PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Why Is There No "Legs" Item Slot?

Fax Celestis
2009-02-04, 12:19 PM
So I'm going over item slots, and I'm curious as to something: there is no "legs" slot.

No, no, don't start with the "But there's a boots slot!" argument. Immaterial. There's an "arms" slot and a "hands" slot, isn't there? And Feet:Legs::Hands:Arms.

And before you get into the "armor comes with legs coverings" shtick, consider thus: while "full plate" in real life entails a full suit of armor, wearing full plate in-game does not occupy your head, hands, feet, waist, face, or arms slots, so a suit of full plate doesn't apparently come with a helmet, gauntlets, boots, belt, faceplate or even forearm protection. You can also wear a robe over it or a shirt underneath it.

To me, this looks like a squandered opportunity. Why can't one have miraculous pants? Why not have greaves of the sun sentinel? What about greaves of protection +2 or pants of the secret of monkey island (capable of storing even canoes!)?

What're other people's thoughts on this?

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 12:23 PM
Miraculous pants seem excessive, but I don't object to greaves.

I think the problem is that legwear just isn't very specialized...it's pants. There's little mythological precedent, and history has few pieces of equipment exclusive to the thigh, knee and calf.

slexlollar89
2009-02-04, 12:25 PM
You ever play Morrowind? I had magic pants in that game... glorious, yet tight, magical noble pants. I always houserule their are leg/knee slots. No one messes with the guy who can shoot cloudkills out of his pajama pant's buttflap!

Fax Celestis
2009-02-04, 12:28 PM
I think the problem is that legwear just isn't very specialized...it's pants. There's little mythological precedent, and history has few pieces of equipment exclusive to the thigh, knee and calf.

On that same argument, neither are the hands slot. You either have gloves made of a soft substance, or gloves made of a hard substance (gauntlets).

Zergrusheddie
2009-02-04, 12:29 PM
Probably because armor like Full Plate includes leggings and a helmet. Bracers aren't exactly made for your entire arm. If you were wearing Full Plate and wanted to wear +2 Assless Chaps of Charm, you would probably take a hit to AC. :smallwink:

Alleine
2009-02-04, 12:29 PM
Perhaps WotC just didn't want to have to think of wonderous items to fill the legs slot because all anyone could think of were magical pants and the idea just seemed silly?

I, for one, would like some magic pants on my characters. I think with some of them it would be the only magic item they would have for a looooong time.

RTGoodman
2009-02-04, 12:33 PM
I don't think it'd necessarily be a problem, but if you follow the Body Slot Affinities "guidelines" then there's not really anything special you could give to the "Pants Slot" unless you guys can come up with anything.

Personally, I would be more likely to REDUCE the number of slots like 4E (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20080123), which combined shoulder and throat, body and torso, arms and shield, and face and head, since those always seemed like silly distinctions for the most part anyway.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-04, 12:35 PM
Probably because armor like Full Plate includes leggings and a helmet. Bracers aren't exactly made for your entire arm. If you were wearing Full Plate and wanted to wear +2 Assless Chaps of Charm, you would probably take a hit to AC. :smallwink:

Except, no, armor doesn't take up those slots. Unless you're telling me that this:

Full Plate

The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor.

...means wearing a suit of full plate takes up your hands, feet, armor, torso, and shirt slots.

Woo! Another way to shaft the fighter!

Greg
2009-02-04, 12:35 PM
You ever play Morrowind? I had magic pants in that game...
I used Parachute Pants - CE slowfall. Handy piece of kit there.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-04, 12:41 PM
The pants slot would be helpful, IMHO. It would at least give the Sorc somewhere to put his Cha-booster besides the Cloak spot(Assless chaps or tight pants of Cha would be epic and hilarious).

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 12:43 PM
On that same argument, neither are the hands slot. You either have gloves made of a soft substance, or gloves made of a hard substance (gauntlets).

Yes, but not only is there a fantasy precedent for both gloves and gauntlets, but it is also more high-concept. A gauntlet of strength or throwing lightning bolts, or a glove of dexterity, is simply a powerfully evocative mental image. It's harder to picture someone crafting pands of thunderbolts, which smite the unlucky devil that you knee in the groin.

