PDA

View Full Version : Looking for source of feat possibly called Versatile Turning

Tubercular Ox
2009-02-05, 01:40 PM
Someone in the favorite feat thread mentioned a feat called Versatile Turning that let you pick a number of subtypes equal to your wisdom modifier that one can turn or rebuke in addition to undead. I have wanted a character that can do something like that for many years. I've asked in the thread and no one reading it knows the source, so I'm appealing to everyone who doesn't care to read threads like "Favorite Feat." Does anyone know the source of this feat or a feat like this feat (one that expands your turning capabilities)?

Edit: I'm tired, fixed some extended typos.

Eldariel
2009-02-05, 01:59 PM
That's not the name unless it's in an obscure 3rd party source. I went through a few indexes along with running internet searches and found nothing.

Nohwl
2009-02-05, 04:51 PM
you just want a character that has the ability to turn a lot of different things?

monty
2009-02-05, 05:06 PM
I think I remember someone mentioning that it's a homebrew feat or something like that. Have you tried searching these forums?

Person_Man
2009-02-05, 05:17 PM
Before it was mentioned on the favorite feat thread, I have never heard of it. And I've read pretty much every D&D book since 1st ed. Maybe it's a Dragon or Dungeon feat. If not, it's probably homebrew (and a broken homebrew feat at that). I suggest you just write up a Paladin-ish PrC that grants various Turning abilities.

Tubercular Ox
2009-02-05, 07:08 PM
Yeah, it did sound broken. Ah well.

The character I want to play would be a religious zealot pursuing the destruction of all that is unnatural, by his definition. Ideally this would include undead, constructs, aberrations, and oppositely aligned outsiders (evil in this case). Sure, there's ranger favored enemies, but they're the result of training, and I kinda want the Divine blessing, y'know? And smiting them from afar with my holy symbol held aloft.

My current DM likes Eberron... so the character would probably have a complicated relationship with Warforged. Probably wouldn't include them on the List to Kill, but if there is a disparaging, politically incorrect term for Warforged, he uses it a lot.

I've seen a few prestige classes that come close.. the Exorcist being able to stun evil outsiders, for example. I thought for sure I saw one that could lay the smack on aberrations, but I can't find it again.

I suppose I shall turn this into a call for advice. I don't know how to balance homebrew, so if anyone knows anything that can help that's sold in gaming stores let me know. Although I'll consider advice on homebrews. Is there a class, other than Ranger, that would be more appropriate? I really like the idea of turning here, but I guess it's time to be flexible.

EDIT: The reason I like turning is because it's such a weird ability. Way back in 1st edition where the books listed "Silver Cross" instead of "Silver Holy Symbol," it made a kind of sense, but now that there are so many Gods out there with varying priorities, it's just a holdover. I'm sure that's why there are so many Divine feats that give you other uses for it; they're trying to paper over it. I've already played a turning-focused cleric, using DMM of course, but other abilities, too. It was a lot of fun. It was kind of like having a little sorcerer alter ego built into my cleric.

Keld Denar
2009-02-05, 07:35 PM
It should be noted there there are quite a few ways to turn things other than Undead. Complete Champion has a spell called Turn Anathema, which allows you to turn creatures with a subtype opposite one part of your alignment, so a NG cleric could turn [Evil] and a CE cleric could turn [Lawful] or [Good] per casting. Its only a 2nd level spell, so its easy to quicken, or combine with the Quicken Turning feat for 1 round turnage. There are also the various Elemental domains which allow you to turn opposite elements and rebuke similar elements. The Scalykind domain allows you to rebuke lizards and stuff, and the Vermin domain lets you turn rats and things. Plant domain also allows you to turn plants.

Thus, you COULD build a cleric who can turn a great deal of things, but you'd need more planning than a single feat to do it. You'd probably also annoy the HELL out of your DM, just ask Afroakuma. :P

Tacoma
2009-02-05, 07:35 PM
You can kind of get the same effect by picking the right Cleric domains. And I'm sure a PrC that had a specific "turn outsiders as if they were undead" ability wouldn't be overpowered. You just need to find three or four of those.

By the way, turning Plant and Construct creatures will give you the most mileage. You just don't encounter oozes enough, and those three plus Undead are the ones far and away most often immune to Sneak Attack and Critical Hits, charms and paralysis, etc. You're making up for their special defenses so they're actually not tougher than other creatures. I pursue the same strategy with favored enemies when I have them.

Unless your DM has a lot of one type of creature in his campaign. Of course.

EDIT: 35% ninja's by Keld Denar! Blast you and your typing and posting of text!

Bugbeartrap
2009-02-05, 09:53 PM
To further your turning abilities:
1. check out the feat "Blessed by Tem-et-nu" in Sandstorm
2. Rofl
3. Defend the world from the Hungry Hungry Menace.

The Glyphstone
2009-02-05, 10:48 PM
And to get all those domains, definitely look at the Contemplative class from CDivine - lots and lots of juicy bonus domains.

Nohwl
2009-02-05, 11:04 PM
the most turning i can think of is, if you play a cleric that has the water and air domains. you could turn or rebuke all of the basic elementals in addition to undead.

take enough levels in contemplative to get 2 extra domains and get the moon domain to be able to turn lyncanthropes, and plant to rebuke plants.

you could use that spell that was mentioned to add things that are opposite of your alignment to the list of things you can turn. it would probably be best to not pick neutral as one of your alignments.

you could try and convince your dm to allow you to take that blessed by tem et nu feat. try saying that you worship more than one god, so you can justify picking the domains you want and qualifying for the feat.

edit: is there any way to get 4 or 5 more bonus domains?

theres cold, scalykind, slime and spider which all give rebuking.

Person_Man
2009-02-05, 11:10 PM
Banisher of the Profane

Requirements: Ability to Turn Undead, Knowledge (Religion) 7 ranks, Extra Turning feat.

Full BAB, d8 hit dice, 4 Skill Points per level, strong Will Save.

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (n/a).

Class Abilities:

Turn Undead: Banisher of the Profane levels stack with levels of other classes to determine the strength of your Turn Undead ability. In addition, you gain +3 to your effective cleric level for the purpose of turning undead.

Paladin Spells: Your Banisher of the Profane levels stack with any levels of Paladin that you possess to progress your Paladin spellcasting.

Banish the Profane: At first level, you gain the ability to turn enemies of your faith. Choose an enemy type from the following list; Aberration, Constructs, Dragons, Elementals, Fey, Giants, Ooze, or Outsiders. You may turn enemies of this type the same way you Turn Undead. Doing so consumes two Turn Undead uses. Feats, spell, items, etc., that modify your ability to Turn Undead do not effect your ability to Turn creatures other types using this ability.

Alternatively, you may choose a single specific enemy, such as manticores, doppelganger, drow, duergar, etc. If you choose this option, you may turn that enemy in the same way that you Turn Undead, but doing so consumes only one Turn Undead use, and feats, spells items, etc., that modify your ability to Turn Undead do effect that specific creature.

You gain this ability again at every odd level.

Banish the Profane: At 10th level, you may apply your Turn Undead ability to any enemy with an Evil subtype, regardless of type.

Just need some class abilities for levels 2, 4, 6, and 8. Ideas?

Nohwl
2009-02-05, 11:11 PM
is that homebrew?