PDA

View Full Version : Blades of Earth and Adamant [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-09-26, 12:28 AM
Adamant Reaver
Size/Type: Huge Elemental (Earth)
Hit Dice: 16d8+96 (168 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), burrow 100 ft.
Armor Class: 27 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +20 natural), touch 7, flatfooted 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+30
Attack: Claw +20 melee (1d10+10/19-20)
Full Attack: 4 Claws +20 melee (1d10+10/19-20)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, maneuvers, rend
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., spell resistance 22, stances, tremorsense 120 ft.
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 8, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +10, Intimidate +11, Listen +12, Martial Lore +12, Spot +12
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative
Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 17-24 HD (Huge), 25-32 HD (Gargantuan), 33 HD+ (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

The Adamant Reavers are among the greatest powers of the Elemental Plane of Earth. Made from living, elemental adamantine, they are feared and respected for their martial prowess and unnerving aggression. It is said the first masters of the Iron Heart and Stone Dragon disciplines based their maneuvers on tales of the great elementals. They stand about thirty feet high, and weigh in at fifteen tons. Their body is made wholly of a matte black adamantine, and is highly angular. It is vaguely humanoid in structure, with a pair of legs, four sword-like arms, and a small, dome-like head. Tales of even greater reavers have been told, adamantine juggernauts who roam the planes in defense of the elemental force of earth. Upon death, the body of a reaver disperses throughout the earth, leaving behind no concentration of adamantine greater than a pound. Many dwarven cults revere them as gods, or emissaries of the divine.

Augmented Critical (Ex)
An Adamant Reaver’s claw threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 19-20.

Maneuvers (Ex)
An Adamant Reaver has knowledge of several martial maneuvers from the Iron Heart and Stone Dragon disciplines.It may ready eight of its sixteen known maneuvers. It has an initiator level of 16th. It can restore an expended maneuver as a swift action, which must be followed by a melee attack or a standard action, like a warblade. It may change its readied maneuvers by meditating for five minutes. For every additional HD it gains, its initiator level increases by one, and it learns an additional maneuver. For every two HD it gains, it gains an additional maneuver readied, and may exchange one of its maneuvers known for another.

Typical Maneuvers Known
Strikes: adamantine bones (8th), adamantine hurricane* (8th), bonesplitting strike (4th), colossus strike* (7th), dazing strike (5th), earthquake strike* (8th), elder mountain hammer (5th), finishing move* (7th), irresistible mountain strike (6th)
Boosts: boulder roll (4th), iron heart endurance* (6th), scything blade* (7th)
Counters: iron heart focus (5th), lightning recovery* (4th), manticore parry* (6th)
Other: iron heart surge (3rd)
*Typically Readied

Rend (Ex)
If an Adamant Reaver hits with at least two claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d10+15 points of damage.

Stances (Ex)
An Adamant Reaver has knowledge of several martial stances from the Iron Heart and Stone Dragon disciplines. It can change stances as a swift action. For every five additional HD it gains, it learns and additional stance.

Typical Stances Known
absolute steel stance (3rd), dancing blade form (5th), giant’s stance (5th), punishing stance (1st)

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 09:00 PM
And this will, I suppose, be the footsoldiers of your army. That's not very nice for me, as I'll have to find a balanced way to defeat these things. Anyway, this seems to be an excellent creature, though I wouldn't know as I have no idea how stances and maneuvers work. damage reduction 15 on a CR 10 creture seems pretty high, though.

bosssmiley
2006-09-29, 08:36 AM
Errr, OK. Cool and flavourful. I'm getting images of the Hercules and Antaeus fight from Greek myth.

Could you maybe add a few suggestions for the non-ToB gamers among us though. I have no problem retrofitting psionic monsters with sorceror levels, but ToB is a closed book to me.
Would you say something like integrated monk levels equal to 1/2 HD maybe? :-/

v your glassy-eyed zeal for this book is duly noted and taken as a heartfelt word-of-mouth recommendation. :)

Hyrael
2006-09-29, 01:13 PM
then buy tome of battle. It's like at most $20 off amazon, and it's worth the $30 to buy it in-store.

Yes, you heard me. It's worth the $30 store price. Yes, its that good