PDA

View Full Version : Believe in me who believes in you! [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-02-04, 04:09 AM
Prodigal Overlord
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/Kamina.jpg
Kamina, a legendary prodigal overlord

Words are power, and not in that weird way that truenames are magical. The prodigal overlord has the grand ability to encourage his closest allies into legendary feats and accomplishments in battle. As prodigal overlords advance, they become more adept at granting bonuses and powers to their allies through sheer charisma, so long as the allies remain close by. The central focus of the class is on it's cohort, who gains many more powers than your other allies by virtue of this class.

HD: d10

Requirements
Alignment: Any non-lawful
BAB: +6
Skills: Diplomacy 9 ranks, Perform (oratory) 4 ranks
Feats: Leadership
Maneuvers: Ability to use 3rd level maneuvers, including at least two of either the Army of One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103406) or Scarlet Bravura (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5569037) disciplines.
Special: Must have used inspiration alone to guide a team of your allies to defeat a foe with a CR two higher than the highest level member of your party.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Martial Lore, Perform (Oratory), Swim and Tumble.
Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Stoke the flames
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Audacious warlord
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Bonus feat
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Brothers in arms
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Adamant camaraderie
6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Bravura onslaught
7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Heaven-piercing fury
8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|Bonus feat
9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|Glorious death
10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Invincible adamant brigade
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|0|0
2nd|0|0|0
3rd|1|1|0
4th|0|0|0
5th|1|0|1
6th|0|1|0
7th|1|0|0
8th|0|0|0
9th|1|1|0
10th|0|0|0
[/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Prodigal overlords gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At every odd-numbered level, a prodigal overlord gains new maneuvers known from the Army of One or Scarlet Bravura disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full prodigal overlord levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 5th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Army of One or Scarlet Bravura disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Stoke the Fires (Ex): You know the power your words have to encourage your closest ally. At first level, you can take a swift action to encourage your ally, granting them a morale bonus on damage rolls equal to your Charisma modifier for a number of rounds equal to your class level. You may only use this ability on one ally at a time.

Audacious Warlord (Ex): At 2nd level, your mastery as a natural leader advances. You gain a bonus to your leadership score equal to your class level.

Bonus Feats: At 3rd level, and again at 8th, you gain a bonus fighter feat for which you meet the prerequisites. Additionally, your prodigal overlord levels stack with fighter and warblade levels for determining effective fighter level for meeting the prerequisites of feats.

Brothers in Arms (Ex): At 4th level, you and your cohort are part of a perfect warrior companionship. As long as you are adjacent to at least one ally, you and all allies gain the benefits of the Improved Uncanny Dodge class feature. In addition, as long as you and one or more adjacent allies threaten an enemy, you are all treated as flanking that enemy.

Adamant Camaraderie (Ex): At 5th level, you learn a stance that can bolster your allies to new levels. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. When in this stance, all allies that can see or hear you gain an ongoing benefit, the benefit gained is chosen by the prodigal overlord from the list below. You may change the benefits from the list below as a swift action.

Heart: Your allies gain the slippery mind class feature. In addition, they gain a morale bonus on Will saves equal to your Charisma modifier.

Speed: Your allies gain a +30 ft. morale bonus to their base land speed. In addition, they gain a morale bonus on Reflex saves equal to your Charisma modifier.

Vigor: Whenever one of your allies is reduced to half or less of their maximum hp, they gain fast healing equal to your Charisma modifier (maximum fast healing 5) for as long as their hp is below half maximum. In addition, they gain a morale bonus on Fortitude saves equal to your Charisma modifier.

Bravura Onslaught (Ex): At 6th level, you know the perfect words to put your allies into a surging attack against your foe. As a swift action, you may make a Diplomacy check to rally your allies against one enemy, with a DC equal to 15 + twice that enemy's CR. If you do, then all your allies gain a morale bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on attack rolls against that foe and caster level checks to overcome that foe's spell resistance for one round.

Heaven-Piercing Fury (Su): At 7th level, you learn the strike that pierces the very heavens with it's fury and power. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 6th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. Initiating this strike requires a full round action, and you must be adjacent to at least one ally to initiate it. When you initiate this maneuver, both you and one adjacent ally may make a single melee attack. Each attack deals +10d6 damage. If you both attack and damage the same foe, then that enemy must make two Fortitude saves, both with a DC equal to 16 + your Charisma modifier. If he fails either one, then he is dazed for one round. If he fails both, he is instead stunned for 1d3 rounds.

