PDA

View Full Version : Fan Comic General Discussion

Forum Staff
2009-02-03, 11:16 PM
Since thread creation in this forum will need moderator clearance, this thread will be for general discussions about the fan comics and the new forum. That way you don't have to start a new thread for such.

If you are thinking of doing a fan comic or want to discuss the fan comic phenomenon as a whole, this is the place to talk about it.

Bayar
2009-02-04, 02:47 AM
Well, after more than one year fan comics flooded Arts & Crafts, we got our very own board to spam fill with wonderful creations of our own :biggrin:

I think that this is a great accomplishment, and would like to thank every webcomic artist that contributed so far, and welcome new artists to the "club" .

Jimorian
2009-02-04, 03:44 AM
There's a possible hybrid solution to how to post the comic images so that the 1st page of the thread doesn't bog down with image downloading.

When there's a new strip, post the inline image in that new post only, then go to the opening post and edit in a link to that new post. This way the images are within the structure of the forum, but the images are spread throughout the pages of the thread.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-04, 08:09 AM
Since thread creation in this forum will need moderator clearance...

If this is the case, what do we do when the current ABR discussion thread hits 50 pages?

Also, the current ABR comic thread is still in the Arts and Crafts forum, it really needs to be moved here to be nice and cosy with it's brethren :smallsmile:

Forum Staff
2009-02-04, 09:01 AM
If this is the case, what do we do when the current ABR discussion thread hits 50 pages?

Pretty much the same as before: Designate someone to start a new one, but then wait for a moderator to activate it. Since a moderator is needed to lock the old one anyway, they'll know they need to look in the queue for the new thread to be approved.

Also, the current ABR comic thread is still in the Arts and Crafts forum, it really needs to be moved here to be nice and cosy with it's brethren :smallsmile:

Will do.

Haruki-kun
2009-02-04, 09:54 AM
There's a possible hybrid solution to how to post the comic images so that the 1st page of the thread doesn't bog down with image downloading.

When there's a new strip, post the inline image in that new post only, then go to the opening post and edit in a link to that new post. This way the images are within the structure of the forum, but the images are spread throughout the pages of the thread.

I usually just post the newest two or three comics in the first post and throw the older ones into the archive (links).

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-04, 10:07 AM

Y'see.
That would indeed, make it have all the strips in the thread.
But 1 Some strips post comics faster then the rate of page-growing then 1-1, which would imply that they need to wait before they can actually post a comic.
2 It would imply that readers would have to search through the whole thread if they want to (re) read the comic and just not the last update.

BRC
2009-02-04, 10:45 AM
Woah, a Nifty thread...

Read My Comic! And vote on it!

Jimorian
2009-02-04, 11:24 AM
Y'see.
That would indeed, make it have all the strips in the thread.
But 1 Some strips post comics faster then the rate of page-growing then 1-1, which would imply that they need to wait before they can actually post a comic.

No. Assuming just 2 reaction posts per comic, you'd have 10 updates per 30-post thread page. Waiting for 10 comic images to load, or even 30 if it's all update posts on that page, is much better than a page with 100+ images.

2 It would imply that readers would have to search through the whole thread if they want to (re) read the comic and just not the last update.

Again no. ALL the links to the individual update posts are still in that first thread post. The comic creator has the option of either using a link that only displays that post, or can link to the post with the surrounding thread intact.

Those who are regular readers only have to use the "last page" link to get to the new stuff and will only have a few images at most to download. If all the images are in that first page, it gets harder and harder to read the longer the comic gets.

Person1123
2009-02-04, 03:28 PM
Meh. I just have the most recent comic and the cast as spoilered images and the rest as links. It's much simpler than most, and still makes it fairly user-friendly.

Trizap
2009-02-12, 01:38 AM
I've got an idea for a comic.

but it isn't based on DnD, in fact the setting itself is very far from DnD.
Its closer to sci-fi than fantasy, it takes place on a parallel-universe Earth, about 51 years into the future, and due to a series of events starting from the Year 2030, humanity sets off a series of cataclysms and wars creating powerful bio-engineered races in the process, most of them turn on them and to this day, are still hostile to humans. Humanities only hope lies in a race of bio-engineered super-soldiers called Lightbringers, the closest of all of these Bio-engineered people to humanity. but this is not my setting, this is the setting of a friend.

for more information, click this link (http://trce.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=cathisttime)

I can inkscape pretty well, I can come up with a good story and I have a good sense of humor. I just thought I would run my idea by you, people who
are experienced at this, before making it.

the comic itself is about a dysfunctional team of Lightbringers who
keep getting into bad situations.

Bayar
2009-02-13, 07:57 PM
Hey, I was drawing schetches and trying to come up with a proper script for a new webcomic. Just to gauge some interest: would anyone be interested in a more magitech webcomic ?

Tiffanie Lirle
2009-02-13, 08:01 PM
Hey, I was drawing schetches and trying to come up with a proper script for a new webcomic. Just to gauge some interest: would anyone be interested in a more magitech webcomic ?

Depends if you can explain both
A) What's Magitech? Google ain't helpin me here.

and

B) Are you actually gonna stick with this one? You do have sort of a history with webcomics. :smalltongue:

Bayar
2009-02-13, 08:05 PM
1. Magitech: technology that uses magic to run. Like rocket launchers that throw alchemical substances that are composed of a steel tube and a rune of Launch item at the end. Or an hollowed out iron golem used as a mecha. Or wands wielded as guns. that sort of thing.

2. Yes I know :sigh:. That is why i am asking before, and this time, I wont post the thing until I get at least 10 strips done in advance.

Edit: 3: What a coincidence, me too :biggrin:

Assassin89
2009-02-13, 08:16 PM
I might try to create a comic based on my D&D group, but I am not sure when I will get to drawing the images.

The difficulty I would encounter is drawing magmins, warforged, goliaths, and a set of strange armor.

Salty
2009-06-14, 05:05 PM
I'm considering posting an OotS-Style comic that I have been writing here, but could anyone tell me how strict the profanity rules are? Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-14, 05:22 PM
I'm considering posting an OotS-Style comic that I have been writing here, but could anyone tell me how strict the profanity rules are? Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Same rules apply to webcomics as they do to regular discussion. If you can't say it in a normal post, you probably can't say it in a comic.

Salty
2009-06-14, 05:41 PM
Same rules apply to webcomics as they do to regular discussion. If you can't say it in a normal post, you probably can't say it in a comic.

Yeah, I remember reading that, I just don't know what exactly wouldn't be allowed in a post, and I don't want to risk getting an infraction trying to figure it out.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-14, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I remember reading that, I just don't know what exactly wouldn't be allowed in a post, and I don't want to risk getting an infraction trying to figure it out.

Well, try to use your common sense. I'm sure minor words like crap, bitch, and @ss, while perhaps all not tolerated by the forum swear-proofer, can go under the radar in comics. Just avoid using really big swear words, like the F-word or S-word, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Mad Mask
2009-06-14, 05:53 PM
If it's used in OotS, it's fine.

At least, that's my opinion. :smallsmile:

Salty
2009-06-14, 05:53 PM
Okay, thanks! :smallsmile:

Babale
2009-06-20, 11:45 AM
Hey.

Not sure if this is where to post it, but I posted a thread for my new comic two days ago, and it still hadn't been uploaded.

Yes, the thread had a strip.

So, what do I do?

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-20, 11:57 AM
Hey.

Not sure if this is where to post it, but I posted a thread for my new comic two days ago, and it still hadn't been uploaded.

Yes, the thread had a strip.

So, what do I do?

You wait. The mods have to approve it.

It's stupid way of doing things? Perhaps. But you have to wait. It's the way things are.

Squark
2009-07-16, 08:05 PM
Also posted this in the ABR discussion thread, but I'll post it here.

