PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

Exeson
2009-02-02, 02:03 AM
So yeh, a large part of England has been brought to a standstill because of the snow. Outside my house it is 7 inches deep but at some places it has reached a foot.

I have no way of getting into school, especially with my knee so that means I get a day free. YAY!

Just for those who don't know the official advice is not to travel unless absolutely necessary, the have already been 20 accidents on the roads in the Surrey area alone.

So anyone else benefited from this? or indeed suffered?

onasuma
2009-02-02, 02:06 AM
I have benefitted. Like hell am i WALKING 2.5 miles to get into school with at least 4" outside. Also, its pretty.

Ethrael
2009-02-02, 02:51 AM
Benefit: School's off! For me at least. I'm in no way walking all the way up there to study Thomas Hardy. :smallbiggrin:

Drawback: Every single bus in London is off service, and 7/8 of the tube is off and now I have no way of meeting up with my friends other than walking... :smallfrown:

Photo of my street!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Ethrael/SNOW.jpg

And I'm on lower ground than most parts of London...

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-02, 02:57 AM
That sounds really bad about the buses.:smalleek: How deep is the snow in London, Ethrael? Over here it looks to be 1 inch deep at the most. And the road which goes past my university flat is snow-free in places as well.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-02, 02:58 AM
SNOW SNOW SNOW!
SNOW!
SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!
*is remarkably calm*

Ethrael
2009-02-02, 02:58 AM
It's about 5-7 inches deep (I think! I prefer metric) but I haven't been outside yet, it's mostly just through the window. :smallbiggrin:

Malfunctioned
2009-02-02, 02:59 AM
Good News: Possibly no college

Bad News: Girlfriend at other end of Central Line :smallfrown:

and it is very pretty :smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-02, 03:00 AM
1 inch is about 2.5 cm (I prefer Imperial:smalltongue:). I'll need to go to the shops later (I hate cold weather, but it's at least stopped snowing now).

Kaelaroth
2009-02-02, 03:03 AM
Hah! It's still snowing here in fair Londinium! MWA-HAH-HAH! [/yes, I know Tempest doesn't like snow]

Dihan
2009-02-02, 03:37 AM
We have snow but it's not very deep. As far as I know school is still on for me.

I still have to walk though.

Edit: Apparently Wales is getting more tonight and tomorrow.

Totally Guy
2009-02-02, 04:17 AM
Decided to walk into work this morning to avoid the drive. Took a bit longer but I might start making a habit of doing that.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-02, 04:20 AM
My school got closed today because of the snow. Sort of good and sort of bad.
Good: I don't have to do any work today.
Bad: I end up missing Science class, which I really enjoy.

In other news:
SNOW!

Dihan
2009-02-02, 05:31 AM
I walked to school, up hills both way just to find that the teacher had been snowed in... So I came home.

Now I feel like I have brain freeze.

Vizen
2009-02-02, 05:35 AM
Aww man! Lucky people! I've never seen snow (through my own eyes and nothing else, that is) before. =(

A friend of mine won a competition a few months back and she's flying out to London soon and is sooo excited over the snow. Lucky. Wish she was taking me with her. >.>

Z-dan
2009-02-02, 05:51 AM
I have snow :smallbiggrin:
and it's still snowing, apparently its going to get a but heavier later...
right now its about an inch thick, and its at a point where the snow's just drifting like dust motes... picked up my partner from work this morning stopped for breakfast on the way back, and within 20 minutes a good couple of centimetres had settled on the car :smalleek: luckily I don't have to do any more driving today... never seem to get proper snow here though- I wanna see a foot's worth of snow :smallfrown:

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-02, 05:57 AM
The buses are stil running on time in Wolverhampton, but the driver mentioned that they may need to stop later (it was snowing quite alot when I caught the bus to come back home).

Earl of Purple
2009-02-02, 05:57 AM
I usually walk to college, I'm that close. But college is closed to all non-resident students, so I'm slacking off. YAY!

Dr. Bath
2009-02-02, 06:01 AM
Everything is broken, "Severe delays, Suspended," they say "Suspended, what are you, an idiot? Give up already" they say. So I gave up and went back to bed.

Now I shall make a snowman.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-02, 06:02 AM
Everything is broken, "Severe delays, Suspended," they say "Suspended, what are you, an idiot? Give up already" they say. So I gave up and went back to bed.