Glorious Death (Su): At 9th level, your power over your comrades is so encouraged by your charisma and prowess that in death and near death your soul empowers theirs. You gain the Diehard feat as a bonus feat. In addition, rather than dying at -10 hp, you die at -(10 + your Charisma modifier). Thus, a Prodigal Warlord with a Charisma score of 18 would die at -14 hp, not -10 hp. Finally, as long as you are below 0 hp (even if you are dead), all allies that are within 30 ft. of you or that saw you die gain a morale bonus equal to your Charisma modifier, maximum +5, on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws. In addition, they are treated as having one additional level in any class of their choice for determining what class features they gain, their effective class level, gaining new spells per day or spells known, and so on. These bonuses last for as long as you are below -0 hp. If you die, then they last for as long as you remain dead or until your allies next gain a level.

Invincible Adamant Brigade (Su): At 10th level, your charisma and will does something outrageous and fantastic. As a swift action, you may manifest a powerful armor about you and your allies within 60 ft., a magical armament born of sheer bravura. Your armor grants you a +10 armor bonus to AC and damage reduction 10/adamantine. That gained by your allies grants a +6 armor bonus to AC, and damage reduction 5/adamantine. Your armor counts as heavy armor; your allies counts as light armor. Both armors have a maximum Dexterity bonus of 5, a 10% arcane spell failure chance, and no armor check penalty. In addition, the armors grant a drill-like natural weapon that deals 2d6 damage, plus one and a half times the wielder's Strength modifier, with a +5 enhancement bonus. In addition, once during the duration of this ability, you and each ally may, as a swift action, grant yourself the benefits of the haste spell, with caster level equal to your initiator level, for one round. The manifested armor lasts for a number of rounds equal to your initiator level. You may use this ability once per encounter, and cannot use it outside of combat.

Pramxnim
2009-02-04, 06:04 AM
Hurray for a class inspired by Kamina!

I really like the class and how it faithfully emulates Kamina from TTGL. There are still a few errors that slip in now and then.

Stoke the Fires (Ex): You know the power your words have to encourage your closest ally. At first level, you can take a swift action to encourage your cohort, granting them a morale bonus on damage rolls equal to your Charisma modifier for a number of rounds equal to your class level. You may only use this ability on one ally at a time.

Brothers in Arms (Ex): At 4th level, you and your cohort are part of a perfect warrior companionship. As long as you are adjacent to at least one ally, you and ally allies gain the benefits of the Improved Uncanny Dodge class feature. In addition, as long as you and one or more adjacent allies threaten an enemy, you are all treated as flanking that enemy.

Emphasis mine.
- The word "cohort" should be replaced with ally
- Small syntax error. Should be "ally/allies"

Also, concerning the class' level 6 ability:

Bravura Onslaught (Ex): At 6th level, you know the perfect words to put your allies into a surging attack against your foe. As a swift action, you may make a Diplomacy check to rally your allies against one enemy, with a DC equal to 15 + twice that enemy's CR. If you do, then all your allies gain a morale bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on attack rolls against that foe and caster level checks to overcome that foe's spell resistance for one round.

I feel that the DC is too high at that level. The minimum CR for a party of 4 at that level is 12. It's highly likely that the party will be seeing CR 12 or above creatures (which are most likely the kind of monsters that people will use Bravura Onslaught against) and a DC of 15+2x12 = 39+ is a bit much for a PC of that level.

Let's say the PC put max ranks into Diplomacy, somehow got a +6 modifier to Cha and another +6 from skill synergy (not likely, considering the Kamina archetype wouldn't really need Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) or Sense Motive... maybe Sense Motive in combat). Anyways, that puts the skill mod at an average of +27...

Oh wait, never mind. A diplomacy roll of 12 or above is very feasible. Forget I said anything.

Ehem, one more thing. I don't really like the Leadership feat requirement for this class. I understand the flavour reason, but introducing Leadership will mean a lot of additional book keeping, and will most likely crowd the party, what with the class levels adding to Leadership...
I tried once to min/max Leadership for The Demented One's Evil Overlord class. I ended up with a score of 24 at level 10, and that's only with a 2 level dip in the class.
Somehow I don't think making the class Leadership-centric is such a good idea, but that's just me.

Finally, about the capstone ability.
1. I think it should have a range in which it is effective, say 60 ft, for better clarity.
2. Other than that, is the drill weapon mandatory? Can the Overlord's allies use their own weapons if they feel like it?
3. I know it's common knowledge, but you might want to add a note that the armour bonus does not stack with a character's normal AC bonus granted from armour or bracers of armour, for those who don't already know.
4. Once per encounter is too much, methinks. How about making it usable a number of times per day equal to 1 + 1/2 Cha mod?
5. The duration is unnecessarily long. By level 16, your IL will be at least 15 (Since to get into this class, you require an IL of at least 5 at entry). Combat usually doesn't last that long. I see no problem limiting the duration to Cha mod rounds or a fixed duration of around 5-7 rounds.

Phew, that's all I have for now. Great class to make use of Scarlet Bravura and Army of One! I look forward to seeing it in action somewhere (were you and Demented One going to playtest it in a pbp game on this board? If so, do post the links somewhere in your sigs so people can get a feel of how it plays out.