I'm interested in reviving my other old comic, Lizards and Labyrinths, but with someone else doing the art (since mine is kind of bad). Is anyone interested? PM me if so. (I'm thinking of revising the plot and adding characters anyway, so I can use some feedback)

A brief blurb of what the basic theme is going to be: When Editions Collide (dealing with a world stuck in the limbo between 3.5 and 4e) I was thinking of following a couple of parties, just for the record.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-08-25, 09:08 AM
According to the Fan Comic Guidelines thread, a comic can't be posted here if it has it's own URL, or something? I plan on making a comic with it hosted on my family's website. Could someone clarify whether I can do that or not?

Rae Artemi
2009-08-25, 04:38 PM
@^:Is it OOTS style? Will you be announcing the updates on your family's website? Will there be a place to view the comic in it's entirety(sp?) on your family's site (you know, with an archive, next and previous buttons, etc.)

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-08-25, 06:18 PM
@^:Is it OOTS style? Will you be announcing the updates on your family's website? Will there be a place to view the comic in it's entirety(sp?) on your family's site (you know, with an archive, next and previous buttons, etc.)

1. Yes
2. Huh?:smallconfused:
3. Yes

SinisterPenguin
2009-08-25, 06:33 PM
1. Yes
2. Huh?:smallconfused:
3. Yes

If it's OOTS style, then you can make the thread here.

Rae Artemi
2009-08-26, 04:25 PM
If it's OOTS style, then you can make the thread here.

yes, but he cannot post the actual comic here, he can only provide links when it updates.

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-22, 07:56 PM
Is the OotS art style under copyright? Obviously, the actual characters, scenarios, locations and so on are owned by The Giant. Does the art style fall under the same copyright? Does it have a specific copyright license (like, say, Creative Commons)?

Fay Graydon
2009-12-22, 08:56 PM
Is the OotS art style under copyright? Obviously, the actual characters, scenarios, locations and so on are owned by The Giant. Does the art style fall under the same copyright? Does it have a specific copyright license (like, say, Creative Commons)?

Simple answer: No

Picasso couldn't exactly say that his art style was 100% his own AND then copyright it...
However, if you were to pain one of his pictures or use one of his paintings as part of your own, yes it would be.

So if we were to use Roy, or V in one of our own comics without his permission that would be copyright.
But simply using his style is not.

I hope this has helped :smallsmile:

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-22, 09:01 PM
I hope this has helped :smallsmile:

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. :smallsmile:

Fay Graydon
2009-12-22, 09:26 PM
Ah, thanks. That makes sense. :smallsmile:

Hehehe... Now there's something that I dont hear often :smallbiggrin:
Glad to be of help.

Darklord Bright
2009-12-22, 09:29 PM
The way I see it, apart from his actual characters, you can't really copyright stick figures.

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-22, 09:30 PM
*generally discusses fan comics.

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-23, 12:45 AM
The way I see it, apart from his actual characters, you can't really copyright stick figures.

Well, you could copyright the ratio of eye sizes. Or the male (rectangular) and female (sort of bean-shaped) body designs. Or the various kinds of eyebrows. :smalltongue:

Darklord Bright
2009-12-23, 02:35 AM
Well, you could copyright the ratio of eye sizes. Or the male (rectangular) and female (sort of bean-shaped) body designs. Or the various kinds of eyebrows. :smalltongue:

You can't really copyright rectangles and beans. :smalltongue:

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-23, 02:44 AM
You can't really copyright rectangles and beans. :smalltongue:

You could, uh... copyright the use of rectangles or beans to represent specific shapes? :smallwink:

MethosH
2010-01-10, 07:34 PM
You could, uh... copyright the use of rectangles or beans to represent specific shapes? :smallwink:

Err... I don't think you can. You can copyright a image if it represents a logo or a character. If you could could copyright a certain style I would go out copyrighting every single art style and trademark-troll the artists for money :smallbiggrin:

Anyway.... I came here to talk about something...

I'm thinking of starting a "Comic Lab" thread here. A place to the authors and artists to post experimental comics and discuss comics technics. Should I do it or you guys think it will end up forgoten and unloved?

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-10, 07:40 PM
Err... I don't think you can. You can copyright a image if it represents a logo or a character. If you could could copyright a certain style I would go out copyrighting every single art style and trademark-troll the artists for money :smallbiggrin:

Anyway.... I came here to talk about something...

I'm thinking of starting a "Comic Lab" thread here. A place to the authors and artists to post experimental comics and discuss comics technics. Should I do it or you guys think it will end up forgoten and unloved?

I'd be willing to help out with the lab.

DoctorIllithid
2010-01-17, 10:59 AM
Heya, can someone tell me how to break apart objects in Inkscape?

icastflare!
2010-02-21, 08:04 PM
about how long does It take for a comic to be approved by the moderators?

Darklord Bright
2010-02-21, 10:04 PM
about how long does It take for a comic to be approved by the moderators?

For me it was somewhere between a couple days and a week.

Teutonic Knight
2010-02-22, 10:03 PM
Do fan comics have to be funny? Or can they just be like normal comics only drawn in OotS-style?

Tiffanie Lirle
2010-02-22, 10:11 PM
Do fan comics have to be funny? Or can they just be like normal comics only drawn in OotS-style?
Funny is optional. If you want to make a comic just telling a story then I'm pretty sure that's fine.

But a little humor once in a while doesn't hurt. :smalltongue:

Teutonic Knight
2010-02-22, 10:39 PM
Funny is optional. If you want to make a comic just telling a story then I'm pretty sure that's fine.

But a little humor once in a while doesn't hurt. :smalltongue:

Of course. Witty dialogue and comical characters are needed, but I just wanted to make sure that they don't have to be like OotS dropping references and disintegrating the 4th wall every few panels.

Darklord Bright
2010-02-22, 10:42 PM
Of course. Witty dialogue and comical characters are needed, but I just wanted to make sure that they don't have to be like OotS dropping references and disintegrating the 4th wall every few panels.

Mine began semi-funny, but if you read on it definitely isn't the point of the comic. It also doesn't break the fourth wall when it makes jokes :smalltongue:

MethosH
2010-09-15, 07:48 PM
DAMN! I'm missing Q's comic reviews! There is so many new comics! I would like to know where to start! :smallfrown:

HalfTangible
2010-09-30, 05:05 PM
DAMN! I'm missing Q's comic reviews! There is so many new comics! I would like to know where to start! :smallfrown:

I like the one in your sig =(

EDIT: The big sig. one that isn't in a spoiler

Darklord Bright
2010-10-20, 04:16 AM
I am very tempted to create some sort of comic guide, talking about things that are overused and giving ideas on how to spice it up a bit. I figure I'd have to make comics for it though, but it could be fun talking about overused and underused things and some tips and such of writing comics... it'd probably descend into ranty territory if I wasn't careful, but it'd be fun just to try and be helpful and talk about genres and suchwhat.

Zexion
2010-10-22, 04:46 PM
I am very tempted to create some sort of comic guide, talking about things that are overused and giving ideas on how to spice it up a bit. I figure I'd have to make comics for it though, but it could be fun talking about overused and underused things and some tips and such of writing comics... it'd probably descend into ranty territory if I wasn't careful, but it'd be fun just to try and be helpful and talk about genres and suchwhat.
That sounds like a good idea. Use tvtropes as a reference. :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Bright
2010-10-22, 06:52 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Use tvtropes as a reference. :smallbiggrin:

I like TvTropes, but my answer to using it as a reference for anything is: No.

BRC
2010-10-22, 07:13 PM
I like TvTropes, but my answer to using it as a reference for anything is: No.

Inspiration maybe, but not as a Reference.
You might want to include select pieces of advice from other fancomicers.

Here's my piece of advice: never assume people will read anything but the actual archives. Character profiles and supplementry writing is a great way to flesh out a story, but it should always be able to stand up on the comics alone.
If people need to read anything but the comics to follow the story, you're doing something wrong.

