PDA

View Full Version : Who would be wearing the dragon's mate? Are they important?

paladinofshojo
2009-02-05, 06:27 PM
I'm just wondering when the dragon said her mate was killed and turned into armour by a party leader, it seemed something like an odd bit of foreshadowing to me. Why would she need to put unneccessary emphasis on her husband when she is avenging her son? Your thoughts?

Ragn Charran
2009-02-05, 06:50 PM
Spoiler'd for the Giant's benefit:

My money is on Nale and Elan's dad, he's wearing black in Nale's restrospective.

This presents interesting ties to Haley if the predictions that Elan and Nale's dad is also Lord Tyrania come to be true, she may or may not get an unusual ally for rescuing her father.

Kaytara
2009-02-05, 07:05 PM
I don't think it's anyone we know. The identity of that adventurer can only play a role if the dragon remains in the story long enough to cross paths with them. For the above suggestion, I think the dragon will be dealt with, one way or another, long before the Order runs into Lord Tyrinar.

Not to mention that the death of the male dragon probably happened quite some time ago, since the impression we get is that the mother raised her offspring by herself. So we're talking decades here. A human adventurer would be old and wrinkled by now, and we don't know any elves who wear armour.

Assassin89
2009-02-05, 07:07 PM
How about some random druid? I do not really see the benefits of wearing dragonhide armor for anyone but a druid.

Janmorel
2009-02-05, 08:43 PM
It would be a nice bit of symmetry if someone from the Order of the Scribble turned out to have slain the dragon.

But it was probably just a random adventurer who existed to give Mama Dragon some extra bitter backstory.

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-05, 08:57 PM
It would be a nice bit of symmetry if someone from the Order of the Scribble turned out to have slain the dragon.

But it was probably just a random adventurer who existed to give Mama Dragon some extra bitter backstory.

I like your theory, but Soon, who we can assume is the party leader, nor any of the other members of the Scribble Order, wore black armor.

Warren Dew
2009-02-05, 11:56 PM
An unlikely possibility, but Redcloak wears black armor.

Babale
2009-02-06, 01:16 AM

as does every cannon-fodder goblin up to comic 120.

GSFB
2009-02-07, 12:40 AM
Ragn Charran, I agree with your spoiler and was going to post it before I read you beat me to it.

This ties in to another theory I have written about elsewhere involving Sabine, Qarr, Hell, Tiamat, Snarl, the Oracle and the dragon... could all tie together...

LurkerInPlayground
2009-02-07, 01:57 AM
It could also just be black clerical robes.

OmegaDonut
2009-02-07, 11:22 AM
It could also just be black clerical robes.

SOD Spoilers:

:mitd: Cool! So what's your name?
:redcloak: They call me 'Redcloak'.
:mitd: Really? Why?
:redcloak: ...
:redcloak: Because I wear black armor.

Oslecamo
2009-02-07, 11:55 AM
Shadow;5735145']I like your theory, but Soon, who we can assume is the party leader, nor any of the other members of the Scribble Order, wore black armor.

Not to mention, the dragon's mate was probably EPIC. And mommy doesn't seem to have gotten their revenge on them.

The party that took it down had to be quite strong by then, and now is probably epic.

Hmm, it would be quite ironic if said party teleports in the last moment to kill the mommy dragon, who has finally revealed herself after years of hiding. So the party leader can get some new gloves.

NerfTW
2009-02-07, 02:52 PM
I don't think it's anyone we know. The identity of that adventurer can only play a role if the dragon remains in the story long enough to cross paths with them. For the above suggestion, I think the dragon will be dealt with, one way or another, long before the Order runs into Lord Tyrinar.

Not to mention that the death of the male dragon probably happened quite some time ago, since the impression we get is that the mother raised her offspring by herself. So we're talking decades here. A human adventurer would be old and wrinkled by now, and we don't know any elves who wear armour.

Grandpa Greenhilt, perhaps?

Occasional Sage
2009-02-07, 09:01 PM
Frankly, I've always wanted to see some cocky adventurer with dragonhide armor get isolated from his party, right before his armor is targeted with a Resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm). Hilarity ensues.

In fact, this could be V's bargaining chip with Mom.

EDIT: Hmm. As a 7th level spell, you'd need a 13th level caster, which means Dad couldn't have been dead more than 130 years. Assuming that Junior is a Young Adult or Juvenile (based on his living at home, his reading material, and Mom's comments about dating), we're well within the spell's limits. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm)

Prak
2009-02-08, 04:40 AM
If they killed a dragon, yes they are someone important, but not necessarily to this story, only the world.

pnewman
2009-02-08, 06:06 AM
How about some random druid? I do not really see the benefits of wearing dragonhide armor for anyone but a druid.

Not all armor made out of dragonskin is hide armor. In D&D 3rd ed You can make a suit of half-plate armor from the skin (large scales as armor plates) of a dragon three size categories larger than you are. Thus the dragons mate, assuming it was the same size at death as she is now, could be used to make small (halfling or gnome) sized half-plate, with enough left over for a shield. If the party leader were human sized (two categories smaller) than they could make banded mail and a shield.

Prak
2009-02-08, 06:22 AM
Not all armor made out of dragonskin is hide armor. In D&D 3rd ed You can make a suit of half-plate armor from the skin (large scales as armor plates) of a dragon three size categories larger than you are. Thus the dragons mate, assuming it was the same size at death as she is now, could be used to make small (halfling or gnome) sized half-plate, with enough left over for a shield. If the party leader were human sized (two categories smaller) than they could make banded mail and a shield.
It's still of primary usefullness to Druids, it costs twice as much, and doesn't provide a benefit aside from not being metal.

Spiryt
2009-02-08, 06:42 AM
Shadow;5735145']I like your theory, but Soon, who we can assume is the party leader, nor any of the other members of the Scribble Order, wore black armor.

Meh. To make leather wearable, you put it under many tanning processes which may easily result in colour change.

So, I bet
Captain Scoundrel! His coat must be leather :smallbiggrin:

Spiky
2009-02-10, 07:27 PM
Leather comes from cows, does it not? Wouldn't it be called something else from a dragon?

LtNOWIS
2009-02-10, 07:51 PM
You can make leather from other animals. It's not cow-exclusive.

dresdor
2009-02-10, 08:44 PM
I still think it's Horace Greenhilt, wearing the ABD's Green Dragon mate's skin. She is very open minded ya know.

Prak
2009-02-10, 08:47 PM
You can make leather from other animals. It's not cow-exclusive.

Like people.

Assassin89
2009-02-10, 08:58 PM
Like people.

Not to mention kobolds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0069.html)