PDA

View Full Version : Anything You Can Do... [Creature]

Jack Mann
2006-09-26, 09:44 PM
Hyrak knew there was something different about the rocks. They were too angular, too regular to be natural. Some sort of structure? He had heard tales of old cults and strange tribes on these islands. He motioned to his fellow legionaires to stop. He stepped forward gingerly, wary of the loose rocks underfoot. He tapped the rocks with the butt of his spear. Instead of the expected knock of wood on rock, it gave a dull smack, as though he'd hit a slab of beef.

The rocks quivered, and he jumped back with a curse. A fissure opened in the rock, and something stepped out.

For a moment, Hyrak thought it might have been another legionaire. Its armor was of the same design as his own, but had the same dull brown color as the 'rock' it came from. It carried the same style of spear. Then it began to move, and he saw other differences. There was no break between armor and skin, if skin it had. The spear grew out of the hand. The face was almost identical to his own, but the lips didn't separate, and the nostrils were plugged by more of the same dull brown. Only the eyes gave some break in color. They were black, with red streaks running through them.

It thrust its spear at him, and the battle was joined.

Geminus
Size/Type: Huge Aberration
Hit Dice: 8d8+40 (76 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 0 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (-2 size, -5 Dex, +10 natural, +8 Misc), touch 11, flatfooted 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/–
Attack: –
Full Attack: –
Space/Reach: 15 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Psi-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., psionic resistance 19, Camouflage, Unnatural Physiology, Perverse Dodge, Greater Entropic Shield
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +8
Abilities: Str –, Dex –, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 26
Skills: Concentration 15, Hide +3, Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats: Create Psionic Seal, Improved Toughness, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Any Temperate
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 8-12 HD (Huge), 13-17 HD (Gargantuan), 18 HD+ (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

The Geminus resembles a pile of rock, generally in the same color as the local stone. Close examination will show that its far too angular, almost crystalline. Hidden within this mass are crystalline eyes, small holes through which it breathes, and a large orifice that serves as both mouth and stomach. It can be found in any temperate climate. It is fixed in place, and would be nearly defenseless, if it wasn't able to create its own minions. These creatures, copied from those that come within view of the Geminus, are its primary means of defense, and its hunting tools. They attempt to capture anything that comes near the Geminus, tearing it to pieces and feeding them into the maw, before returning themselves.

A geminus is not very intelligent, and tends not to be very far-thinking. Though it is possible to make a deal with one, it will usually go for quick gratification rather than hold off for the possibility of a larger meal later. They can understand, though not speak, terran.

Camouflage (Ex): The Geminus is the same color as the native rock, whether brown, grey, or speckled. This gives the creature a +16 bonus to hide checks to remain unnoticed.

Unnatural Genesis (Ex): The Geminus can copy any creature within sixty feet that's at least two size categories smaller than it, releasing an Aberrant Ectype from a fissure that appears on its surface. This is a full round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The Geminus cannot create more than four times its hit dice in Aberrant Ectypes a day. It can choose to make ectypes with fewer hit dice than the original creature, but not more, nor more than the Geminus. It can direct the ectypes as a free action.

Psi-like Abilities: 1/day--Fate Link(DC 21); 3/day-- Attraction(DC 19), Cloud Mind (DC 20), Swarm of Crystals; at will--Far Hand, Inertial Armor. Save DCs are charisma based. Manifester level is fifth.

Unnatural Physiology (Ex): The Geminus is immune to critical hits.

Perverse Dodge (Su): The Geminus can distract its foes, keeping blows aimed at it from landing straight. It adds its charisma to its AC.

Greater Entropic Shield (Su): Ranged attacks against the Geminus suffer a 50% miss chance as unnatural harmonies around the creature cause them to go astray.

Tactics

A Geminus prefers to attack at night, when it can take full advantage of its darkvision. When presented with a group, the Geminus will generally copy the most physically intimidating creature it sees, choosing those with impressive weapons or armor (whether natural or manufactured). Once it has copied one, it will look for the next-most powerful creature, often choosing one with abilities different from the first (i.e. a fast, mobile creature after a slow-moving but physically powerful creature). If there is only one that appears physically powerful, it will simply copy that one over and over again. If there is apparent difference between targets, it will choose the closest.

It generally will not make more copies than there are nearby creatures, unless the battle goes poorly. Once battle is fairly joined, it uses its psi-like abilities to support its creations.

Aberrant Ectype

Aberrant Ectypes are copies created by the Geminus. They resemble the original creature, except that they are all in one piece. They are the same color as the Geminus that spawned them, save for their eyes, which are dark with red streaks running through them. They last for twenty-four hours before dying. They can travel only five hundred feet from the Geminus before they are no longer in mental contact, at which point they wander aimlessly and attack the closest creatures they see, including other ectypes. They are treated here as templates on the original creatures.