Bayar
2010-10-24, 09:18 AM

Would you mind if I occasionally post some of my own pointers and rants in your thread ? The fact is I wanted to do this for a while now...but got lazy :biggrin:

Darklord Bright
2010-10-24, 04:20 PM
Would you mind if I occasionally post some of my own pointers and rants in your thread ? The fact is I wanted to do this for a while now...but got lazy :biggrin:

I am, at the moment, trying to figure out if it goes in Fan Comics or Arts and Crafts, due to not actually containing any comics.

Ninjaman
2011-01-21, 04:51 PM
Hey guys i was thinking of making a sci-fy roleplay comic, where i would have a couple of members each controling a character, and then make a comic to represent it oncein a while. What do you think oof that idea?

ImmortalLiam
2011-02-07, 12:59 AM
So, I have two friends. One is an art major, and has been having a comic drawing craze as of late. The other is a computer major, but he has a vow of silence type deal (its kinda complicated) so he cant get on a forum and ask this himself, thus they designated me. First, my art friend wants to make a website to showcase his comics. He intends to start doing them on a regular basis, then adding them online. Not like a story, but more like VG cats or penny arcade. The whole random adventure of the week. They will be based on our everyday life, and the craziness that happens. Now, we have our computer friend to help us get it going, but I will be the voice of the site we make (his vow prevents him from typing as well). So, he wants to copy right his work, and we need a good free site, at least to get started on it. If it gets popular, or we get a loyal fan base, we will pay for a better site. So, any suggestions about this plan of ours? Sorry the post was so long :smalleek:

Oppolo
2011-08-27, 02:43 PM
So, I have two friends. One is an art major, and has been having a comic drawing craze as of late. The other is a computer major, but he has a vow of silence type deal (its kinda complicated) so he cant get on a forum and ask this himself, thus they designated me. First, my art friend wants to make a website to showcase his comics. He intends to start doing them on a regular basis, then adding them online. Not like a story, but more like VG cats or penny arcade. The whole random adventure of the week. They will be based on our everyday life, and the craziness that happens. Now, we have our computer friend to help us get it going, but I will be the voice of the site we make (his vow prevents him from typing as well). So, he wants to copy right his work, and we need a good free site, at least to get started on it. If it gets popular, or we get a loyal fan base, we will pay for a better site. So, any suggestions about this plan of ours? Sorry the post was so long :smalleek:

This was asked a long time ago, so I'm sure you've found your answer. But if not, I'd advise starting up a website. It doesn't take much money to register a domain name, only like $15 a year, and you wouldn't need much bandwidth unless you got popular.
Tell your tech-savvy friend to google wordpress (a blog template for your website), and then comicpress (which edits the wordpress template to make it a webcomic website).

If you'd like to get some practice in before you make your website (to make sure you can stick to an update schedule before you commit), just use deviantart, tumblr or a free online blog service. I wouldn't advise using an online webcomic hosting service, as some have sticky agreement terms that mean they can sell your art in return for hosting you. Google online hosting sites for testimonials before you use them.

edit: Also, tell your artist friend to be very careful if he's including himself and his friends in the comic. Often these comics become cliché (friends and their talking cat sitting on a couch playing computer games, with one female character who's snarky and cool!), or become full of in-jokes that aren't funny to anybody but the author and his friends.
It might be a good idea to brainstorm some original characters, and an original setting. What haven't you seen done before? Maybe your characters are firemen/women sat around the break room, waiting for the siren to ring and having a laugh in the meantime? You can then incorporate real-life experiences into your new characters.

Lord Raziere
2011-10-11, 09:00 PM
I have a new idea for a comic...

Bio-Exalted
What if Bioware made an Exalted videogame? What if they had all the money in the world and all the best technology to go with it to simulate Exalted's awesome? It would probably turn out something like this:
Age of Sorrows:
Return of the Solars
You are a Solar Exalted. You are the reincarnation of one of the former god-kings of Creation, and you have returned to retake your rightful place from its usurpers- but you must gather followers, for what is a king without his subjects?
featuring companions such as:
A Dragon-Blooded who is bad at working in a team
A Lunar who hates shapeshifting
An Abyssal who believes he is irredeemable
A Yozi-loyalist, anti-reclamation Infernal
Another Solar, who doubts he can do anything to change the world
another Lunar, who is completely obsessed with her Solar mate- you.
A sociopathic but hilarious Alchemical
a coldly logical Fair Folk.
Weirdest. Sidereal. Ronin. Ever.

The entire thing would be an affectionate parody of bioware's games. except since its Exalted, it would also be awesome.

CountD
2012-10-19, 01:13 PM
So I attempted to post a fan comic a week ago, but no moderator ever passed it through. Does it usually take this long, or was my comic rejected?

Darklord Bright
2012-10-19, 09:37 PM
I think my various comics have all taken about a week and a bit to go through. Usually I use that time to make more comics to fill the buffer, so I have stuff to post over the weeks after it goes up

Emperor Ing
2012-10-19, 10:01 PM
It's been a LOOOONG time since I had to make a thread, but IIRC it took 2 days for WTwU thread 2 to go up. Of course that was a while ago.

Yeah, make moar comics to give potential readers material to follow.

Tiffanie Lirle
2012-10-20, 02:52 AM
Having just started Ooze a couple months ago, I can confirm that the waiting time for confirmation has gotten a bit longer than what it used to be.

*shrugs*

CountD
2012-10-20, 04:25 PM
That's cool. I just want to make sure that it's going up eventually.

And I have been making more comics. I've been posting them on another website community I'm a part of as a sort of "hay guys check out this thing I'm doing" thing. I've finished up the five issue prologue and am now working on chapter one. I hope you guys enjoy it whenever it gets put up here.

LTDave
2012-10-25, 12:58 AM
I have a similar issue - posted a comic about a week ago now - nothing happened.

Not complaining - just not refraining.

Darklord Bright
2012-10-25, 08:22 PM
If you're particularly worried about it, pass a PM to one of the subsection mods, maybe. I'm not sure, I always just waited a week or two and then it was there.

king_clumsy
2012-12-31, 07:47 AM
I've had an idea thats been going around my head for quite some time. I've tried to write a dark comedy as well as a serious mystery set in this universe. both failed.

I'd love to write a more casual comic to counter writing The Hereafter (see my sig) which has an ongoing plot and updates a page a week.

The idea I had was a either a modern fantasy world with offices and politicians and whatnot or at least a look nto the lives of the NPCs that keep the world running for adventuers. A cross between the two could be good (not unlike the OotS world) with a schizo tech/somethingPunk feel to it.

My current idea is showing people holding down boring NPC jobs in this world. Namely a halfling starting work at a big financial corporation thats run by a Lich (who's undead to avoid paying tax and to avoid giving his company up)

I dont know where it'd go from here. Nor do I know how I'd do the art, anyone interested?

Zmeoaice
2013-04-02, 10:58 PM
Could we create a comic taking place in the OOtSverse in different style than stickdolls and have it be hosted on another site? I get that one wouldn't want free advertisements for non related strips, but the comics that are about OOtS should be able to be hosted on their own site since using a forum board to host comics is a pain, and I don't see why style has to be the key when just saying it takes place in OOtSVerse is enough.

The idea I had was a either a modern fantasy world with offices and politicians and whatnot or at least a look nto the lives of the NPCs that keep the world running for adventuers. A cross between the two could be good (not unlike the OotS world) with a schizo tech/somethingPunk feel to it.

My current idea is showing people holding down boring NPC jobs in this world. Namely a halfling starting work at a big financial corporation thats run by a Lich (who's undead to avoid paying tax and to avoid giving his company up)

I dont know where it'd go from here. Nor do I know how I'd do the art, anyone interested?

Perhaps a coal mine? And I might find the time to do the art, it seems simple enough. Although I'm just getting the hang of vector graphics.