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 12:44 PM
The pants slot would be helpful, IMHO. It would at least give the Sorc somewhere to put his Cha-booster besides the Cloak spot(Assless chaps or tight pants of Cha would be epic and hilarious).

Now we know why Hennet's got the belt-fetish... he's making up for the lack of Leg slot!

Darth Stabber
2009-02-04, 12:45 PM
cargo shorts of holding
Pants with a bag of holding type 1 on each leg.

ericgrau
2009-02-04, 12:48 PM
There are already a ton of magic item slots. I would guess that they left out leg for the sake of brevity and because of the possibility of magic pants.

Zergrusheddie
2009-02-04, 12:49 PM
...means wearing a suit of full plate takes up your hands, feet, armor, torso, and shirt slots.

Woo! Another way to shaft the fighter!

I think the people who made the game were almost thinking that, yes. You can wear different gloves, different boots, and wear bracers under metal armor. The leather padding was so that a Mace hit didn't instantly transfer it's force to your chest.

WotC probably decided that allowing a Fighter to grab new helmets/headbands, boots, and gloves and that it shouldn't change the overall AC of the Fighter but removing leg-guards would.

Of course, there is no earring slot and only 2 rings despite having many other digits. Sometimes things are made to be balanced and sometimes they are just forgotten.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-04, 12:50 PM
Yes, but not only is there a fantasy precedent for both gloves and gauntlets, but it is also more high-concept. A gauntlet of strength or throwing lightning bolts, or a glove of dexterity, is simply a powerfully evocative mental image. It's harder to picture someone crafting pands of thunderbolts, which smite the unlucky devil that you knee in the groin.

Well, you'd have to have some sense with what they can do. Associated abilities could be extradimensional pockets, perhaps, or increased movement speed. Maybe plusses to Reflex saves. Increased carrying capacity. Stability (or upgrades to stability). Bonuses to Perform skills (like Perform: Dance).

Then you can also make subtle jokes (as D&D items do) and make parachute pants, which feather fall you.

Totally Guy
2009-02-04, 01:04 PM
Wiz-Aubury: "Hey, we should have a legs slot for magic leg armours!"

Wiz-Boris: "Yeah! I could design Magic Leather, Pants of Power, Pants of Divine Purity and Pants of Deception Flameburt. It'll be great!"

Wiz-Charlie: "But what about sales in England where the word pants by itself automatically implies underpants and is consequently hilarious?"

Wiz-Aubury: "Oh good point."

Wiz-Boris: "Hmmm... Spatbook?"

WotC proudly presents the latest expansion to the basic game: Britches of Battle!

Magic items galore, from the anti-werewolf armour Long Johns of Silver to the fabled Kord Pants. And Battle mages, place your spell components in your magic khaki cargo combats of component concealment.

Discover new monsters such as the Lurking Levi and the Trouser Titan!

New classes! Discover the Marching Master Prestige Class and the new base Class Can-Can kick dancer! Full BAB!

Extra feats! A trained rogue can steal a belt straight off someone. Then after a flanker de-pants your opponent you can grapple by stepping on the floored britches!

All classes can benefit from warrior to skillmonkey!

*Cover of the book featuring Gimble the Bard wearing Clown pants.*
If only I'd got in the Waist to Feet / Waste 2 Feat pun.

Epinephrine
2009-02-04, 01:05 PM

Great minds think alike - chaps of sexiness were one of the first items to come to mind, along with the Kilt of the Moon - say, a Moon Bolt 3/day, and you can guess how you activate it.

Draz74
2009-02-04, 01:15 PM
I find your lack of pants disturbing.

You came in those pants? You're braver than I thought!

These aren't the pants you're looking for.

I'm not in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, Princess. I expect to be well paid! I'm in it for the pants!

... sorry, just seemed timely.

kamikasei
2009-02-04, 01:46 PM
while "full plate" in real life entails a full suit of armor, wearing full plate in-game does not occupy your head, hands, feet, waist, face, or arms slots, so a suit of full plate doesn't apparently come with a helmet, gauntlets, boots, belt, faceplate or even forearm protection.

