PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Polymorph?

theonesin
2009-02-04, 03:35 PM
In a DnD session last night, the party ran into a trap which caused the NPC Bard to turn to stone and die, the Half-something or other Blighter to turn into a Pixie, the Elf Rogue to turn into a Dryad, and my Human Druid to turn into a Quasit (my character took an additional -8 levels, and we were level 9 at the time). I've heard that the negative levels can be cured, but the DM said the monster changes were permanent. One of the players said that the DM let it slip that we were Polymorphed, which from what I read, CANNOT be made permanent.

Anyone run into a situation like this before?

Also, the default stats for a Quasit are for 3HD, but my character is level 1 now. How would I go about figuring out the stats? And what becomes of my old Druid self? Do I just flat-out lose everything or what? I've never ran into this sort of thing before, so I'm rather clueless.

Thanks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-04, 03:49 PM
Polymorph Any Object can be permanent, though. Other than that, your DM seems to be using some houserules, so I can't really help without more information on exactly what happened. Any more about what happened would be helpful.

PinkysBrain
2009-02-04, 04:01 PM
Polymorph generally doesn't grant monster special abilities ... do you have fast healing? If so it's probably a plot device and the DM wants you guys to keep playing as monsters, so don't bother with trying to dispel it :) Otherwise it might be a Polymorph Any Object effect, which can be permanent.

theonesin
2009-02-04, 04:10 PM
I don't know what abilities I have, as the DM hasn't really told me yet other than randomly pulling up the base monster's stats.

As for the trap, here's the summary:

In a room there is a table with four chairs, marked I, II, III, and IV. There is an empty bowl on the table in front of each chair, with handprints on either side of the bowl. In the center of the table is a wine bottle which cannot be picked up or pried open. Breaking the bottle, like I did, caused me the -8 levels, and the bottle regenerated. The four characters sat in the chair (I broke the bottle after sitting), and when we tried to get out of the chairs, we were turned into monsters (except the bard of course). Also, I don't remember what triggered it, but we also had meteors randomly rain down on us once.

Dyllan
2009-02-04, 04:50 PM
The only "legal" way to do that would be with Polymorph Any Object - possibly repeated castings of it. However, that doesn't mean your DM didn't home brew something that works for this specific instance.

As for changing back? The only way I know of (short of wish or miracle) would be to use Polymorph Any Object to reverse the effect. That should work regardless of how you were changed. Of course, you're nowhere near having access to that.

As for losing 8 levels. Did he say you lost 8 levels, or took 8 negative levels? If they're negative levels, you have 24 hours to remove them - I believe restoration does the trick, or a heal spell, if memory serves. After that, you make a fort save to keep them from being permanent.

Even if they are made permanent, they can still be restored with the proper spell... not sure if it's restoration or greater restoration at that point - or maybe something else.

Hope that was helpful, at least.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-04, 05:35 PM
The only "legal" way to do that would be with Polymorph Any Object - possibly repeated castings of it. However, that doesn't mean your DM didn't home brew something that works for this specific instance.

As for changing back? The only way I know of (short of wish or miracle) would be to use Polymorph Any Object to reverse the effect. That should work regardless of how you were changed. Of course, you're nowhere near having access to that.

Permanent means you can dispel.
The DM meant instanteous if he can't dispel. Unless it is a curse (curses require remove curse).

Also, the default stats for a Quasit are for 3HD, but my character is level 1 now. How would I go about figuring out the stats? And what becomes of my old Druid self? Do I just flat-out lose everything or what? I've never ran into this sort of thing before, so I'm rather clueless.

Basically, you lose nothing class based.
You lose all racial benefits/bonuses, but gain the racial score bonuses from Quasit.
You can extraordinary attacks.
This includes: Poison attack.
-2 Str/+6 Dex/+2 Wis.
Claws Primary/Bite secondary.Fly speed 50 (perfect). +3 Natural armor. You are tiny.
And I think that is it.

You lose the Human Bonus feat and I guess skill bonus (+1/level).

Really, it is a good trade.

PinkysBrain
2009-02-04, 05:39 PM
In a room there is a table with four chairs, marked I, II, III, and IV. There is an empty bowl on the table in front of each chair, with handprints on either side of the bowl. In the center of the table is a wine bottle which cannot be picked up or pried open. Breaking the bottle, like I did, caused me the -8 levels, and the bottle regenerated. The four characters sat in the chair (I broke the bottle after sitting), and when we tried to get out of the chairs, we were turned into monsters (except the bard of course). Also, I don't remember what triggered it, but we also had meteors randomly rain down on us once.
It sounds like an obtuse puzzle which you still haven't solved. My guess is that if you sit back down you will be returned to your natural forms and something will happen if you all put your hands next to the bowls ... alternatively one more character in your party might get turned to stone too of course.

Anyway, with detect magic you can detect whether you are PAO'd (it has a strong transmutation aura, I doubt any of you have items with strong auras). Spellcraft check too, but that is a DC28 check for PAO.

Myou
2009-02-04, 05:41 PM
Does you DM hate you all?
That sounds like a really nasty way to really screw everyone over and ruin their characters by trying to make them play something totally different to the character they wanted and created.

"Congratulations, you're now a level 1 kobold. What's that, you don't actually want to have an unplayable character or be an ugly little lizard man? In that case... meteors fall! Everyone dies!"

Good luck getting back to normal. xP