Size and Type: The ectype's size is the same as the original creature. Its type is aberration.
Hit Dice: The ectype's hit dice are d8, equal to or fewer than the base creature's.
Speed: The ectype has all forms of movement as the base creature.
Armor Class: The ectype gains the armor, shield and natural armor bonuses of the base creature, minus any enhancement bonuses. All bonuses are added into a new natural armor bonus
Base Attack: The ectype has base attack bonus equal to its hit dice.
Attacks: The ectype has any natural weapons of the base creatures had, as well as any weapons (which are then treated as natural weapons).
Damage: All weapons deal damage normally.
Special Attacks: The ectype does not gain any special attacks the base creature had (but see Preternatural Mimicry)
Special Qualities: The ectype loses any special qualities of the base creature, gains darkvision 60', immunity to critical hits, immunity to mind-affecting spells and effects, and the following special qualitis:
Preternatural Mimicry (Su): The ectype can use extraordinary abilities it sees used (for example, a monk's speed, feats such as power attack, evasion, or most maneuvers). It can only learn a certain number of abilities. It has a number of slots for new abilities equal to half its hit dice. When it learns an ability, that slot is filled.
Psionic Seal (Ps): An ectype is created with a psionic seal possessed of the swarm of crystals power. It is triggered when the ectype reaches -10 hit points.
Saves: Base save bonuses are Fort +1/3 Hit Dice, Ref +1/3 Hit Dice, Will +1/2 Hit Dice +2
Abilities: Physical abilities are the same as the base creature, minus any magical or psionic enhancements. It has no intelligence score. Its wisdom is 10, and its charisma is 1.
Skills: An ectype has no skills
Feats: An ectype has no feats of the original creature (but see Preternatural Mimicry)
Environment:[/b] Any Temperate
Organization: –
Challenge Rating: Included in the Geminus
Treasure: None
Alignment: For all purposes relating to spells and effects, the same as the Geminus
Advancement: –
Level Adjustment: –

The following Aberrant Ectype uses a fourth level human fighter as its base.
Aberrant Ectype
Size/Type: Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+1 Dex, +10 natural armor), touch 11, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Masterwork Longsword +7 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Masterwork Longsword +7 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Power Attack
Special Qualities:
Darkvision 60'
Immunity to Critical Hits
Immunity to Mind-affecting Spells and Effects
Preternatural Mimicry: The ectype can use extraordinary abilities it sees used (for example, a monk's speed, feats such as power attack, evasion, or most maneuvers). It can only learn two abilities, one for ever two hit dice it has. The example ecytpe has learned power attack, and can learn one other extraordinary ability.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 14, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: None
Feats: None
Environment: Any Temperate
Organization: --
Challenge Rating: Included in Geminus
Treasure: Standard
[b]Alignment:[b] For all purposes related to spells and effects, chaotic neutral
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: --

-----------------------------------------------

Right, that's what I've got so far. *This is my first monster, so I'm sure I've made some mistakes (despite the excellent help of Gorby and the late, lamented Logic Ninja). *I still need some idea of what the challenge rating is on this thing, and some good psi-like abilities for the Geminus. *The psi-likes should, ideally, be powers that would support the ectypes or protect the Geminus. *I designed the Geminus to be tough enough to last while players fight with the ectypes, but still lacking in any significant offense of its own.

zad101
2006-09-26, 10:41 PM
i believe the CR should be fairly high because when the DM resorts to throwing semi-clones of PC's at the players it usually means there aren't any strong enough monsters to throw at them.

the Geminus itself should have way more HD i think and for the ectypes you should look at the Aleax thats on the wizards site. they are stronger than the PC's but i think for a high CR encounter the ectypes you have presented here are too weak and most PC groups would annhilate them fairly quickly.

thats just what i think and any more experienced people should be free to comment as well.

Jack Mann
2006-09-26, 11:47 PM
The players should never be so powerful that the DM can't challenge them. Tucker's kobolds show that. That's a problem with the DM, and not the purpose of this creature. This creature is meant to be challenging, but not simply because it copies the players. It will almost always be somewhat less powerful, especially when it begins. It doesn't gain magical bonuses to AC or AB, nor magical abilities. It doesn't begin with the extraordinary abilities, but has to watch to see them done. However, the longer it lasts, the more powerful it becomes. And as it does so, more are being created. And if the players have fewer HD than the Geminus, in a standard four-person party, the ectypes can outnumber them*. That's where the challenge comes in.

Ectypes are not perfect clones of the players, nor should they be. They are less powerful. But they still require some amount of strategy to defeat.

*Yes, I know, I said that the Geminus generally wouldn't do that. But once the players start winning, it's going to pull out the stops.

starwoof
2006-09-27, 03:21 AM
Challenging PCs isnt the only reason to clone them. Theres also the psychological effects and such. Though it is fun to watch the cheese-monger's attacks turned back on him. :)

Can the Gemini cast spells/manifest powers? I hope I didn just miss it, I've been away from DnD for months. (Up to my eyeballs in warhammer)

Jack Mann
2006-09-27, 03:29 AM
I'd like to give it some psi-like abilities, preferably ones that protect it or buff up the ectypes. Unfortunately, I'm not much up on psionics.

Grug
2006-09-27, 07:15 PM
You need to say how long the Ectypes last. Otherwise what's to keep this thing from making another 8 guys every day until he has an army (provided there is someone nearby to copy). Good thing the Geminus is too dumb to try it.

I'd say one day or one hour would be a good time limit on the ectypes. You should also determine the range they can go away from the geminus and if and how it communicates with them.

Jack Mann
2006-09-27, 07:36 PM
Okay, added that in. I'd meant to have them last twenty-four hours, but when I was writing the Unnatural Genesis Entry, I decided it would work better in the description of the ectypes. By the time I got to the ectypes description, I'd forgotten about it.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-27, 09:26 PM
I see unnatural grace in the 'special qualities' section of the entry, but I don't see it described anywhere, was that something that you were originally going to do but edited out?

Jack Mann
2006-09-27, 11:12 PM
It was the original name of Perverse Dodge. Unnatural grace just didn't quite fit a creature that can't move.

Jack Mann
2006-09-30, 02:10 PM
On Vorpal's advice, I've added in some psi-like abilities.

Jack Mann
2006-10-31, 03:28 AM
I've added some background on the Geminus and a sample ectype.