Not precisely.

Armor is always created so that even if the type of armor comes with boots or gauntlets, these pieces can be switched for other magic boots or gauntlets. (src) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm)

The fact that helmets don't affect AC is its own issue. I would assume any belt could be worn over your armor, and that forearm protection could be swapped out just as hand/feet slots can.

You can also wear a robe over it or a shirt underneath it.

Pretty sure this is false.

One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt) (src) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)

You can wear a robe or armor, and a "shirt". You can't wear armor and a robe.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of what a leg slot could cover is already taken care of by boots and/or armor. Protection? Armor. Jumping, running, etc? Boots.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-04, 01:55 PM
The fact that helmets don't affect AC is its own issue. I would assume any belt could be worn over your armor, and that forearm protection could be swapped out just as hand/feet slots can.So, then, could shin guards, I would assume.

You can wear a robe or armor, and a "shirt". You can't wear armor and a robe. Okay, you got me there. Still, though. You can wear a shirt and armor, why not pants?

I think part of the problem is that a lot of what a leg slot could cover is already taken care of by boots and/or armor. Protection? Armor. Jumping, running, etc? Boots.Carrying capacity? Stability? Charisma? Bonuses on long distance travel? Reflex saves?

Draz74
2009-02-04, 02:03 PM
Carrying capacity?
... why? The thematic connection seems tenuous. Sure, your legs support your weight when you're carrying stuff, but so does your back, and your feet, and ... etc.

Stability?
Can be done just fine by the Feet slot.

Charisma?
I don't think WotC wanted this level of innuendo in their core rules. :smallyuk:

Bonuses on long distance travel?
Can be done by the Feet slot. But I guess it sort of makes sense too.

Reflex saves?
Can be done just fine by the Feet slot.

In fact, I think I've actually seen some officially-published magic Greaves somewhere that used the Feet slot. And Anklets in the MIC sure do. So it appears to be on purpose that legs and feet really share one body slot.

If you want to make magic pants, I suggest they compete with belts for the Waist slot. Just my 2 cents.

Bayar
2009-02-04, 02:07 PM
Think that Fax played a bit too much Morrowind :biggrin:

MammonAzrael
2009-02-04, 02:22 PM
The legs do seem to be the common casualty of the magic item bonanza. While it is more difficult to think of great enchantments for them, I do think they should at least be an option.

I mean, the legs are a good chunk of most bodies, why can't you enchant the fabric/armor that protects them? Of course, it's also funny to think of everyone in the D&D world running around pantless because there is no leg slot. :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2009-02-04, 02:24 PM
"Other slots already do it" seems like a really weak argument to me, especially if you want to argue that it was the intent of the designers that each slot do something unique- the official affinities list already has duplications for 'protection' (cloaks and amulets) and 'physical improvement' (shirts and belts.) Not to mention the multiple vaguely differentiated affinities, like 'ranged attacks', 'combat', and 'destructive power'.

I would argue that there are just too many magic item slots as is, and there's no particular game need for more regardless of much sense it would make for a legs slot to exist. Especially if the MIC rules on combining enchantments are used, which alleviates one of the biggest pressures on limited spaces by no longer forcing you to pay extra just to get both Natural Armor and Con/Wis.

hamishspence
2009-02-04, 02:29 PM
The Kilt sounds like an interesting choice for a magic item.

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 02:34 PM
Think that Fax played a bit too much Morrowind :biggrin:

I was seriously wondering; I have never played a CRPG or PCRPG with a leg slot for equipment.

Oslecamo
2009-02-04, 02:36 PM
You're all wrong.

All worn magic items except armor can be sundered.

So if there were magic pants they could be sundered.

And there's no underwear in D&D.

Thus, the existence of magic pants would mean that players may find themselves with the wrong part exposed during battle.

And let's not talk about something like cursed magic pants that you couldn't take off. That would be really crippling.

In a more serious note, probably because there's already plenty of body slots. Just like there aren't magic earrings or shoulderpads.

