PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shapethief

Person_Man
2009-02-04, 10:48 AM
Over the years, I’ve gained a hatred of shapechangers. As a DM, I hate it when a PC abuses Wildshape or Polymorph or similar abilities. As a PC, I hate tracking down an enemy only to discover that they’re an entirely different enemy via DM fiat, with the rationale being some sort of shapechanging ability. So I present to you:

Shapethief

Requirements: Ability to Steal Spell Effect and Steal Spell-Like Ability.

d8 hit die

The Shapethief does not gain any bonus weapon or armor proficiencies.

6 Skill Points per level

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2| Spellthief Ability, Shapechanger’s Bane (Shapechanger) +2d6

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3| Smell of Deception

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3| Reveal True Form

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4| Shapechanger’s Bane (Alternate Form) +4d6

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4| Silvered Attacks

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+5| Steal Form

7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+5| Shapechanger’s Bane (Wildshape) +6d6

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+6| True Self

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6| True Seeing

10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+7| Shapechanger’s Bane (Transmutation) +8d6, Become What You Most Hate[/table]

Class Abilities

Spellthief Ability: Your Shapethief levels stack with your Spellthief levels for determining your Steal Spell Effect and Steal Spell-Like Ability class abilities.

Your Shapethief levels do not stack with your Spellthief levels to determine any other class ability, such as Steal Spell, spellcasting, etc.

Shapechanger’s Bane (Ex): You gain a +2d6 Sneak Attack that only applies to enemies with the Shapechanger subtype. You must still otherwise qualify for Sneak Attack damage (must be Flanked or denied Dexterity bonus) in order to apply it.

This bonus increases by an additional 2d6 every 3 levels. This bonus stacks with Sneak Attack bonuses from other sources when applicable.

At 4th level, your Shapechanger’s Bane also applies to anyone with an Alternate Form from a racial, template, or class ability.

At 7th level, your Shapechanger’s Bane also applies to anyone with the Wildshape ability (or any similar ability provided by an alternate class feature or prestige class that requires or replaces Wildshape).

At 10th level, your Shapechanger’s Bane also applies to anyone who is willingly under the effect of a Transmutation spell or effect. This does not apply to individuals who are unwillingly the subject of such effects (such as if you cast Reduce Person on them), nor does it effect individuals who are carrying equipment under a Transmutation effect (such as Magic Weapon).

Smell of Deception (Ex): You gain the Scent Ability. In addition to its normal properties (the ability to recognize people by scent, Track by scent, locate someone’s position by scent, etc), you may automatically determine the true type and subtype of anyone within your Scent’s range, regardless of their current form.

You also gain your Shapethief level as a bonus to Sense Motive.

Reveal True Form (Su): If you successfully hit and damage an enemy with your Shapechanger’s Bane ability, the enemy must make a Will Save (DC = 10 + Shapethief class level + your Cha modifier) or revert back to their true form. In addition, they may not change forms for a number of rounds equal to your Shapethief level. The duration of multiple uses of the Reveal True Form ability on the same enemy overlap. You may use this ability once per round as a Free Action.

Silvered Attacks (Ex): Any weapon that you wield (including natural weapons and ranged weapons) count as being alchemical silver and magical for the purpose of overcoming Damage Reduction.

Steal Form (Su): When you use your Reveal True Form ability, you may forgo 2d6 Sneak Attack damage in an attempt to steal their form. If your enemy fails their Will Save, they still suffer the normal effects of Reveal True Form and you may take the form that they previously held as an Immediate Action.

You are limited to taking forms with hit dice equal to or less then your character level. While in this form, you follow the standard Alternate Form rules for your attributes, abilities, and all other effects. You may maintain this new form for a number of rounds equal to your Shapethief level, or until you choose to dismiss it as a Free Action.

If an ally who is subject to your Shapechanger’s Bane is willing, you may use Steal Form to take their form with a touch as a Standard Action without dealing damage. They suffer the effects of Reveal True form while you are using your Steal Form ability, and thus cannot change forms while it is stolen.

True Self (Su): You are now immune to the Curse of Lycanthropy, and any other effect that would change your type or subtype against your will. In addition, you gain your Charisma bonus as a bonus to Saves against any Transmutation effect. This bonus stacks with bonuses from other sources, such as Divine Grace or Spellgrace.

True Seeing (Su): You gain the ability to use True Seeing for a number of minutes each day equal to your Shapethief level, which you may split up throughout the day however you wish. Activating this ability is a Standard Action, and dismissing it is a Free Action.

