PDA

View Full Version : LA for the Demilich template?

PrGo
2009-02-05, 08:27 AM
Well the headline says it all. My brother wants to make one so I was wondering if there is a 3.5 version of the Demilich or at least Level Adjustment for the 3E one from the Epic Level Handbook.

Thanks in advance.

Alleine
2009-02-05, 11:30 AM
Right here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm) No LA, but it takes XP to change. You have to have been a regular lich first though.

Delaney Gale
2009-02-05, 02:17 PM
Well the headline says it all. My brother wants to make one so I was wondering if there is a 3.5 version of the Demilich or at least Level Adjustment for the 3E one from the Epic Level Handbook.

Thanks in advance.

The sample one's a 21st level wizard and comes out at a challenge rating 29, so the stupid answer is LA +8, but adding the requirement that you must have once been a lich makes it inaccessible at anything lower than level 23 or so.

What kind of game are you playing in that makes a demilich a PC option? Sounds like cheesy good fun :)

AmberVael
2009-02-05, 02:19 PM
The sample one's a 21st level wizard and comes out at a challenge rating 29, so the stupid answer is LA +8, but adding the requirement that you must have once been a lich makes it inaccessible at anything lower than level 23 or so.

What kind of game are you playing in that makes a demilich a PC option? Sounds like cheesy good fun :)

CR =/= ECL. CR adjustments =/= LA adjustments.

So honestly, the ECL is fairly unclear.

PrGo
2009-02-05, 02:36 PM
Well my bro just got totally into it and already made all the plans for when we get to epic levels so I wanna let him play it by finding the proper LA so he doesn't jump from the group so much with immortality and magic immunity :P

Zweanslord
2009-02-05, 02:58 PM
Per the table on page 156 of the Epic Level Handbook, the ECL of a 21-HD demilich is ECL 33. This means LA of a demilich is +12, however note that 4 of those is from the lich template which was applied in the first place. So: Lich is +4 LA and Demilich is +8 LA, together for a total of +12 LA.
Note that the same LA applies to 3.5, since the Epic Level Handbook got a to-3.5 update and the LA was not changed.

bosssmiley
2009-02-05, 03:05 PM
Demilich LA? Somewhere between "No!" and "Hell, NO!". The Demilich template is broken, broken, broken, and definitely not intended for PC use. :smallamused:

Insight bonus = HD to hit and AC.
A cheesed-out Trap the Soul attack with a DC set by full (rather then 1/2) HD.
Undead creation as at-will SLAs.
Magic immunity.
Immunity to turning and almost every status effect.
Phylactery transference cheese.
Asspulled bonuses to stats and skills.

If you want to play an epic lich character may I suggest the DiceFreaks lich template progression (http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14) instead of the dead end (no pun intended) that is Demilich.

Mooch
2009-02-06, 09:29 AM
While on the topic of liches are there any creative ways to protect their Phylactery with traps or other devices/spells.

Already have an idea to put it in an underground cavern with no doors and a nondetection like effect on it that the lich can teleport out of, keeping an extra set of gear etc there

any other ideas?

monty
2009-02-06, 10:44 AM
While on the topic of liches are there any creative ways to protect their Phylactery with traps or other devices/spells.

Already have an idea to put it in an underground cavern with no doors and a nondetection like effect on it that the lich can teleport out of, keeping an extra set of gear etc there

any other ideas?

I seem to remember one a while ago involving putting it in a stone golem and imprisoning it on the moon, or something like that.