Bayar
2009-02-04, 02:43 PM
And let's not talk about something like cursed magic pants that you couldn't take off. That would be really crippling.

OMG ! My Codpiece of warmth is actually a Devouring Codpiece ! :eek:

:biggrin:

Darth Stabber
2009-02-04, 02:46 PM
Trouser Effects:
Speed (Running shorts +xfeet of movement)
Swim (swimming trunks - Gain x swim speed)
Stability (+x against bullrush and trip attempts)
Reflex saves (dodgeball shorts, +x to reflex saves)
Feather fall (the aforementioned parchute pants)
storage/carry capacity (Bag of holding/ ignore x pounds of carried weight {but not worn equipment weight})
endurance related things (+x against fatigue/exaustion)
Surprising your opponents (+x init)
kicking attack bonuses (Kick pants +x to unarmed attacks)
hide/move silently bonuses (Stealth pants)
freedom of movement (pants unbound?)

Actually, on Nuisha(OWoD Werecoyotes) character sheets, the space where auspice would be for the other changing breeds the coyotes have a spot for pants (in the example characters the the pants spot is used for something witty, and with being gaia's laughter and all, how they respond to an easy joke set up does demonstrate things about your character's personality, and the nuisha have no auspice{they are all ragabash})

Alleine
2009-02-04, 02:47 PM

In a more serious note, probably because there's already plenty of body slots. Just like there aren't magic earrings or shoulderpads.

No, that's perfect! Cursed pants would be awesome! Like pants of invisibility that don't allow you to place another pair of pants over them?

Legs are a kind of major body part, and most people wear things on their legs so it seems very strange that they neglect the leg slot. I can see bypassing things like earrings pretty easily.

Oh jeeze, I just thought about Pants of Enlarge or Pants of Giant Size. Introduce those and the rest of the session will be lost :smallsigh:

kamikasei
2009-02-04, 02:50 PM
So, then, could shin guards, I would assume.

Okay, you got me there. Still, though. You can wear a shirt and armor, why not pants?

I didn't intend that post to argue against a leg slot (at least, not those parts of the post), simply to point out an error. In fact it makes more sense to have your own trousers on under armor than to swap out the other slots, which would presumably mean a hit to AC.

Kalirren
2009-02-04, 02:51 PM
Of course you can't have a leg slot. This game would then be unfair to female characters, who are expected to wear chainmail bikinis into battle, by denying them the benefit of the leg slot for magical items.

Now, if you could come up with a house rule that accurately simulated the Bikini effect in anime (the less you wear, the more invulnerable you are) then introducing a leg slot for magical items becomes a more gender-neutral idea.

Harperfan7
2009-02-04, 08:13 PM
I've always wondered why there weren't any too.

In oblivion, there are a pair of red pants that you can buy at a store than increase your personal skills.

Pants of Charisma +6

I can see it.

JonestheSpy
2009-02-04, 08:21 PM
Any Knights of the Dinner Table fans here? Howzabout those "Pink Leg Warmers of Speed"?

Vizen
2009-02-04, 08:31 PM
I like the idea that there should be an item slot specifically for the legs, though I worry about how well it would stack with other things, after all, we already have feet, chest, arms, hands, head, rings and misc items (such as Ioun Stones).

How about if you add in the legs slot, you make it so x items effects don't stack with y items effects? Not sure how to apply this though. Perhaps something like your Belt of Giant Strength +4 doesn't stack with your Greaves of Power +6?

Deastorm
2009-02-04, 10:29 PM
I like the idea that there should be an item slot specifically for the legs, though I worry about how well it would stack with other things, after all, we already have feet, chest, arms, hands, head, rings and misc items (such as Ioun Stones).

How about if you add in the legs slot, you make it so x items effects don't stack with y items effects? Not sure how to apply this though. Perhaps something like your Belt of Giant Strength +4 doesn't stack with your Greaves of Power +6?

They already have that rule, enhancements of the same type don't stack.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-04, 11:28 PM
there's no underwear in D&D.