Become What You Most Hate (Su): From now on when you successfully use the Steal Form ability, you may incorporate the stolen form into your very being. You gain the stolen form as a permanent Alternate Form. You may change into this form as a Standard Action whenever you wish, and dismiss it as a free action. (This does not alter the duration of your Reveal True Form ability. Enemies may still alter their forms after 10 rounds).

You may maintain a total number of Alternate Forms equal to your Charisma bonus. You may replace an existing Alternate Form with a new one if you wish, although the maximum number held may never be higher then your Charisma Bonus. If your Charisma is ever damaged or otherwise reduced, you lose the most recently gained Alternate Form(s) until the number of forms known reflects your new Charisma bonus. If you are ever killed (reduced to -10 hit points or less) you lose all of your stored Alternate Forms, even if you are later resurrected or reincarnated.

You may maintain any combination of your Alternate Forms for up to 10 + your Charisma bonus rounds per day (including the time taken to change forms), which you may split up throughout the day however you wish. This is in addition to any time you spend in a newly stolen form using the Steal Form ability.

You gain the Shapechanger subtype.

PEACH.

Adumbration
2009-02-04, 11:11 AM
I like it, and if my DM allows it, I shall use it - I have a second level Spellthief at a game at the moment. :smallsmile:

Since this is so specialized, though, I don't think it would imbalance it too much to make the Spellthief ability give Steal Spell as well. If you don't come across shapeshifters that often, the ability to still steal spells effectively would make up for it.

ShifterOne
2009-02-04, 11:19 AM
Heh. Sounds like a neat class. :smallsmile:
(Myself, I love shapechanging, but the problem is that it's rarely if ever handled right by the DM or players.)

Draz74
2009-02-04, 11:22 AM
Nice. :smallamused: Glad to see my idea went over well. Making it a Spellthief-specific PrC was creative, and should make Fax happy.

Atelm
2009-02-04, 11:22 AM
@Adumbration: Planning on multiclassing in said DM's campaign, perhaps? :smallwink:

Person_Man
2009-02-04, 12:10 PM
I like it, and if my DM allows it, I shall use it - I have a second level Spellthief at a game at the moment. :smallsmile:

Since this is so specialized, though, I don't think it would imbalance it too much to make the Spellthief ability give Steal Spell as well. If you don't come across shapeshifters that often, the ability to still steal spells effectively would make up for it.

I thought about that, and decided not to go with it. It was a tough call though, and I might reverse it if people play test it and think the class needs more help. I just didn't want to step on the Spellthief's signature ability. And I assume that if you're playing a "X Slayer" class, that the DM would let you hunt down a X during the course of a campaign at some point.

But I think that the PrC is inherently self-balancing. If your DM throws crazy stuff at you (lycanthropes, vampires, doppelganger, succubus, high level demons, devils, dragons, or druids), then you can take them down and steal their form.

If not, then you don't have to worry about an entire category of enemies. And you still have full BAB, d8 hit die, 6 Skill points per level from a good list, Steal Spell Effect, Steal Spell Like Ability, Scent, class level to Sense Motive, Cha bonus to Saves against Transmutation effects, True Seeing, and the ability to borrow forms from any shapechanger in your party (if there are any). Certainly not powerful. But I think it's interesting and flexible.

I'm still very open to potential edits though. So let me know if I missed anything interesting.

Darrin
2009-02-04, 12:45 PM
New name suggestion: Skinwalker

As described, it's not exactly the same as Navajo mythology, but then again it's not that far off from it, either.

I'm still very open to potential edits though. So let me know if I missed anything interesting.

You might want to consider adding Disguise as a class skill. While in an alternate form/stolen shape, they would get a +10 on Disguise checks. It's also fairly likely that a Shapethief would be using a stolen shape to infiltrate or fool similar groups of enemies. Maybe something like add your class level to Disguise checks while in an alternate form.

You might want to make some distinction on whether the stolen shape is *identical* down to exact facial features, birthmarks, voice, mannerisms, etc. (which might allow a PC to impersonate Count Strahd), or if the stolen shape is a generic approximate ("ok, fine, you look like a vampire, but there's no way the valet will let you use Count Strahd's parking space.")

Baron Corm
2009-02-04, 04:54 PM
Perhaps some sort of Steal Spell replacement. At first level, you can steal forms from ability replicating 1st level spells at below, increasing by one at each level, until you can steal from any ability at level 10.

This would give him the Steal Form ability from level 1, which, according to the name of the class, should really be the main feature, instead of Shapechanger's Bane.

Also, I really don't think that Become What You Most Hate is appropriate for the class, because, well, you hate them. That's up to preference though I suppose. Some flavor would be helpful in justifying that as well as the other class features.