Teutonic Knight
2013-04-02, 11:21 PM
I don't think you can make any kind of fan project with specifically OotS related content. Here is the official post that says you can't:

Use of The Order of the Stick Characters, Places, and Other Trademarks
Generally speaking, you are not permitted to make fan comics that tell the stories of any of the characters of The Order of the Stick or feature any of the places that exist in the comic, such as Azure City. These names and likenesses are trademarked by Giant in the Playground and cannot be used without specific permission. There are a few situations where it may be deemed acceptable:

A cameo appearance, defined now as an appearance that is confined to a single strip of the comic series, done for humor or contrast. Essentially, this constitutes a parody of sorts, and as such is considered Fair Use. Note that the character should not have any meaningful influence on the plot, and the event should not be referenced repeatedly in future comics. For example, it’s OK for your characters to stop and ask Durkon for directions to the nearest tavern in one panel and then never mention it again. It is not OK for Durkon to give them their sacred quest to fulfill Thor’s prophecy--which will comprise several dozen strips of story--even if Durkon’s entire appearance is limited to one strip.
Similarly, place names can be mentioned briefly, in passing, but your characters may not go there and spend 100 strips exploring the surroundings. They can say that the dungeon is 15 miles north of Cliffport in one panel, but they cannot go on a 10-strip shopping spree in the city first.

We ask that in any strip where an existing OOTS character appears, you include the following notice in the image file (usually along the bottom):
Quote:
<Character name>™ created by Rich Burlew, used under OOTS Fan Comic Guidelines.

It doesn't say specifically about content hosted off-site but I still wouldn't. You could instead do a thinly-veiled parody of the OotSverse? As for stick format, you do not have to stick to stick format when drawing OotS-related stuff. That's just our choice to pay homage to the Giant. And because we can't draw in any other way.

Darklord Bright
2013-07-25, 07:08 PM
So... this thread doesn't get used a whole lot, does it? I can see old posts from three years ago if I just go back a page, there.

Anyhow, that's not the point of this post. I just had a general question for this subsection, and there isn't really anywhere else more appropriate to do it than our official discussion thread.

The Question: When it comes to fancomics, if we ignore art-style considerations for a moment, is there anything people don't see often here that they wish they did? Things they think they see too much of?

You know, like genre and plot and things like that.

Just figured this thread is here, and we may as well use it for some good ol' discussions. :smalltongue:

Teutonic Knight
2013-07-31, 04:27 AM
Were you talking about fancomics on this particular forum or elsewhere on the Internet? Cause I personally have not seen many fancomics in their original form, most have evolved into fully-fledged webcomics of their own.

Anyway, simply put I would just like to see more fancomics here on the forum. Never mind if they are "typical Dnd stories", as long as you realize that and keep them fresh with interesting characters, or a non-generic setting or plot point, then I would like to read that. Especially if played seriously and not trying to make a joke every comic. Otherwise if you can come up with an even seemingly original concept, do it. Withing reason, of course.

Personally, I would like to see more original fantasy settings. The further away from classic Dnd would be nice, since there's already so much of that here, and it would help your comic stand out.

Actually doesn't this discussion turn into a "what story elements do you like?" kind of discussion? Discuss. :smalltongue:

Darklord Bright
2013-07-31, 06:06 AM
Actually doesn't this discussion turn into a "what story elements do you like?" kind of discussion? Discuss. :smalltongue:

Well, I sort of figured that there were probably things people liked that they didn't see a lot here, even if they did get their fill of other things they like.

And I'd tend to agree with you, myself. While RPG comics are par for the course in a community of what is mostly RPG fans, I'd certainly like to see more things that didn't really deal with D&D mechanics and the like. The Giant's own comic does that very well, and that's some pretty stiff competition. :smalltongue:

My biggest problem with my last comic project, Of Books and Barbarians, was sort of related to this. I'd penned myself in with a generic fantasy setting, and I just couldn't get into writing a setting like that.

For me, backdrop is very important to my enjoyment of a story. Background details shouldn't obscure the characters or the plot, but they're part of what changes a story from bland to a little more flavourful and interesting. They're the hooks used to catch the fish and pull them into your great big plot-boat. Or something. I'm bad with metaphors.

I'm no good at Sci-Fi, but it'd be nice to see more of that, too.

Emperor Ing
2013-08-02, 11:12 PM
I've been doing these comics for four years and I still have no idea what i'm doing :smalltongue:

Teutonic Knight
2013-11-30, 12:31 AM
Anybody know why the list of threads is slowly getting smaller? And where do the ones that have fallen too low on the list gone? Are they gone forever?

Emperor Ing
2013-11-30, 01:37 AM
If you remember their names you could search for the threads on google, I imagine they're archived.

But basically, there are comics that don't get updated so there's no reason for them to eat forum bandwidth.

Darklord Bright
2013-12-01, 04:36 PM
By default, the forum has recently started showing only threads from the last 45 days. If you change that back, you'll see them again.

The reason for this is that 45 days is the necro cut-off date now, I think? Something like that.

Fay Graydon
2014-04-02, 04:33 AM

I think I got that covered if my new thread ever gets posted :smallbiggrin:

garrysingh817
2014-04-28, 02:56 AM
heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....................

Emperor Ing
2014-04-29, 09:52 AM
Hey. What's going on?

Omega
2014-05-31, 10:31 PM

I agree, it would be very interesting to see more Sci-Fi content.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-06-21, 01:04 PM
In regards to the fan comics guidelines, if we use the forum as a test "market," and then move the comic later, is that okay? It seems as if it should be.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-24, 12:22 AM
Perfectly fine, but i'd personally prefer you not leave. It's pretty lonely in this forum.

TaiLiu
2014-06-24, 12:54 AM
Perfectly fine, but i'd personally prefer you not leave. It's pretty lonely in this forum.
Emperor Ing! Is there a possibility of a summary for your highly confusing webcomic?

Emperor Ing
2014-06-24, 04:39 PM
Emperor Ing! Is there a possibility of a summary for your highly confusing webcomic?

Such a feat is simply not possible. The best I can do is offer to you that you shouldn't try and take it too seriously.

Neoriceisgood
2014-06-28, 08:53 AM
Woah what happened to this place? I haven't looked at the fan comic subsection too much since getting my own site ... but it looks absolutely barren. :smalleek:

Emperor Ing
2014-06-28, 12:10 PM
Apparently fan-comics were a fad that came and went.

TaiLiu
2014-06-28, 03:21 PM
Such a feat is simply not possible. The best I can do is offer to you that you shouldn't try and take it too seriously.
Curses!

Woah what happened to this place? I haven't looked at the fan comic subsection too much since getting my own site ... but it looks absolutely barren. :smalleek:
Hi, Neoriceisgood! :smallsmile:

Apparently fan-comics were a fad that came and went.
I think people just stopped updating. Unfortunate.

Neoriceisgood
2014-06-29, 04:49 AM
Hahah, hi TaiLiu!

It's kinda sad this place seems to have mostly died out, I remember a huge number of active threads in here a few years ago. I kinda quit visiting
after moving my own comic away from the fan forums & the only fan comic I enjoyed reading stopped updating. (I don't quite remember the name,
it had a cloaked guy, a ghost & a thiefling on the main team; OOTS style comic.)

Drakeburn
2014-06-29, 11:11 AM
Hahah, hi TaiLiu!

It's kinda sad this place seems to have mostly died out, I remember a huge number of active threads in here a few years ago. I kinda quit visiting
after moving my own comic away from the fan forums & the only fan comic I enjoyed reading stopped updating. (I don't quite remember the name,
it had a cloaked guy, a ghost & a thiefling on the main team; OOTS style comic.)

I think the comic you're talking about is anti-heroes (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/first).

And it is quite sad to see this thread falling apart.
But maybe this is an opportunity for new beginnings. I've been thinking about making my own fan-comic as well. But I haven't figured everything out yet.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 11:45 AM
Curses!