Yes there is...of course, with magical underwear comes gender specific magical items, a new reason to play a changeling.

turkishproverb
2009-02-04, 11:47 PM
Any Knights of the Dinner Table fans here? Howzabout those "Pink Leg Warmers of Speed"?

Only come in Gnome size.

Glyphic
2009-02-04, 11:57 PM
I think what hurts the fighters the most about getting magic pants, would be getting all their feats through them!

Fax Celestis
2009-02-04, 11:59 PM
I think what hurts the fighters the most about getting magic pants, would be getting all their feats through them!

That's it. No more puns for you.

AgentPaper
2009-02-05, 12:01 AM
There IS a leg slot, it's called the body slot. This also includes the torso and the upper arms. The lower part of the arms and legs are the hand/bracer and foot slots. It makes sense to have more slots for the hands (6 total if you count hand, arm, 2 rings, and 2 held items) because your hands are what you interact with the world with. You do many, many different things with your hands, while your feet...well, you move around, and maybe sometimes you kick with them. That's about it. You could have a foot and a leg slot, but what would the difference be? You may as well allow a different magic boot on each foot.

When you get magic armor, you are not just getting a magical piece of metal that covers your torso. You are getting a full-body set of clothing, whatever that's made of. If you're really worried about this, allow more flexibility with where your characters can equip the various "slot" items. Let them use the rings as earrings, or piercings. Let them put their bracers on their shins, or on their...uh, let's not get into that. :smalleek:

Anyways, if you really want to, you can add as many magic item slots as you like. Heck, you could just out and let them have as many as they want, especially if they aren't getting many in the first place, in which case it doesn't even matter. Heck, one thing I've always wanted to try would be to forgo magic items altogether, and instead just have the players gain powers from the gods for honor in battle, which just happens to work a lot like magic items do. :smallbiggrin:

Berserk Monk
2009-02-05, 12:45 AM
Because humans get a bonus "feet." Sorry, I have a -54 to perform (comedy).

Ravens_cry
2009-02-05, 12:46 AM
Except for breastplate and chain shirt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm) that only covers the torso. Besides, I know this is a real life example, but with chainmail and plate (and likely other armors as well) undergarments were worn to prevent chafing.
Frankly I like the idea of leg slot.

AgentPaper
2009-02-05, 01:01 AM
Except for breastplate and chain shirt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm) that only covers the torso. Besides, I know this is a real life example, but with chainmail and plate (and likely other armors as well) undergarments were worn to prevent chafing.
Frankly I like the idea of leg slot.

While the actual breastplate or the chain shirt might be the main part of the suit of armor, that doesn't mean that's all you get out of it. It's assumed you get a whole suit of armor. I mean, if you take it literally, your full plate guy is going to chafe a lot, and the breastplate guy is going to be spending a lot of time keeping his trouser titan hidden. :smallredface: Basically, while you're still wearing a breastplate to keep your torso safe, you're also wearing armor on your legs and arms that's part of the same set. Just because your armor includes a breastplate doesn't mean that's the sum of your armor. Other magic items are supposed to represent the smaller parts of your equipment that wouldn't affect AC. If you didn't wear any gloves, or boots, or rings or bracelets or a helmet, you'd still have the main part of your protection down. If you went and took your pants off, well, that's almost half your armor gone right there, so you can't really claim to be wearing a full suit of magic armor anymore.

Nightson
2009-02-05, 02:43 AM
You can wear a magic shirt underneath your full plate armor. You can wear boots, bracers and belts with the armor. But when it comes to the legs suddenly you're unable to wear another set of pants underneath your armor?

lesser_minion
2009-02-05, 03:19 AM
Of course you can't have a leg slot. This game would then be unfair to female characters, who are expected to wear chainmail bikinis into battle, by denying them the benefit of the leg slot for magical items.

Now, if you could come up with a house rule that accurately simulated the Bikini effect in anime (the less you wear, the more invulnerable you are) then introducing a leg slot for magical items becomes a more gender-neutral idea.

