PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Extra spells for a Duskblade

weenie
2009-02-04, 07:46 AM
Which spells do you think are worth getting for a Duskblade, if your DM allows you to take spells from the sorc/wiz spell list with Extra Spell?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-02-04, 08:00 AM
Wraithstrike, Bladeweave, and Polymorph.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-04, 08:09 AM
+1 Wraithstrike.

If he doesn't allow such cheese, try something utilitarian like Overland Flight.

Swooper
2009-02-04, 08:22 AM
Whirling Blade! Channel something nasty on every enemy in a 60' line.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-04, 08:28 AM
Invisibility, Greater Heroism, polymorph.

weenie
2009-02-04, 09:29 AM
Wraithstrike might be a bit too much.. I already have full BaB and do lots of damage without power attack. Also wraithstrike is pure cheese.

I was thinking about taking Sonic weapon or Combust at lvl 9. First one is a nice spell to quicken at the start of the fight, the other is a nice channeling spell.

Keld Denar
2009-02-04, 01:49 PM
Whirling Blade! Channel something nasty on every enemy in a 60' line.

+1

This is possibly my most favoritest spell in the whole wide world. It gives Duskblades a SCALEABLE ranged attack (ranged nukes don't scale as well as this). Plus, combining Multichannel with the ability to hit a dozen or so enemies (potentially) is pretty badass IMO.

Its worth noting, if its not overwhelmingly clear, that you CAN and SHOULD 2handed Power Attack while Whirling Blading.

BenTheJester
2009-02-04, 02:22 PM
Shivering Touch
Night's Caress(LM)
Hound of Doom
Celerity
Favor of the martyr
(and of course, wraithstrike)

Thespianus
2009-02-05, 03:00 AM
+1

This is possibly my most favoritest spell in the whole wide world. It gives Duskblades a SCALEABLE ranged attack (ranged nukes don't scale as well as this). Plus, combining Multichannel with the ability to hit a dozen or so enemies (potentially) is pretty badass IMO.

Its worth noting, if its not overwhelmingly clear, that you CAN and SHOULD 2handed Power Attack while Whirling Blading.

Uhm.. Wouldn't Wraithstrike stack with Whirling Blade? :smallamused:

Then again, I'm not sure how that would work, I've never played a Duskblade and I'm away from the books now. Basically, it would allow you to cast three spells in a round (swift Wraithstrike, Channeled Shocking Grasp and Whirling Blade) so it might get overly crazy :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2009-02-05, 04:59 AM
Uhm.. Wouldn't Wraithstrike stack with Whirling Blade? :smallamused:

Nope. Whirling Blade gives a Reflex save instead of having attack rolls.

Keld Denar
2009-02-05, 05:24 AM
Nope. Whirling Blade gives a Reflex save instead of having attack rolls.

Read it again. Its a melee attack against all targets in the range. No save involved.

And yes, you could Wraithstrike with a Whirling Blade, but most Whirling Blade builds either have full/near full BAB (No iteratives means you can PA high without fear of iteratives missing) or don't really 2handed PA it (most Bard builds with DFI or similar). Wraithstriking with WB is kinda overkill.

Thespianus
2009-02-07, 02:44 AM
And yes, you could Wraithstrike with a Whirling Blade, but most Whirling Blade builds either have full/near full BAB (No iteratives means you can PA high without fear of iteratives missing) or don't really 2handed PA it (most Bard builds with DFI or similar). Wraithstriking with WB is kinda overkill.
What I'm thinking is that, while it might be overkill for a Duskblade, it might be wonderful for an Arcane Rogue: Dealing Sneak Attack damage on the surprise round to every monster in a line with a thrown Kukri seems nice. Since Arcane Rogues don't have the BAB of a Duskblade, it could help to score quite a bit of damage. :)

A bit off topic: I assume Sneak Attack would be applied to each attack from the Whirling Blade-spell in that scenario? Or would SA be limited in this case? In that case, why?

Keld Denar
2009-02-07, 06:03 AM
Nope, Whirling Blade is in every way a melee attack, except, you know...not adjacent. Its also doesn't have a "side" and can't flank, but yea, if you hit with it in the surprise round, you could get SA on every attack in the line, since all foes would be flat footed to you.

I actually tried to build a good Arcane Scout (Wiz/Scout/UnseenSeer), using move + WB to do lots of damage and inflict the Staggered condition (Staggering Strike feat) on a large number of foes. Unfortunately, damage was low because you can't qualify for Improved Scirmish with fewer than 4 Scout levels (dead caster levels) and BAB was an issue. You don't get to +6 BAB until level like, ECL12m which is WAY too late for your main schtick to come into play. Thus, I had to scrap the idea.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-02-07, 03:14 PM
Polymorph! It's the best friend of anyone who wants to...do anything, really, but especially melee.

Transform into a Firbolg, squish puny humans. Transform into something with flight, laugh at the mages trying to escape you (until they teleport - Dimensional Anchor's probably not worth another feat). Etc.