I might be able to build a time-machine from items I will find in my fridge, I might be able to run for President of Planet Earth, but there will be no greater exercise in futility than to summarize my comic. :smallbiggrin:

Feel free to make your own comic. For old times' sake i'd be willing to offer my experience.

Neoriceisgood
2014-06-29, 01:50 PM
I think the comic you're talking about is anti-heroes (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/first).

And it is quite sad to see this thread falling apart.
But maybe this is an opportunity for new beginnings. I've been thinking about making my own fan-comic as well. But I haven't figured everything out yet.

Oh yeah! Anti-Heroes!

Didn't a new author take over at some point? I lost track of updates because I remember it going on some sort of hiatus.

By the looks of it, it's still updating right?

D.KnightSpider
2014-06-29, 04:01 PM
It still updates sporadically, but consistently.

Anti-Heroes took on a wildly different tone and style after the author change. It's a very palpable change, so much so that at times it feels like a completely different comic. So don't go back to it expecting it to be the same as the days of old.

That's not a slam against Dyluth or Leakingpen; it's just an observation about the comic's evolution. Any time the creative team changes halfway through a work, these sorts of things happen.

Neoriceisgood
2014-06-29, 04:13 PM
It still updates sporadically, but consistently.

Anti-Heroes took on a wildly different tone and style after the author change. It's a very palpable change, so much so that at times it feels like a completely different comic. So don't go back to it expecting it to be the same as the days of old.

That's not a slam against Dyluth or Leakingpen; it's just an observation about the comic's evolution. Any time the creative team changes halfway through a work, these sorts of things happen.

... What sort of differences? o: Is it still funny..? :smallredface:

TaiLiu
2014-06-29, 04:50 PM
Hahah, hi TaiLiu!
It looks like your comic's going well! Any potential spoilers for us...?

I might be able to build a time-machine from items I will find in my fridge, I might be able to run for President of Planet Earth, but there will be no greater exercise in futility than to summarize my comic. :smallbiggrin:
Eek. Is it really that bad?

Feel free to make your own comic. For old times' sake i'd be willing to offer my experience.
Oh, I appreciate it, but I neither have the time nor ability to create comic strips. If you'd like, I could make a ugly-looking webcomic that runs for about three strips, then stops completely without alert. That's the usual methodology here, yes? :smalltongue:

... What sort of differences? o: Is it still funny..? :smallredface:
In my biased view, no. It's the combination of a complete tone shift, art alteration, and writing style that makes it seem shoddy to me.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 05:45 PM
Eek. Is it really that bad?

Actually given some thought, I might be able to make summaries, but only one per chapter. Summarizing all 665 comics IS an exercise in futility unless you want to plow through walls of text.

Besides, if you're reading my comic for its gripping storyline you're doing it wrong.

Still, it sounds like you haven't even read my comic yet. What are you waiting for, I updated the archives just a week ago so all is there!

ti'esar
2014-06-29, 10:28 PM
I think part of the issue with the fan comics is that finding someone with the willpower to keep doing a webcomic over several years is rare enough on its own. So when you're also narrowing the pool of artists down to those specifically willing to base their work off another artist's style, it becomes very hard to find anything that lasts. The people who just see OOTS and go "I want to draw something like that" don't often have the willingness to do a lasting comic, and the people who are capable of doing a full comic aren't necessarily going to want to use OOTS's style.

I mean, I myself have semi-defined plans to eventually do a stick figure space opera comic, but I'd rather do it in my own style than the Giant's, because that style's just what I'm more comfortable with.

TaiLiu
2014-06-29, 11:39 PM
Actually given some thought, I might be able to make summaries, but only one per chapter. Summarizing all 665 comics IS an exercise in futility unless you want to plow through walls of text.

Besides, if you're reading my comic for its gripping storyline you're doing it wrong.

Still, it sounds like you haven't even read my comic yet. What are you waiting for, I updated the archives just a week ago so all is there!
Ah, if I had the time. Anyway, make sure to keep updating the archive! I had to stop reading last thread, because I couldn't find the next comic.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 11:42 PM
I mean, I myself have semi-defined plans to eventually do a stick figure space opera comic, but I'd rather do it in my own style than the Giant's, because that style's just what I'm more comfortable with.

It only took me 6 years before I stopped using OotS Style and went with something more my own :smallbiggrin:

Neoriceisgood
2014-06-30, 03:14 AM
In my biased view, no. It's the combination of a complete tone shift, art alteration, and writing style that makes it seem shoddy to me.

Ah I was afraid of that. I didn't know much about the new guy when I heard of the switch, but I kinda quit reading out of fear of ... well, what you just told me. :smalltongue: It's honestly the same reason I can't get into marvel/dc comics at all, having characters/story switch writers can make you hate characters you'd normally love.

It looks like your comic's going well! Any potential spoilers for us...?

Depends entirely on what kind of spoilers, hahahah. :smallbiggrin:

I think part of the issue with the fan comics is that finding someone with the willpower to keep doing a webcomic over several years is rare enough on its own. So when you're also narrowing the pool of artists down to those specifically willing to base their work off another artist's style, it becomes very hard to find anything that lasts. The people who just see OOTS and go "I want to draw something like that" don't often have the willingness to do a lasting comic, and the people who are capable of doing a full comic aren't necessarily going to want to use OOTS's style.

Technically you don't have to stick to the Giantitp style, but any sort of success or self-reliance explicitly excludes you from the fancomic section. You essentially become a part of the (much larger) webcomics forum if you get your own site or become profitable. I'm not entirely sure how these rules apply to comics with a similar style to OOTS, I remember anti-heroes switching to the webcomics forum as well though. It limits the types of comics we'll see in this forum a lot. (to two comics total, it seems.)

Shoreward
2014-06-30, 06:57 PM
I've seen a couple people totally miss their comic's approval before, too. It takes a couple weeks, so that's pretty easy to do.

For me, I ran out of ideas for a while, and then ABR died and there wasn't any reason to regularly check the sub anymore. Then when I got new ideas, I asked why I didn't just write them as fiction and potentially go somewhere with them.

(That of course was compounded by the fact that I completely lost all of my old account information for a while with no way to re-activate it, and had to work for a while on getting a new account. Sorta makes one lose their drive.)

TaiLiu
2014-06-30, 09:21 PM
Ah I was afraid of that. I didn't know much about the new guy when I heard of the switch, but I kinda quit reading out of fear of ... well, what you just told me. :smalltongue: It's honestly the same reason I can't get into marvel/dc comics at all, having characters/story switch writers can make you hate characters you'd normally love.
Well, it doesn't hurt [directly] to take a peek. Maybe you'd like the new writing.

Depends entirely on what kind of spoilers, hahahah. :smallbiggrin:
Well, you have all these comics made in advance - mind giving us a few hints about them...? (*Secretly slips Neorice some e-bucks.*)

(That of course was compounded by the fact that I completely lost all of my old account information for a while with no way to re-activate it, and had to work for a while on getting a new account. Sorta makes one lose their drive.)
Gah! I didn't even notice! How's... How's the new account?

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 09:35 PM
I gotta say, this is THE most active i've seen this thread, ever :smallbiggrin:

TaiLiu
2014-07-01, 10:52 PM
I gotta say, this is THE most active i've seen this thread, ever :smallbiggrin:
Well, it's gone into a coma again.

ti'esar
2014-07-02, 01:09 AM
Well, it's not like there's really much more to say on the subject:

"Not a lot of fan comics around anymore."

"Ayup."

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-02, 04:07 AM
Well, it's not like there's really much more to say on the subject:

"Not a lot of fan comics around anymore."

"Ayup."