Now I shall make a snowman.

My sister keeps asking for a snowball fight but I feel too warm and fuzzy to go outside and get cold, wet and grumpy.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-02-02, 06:04 AM
I. Hate. You. All!

It's snowing at home (inches of it in a place that hasn't seen snow for years), it's snowing in all the coastal towns and areas, naturally over Bodmin; London's gridlocked (much to the giggles of our snow - veterans of East US who'll no doubt comment on our joy and weakness as soon as they come online); and guess where it's not snowing?
In college.
Though it's meant to soon. We can see the snowy clouds coming down from the north, but at this point we're slowly worrying about what'll happen if the buses don't run and we're all stuck in college.
Blech.

However: it's snowing! I can actually walk/play in snow tonight (hopefully)! For the first time ever!
And guaranteed (tch) snow tomorrow; hopefully mum'll let me have the day off as our buses break down and catch on fire in normal weather, so she won't want me stuck for x hours at the side of the road in a freezing bus.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-02, 06:06 AM
I. Hate. You. All!

It's snowing at home (inches of it in a place that hasn't seen snow for years), it's snowing in all the coastal towns and areas, naturally over Bodmin; London's gridlocked (much to the giggles of our snow - veterans of East US who'll no doubt comment on our joy and weakness as soon as they come online); and guess where it's not snowing?
In college.
Though it's meant to soon. We can see the snowy clouds coming down from the north, but at this point we're slowly worrying about what'll happen if the buses don't run and we're all stuck in college.
Blech.

However: it's snowing! I can actually walk/play in snow tonight (hopefully)! For the first time ever!
And guaranteed (tch) snow tomorrow; hopefully mum'll let me have the day off as our buses break down and catch on fire in normal weather, so she won't want me stuck for x hours at the side of the road in a freezing bus.

Good luck with that last part. My mum would force me to go to school if it was open right now.

Dr. Bath
2009-02-02, 06:13 AM
hopefully mum'll let me have the day off as our buses break down and catch on fire in normal weather, so she won't want me stuck for x hours at the side of the road in a freezing bus.

Well, that has its advantages in cold weather. What with fire being hot.

Z-dan
2009-02-02, 06:14 AM
This reminds me of... (if you don't like anecdotes look away now)
Back in my day, when I went t' college it snowed and I had t' be up at 5am, drive on my scooter down t' train station, crash into a snowbank which messed up my front mudguard, miss the first train and get the second, which was delayed because of the snow, cross the whole of Norwich on icy pavements to get from the station to the college, only to find the college had been shut for the day. Aye, I listened out on t' wireless but nothing was mentioned, and when I asked someone at t' college they said a message went out half an hour before it was supposed to open >.> And you try telling young'uns of today...

Incidentally, 'my day' was about 3 years ago...

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-02, 06:14 AM
I have benefitted. Like hell am i WALKING 2.5 miles to get into school with at least 4" outside. Also, its pretty.

Aw dammit O! You get a day off school, all I get is to skive off a lesson cus of a substitute teacher

Thufir
2009-02-02, 06:17 AM
Meh. Snow's kinda pretty, but the ground is way too slippery for my taste. Also, I need new shoes.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-02, 06:25 AM
I take it the tread on your current shoes is going, Thufir? I almost slipped a few times earlier (luckily, I can balance quite well).

Thufir
2009-02-02, 06:29 AM
Well, the shoes are kinda falling apart, a bit, and my feet are getting wet.

I have realy good balance as well, but that rapidly becomes irrelevant if I can't trust the ground, which is why I really don't like slipperiness.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-02-02, 06:37 AM
Well, that has its advantages in cold weather. What with fire being hot.

If it's a flamey fire. This was a smoky, not - really - very - hot - at - all fire involving chocking all the eccentric/brainy kids sitting at the back of the bus.
Oddly, the interior of the bus was colder than outside. What's that word Physics people? Endothermic? Taking heat away from somewhere to fuel the fire?
'Cause that's what was happeneing on our bus. Prolly.

And it ridiculous. The snow clouds are literally detouring the college. :smallannoyed:

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-02, 06:38 AM
That's annoying about your shoes. :smallfrown: I have trouble finding ones which don't fall apart easily. I found that walking through snow wasn't that bad due to the ground being quite even (I'm careful when it's cold anyway in case the pavement turns out to be slippery).

Dihan
2009-02-02, 07:32 AM
The snow here is melting - there goes the chance of our proper snow sticking.

Then again... "Eira mān, eira mawr". As my grandfather used to say.

Calamity
2009-02-04, 07:35 PM
My area is no more than a mile away from the town centre where my college is. On Tuesday, there was hardly any snow left around, but it was inches deep in the town centre. Did our college close? Nooooooo, despite the fact all of my lessons were completely pointless due to absences anyway. What a waste of time. And to make matters worse, my old school which happens to be the area where there was hardly any snow left was closed! Typical.

Anyway, rant aside, I nearly fell 3 times on the way to college today, which would've been funny. For everyone who isn't me that is. :smalltongue: It's been really icy today rather than snowy, but it's melting away now.

I've been wishing for snow all night. I really have. No sign of it though. :smallfrown:

Eira mān, eira mawr
Don't we even get a translation? >.> That's... that's cold!
Gee, now I know why I started lurking, that was awful.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-02-04, 07:53 PM
Let's see, I know Mawr means 'great', Eira i suppose is the same as Eire?

So, 'Ireland cold, Ireland great' is my guess, which doesn't really make sense, but...

Anyways, my first reaction when I heard the news was...

"London's a wimp!"

Seriously, they shut the entire city down over less than a foot of snow?!?! Wow! It's not a snowfall worth talking about if it's less than a foot, in Canada at least.

Egiam
2009-02-04, 07:57 PM
I live in Alaska, USA You have no idea. We get waist-deep snow. Several years ago I made a snowman in may. Last year we had a week were the tempurature did not rise above -10, usually
-20 (Fareighnheit SP?). Global warming is real here. We are having a weird winter. For a while the temp was below zero, then rose to about 30 something. THEN went back down to -15. The schools were closed for days, and the entire town was covered in ICE.

Calamity
2009-02-04, 08:05 PM
Let's see, I know Mawr means 'great', Eira i suppose is the same as Eire?

So, 'Ireland cold, Ireland great' is my guess, which doesn't really make sense, but...

Heh... Ireland? I highly doubt that.

Anyways, my first reaction when I heard the news was...

"London's a wimp!"

Seriously, they shut the entire city down over less than a foot of snow?!?! Wow! It's not a snowfall worth talking about if it's less than a foot, in Canada at least.

We Brits cannot handle the snow at all. It causes absolute chaos here. It's just how it is.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-02-04, 08:22 PM
I was going to edit it to add in

the only word I'm 100% certain on is 'mawr' which I know means 'great'

THAC0
2009-02-04, 09:38 PM
I live in Alaska, USA You have no idea. We get waist-deep snow. Several years ago I made a snowman in may. Last year we had a week were the tempurature did not rise above -10, usually
-20 (Fareighnheit SP?). Global warming is real here. We are having a weird winter. For a while the temp was below zero, then rose to about 30 something. THEN went back down to -15. The schools were closed for days, and the entire town was covered in ICE.

AND we have volcanoes.

I really was rooting for Redoubt to blow in January. Then we could describe the month as follows: -20 for two weeks, 40 for two weeks, plus so much ice that we shut the city down for days, and then back down to the negatives and a volcano explodes!

KerfuffleMach2
2009-02-05, 12:47 AM
So yeh, a large part of England has been brought to a standstill because of the snow. Outside my house it is 7 inches deep but at some places it has reached a foot.

I have no way of getting into school, especially with my knee so that means I get a day free. YAY!

Just for those who don't know the official advice is not to travel unless absolutely necessary, the have already been 20 accidents on the roads in the Surrey area alone.

So anyone else benefited from this? or indeed suffered?

Seven inches of snow, and you get off school?

Man.

You people can't take snow at all.

A foot here earns a consideration of no school. Usually followed by school.

Felixaar
2009-02-05, 01:50 AM

DON'T TEASE!

*runs away weeping*

Blah. Felix want snow.

thubby
2009-02-05, 01:55 AM
snow, what snow? :smallconfused:
*steps outside into shin deep snow* oh you mean that snow.
enough snow to be fun/impede driving, not enough to buy me another week to study for that math test. :smalltongue:

Dihan
2009-02-05, 03:41 AM
Don't we even get a translation? >.> That's... that's cold!

Fine...

"Eira mān, eira mawr" literally means "Light snow, large snow", but the intended meaning is "light snow, lots of snow".

I was going to edit it to add in

the only word I'm 100% certain on is 'mawr' which I know means 'great'

You got that word right. :smalltongue:

On a side note: I recognise your name to mean "White (something I don't recognise) the Darkness" in Welsh. Just so you know, " 'r" is only used in place of "yr" when it's before a female word and "gwyll" is a male word. :smalltongue:

On topic: It's snowing again!

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 03:43 AM
I have another day off school. That's three days this week the school has been shut because of snow. :smallbiggrin:

Dihan
2009-02-05, 03:46 AM
My school has a reputation for never closing. It could be a zombie apocalypse and school would still be on! Though it did close when no teachers at all were able to get in because of black ice on roads that the council hadn't gritted.

banjo1985
2009-02-05, 05:44 AM
Fours day in a row that I've managed to get into work. I swear, snow is only fun if it makes it impossible to get to work, otherwise it's just a damn nuisance.

Also, they say the roads are bad because we're running out of grit. Seriously, grit? It's sandy grains mixed with salt...how hard can it be to make?

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 05:46 AM
Fours day in a row that I've managed to get into work. I swear, snow is only fun if it makes it impossible to get to work, otherwise it's just a damn nuisance.

Also, they say the roads are bad because we're running out of grit. Seriously, grit? It's sandy grains mixed with salt...how hard can it be to make?

Exactly, if we get the day off from school, we play in the snow, if we have to go to school, we hide in fear of getting pelted, because there are some mean and sadistic kids at my school. Some of them pelt moving cars with snowballs, now that is just stupid. I usually just use a large black folder (normally used for D.T lessons) as a shield, it actually works.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-05, 05:51 AM
One bus which I was going to take to the shops earlier was apparently delayed for half an hour.:smalleek: I know it came from Temford, but the snow where I am is just light and powdery, and the roads were pretty much clear before 9:00. Only 4 people in my class turned up on Tuesday (to be fair, a lot of them were parents who had to stay at home with their children due to snow days).

Castaras
2009-02-05, 05:54 AM
Too much snow for me to go to school again. =D

And we're likely to get more! =O

banjo1985
2009-02-05, 06:01 AM
As long as it's enough to stop me getting into work completely tomorrow then everythings peachy. I'm fed up of valiantly trying to get into the university and actually suceeding. :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2009-02-05, 06:06 AM
I'm buying Grit Salt right now for work. It's difficult to find at the moment so I've been forced to get 2 tonne bags instead of the 25kg ones.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-05, 06:08 AM
How heavy is 2 tonnes? (I'm not very good with Metric, but I know 25 KGs is about 4 stone, or 56 Lbs).

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 06:11 AM
How heavy is 2 tonnes? (I'm not very good with Metric, but I know 25 KGs is about 4 stone, or 56 Lbs).

No idea, I'm just happy to have another day off, gives me time to relax and less homework too.

Phaedra
2009-02-05, 06:45 AM
As long as it's enough to stop me getting into work completely tomorrow then everythings peachy. I'm fed up of valiantly trying to get into the university and actually suceeding. :smalltongue:

You could just not try, like my supervisor who's just cancelled our meeting on me. Pah. Damn snow.

Player_Zero
2009-02-05, 06:48 AM
So, can I make a topic about the weather when it's semi-overcast with light drizzle?

Totally Guy
2009-02-05, 06:49 AM

The difference between Tonnes and Tons is about 1~2 %. A bag contains 25kg so we're talking 40 of them per tonne.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-05, 06:53 AM
:smalleek: That sounds really heavy. Good luck with moving it about.

CutePoison
2009-02-05, 06:56 AM
You fotal tailures.

In Scotland, (Read as; the North), there's yearly snow often reaching 6 inches thick, AND WE GET ON WITH IT.

In prague they get like 3 feet a year or something, but the buses run.

In London they get 3 inches and suddenly the public transport system is totally crippled.

PFFFFF.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 06:56 AM
:smalleek: That sounds really heavy. Good luck with moving it about.