Cheers!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-02-04, 06:18 AM
Emphasis mine.
- The word "cohort" should be replaced with ally
- Small syntax error. Should be "ally/allies"
-No, cohort is the accurate word. It means the cohort achieved through use of the Leadership feat.
-I'll fix that.

Also, concerning the class' level 6 ability:
I feel that the DC is too high at that level. The minimum CR for a party of 4 at that level is 12. It's highly likely that the party will be seeing CR 12 or above creatures (which are most likely the kind of monsters that people will use Bravura Onslaught against) and a DC of 15+2x12 = 39+ is a bit much for a PC of that level.
Let's say the PC put max ranks into Diplomacy, somehow got a +6 modifier to Cha and another +6 from skill synergy (not likely, considering the Kamina archetype wouldn't really need Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) or Sense Motive... maybe Sense Motive in combat). Anyways, that puts the skill mod at an average of +27...
Oh wait, never mind. A diplomacy roll of 12 or above is very feasible. Forget I said anything.
Done.

Ehem, one more thing. I don't really like the Leadership feat requirement for this class. I understand the flavour reason, but introducing Leadership will mean a lot of additional book keeping, and will most likely crowd the party, what with the class levels adding to Leadership...
I tried once to min/max Leadership for The Demented One's Evil Overlord class. I ended up with a score of 24 at level 10, and that's only with a 2 level dip in the class.
Somehow I don't think making the class Leadership-centric is such a good idea, but that's just me.
I suppose I'm just used to groups who use Leadership responsibly. I know the horrible things that could be done in a game that include characters with insane Leadership scores and their own personal armies, but I just generally assume if a feat's going to be thrown around, it will be used responsibly.

Finally, about the capstone ability.
1. I think it should have a range in which it is effective, say 60 ft, for better clarity.
2. Other than that, is the drill weapon mandatory? Can the Overlord's allies use their own weapons if they feel like it?
3. I know it's common knowledge, but you might want to add a note that the armour bonus does not stack with a character's normal AC bonus granted from armour or bracers of armour, for those who don't already know.
4. Once per encounter is too much, methinks. How about making it usable a number of times per day equal to 1 + 1/2 Cha mod?
5. The duration is unnecessarily long. By level 16, your IL will be at least 15 (Since to get into this class, you require an IL of at least 5 at entry). Combat usually doesn't last that long. I see no problem limiting the duration to Cha mod rounds or a fixed duration of around 5-7 rounds.
1. Sure, I'll add that. Don't know why I didn't before.
2. It's a natural weapon, you can use it and both your hands to use weapons.
3. Eh, sure. Edit: Actually, I don't recall but I might have meant to make that in addition to your current armor bonus to AC or not...
4. I don't think it's any different from any other 1/encounter abilities that have that kind of duration. It just means you can use it effectively in a fight, but if the fight drags on you might be screwed. It's more of a fail safe than an expectedly limited ability.

Phew, that's all I have for now. Great class to make use of Scarlet Bravura and Army of One! I look forward to seeing it in action somewhere (were you and Demented One going to playtest it in a pbp game on this board? If so, do post the links somewhere in your sigs so people can get a feel of how it plays out.

Cheers!

I make so many classes that playtesting even half would take up all the time I have... and that's my sitting-around-doing-nothing time, dammit!

Thanks for reviewing my class.:smallsmile:

The Demented One
2009-02-04, 08:29 AM
-No, cohort is the accurate word. It means the cohort achieved through use of the Leadership feat.
Uh, I was actually going to change "cohort" to "ally" when I was editing this, just because of the whole allies being more useful then cohorts bit. Just forgot about it.

I suppose I'm just used to groups who use Leadership responsibly. I know the horrible things that could be done in a game that include characters with insane Leadership scores and their own personal armies, but I just generally assume if a feat's going to be thrown around, it will be used responsibly.
Leadership works if you keep the cohort, and either get rid of the followers or put them backstage.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-02-04, 09:36 AM
Uh, I was actually going to change "cohort" to "ally" when I was editing this, just because of the whole allies being more useful then cohorts bit. Just forgot about it.

Now you've gone and made me look the fool.

Leadership works if you keep the cohort, and either get rid of the followers or put them backstage.

Usually what we do.
"My army will guard my fortress/this town/caravan."
"Okay, then you wander off away from them into a cramped dungeon where an army has no business."
"Exactly."

vasharanpaladin
2009-02-04, 07:18 PM
Must... convince... DM... to allow this.... @_@

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-02-05, 03:32 AM
Must... convince... DM... to allow this.... @_@

Here! Take my Cha modifier!

I believe in you!

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-05, 03:52 AM
I'd put an end cap on Glorious Death, perhaps 5 rounds per hit die? Or 1d4 rounds per hit die or somesuch.

Other then that, it looks like a nice way to soup up my marshall.