Now now, there's also a bit of wondering about why that's the case. :smalltongue:

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 02:30 PM
I'm doing my part, time for everyone else to step up to the plate to help keep this forum alive :smallwink:

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-02, 04:08 PM
I would but my hands are tied with one comic already. :smalltongue:

Everyone else though... :smallannoyed: (j/k j/k)

TaiLiu
2014-07-04, 12:14 PM
Everyone else though... :smallannoyed: (j/k j/k)
I'm sorry! I'll do better! :smallfrown:

(Now, about those spoilers...)

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-04, 03:57 PM
I'm sorry! I'll do better! :smallfrown:

(Now, about those spoilers...)

I believe in you!

What do you want spoiled? :smalltongue:

TaiLiu
2014-07-04, 07:18 PM
I believe in you!
Thanks to your support, I have created my first comic, made in ultra-invisible ink:

...What do you want spoiled? :smalltongue:
Anything and everything!

Emperor Ing
2014-07-04, 07:53 PM
Anything and everything!

The guy with the glasses at the beginning of the movie who says "Are you going to Amsterdam?" is the killer in the movie Non-Stop.

Woops, did I forget spoiler tags? Darn. :smallbiggrin:

TaiLiu
2014-07-04, 09:54 PM
The guy with the glasses at the beginning of the movie who says "Are you going to Amsterdam?" is the killer in the movie Non-Stop.

Woops, did I forget spoiler tags? Darn. :smallbiggrin:
First spoiler of the day! What's the movie about?

Emperor Ing
2014-07-04, 10:40 PM
First spoiler of the day! What's the movie about?

U.S. Air Marshal Bill Marks (played by Liam Neeson) recieves cryptic and mysterious text messages instructing him to have $150 million transferred to an off-shore bank account else a passenger on-board the airplane the movie takes place on is killed every 20 minutes by the guy who later turns out to be a US Marine who asks "Are you going to Amsterdam" at the beginning of the movie.

TaiLiu
2014-07-05, 05:13 PM
U.S. Air Marshal Bill Marks (played by Liam Neeson) recieves cryptic and mysterious text messages instructing him to have $150 million transferred to an off-shore bank account else a passenger on-board the airplane the movie takes place on is killed every 20 minutes by the guy who later turns out to be a US Marine who asks "Are you going to Amsterdam" at the beginning of the movie.
Oh. Is his motive just the money, then?

Emperor Ing
2014-07-06, 04:21 PM
Oh. Is his motive just the money, then?

I'm actually somewhat reluctant to say it, not because I don't want to spoil it but because it's so blatantly and transparently political it might violate forum rules. In a nutshell, he's a US Marine who's dissatisfied with the US Government, so much so he's willing to murder random people and extort money from said government. If it sounds like it doesn't make sense, that's because it doesn't.

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-06, 04:32 PM
I'm so confused now.

TaiLiu
2014-07-06, 04:43 PM
I'm actually somewhat reluctant to say it, not because I don't want to spoil it but because it's so blatantly and transparently political it might violate forum rules. In a nutshell, he's a US Marine who's dissatisfied with the US Government, so much so he's willing to murder random people and extort money from said government. If it sounds like it doesn't make sense, that's because it doesn't.
I see, I see.

I'm so confused now.
You can get rid of your confusion with just three easy payments of spoilers for TaiLiu!

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-08, 12:07 PM
You can get rid of your confusion with just three easy payments of spoilers for TaiLiu!

I still don't know what you want spoiled. :smallconfused:

Emperor Ing
2014-07-08, 12:11 PM
Spoil anything!

The player-character in Knights of the Old Republic 1 is a mind-wiped Darth Revan!

TaiLiu
2014-07-08, 10:36 PM
I still don't know what you want spoiled. :smallconfused:
Your webcomic, of course! What's coming up? Spill the juicy details!

Spoil anything!

The player-character in Knights of the Old Republic 1 is a mind-wiped Darth Revan!
In Ragtime, Younger Brother becomes an explosive consultant and dies in the desert!

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-09, 03:41 AM
Your webcomic, of course! What's coming up? Spill the juicy details!

Uhm ... I don't quite remember, were you a reader of the old comic I used to post in the fan comic section?

Emperor Ing
2014-07-09, 12:37 PM
Here's a spoiler from my comic

The Emperor destroys the world!

A lot!

TaiLiu
2014-07-10, 09:59 PM
Uhm ... I don't quite remember, were you a reader of the old comic I used to post in the fan comic section?
I was, yes.

Here's a spoiler from my comic

The Emperor destroys the world!

A lot!
What a jerk, the Emperor.

ti'esar
2014-07-10, 10:27 PM
In his defense, he also puts it back the way it was a few seconds later.

TaiLiu
2014-07-10, 11:09 PM
In his defense, he also puts it back the way it was a few seconds later.
Well, yes, but he killed people!

Neoriceisgood
2014-07-12, 04:27 AM
I was, yes.

Okay uh ... All three old protagonists will be back with their own stories.

That's your spoiler. :smalltongue:

TaiLiu
2014-07-17, 09:58 PM
Okay uh ... All three old protagonists will be back with their own stories.

That's your spoiler. :smalltongue:
:smallfrown:

Neoriceisgood
2014-08-09, 10:50 AM
:smallfrown:

What? :smallredface:

Emperor Ing
2014-08-09, 12:23 PM
I think Tai wants to know how our comics end.

If you follow my stories you know I rarely plan more than 3 comics in advance, except I have a general idea which direction I want to go :smalltongue:

ti'esar
2014-10-12, 05:08 PM
Well, it looks like the seeming resurgence of this forum has proved pretty short-lived.

anthonyshepherd
2014-10-27, 04:39 AM
Since thread creation in this forum will need moderator clearance, this thread will be for general discussions about the fan comics and the new forum. That way you don't have to start a new thread for such.

If you are thinking of doing a fan comic or want to discuss the fan comic phenomenon as a whole, this is the place to talk about it.

I love to read this type of comics

Dueldragon1
2015-01-10, 08:55 PM
I am thinking of making a fan comic. However, if anyone does decide they want to follow it, I'm warning you, updates are going to be extremely irregular.

Jinglebelle
2015-04-20, 08:27 PM
Has anyone noticed the dearth of comics lately? It's almost enough to make me want to restart my comic from four years ago. I'd probably need to think up somewhere for it to go, first, though.

Neoriceisgood
2015-07-07, 03:39 PM
Has anyone noticed the dearth of comics lately? It's almost enough to make me want to restart my comic from four years ago. I'd probably need to think up somewhere for it to go, first, though.

Don't blame me, I lost my place in this subforum after getting my own site.. :smallcool:

Which makes me curious, how many comics from the fan comic subforum actually evolved beyond it? Anti-Heroes did as well, right?

Asmodean_
2016-03-06, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking of starting one based on the D&D campaign I'm currently in (vis. Thirteen Blades of the Necromancer but there's only 2 sessions of gameplay so far so there's a high potential that either I'll run out of material for it or something before the tenth strip. It'll be in OOTS-style art (since I'm absolutely :smallfurious: at drawing) and I should probably have the first couple strips done by next week.

Unless of course it grinds to a halt before it even begins (which it very well might, given my track record). We'll see.

(Yes my posting this here is to motivate me along the lines of "well I've posted about it now I have to go through with it")

1: Not a Morning Person:
Imgur: dboNPY8*

*I can't even post links yet. You'll have to just type it in.

Asmodean_
2016-03-10, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking of starting one based on the D&D campaign I'm currently in (vis. Thirteen Blades of the Necromancer but there's only 2 sessions of gameplay so far so there's a high potential that either I'll run out of material for it or something before the tenth strip. It'll be in OOTS-style art (since I'm absolutely :smallfurious: at drawing) and I should probably have the first couple strips done by next week.

Unless of course it grinds to a halt before it even begins (which it very well might, given my track record). We'll see.

(Yes my posting this here is to motivate me along the lines of "well I've posted about it now I have to go through with it")

1: Not a Morning Person:
Imgur: dboNPY8*

*I can't even post links yet. You'll have to just type it in.

