PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a word that means...

Dyllan
2009-02-05, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for a word that means "without language"

I'm trying to describe something that's intelligent, but doesn't have a language or even understand the concept of a language, and I can't think of a good word for that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The Neoclassic
2009-02-05, 10:32 PM
Intriguing question... All I can think of is "alingual", but that's not great. Looking into Latin or Greek root words might help. Assuming you want to make up a word (since I can't think of any existing word that would work).

Serpentine
2009-02-05, 11:20 PM
I think "alingual" works pretty well - goes with "bilingual" and the like.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-02-05, 11:42 PM
I would describe them as such and make up a term. One does not exist, as a rather advanced degree of language is required for most peoples' definitions of "intelligent" to be met; acquisition of language is one of the primary methods used to differentiate humans from other animals, scientifically, especially in cognitive/linguistic studies.

Rutskarn
2009-02-06, 12:12 AM
If you're going for technical, I'd go alingual.

If you're going for colloquial, I'd go with tongueless.

Dyllan
2009-02-06, 12:16 AM
Intriguing question... All I can think of is "alingual", but that's not great. Looking into Latin or Greek root words might help. Assuming you want to make up a word (since I can't think of any existing word that would work).

Thank you. Alingual is a perfect word for it, I think.

afroakuma
2009-02-06, 12:41 AM
"Mute?"

I'm sure there is one, but it is not coming to me, sadly.

Serpentine
2009-02-06, 01:28 AM
I would describe them as such and make up a term. One does not exist, as a rather advanced degree of language is required for most peoples' definitions of "intelligent" to be met; acquisition of language is one of the primary methods used to differentiate humans from other animals, scientifically, especially in cognitive/linguistic studies.'course, the definitions of "what makes humans different to other animals" keep changing, including that of what exactly constitutes "language", which makes it a bit difficult for cognitive zoologists to concretely do their work. Also, language would probably only develop in a social species, whereas intelligence could develop elsewhere.
Just sayin' :smallwink:

Kneenibble
2009-02-06, 01:32 AM
I'd go with illingual instead of alingual. The prefix a(b)- is not so directly negative in Latin like that. Illingual.

Serpentine
2009-02-06, 01:34 AM
Sounds like a dictionary made by Macintosh...

Toastkart
2009-02-06, 07:24 AM
The word 'nonverbal' is used to refer to aspects of intelligence or communication that don't require language. It's used a lot in comprehensive intelligence tests to measure a person's intelligence even if their language is impaired or nonexistent. There are a few other psychological tests that make use of it as well.

kamikasei
2009-02-06, 10:23 AM
Dumb.

It's where the phrase "dumb beasts" comes from. Obviously animals can make sounds, but they're called "dumb" because they can't speak.

Depending on your use of the word, this should cover it pretty well.

The Demented One
2009-02-06, 10:37 PM
I think aphasic is what you're looking for.

Rutskarn
2009-02-06, 10:38 PM
The word 'nonverbal' is used to refer to aspects of intelligence or communication that don't require language. It's used a lot in comprehensive intelligence tests to measure a person's intelligence even if their language is impaired or nonexistent. There are a few other psychological tests that make use of it as well.

That doesn't work--all it means is a lack of verbal communication.

This refers to no communication whatsoever.

Telonius
2009-02-06, 10:57 PM
Okay, unpacking a little bit here ... it's intelligent, so it has thoughts and (presumably) is self-aware. Communication is moving an idea from one head to another. So I would think it has to be some sort of a hive-mind or collective consciousness, where it either can't conceive of something that's not-it, or couldn't conceive of an idea that doesn't occur to everything all at once.

Stormthorn
2009-02-07, 12:22 AM
I think aphasic is what you're looking for.

People with Aphasia can understand the concept of language and some types of Aphasia have almost no effect on understanding spoken word itself. Even the most severe cases can usualy say something like Brocas famous severly aphasiac patiant Tan. Who could only say Tan like one of those naked-on-arrival girls from the echi anime who only know one sound.

Why is such a word even exist? As far as we know nothing exists that is intelligent but lacking language so such a word would be pointless. Even animals and insects have language. Bees dance, dogs bark and have body language. Whales sing. One type of monkey even has a series of warning calls that sound different for different preditors. Its standardized amongst all monkeys in that species and can be considered an example of non-human word use.

Yarram
2009-02-07, 06:55 AM
There is one: Language-less

Easy see? If a word doesn't exist, make one up. +D