stupid way of thinking. But saying that the leader of a freaking adventurers party is responsible for all the actions of his comrades no matter what is even beyong that: its Lawfull Miko.

David Argall
2009-02-04, 03:44 PM
Funny I dont remember Roy asking V to disintegrate the dragon. In fact, I remember him being quite scared by that.
Roy is asking how to deal with the dragon, and is entirely cool with killing it. He merely worries about how. There is no "you should not have done that."

Saying a captain is responsible for all the actions of his soldiers no matter what is already a really Lawfull Stupid way of thinking. But saying that the leader of a freaking adventurers party is responsible for all the actions of his comrades no matter what is even beyong that: its Lawfull Miko.
It is also standard law. You are part of a gang doing something illegal, they can routinely send you away for any incidental crimes one of your partners does along the way. Roy here can not plea it was V's crime, particularly when he was in fact in favor of it.

NikkTheTrick
2009-02-05, 12:20 AM
It is also standard law. You are part of a gang doing something illegal, they can routinely send you away for any incidental crimes one of your partners does along the way. Roy here can not plea it was V's crime, particularly when he was in fact in favor of it.
Which is funny considering the previous post:

V has only been a minion up until now, and her crimes are at the orders of Roy. In effect, V may have pulled the trigger, but it was at the order of Roy.
V is a part of OotS and is 100% responsible for killing the dragon even if he would have been explicitly ordered by V to do so. In fact, V can also be argued to have part in Roy's and Belkar's crimes.

As for Roy, what he is or is not responsible for is irrelevant to the topic. Please do not hijack the thread.

Optimystik
2009-02-05, 01:25 AM
...Slightly less likely? Is that sarcasm? Arrogance is V most defining character traits while I never saw him being especially naive. The dragon just had to spy him more then two minutes to realize that, yes, its freaking arrogance.

An understatement isn't sarcasm, you know. For it to be sarcasm I would have had to state the opposite, (e.g. He's not arrogant at all!) which I didn't.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program :smallsigh: