PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Elementals and Languages

Tubercular Ox
2009-02-02, 05:40 AM
So... I'm looking at my Summon Monster spell and I realize I need the Elemental languages to command my Elementals to do anything more useful than bash monsters. Right? Everyone else either speaks common or has tongues or both.

And, if you remember me from the "Build a character!" thread, I'm trapped in a less than optimized character.

Given that my bonus languages are already taken, what's the easiest way to get the four Elemental tongues? Spending 8 skill points seems terrible, dipping a level in Bard seems worse, and the only magic item I can find -- Helm of Telepathy -- is far too expensive for the current power level of the campaign. Why couldn't there be a Ring of Tongues or something?

BobVosh
2009-02-02, 05:43 AM
What class and level would help for those of us who missed the other thread.

Tubercular Ox
2009-02-02, 06:50 AM
Well, here's the particular character:
Human, Neutral Good
Str 10
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 19 (18 - +1 for 4th level)
Cha 18

Cleric 4, The Sovereign Host
Domains: Healing, Charm.

Combat Expertise
Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Augment Summoning.

Concentration 7
Diplomacy 7
Spellcraft 7
Heal 6
Know religion 5
Know planes 3

Long story short: I'm stuck with this. Time pressure a good character does not make.

But I think I'm also interested in a more general overview. I think the obvious way is to have a human Wizard. 18 int, pick them up as your bonus languages. But what about Clerics, Sorcerers, Druids, and nonhumans who might be interested in creative application of elementals?

There's the Tongues spell... which puts an extra round of prep time if you just want to be able to get your 1d4+1 elementals to fight with tactics more complicated than Zerg Rush. Wizards and Sorcs can look forward to permanency... eventually... but Clerics and especially Druids lose out there. If you're planning on using more than a few summon spells in a day, and your DM fiendishly spaces your encounters far apart, it's a serious crimp on your spell reserves, too. You could have a wand of Tongues, I suppose, but even for a Bard crafted one they're kind of pricy, although I suppose that depends on your DM. Mine's stingy.

What else is there? And why can't I find a discussion on this? Do most people's DMs just ignore the rules on communication? I had to convince mine that the templated animals spoke Common... and he would've house ruled it to Celestial/Abyssal/Infernal except I pointed out we were playing in Eberron and the fiendish/celestial animals are specifically marked as being in Lamannia, a completely different plane from Shavarath, where those languages are spoken. And while I'm on the topic, are there alternative bonus language lists hiding out somewhere for Eberron? It's weird that a Cleric's bonus languages are all Shavarathi.

mostlyharmful
2009-02-02, 07:08 AM
There's the Linguist feat from Ebberon CS, gives you more initial languages at character creation and makes Speak Language always a class skill, you could try to talk your DM into allowing you to pick it up in game in return for a flaw, they're both supposed to be from creation but if you do both at once (say from a strong knock on the head or touch of the divine, whatever) and don't get the bonus initial stuff it'll be just 1 skill point per language and only the flaw will have any effect until you next level. Sounds fair.

jcsw
2009-02-02, 07:09 AM
-Crystal Mask of Languages
-in Magic Item Compendium
-grants five specific languages.

Tubercular Ox
2009-02-04, 02:51 AM
Hm. Well, that just leaves... what would the fifth language be?

And since you mentioned the Magic Item Compendium, I borrowed a friend's copy and found the Pearl of Speech, which will give you one language, but isn't as obvious as the full face mask, since it apparently just melts into your tongue and isn't noticeable. Plus: Dirt cheap, 600 gp/language. Sure the mask is more economical, but you can buy the pearls in installments.

Finally, I found a level in Thaumaturgist is convenient for a cleric with an interest in Summon Monster, and cuts the skill point cost in half, since they have Speak Language. Much more convenient than Bard. Depends how badly you need that face slot for something else, I guess. Shame it's three levels after you first can summon elementals. It's still probably going to be my choice, because who knows, I might use the half-cost planar ally deal, there's no magic item to be deprived of, and four skill points is a lot more tolerable than eight.

bosssmiley
2009-02-04, 04:50 AM
Hm. Well, that just leaves... what would the fifth language be?

Heart? :smallamused:

Greg
2009-02-04, 06:09 AM
16k gets you a constant effect version of tongues (bard made).

Would dipping in cloistered cleric advance spells and turn undead progression? Would it give access to the knowledge domain for all spell levels? It gives speak language as a class skill and 4 extra skill points.