It does, the most I've ever lifted at once is about 14kg. Roughly 2 stone 2lbs.

Player_Zero
2009-02-05, 07:02 AM
You fotal tailures.

In Scotland, (Read as; the North), there's yearly snow often reaching 6 inches thick, AND WE GET ON WITH IT.

PFFFFF.

Yeah, but you all have red hair and play the bagpipes in kilts.

CutePoison
2009-02-05, 07:04 AM
Yeah, but you all have red hair and play the bagpipes in kilts.

AND WE'RE MEN FOR IT.

Dihan
2009-02-05, 07:10 AM
You fotal tailures.

In prague they get like 3 feet a year or something, but the buses run.

In London they get 3 inches and suddenly the public transport system is totally crippled.

PFFFFF.

Yeah. What happened to the whole stiff upper-lip and 'just get on with it' attitude. All our snow melted and turned to black ice.

Player_Zero
2009-02-05, 07:13 AM
AND WE'RE MEN FOR IT.

I knew there was something weird about you Scots, and now I know.

Aliens obviously. No human can asexually reproduce.

Now, to inform Scotland Yar- *Gasp!* No! It can't be! They've gotten to us already!

CutePoison
2009-02-05, 07:23 AM
I knew there was something weird about you Scots, and now I know.

Aliens obviously. No human can asexually reproduce.

Now, to inform Scotland Yar- *Gasp!* No! It can't be! They've gotten to us already!

Genetic Variation amongst Scots is a lie. The world has just yet to reach the evolutionary point where they are able to witness our true form without immediately imploding.

And hey, we've got England. Gordon Brown has been lying in wait for all these years, and now we can truly own... Next; the world.

MUAHAHAHA. Ha.

Ha.

Someone go buy me chocolate. :smallfrown:

Player_Zero
2009-02-05, 07:25 AM
Improper use of a semicolon. No chocolate for you.

Also, snow is annoying on account that people go outside and play with the snow and make noise and whatnot. And me being The Grinch I can't stand all the NOISE NOISE NOISE NOISE!

CutePoison
2009-02-05, 07:32 AM
Improper use of a semicolon. No chocolate for you.

Also, snow is annoying on account that people go outside and play with the snow and make noise and whatnot. And me being The Grinch I can't stand all the NOISE NOISE NOISE NOISE!

I meant a colon. BAWS.

It's light enough, and the schools are open enough, and my house is high enough, that I am exempt from the misery of small, damp children.

Lucky me.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 07:34 AM
Genetic Variation amongst Scots is a lie. The world has just yet to reach the evolutionary point where they are able to witness our true form without immediately imploding.

And hey, we've got England. Gordon Brown has been lying in wait for all these years, and now we can truly own... Next; the world.

MUAHAHAHA. Ha.

Ha.

Someone go buy me chocolate. :smallfrown:

To be honest, I don't think I'd mind a world ruled by the Scottish, after all, they've always been best buds with the Irish, which means I'd be okay because I'm 1/4 Irish due to having an Irish nan. Long live the Irish! Finn McCool! Giant's Causeway! Guinness and Potatoes!

Phaedra
2009-02-05, 08:21 AM
I've just yelled at a kid who threw a snowball at my window. I'm now that crazy lady that swears at children. :smallfrown: But I'm trying to work and they're loud and I can't afford to replace a window if they break it.

The snow has now cancelled everything I had to do this week. I can't decide whether I'm happy about this or really annoyed.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 08:23 AM
I've just yelled at a kid who threw a snowball at my window. I'm now that crazy lady that swears at children. :smallfrown: But I'm trying to work and they're loud and I can't afford to replace a window if they break it.

The snow has now cancelled everything I had to do this week. I can't decide whether I'm happy about this or really annoyed.

Well, in my opinion, the kid deserved it. Shouldn't be throwing snowballs at windows.

The snow may have stopped me from going to school and left me without any work, but it means I have pretty much the whole day to do what I want to do. Considering that I don't go anywhere most of the time, the snow is a blessing.

Player_Zero
2009-02-05, 08:32 AM

High-five! :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-02-05, 08:44 AM
High-five! :smalltongue:

*Warms hands on small electric heater*
Toasty.
Ever notice how you can feel completely warm, but have freezing hands?