As it turns out I can't draw to save my life.

I'll be working on words instead. Let's hope it works out better.

EDIT: Where would I put this? I've got the first bit as a taster:
Well of course the home of the drow (literally "dark") elves would have "dark" or some variation thereof in its name. Otherwise, how would anybody be supposed to know that we lived there? We couldn't have somebody just wandering around expecting some jolly (read: drunk as a badly-planned analogy) dwarves, sly but ultimately cute gnomes, or even, Lloth forbid, surface elves! Shocked gasp! Thems! Ohhh nooo!
Of course given that this is an at least slightly forward-thinking continent we happen to have the (mis?)fortune of living on, we wouldn't dream of being racist, oh no. No racism involved here, of course not.
It's just fact that the surface elves were scheming bastards who drove us out of our lands and into the caves that we live in for no particular reason other than expansionism, or maybe even just racism. Yeeaahh... that makes sense. It's just them what're being the racists!
It's 'cus they's surface elveses. That's why. Them surface elves is always racists. All of 'em...
say any acquainted with the history of the drow with no apparent irony.
As a cave, as a natural formation, it's nothing special. Just a large area where, for one reason or another, rock has rather noticeably failed to appear. As a city with things like architecture and windows, it's the same kind of story. Just a place that defies the outside by not having a severe lack of buildings. We're a functional race, for most intents and purposes. Those are our houses: a lack of nothing. You have to be functional, practical, when you've no contact with the outside world and the main gain in life is to personally gain the favour of Lloth. There are thousands of us; I hardly think she's going round with a clipboard going "ohh, Na'cine hasn't finished her history homework: minus three favour points." But that's religion, and for the time being, at least, we're stuck with it. It's not like atheism or anything else could ever gain a foothold in all the dogmatism going round. I mean, half our idioms mention her in one way or another.
Politics-wise, it's a complete web of lies and deceit that you could just unravel by thinking something along the lines of: "well, Ker'anson gave me his quote unquote guarantee that he'd have my back if we were ever up against Ci'vaula, so the one thing that *can* be guaranteed is he won't." It's astonishing that nobody's ever thought of actually telling (shock gasp horror) the truth for once, so people think the opposite.
There are a grand total of 64 ruling houses, although if you want to talk in terms of actually wielding any significant power, it caps out at about a dozen. The rest are either just fragments, remnants, descendants or the ghosts of previous houses, or a new upstart house planning to single-handedly revolutionise the system, or the gov-apostrophe-t, or the "freakin' universe, man". As the proud Secondborn Son of the Almighty 57th House (in, rather obviously, descending order) I can boast having exactly zero power. Hell, I doubt if anyone had ever even heard of the house, let alone a boy - and a second one at that!
We managed to gain this glamourous (read: W-list) lifestyle by eliminating threats not when they attacked, or when they were still dormant, but *before they had even thought of being a threat*. Somehow, it's worked and House Asmodean is amongst the greats, if only to nab all the cocktail shrimp backstage. We are probably known as the only house which, in a language seemingly centred around the apostrophe (or 'postrophe if you will - and they will) has a name which lacks one. The fact that we'd only have our house recognised from pub quizzes is not lost on us, and most of us spend our days jostling for whatever power percolates down from the top. I never really participated in this affair, if only because I really couldn't be bothered with it all, and had better things to be doing with my time - that is to say, anything else. But it really shouldn't have come as a surprise that despite wanting to get involved as little as possible in the matter, the matter was, slowly but surely, involving me.

In the way that most things that bring utter despair to those involved happen, it all began on a Monday. I could go on about how it brought my whole world crashing down upon me, but in reality my hold on drow politics was already tenuous at best. At the very least, I doubt Lloth would ever care what rank of son you were if, either way, you were part of one of the least powerful houses in existence. I'm a practical man, and I'd much rather be not dead than a soon-forgotten martyr to whatever cause I could be said to follow. So when my elderbrother turned up with a crossbow, there wasn't much point in staying. I would like to stress at this point that I was to be killed because *I might try and have him killed at some point in the future*
So I left.
Not a big thing, I mean, I had been contemplating just packing up and jumping ship for a while now and this was just the final push I needed. I made decent progress the first day, not really running to anything, since the geography we'd been taught could be summarised as "thems be evils above; don't go there", but running away from the place where I was wanted dead. I'd forego a master plan in favour of just not being killed.

Asmodean_
2016-03-19, 01:49 PM
As it turns out I can't draw to save my life.

I'll be working on words instead. Let's hope it works out better.

EDIT: Where would I put this? I've got the first bit as a taster:
Well of course the home of the drow (literally "dark") elves would have "dark" or some variation thereof in its name. Otherwise, how would anybody be supposed to know that we lived there? We couldn't have somebody just wandering around expecting some jolly (read: drunk as a badly-planned analogy) dwarves, sly but ultimately cute gnomes, or even, Lloth forbid, surface elves! Shocked gasp! Thems! Ohhh nooo!
Of course given that this is an at least slightly forward-thinking continent we happen to have the (mis?)fortune of living on, we wouldn't dream of being racist, oh no. No racism involved here, of course not.
It's just fact that the surface elves were scheming bastards who drove us out of our lands and into the caves that we live in for no particular reason other than expansionism, or maybe even just racism. Yeeaahh... that makes sense. It's just them what're being the racists!
It's 'cus they's surface elveses. That's why. Them surface elves is always racists. All of 'em...
say any acquainted with the history of the drow with no apparent irony.
As a cave, as a natural formation, it's nothing special. Just a large area where, for one reason or another, rock has rather noticeably failed to appear. As a city with things like architecture and windows, it's the same kind of story. Just a place that defies the outside by not having a severe lack of buildings. We're a functional race, for most intents and purposes. Those are our houses: a lack of nothing. You have to be functional, practical, when you've no contact with the outside world and the main gain in life is to personally gain the favour of Lloth. There are thousands of us; I hardly think she's going round with a clipboard going "ohh, Na'cine hasn't finished her history homework: minus three favour points." But that's religion, and for the time being, at least, we're stuck with it. It's not like atheism or anything else could ever gain a foothold in all the dogmatism going round. I mean, half our idioms mention her in one way or another.
Politics-wise, it's a complete web of lies and deceit that you could just unravel by thinking something along the lines of: "well, Ker'anson gave me his quote unquote guarantee that he'd have my back if we were ever up against Ci'vaula, so the one thing that *can* be guaranteed is he won't." It's astonishing that nobody's ever thought of actually telling (shock gasp horror) the truth for once, so people think the opposite.
There are a grand total of 64 ruling houses, although if you want to talk in terms of actually wielding any significant power, it caps out at about a dozen. The rest are either just fragments, remnants, descendants or the ghosts of previous houses, or a new upstart house planning to single-handedly revolutionise the system, or the gov-apostrophe-t, or the "freakin' universe, man". As the proud Secondborn Son of the Almighty 57th House (in, rather obviously, descending order) I can boast having exactly zero power. Hell, I doubt if anyone had ever even heard of the house, let alone a boy - and a second one at that!
We managed to gain this glamourous (read: W-list) lifestyle by eliminating threats not when they attacked, or when they were still dormant, but *before they had even thought of being a threat*. Somehow, it's worked and House Asmodean is amongst the greats, if only to nab all the cocktail shrimp backstage. We are probably known as the only house which, in a language seemingly centred around the apostrophe (or 'postrophe if you will - and they will) has a name which lacks one. The fact that we'd only have our house recognised from pub quizzes is not lost on us, and most of us spend our days jostling for whatever power percolates down from the top. I never really participated in this affair, if only because I really couldn't be bothered with it all, and had better things to be doing with my time - that is to say, anything else. But it really shouldn't have come as a surprise that despite wanting to get involved as little as possible in the matter, the matter was, slowly but surely, involving me.