Actually, DanD wiki has a feat that simulates the Bikini effect that you describe. Worrying or what? There is also the Vow of Nudity (!) on these forums, meaning that you can now have an exalted nudist. Because obviously clothes are for wimps.

I think I'm in the 'permit leg items' camp regardless of the amount of clothing worn by female RPG characters, however. Who knows, maybe the +6 skirt of protection might even tempt the more stereotypical players of female RPG characters...

Sebastian
2009-02-05, 04:34 AM
Some idea for magical pants, some are serious, some less so (note some or all of them can be converted into skirts or kilt)

Long-legs pants; Your legs (and only your legs)can grow to a length of X , pro, you move faster and, of course you are taller, con; you don't gain reach (except, maybe. with kicks) and of course you are taller (outdoor use is advised, or wear a good helmet)

Pants of the centaur: you can turn your lower body into that of a horse.

Pants of the merman; you turn your lower body into a fish, gain swimming and breath underwater.

pants of the spider; grow four extra legs, gain wall climbing.

(cursed versions of all the above pants have, of course, a permanent effect)

pants of stinking cloud; the effect is centered on you, but you are immune (your allies are not). in cursed versions it is activated randomly.

cursed pants of embarassing noises. In the most inapproapriate moments this pants make farting noises, that can give you a malus to diplomacy intimidate and/or stealth checks, as appropriate.

P.S. One thing I don't like of 3-4th ed D&D magic item sithat I think it sorta dampen immagination, you start to think in term of magic slots and existing spells-effect to apply to them and it can be hard to break out of it. 2nd edition way to handle magic items was much better IMHO, more unbalanced probably, but certainly much more interesting.

Dhavaer
2009-02-05, 05:12 AM
The Book of Erotic Fantasy allows you to wear 'a pair of breeches, trousers, harem pants or a skirt' in your armour/robe slot.

Chrono22
2009-02-05, 07:23 AM
I don't see why not. Probably because designers couldn't think of any magical pants or skirts.
I'm drawing some blanks myself... well...

Pants of Dryness - These black trousers are entirely impervious to water or any other form of liquid (even if immersed). They do not, however, keep the wearer dry.

Musical Pants - *:smallredface:*

Oslecamo
2009-02-05, 08:01 AM
The Book of Erotic Fantasy allows you to wear 'a pair of breeches, trousers, harem pants or a skirt' in your armour/robe slot.

Wich means your upper torso gets naked. Hurrah!

Hmm, chain pants +5 of fortification anyone? This way you can have your swashbuckler with exposed chest!:smallbiggrin:

Or just wear a skirt and leave the legs empty. So many possibilities...

horseboy
2009-02-05, 08:05 AM
You ever play Morrowind? I had magic pants in that game... glorious, yet tight, magical noble pants. Pants? Pfft. Morrowind had a magic thong you got for a quest reward from one of those tribes of villagers out in BFE when you prove to them that you were the Reincarnation.
I was seriously wondering; I have never played a CRPG or PCRPG with a leg slot for equipment.WoW does. They're common in other MMO's I've played. And yes, there there in Morrowind and Oblivion. Personally, I always enchanted mine with Feather. Because Feather is Elder Scroll's Cowbell.

Parachute pants. hehehe Anybody else get a flash back to the ending of Undercover Brother?

Triaxx
2009-02-05, 11:29 AM
I know that Sacred has a greaves slot for a lot of characters, though some have it do double duty for boots/greaves.

I typically just let them have a greaves slot if they need it. Even R.A. Salvatore mentioned this problem at one point.

Delaney Gale
2009-02-07, 09:20 AM
Thus, the existence of magic pants would mean that players may find themselves with the wrong part exposed during battle.

Not like this doesn't happen already... *thinks fondly on how the paladin ended up naked in the Temple of Vecna*

woodenbandman
2009-02-07, 11:52 AM
I consider that between the belt slot and the feet slot your ass and knees are included in those. Or you could have really really really high boots.

aarondirebear
2009-02-07, 01:01 PM
What about a Jockstrap of Fire Death?

Magnor Criol
2009-02-23, 10:58 PM
It's harder to picture someone crafting pands of thunderbolts, which smite the unlucky devil that you knee in the groin.