In the way that most things that bring utter despair to those involved happen, it all began on a Monday. I could go on about how it brought my whole world crashing down upon me, but in reality my hold on drow politics was already tenuous at best. At the very least, I doubt Lloth would ever care what rank of son you were if, either way, you were part of one of the least powerful houses in existence. I'm a practical man, and I'd much rather be not dead than a soon-forgotten martyr to whatever cause I could be said to follow. So when my elderbrother turned up with a crossbow, there wasn't much point in staying. I would like to stress at this point that I was to be killed because *I might try and have him killed at some point in the future*
So I left.
Not a big thing, I mean, I had been contemplating just packing up and jumping ship for a while now and this was just the final push I needed. I made decent progress the first day, not really running to anything, since the geography we'd been taught could be summarised as "thems be evils above; don't go there", but running away from the place where I was wanted dead. I'd forego a master plan in favour of just not being killed.

I've found a place for it: see The One Sane Drow.

(i can't believe i can't even post links yet)

Marlowe
2016-03-19, 06:49 PM
Does my...thing qualify as a fancomic?

I never thought of posting it here because, of course, it doesn't contain original art.:smalleek:

Fay Graydon
2016-03-31, 05:24 AM
Well Dawn of Yesterday is being revamped now that i have a bunch of free time.
So I guess i should change my banner from "indefinitely dead" to something like "Updates weekly, sometimes more" :smallbiggrin:

Shoreward
2018-04-26, 11:35 PM
Leaving aside the eternal quiet of the subforum, I thought it might be nice to grease the rust-eaten wheels of discussion here again.

I’d love to see this subforum invigorated, but I’m one person. If I could think of some kind of thing we could do on the regular here, I’d take a stab at it. Maybe some form of advice or random regular thoughts about comics? Foster creative spirit for those people on the fence.

Is anyone working on something right now? Coming up with future schemes? Planning to come back to an old project or start a new one?

To those of you without comics, do you have plans to make one? I actually have some advice for this! This one’s a bit technical.

Comics, like any serial writing, are more of an endurance game than you might think. Get some practice churning out your content once a week or so for a little while before you submit it. A lot of new comic artists I’ve seen drop off around page 10 – 20, so it’ll help you know whether your passion for an idea wanes with time and it’ll give you a handy buffer of built-up comics for when you finally take a shot. I had ten pages before I submitted my comic, and more ready by the time of mod approval. It’s why I was able to post one a day during one of the early weeks.

No matter what, make sure it’s a story you want to tell. Passion and energy marinate the meat of a project. Your fans will feel how much you love what you’re making, just as much as they will feel when you get bored with an idea. Have at it, I say. It's always nice to see something new around here.

If you don't have ideas, think of a few things you like, and figure out how to blend them into something of your own, the way you would write it.

Now, there are other technical aspects I could get into – scripts, characters, all that stuff... but frankly some of those would take a lot longer to get through, and this is already too long for what was supposed to be a random call for discussion.

ti'esar
2018-04-29, 04:03 AM
Like I said in the past, I think the inactivity of this subforum is because it requires both the desire and commitment to do a comic in general, and some interest in this particular site (usually but not always limited to inspiration from OOTS) that would make someone do their comic here. I mean, if I personally ever manage to motivate myself to do the comic I've been thinking about for ages, I'd probably just set up my own site, or at the very least use a higher-visibility host.

Shoreward
2018-04-29, 10:20 AM
There's truth to that, of course, though in its heyday this section seems to have been quite active. Made because of a flood of fan comics, even, if you can believe that. Perhaps the fan-artists have mostly moved on since then.

I myself have no real aspirations of visibility with my comic works. It's not my primary project. I enjoy it, and that's enough for me, but most of my time is funneled toward my writing. Were I to draw my comic rather than use templates, I might host somewhere else... but I'd also expect it to be a primary focus rather than a secondary one. So I think you're right that it's a very specific set of circumstances in my case which make this section a perfect fit.

Still, I'd love to see more activity in general. Always nice to have more to read, and I think a smaller place like this is a good staging ground for projects tailored to the kind of crowd we have here.

ti'esar
2018-05-26, 02:23 AM
Thought that came to me today: did anyone ever make a tutorial of some kind for doing OOTS-style or more generally vector/template-using comics? I think there's been a handful for individual drawings or avatars and that sort of thing, but I dunno about full-fledged comics. It occurred to me that having one might make a few more people interested in this forum.

Shoreward
2018-05-26, 05:04 PM
Thought that came to me today: did anyone ever make a tutorial of some kind for doing OOTS-style or more generally vector/template-using comics? I think there's been a handful for individual drawings or avatars and that sort of thing, but I dunno about full-fledged comics. It occurred to me that having one might make a few more people interested in this forum.

Trazoi's Inkscape Guide (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/) is the only one I know, and like you said, it's focused around avatars. Good place to begin, though. I'm not sure what a comic guide would entail in this regard. Comic making is pretty broad, and tends to be more "useful, time-tested principle" than "hard-coded templates". What kinds of things did you imagine?

ti'esar
2018-05-26, 09:35 PM
I was thinking just basic principles beyond those of a single static image - backgrounds, posing, blocking, SFX, so forth.

Shoreward
2018-05-27, 08:28 PM
I could probably try to work on something, but I'm unsure where such a thing would go. It'd probably be an essay huge beyond belief.

Mikemical
2018-05-28, 12:03 AM
Is anyone working on something right now? Coming up with future schemes? Planning to come back to an old project or start a new one?

As you might remember, I'm currently working on one based on a 3-year D&D adventure I played with some friends. Would love to see more comics in this forum too.

Jubal_Barca
2018-08-02, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know how often the gates of this forum are checked? I think I submitted a thread yesterday, and I'm just wondering if my browser messed up the submission process. It probably just hasn't been got to yet but I'm aware things might have messed up at my end too - not meaning to hassle anyone, just wondering. :)

Shoreward
2018-08-03, 06:59 PM
Usually a week or two, but I was waiting at least a month for mine and ended up having to message the mods. If you're comfortable waiting a little, try that first (you can make some comics while you wait!), but if you feel like you've slipped through the cracks it's worth checking in with them. I imagine they have a lot of other priorities and don't always check down here.

Jubal_Barca
2018-08-04, 06:19 AM
Oh, eep, OK! I'll wait another week or so, don't want to bother the mods, I know from experience how hectic mod-life can get :)

If anyone wants to read the first couple of strips, I've got a mirror thread here in any case (and would appreciate feedback/thoughts):
https://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5721.0

Drakeburn
2018-10-15, 03:46 PM
Hello. I'm thinking about starting a fan comic. Aside from the fact that I haven't decided on what to make my fan comic about yet, I'm wondering about what I should make the size of my fan comic pages. Around 800 x 1000?

Jubal_Barca
2018-10-22, 04:46 PM
After messing around randomly for the first few comics, mine are now regularised at 1414x2000 in the original, and now I'm producing a smaller version for the forum at 1000x1414 - these ratios selected because they mean each page will fit a portrait A4 sheet in case I ever want to print them :)

Hope you do make one - always nice to see more stuff!

SusanDarwin
2020-11-24, 03:53 PM
Can I post my comics here??:smallannoyed:

Mallbod
2021-01-11, 05:08 AM
Can I post my comics here??:smallannoyed:

The same question

Shoreward
2021-01-12, 08:06 PM
The fancomics section is highly moderated, since during the heyday of the forums fancomics used to be quite numerous and needed constant vetting. As the stickied guidelines thread suggests, all threads created here require moderator approval to appear, and at least one comic in the main post to start off.

Historically approval has taken anywhere from a couple days to several weeks, and I assume that depends on moderator workload behind the scenes. The subforum isn't anywhere near as active as it used to be and I suspect these things sometimes slip through the cracks. If you're really concerned about it like I was, I was told to message one of the subforum mods about it, which did the trick for me.