Maybe...but imagine a pair of Pants of Thunderbolts which fire a Lightning Bolt spell at your enemies. The activation gesture? A pelvic thrust...naturally. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though, I can't really come up with a good argument why there's no legs slot. afro's argument about no mythical precedent makes some sense, but I don't remember any particular stories about legendary armbands or heroic magical gloves, offhand, either. And even so that doesn't seem much of a reason to not have the slot.

It'll take a good bit of crafting to make enough wondrous items to make the slot compete, though.

ericgrau
2009-02-23, 11:30 PM
I just realized that allow magic pants also opens the door for cursed magic items. :smalleek:

Dixieboy
2009-02-23, 11:31 PM
Plenty of "Special" gauntlets in different kinds of mythology

Thor had special gauntlets/gloves/whatever "Járngreipr" (Iron grip, "Jern grebet") (Described as being capable of taking the hit of mjolnir, which is... awe-inspiring)
Same mythos, thor and his entourage spend the night in a pair of gloves, though those were offcourse not really special apart from being really, really big

The story about Aeneas had gloves of "giant weight"

Though again it is merely substance, very big, hard and heavy

Which pretty much fits the description of any "Special" armor ever to be thought off by man

I can think off a few special pants in mythology and myths in general, but most are so obscure that it wouldn't prove a point anyway

MickJay
2009-02-24, 04:22 AM
Anyone remembers the name of that browser rpg where initially you could only wear pants and hats, but had to learn a special skill to realize you could also wear shirts?

Reaper_Monkey
2009-02-24, 06:52 AM
Anyone remembers the name of that browser rpg where initially you could only wear pants and hats, but had to learn a special skill to realize you could also wear shirts?

Kingdom of Loathing, stick figure goodness.

2xMachina
2009-02-24, 07:11 AM
Maybe no one wears pants in D&D?

Or perhaps they don't want people to take off the pants (and walk naked), so would not put a slot for it.

Fizban
2009-02-24, 08:18 AM
Pants? Pfft. Morrowind had a magic thong you got for a quest reward from one of those tribes of villagers out in BFE when you prove to them that you were the Reincarnation.
If you equip said thong, IIRC you will find that it is in fact, a necklace. Thong only recently came to be known as a skimpy piece of women's underwear.

Side-note: for those of you looking for chainmail bikinis, grab your DMG II and lookup the Gloryborn armor template. It gives you extra crit protection or something while making your armor skimipier.

Now as for morrowind: I usually just wore the pants of hiding you got from Cauis Cosades when he left, cause no other pants were worth it. I recently got bored of them however, and since the pants of flying you get for free look like they came from the khaki disco, I crafted Fizban's Pants of Flying in stylish blue. They weigh a lot less than the 30lb Dwemer Boots of Flying, though now my feet are sad.

In regards to DnD, greaves have been suggested as an alternate foot slot for creatures that can't wear boots, so I'd keep them there. Leg slots would be for pants, leggings, skirts, and whatever the technical term is for upper-leg-guards. Although with the recent prevalence of anklets you could use them as your catch-all beast foot slot. One the one hand they're a lot less badass, but on the other hand I love the image of a burly guy stopping in combat to unhook and swap his anklets of translocation. In that case you could make greaves the standard leg slot, with a does of pants and skirts for fun (cause you know you've gotta make the he-man wear a skirt).

And finally, I can't get over the name Pants of Lightning. Pelvic thrusts aside, It would go great with the Shirt of Lightning, which until now made no sense at all. In fact, a lot of the random shirts would feel a lot more justified if they were accompanied by random pants.

Pants of Wonder.

lesser_minion
2009-02-24, 08:44 AM
Side-note: for those of you looking for chainmail bikinis, grab your DMG II and lookup the Gloryborn armor template. It gives you extra crit protection or something while making your armor skimipier.

That sounds marginally ridiculous.

Plus, we now have 4e, which seems to have forced female characters to wear +5 Armour of Actual Armour rather than Armour of Fanservice - unless you're the wizard on the front cover, of course.